CalStateTempe

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m gonna turn today into a half day
97cats

Post by 97cats »

The last No. 1 seed takes the floor

Three No. 1 seeds got their NCAA Tournament started on Thursday leaving just Arizona, the No. 1 in the South Region, as the last top seed to take the floor. The Wildcats stood on Selection Sunday as the winningest team in college basketball with a record of 31-3 losses having swept both the regular season and conference tournament titles in the Pac-12. The backdrop of Arizona's return to prominence is not only the high-flying performance on the floor but the presence of first-year coach Tommy Lloyd on the sideline. Lloyd was hired to replace Sean Miller after two decades of being an assistant at Gonzaga, and he's garnered attention for National Coach of the Year honors after taking a program that had not finished better than fifth in the conference standings in the last three seasons all the way back to the top of the league and also the sport.

The first game of the Wildcats' first NCAA Tournament campaign since 2018 will be on Friday vs. Wright State at 7:27 p.m. The Wildcats are heavy favorites in the game and enter the day still as a popular pick to make it out of the South Region. Wright State is coming out of Dayton after defeating Bryant but there's a big step up in competition facing Arizona's size with two all-conference bigs in Azoulas Tubelis and Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year Christian Koloko, as well as a future lottery pick with Pac-12 Player of the Year Bennedict Mathurin. With Final Four expectations and the other No. 1 seeds already finished with their first game of the tournament, Friday in San Diego will be a chance to put another title contender under the microscope.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ne-friday/
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Hoping for a 4 OT thriller with Hall and TCU!
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Wright State has a chance to win today. Stranger things have happened. But did anyone catch the Zags game yesterday? Close game for about 25 minutes, until Few dictates the only two Zags players to take a shot in the half court set were Timme and Holmgren. They dominated inside, and GSU eventually wore down. Gonzaga won by 20. Does anyone think Wright State has an answer for Koloko, Zu, and Ballo? If it's a close game in the 2nd half, Tommy should follow what his mentor did, and let the bigs dominate. Anyone else taking a shot, it better be a layup or dunk.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:59 am See, I refuse to root for either team we may or may not play.

I think it's tempting the jinx God's.
Same here
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The first game of the Wildcats' first NCAA Tournament campaign since 2018 will be on Friday vs. Wright State at 7:27 p.m.
Sling tv? 4:27 MT?

found it..

No. 1 Arizona vs. No. 16 Wright State 7:27 p.m. truTV, Sling TV

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... jamfx402dr
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:59 am See, I refuse to root for either team we may or may not play.

Not rooting for the Hall but just what I think will happen
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:31 am

Same here
Basketball God: Well, did you get the team you wanted to go against?

You: Yes!

Basketball God: I'll you give you the team you wanted to play!

You: Ow!

Basketball God: How does that feel? Here's the team you wanted to win that game!

Basketball God: Here's your preferred opponent!

You: Owwwwwwwwww!!!

Basketball God: This will teach you who to root for!!

You:: Ow! I'm sorry! Owwwwwww!!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am

Same here

Basketball God: How does that feel? Here's the team you wanted to win that game!

That is 100% what I was like when Xavier beat FSU in 2017.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:28 am Wright State has a chance to win today. Stranger things have happened. But did anyone catch the Zags game yesterday? Close game for about 25 minutes, until Few dictates the only two Zags players to take a shot in the half court set were Timme and Holmgren. They dominated inside, and GSU eventually wore down. Gonzaga won by 20. Does anyone think Wright State has an answer for Koloko, Zu, and Ballo? If it's a close game in the 2nd half, Tommy should follow what his mentor did, and let the bigs dominate. Anyone else taking a shot, it better be a layup or dunk.

I mean, there's always a chance, but we are better in every way. You just have to play like it. To me, the biggest thing is D. The size and length of our starters should be able to suffocate them. Then, just make a few shots and you're home.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:21 am
Longhorned wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 am

Same here

That is 100% what I was like when Xavier beat FSU in 2017.
Random but 11 Xavier beat 3 FSU in 2017, the next year, FSU got revenge as a 9 while Xavier was a 1
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Apparently this new Wilson ball sucks and has contributed to a bunch of slow starts in a ton of the games

Wouldn't be surprised if the game starts off slow if it's in the half court
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Let's fucking go!

(that's after one cup of coffee. after two more, I could basically put on the Wilbur suit)
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Based on today's action, I think playing on Friday is an advantage because the top seeded teams are playing with a purpose today.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The Arizona game thread is up
prh

Post by prh »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:53 am Apparently this new Wilson ball sucks and has contributed to a bunch of slow starts in a ton of the games

Wouldn't be surprised if the game starts off slow if it's in the half court
Seems like 3 point shooting has been terrible on the whole so far in the tournament
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

C'mon Delaware
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I'm a little ambivalent about today's win. The numbers look great, but don't tell the whole story.

Our entry passes need a lot of work, especially the one's in traffic. We have a nice little turnover machine with a lot of these passes because they're easily picked off. I still worry about Zu and how loose he can be with the ball at times, as well as Mathurin. I chalk a lot of that up to being unsettled as its their first tourney game.

50-50 rebounds are of concern too, but I'm far more worried about taking care of the ball and cutting down the entry pass turnovers. I've gotta feeling that either Seton Hall/TCU is going to try to Baylor us. They've got a different class of athlete on those teams.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RawleArenas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:04 pm I'm a little ambivalent about today's win. The numbers look great, but don't tell the whole story.

Our entry passes need a lot of work, especially the one's in traffic. We have a nice little turnover machine with a lot of these passes because they're easily picked off. I still worry about Zu and how loose he can be with the ball at times, as well as Mathurin. I chalk a lot of that up to being unsettled as its their first tourney game.

50-50 rebounds are of concern too, but I'm far more worried about taking care of the ball and cutting down the entry pass turnovers. I've gotta feeling that either Seton Hall/TCU is going to try to Baylor us. They've got a different class of athlete on those teams.
It almost looked to me like our size advantage was so pronounced that we got a little sloppy with those entry passes, and CK was't as assertive as usual grabbing the ball and moving to the hoop in one fluid motion, like he usually does.

My main concern is turnovers. It's been a problem all year, so it's probably unrealistic to expect a significant improvement over the next few games. But if we give it away 15+ times vs. a better team, we're not winning. Think it's that simple.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TCU's defense is nasty.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sure looks like our region will go chalk. Not surprising because that’s how our luck generally is in these things.

No issues though. We will take out the 8 or 9 then have a tough one against probably Houston and then the big one, Tennessee
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:19 pm TCU's defense is nasty.
I concur :shock:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RawleArenas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:04 pm I'm a little ambivalent about today's win. The numbers look great, but don't tell the whole story.

Turnovers have been a number that correlates strongly to our L's. Shooting % does too, and the thing is if we lose, it will be due to shooting poorly and giving too many possessions away.

If we don't turn it over, we're generally too efficient to lose unless we're ice cold.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not watching this one. How's their size? Because the nastiest D in the country is still going to have trouble with us unless they've got some guys 6'10 or taller.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Very physical game

TCU will be a tough opponent
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did anyone see that Purdue has Yao Ming part 2?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Is Avery calling Sunday's game?

His voice is just killing me
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Doesn't look like TCU has much on the offensive end.

Also, just noticed that Charles O'Bannon's son is on TCU.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

The problem with TCU is that if they were in a less competitive conference, they would be ranked. A lot of their losses were close too. They're KenPom top 30 in defense, so its basically a wash when you compare us against them.

When we play our version of desert swarm defense with presses and traps, it really fuels our offense. We've gotten away from that for quite some time. We're clearly better on offense, but all it takes is one hot shooting night and they certainly have the horses.

Oh, and if I NEVER see another commercial from Lily with AT&T, it will be too soon.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:30 pm
Not watching this one. How's their size? Because the nastiest D in the country is still going to have trouble with us unless they've got some guys 6'10 or taller.
Their starting C, Lampkin is 6’11, 270 lbs…..their next biggest is F, Miller, 6’7, 215 lbs. and then F, Obannon 6’6, 215 lbs. They also have F, Cork 6’9 228 lbs & F, Coles 6’7 225lbs both off the bench on a 9 man rotation.

Staring G Miles, 6’2 195 lbs & G Baugh, 6’4 195 lbs. Bench: G Peavy 6’7, 215 lbs & G Farabello 6’3 178 lbs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:51 pm
Their starting C, Lampkin is 6’11, 270 lbs…..their next biggest is F, Miller, 6’7, 215 lbs. and then F, Obannon 6’6, 215 lbs. They also have F, Cork 6’9 228 lbs & F, Coles 6’7 225lbs both off the bench on a 9 man rotation.

Staring G Miles, 6’2 195 lbs & G Baugh, 6’4 195 lbs. Bench: G Peavy 6’7, 215 lbs & G Farabello 6’3 178 lbs.
So that means we have a size advantage.

If their interior defense is as good as most are saying, then it means CK and AT have to be stronger than they've ever been with the ball. These guys will strip the ball again and again, and we can't count on the refs bailing us out.

I like our chances against any team where our size advantage is a factor.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:54 pm
Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:51 pm

So that means we have a size advantage.

If their interior defense is as good as most are saying, then it means CK and AT have to be stronger than they've ever been with the ball. These guys will strip the ball again and again, and we can't count on the refs bailing us out.

I like our chances against any team where our size advantage is a factor.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, if someone told us a few weeks ago all that stood between us and the S16 was TCU, we'd probably feel pretty good. TCU did pretty well in a very hard league, so they're legit. But if we limit turnovers, get good looks for our bigs, and hit FTs, we should be pretty happy Sunday evening.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Guys - there is a second half to be played. And it’s not like TCU is an offensive juggernaut.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:06 pm Guys - there is a second half to be played. And it’s not like TCU is an offensive juggernaut.
When good defensive teams get comfortable leads, that's trending in a predictable direction.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:04 pm I mean, if someone told us a few weeks ago all that stood between us and the S16 was TCU, we'd probably feel pretty good. TCU did pretty well in a very hard league, so they're legit. But if we limit turnovers, get good looks for our bigs, and hit FTs, we should be pretty happy Sunday evening.
Have to use their aggressiveness on defense against them. Have to be quick with moving the ball and get them out of position. Pounding the ball into the floor and having the ball stick is terrible game plan.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I think their offense will have more trouble with our defense.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Seton Hall can't buy a good look.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm looking forward to TCU because they won't be a frantic little underdog with buns in their hair.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:21 pm I think their offense will have more trouble with our defense.
TCU 77th in Adj O vs. our 19th Adj. D.

They are going to have a hard time scoring.
-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone else notice how Wright State got a TON of open looks from three but that they just missed most of them? How are we still giving up so many good looks from three after what happened vs. Stanford and Colorado??
Bangkok Wildcat

Seton Hall was PATHETIC! They looked like they didn’t even deserve to be in the NCAAs……TCU looks to have traveled well and will be a hell of a game to get to the Sweet 16. We’d better take them very seriously. BTFD.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is this Wisconsin/Colgate game the whitest game in college basketball in like every conceivable way?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:04 pm Is this Wisconsin/Colgate game the whitest game in college basketball in like every conceivable way?
On Tim and Mark on KDKB in Phoenix years ago during the tournament they used to play "How many white guys?"

I"m looking a 8 right now.
-JB
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:27 pm
azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:21 pm I think their offense will have more trouble with our defense.
TCU 77th in Adj O vs. our 19th Adj. D.

They are going to have a hard time scoring.
So I would say that if we can keep them under 70 points for the game and then we go ahead and score our normal 80+, we will win the game.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:06 pm
Longhorned wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:04 pm Is this Wisconsin/Colgate game the whitest game in college basketball in like every conceivable way?
On Tim and Mark on KDKB in Phoenix years ago during the tournament they used to play "How many white guys?"

I"m looking a 8 right now.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Downright chalky white
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

They must use whitening toothpaste
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Davidson is a pansy.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Guys, what's the tip time for Sunday?