Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This projection assumes AZ beats ucla tonight.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s set either way, I would guess.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Houston’s Sasser injured today (groin)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:09 pm
TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:05 pm
Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:51 pm
TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:34 am If UCLA does not get a one seed I just look at that as total disrespect for the PAC-12. They have not lost since January. What other team can say that? No one. I hope they get a one seed and do well in the tourney. Also hope the PAC gets 4 teams in even if it includes the Sun Devils or Oregon.
I couldn't agree more with regard to UCLA. Even without Clark I still think they're a serious NC contender. They pretty much dominated us in the last meeting and I expect about the same result tonight. It would be nice to get 4 teams in from the Pac but who knows. But let's be honest, UCLA is the only serious contender from the Pac 12 that can make a deep tournament run. All the others will be gone in the first or second game.
You have to score more than 55-60 against good teams to be a serious NC contender. Other than that your post is as good as usual.
Luckily can UCLA do just that and the advance stats back up the fact that they can absolutely score. Unless you have evidence otherwise?
I've watched them and they are offensively challenged. Get out your advanced stats but Arizona with a less than stellar defense held UCLA to 44 points with 2 minutes left in their game in Tucson. In our first game, UCLA shot 31% / 20% /55%. WOW what an offense. In the second, UCLA shot 42% / 27% / 91%. They have been better lately but it is really a two man show with an occasional hot 3 point shooter. Must have hit a nerve on that one. If they played Tennessee it would be 28-25 at the end of the game. Virginia might be a bit better.

I see tonight as a toss up. If we can play a little better defensively and Remy is Remy it will be better than LA. If not they can win the PAC tourney which they haven't in awhile.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

The ESPN -annointed “#1 overall seed” was just blown out by 20 points!

Texas 76, KU 56
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:06 pm The ESPN -annointed “#1 overall seed” was just blown out by 20 points!

Texas 76, KU 56
Think that just opens the door for Bama or Houston to be #1 overall seed. Maybe ucla if they win tonight.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:32 pm
TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:34 am If UCLA does not get a one seed I just look at that as total disrespect for the PAC-12. They have not lost since January. What other team can say that? No one. I hope they get a one seed and do well in the tourney. Also hope the PAC gets 4 teams in even if it includes the Sun Devils or Oregon.
I couldn't agree more with regard to UCLA. Even without Clark I still think they're a serious NC contender. They pretty much dominated us in the last meeting and I expect about the same result tonight. It would be nice to get 4 teams in from the Pac but who knows. But let's be honest, UCLA is the only serious contender from the Pac 12 that can make a deep tournament run. All the others will be gone in the first or second game.
You have to score more than 55-60 against good teams to be a serious NC contender. Other than that your post is as good as usual.
Luckily can UCLA do just that and the advance stats back up the fact that they can absolutely score. Unless you have evidence otherwise?
I've watched them and they are offensively challenged. Get out your advanced stats but Arizona with a less than stellar defense held UCLA to 44 points with 2 minutes left in their game in Tucson. In our first game, UCLA shot 31% / 20% /55%. WOW what an offense. In the second, UCLA shot 42% / 27% / 91%. They have been better lately but it is really a two man show with an occasional hot 3 point shooter. Must have hit a nerve on that one. If they played Tennessee it would be 28-25 at the end of the game. Virginia might be a bit better.

I see tonight as a toss up. If we can play a little better defensively and Remy is Remy it will be better than LA. If not they can win the PAC tourney which they haven't in awhile.
If we are doing the eye test, Arizona must be challenged offensively too based on the two UCLA games. But we exist in the real world where we don't base offenses on points scored. A world where understand efficiency, per 36, kenpom and other analytics. Citing bad games and calling it bad offenses is like looking at snow and not believing global warming is a thing. UCLA might have a boring offense but the score is low because they limit possessions.

You can Google kenpom, but if the analysis is "TheCat's eye test", no amount of evidence will change your mind.

Good luck today!
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:15 pm

If we are doing the eye test, Arizona must be challenged offensively too based on the two UCLA games. But we exist in the real world where we don't base offenses on points scored. A world where understand efficiency, per 36, kenpom and other analytics. Citing bad games and calling it bad offenses is like looking at snow and not believing global warming is a thing. UCLA might have a boring offense but the score is low because they limit possessions.

You can Google kenpom, but if the analysis is "TheCat's eye test", no amount of evidence will change your mind.

Good luck today!
Excellent reply Mr. Bug. UCLA's ability to control tempo and be efficient with less possessions makes them very difficult to beat. The Bruins scored 82 on Arizona in the last meeting and essentially beat the Cats at their own game. The ability to adjust and adapt to your opponent is a strong suit for UCLA and I believe it's why they win again tonight. I also believe it's why they're a FF/NC contender again.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Good luck today!
I didn't know that you considered outside the top 20 in efficiency as elite. I guess I'm just spoiled. You're great on defense so you have that to hang your hat on. I don't consider Arizona as elite on defense so no need to get upset. You are right about 1 thing, your offense is boring but hey you're winning and that is all that matters.
If you want an honest evaluation of your offense just go look at the UCLA board. TheCat eye test is well known and featured where only true basketball fans can find it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, all tonight’s outcome confirms to me is that we are a 2 seed. No idea about region or about what they’ll do with ucla. All I know is we beat them 2/3 times and have a better record vs Q1.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

All I ask is that we're as far from UCLA as possible.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Playing them without PAC 12 refs would be a breeze.

Bring ‘em on!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Good luck today!
36.7%
21.1%
68.8%
Nuff said.......you do have a great defense though.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ESPN has us #2 in the Midwest with Kansas as 1.
Interesting they have both Xavier and Gonzaga in that region too.
😁
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looking at a large number of the top bracketologists from the Bracket Matrix site the general consensus is AZ as a 2 seed in the Midwest with Kansas as a 1.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bracket matrix didn't move us or UCLA after yesterday's game, we're still the #3 2 seed and UCLA is the #1 2 seed
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Well I guess it only took us winning the pac 12 tourney to get my access to the site back!

Ie either that or I remembered my password finally!

Bear down!!!

Come to sac cats!!!!!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:48 am Well I guess it only took us winning the pac 12 tourney to get my access to the site back!

Bear down!!!

Come to sac cats!!!!!
It's about time you dragged your sorry ass back on site!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I guess we’ll see just how much conference tourney results and key injuries matter to the committee when we get the UA/UCLA placements.

To me, UCLA is worthy of a 1 seed. Way more than Purdue.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:48 am Well I guess it only took us winning the pac 12 tourney to get my access to the site back!

Bear down!!!

Come to sac cats!!!!!
Welcome back CST!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Over the years I've found that the ratings by Jeff Sagarin are a very good indicator of who is out and who is in the tournaments: ≥56 gets a team in the NCAA's and ≥90 makes the NIT. If that holds this year then UCLA, Arizona, USC and Oregon go to the NCAA's; ASU, WSU, Colorado and Utah are NIT bound - Stanford would have made it but they do not have an overall winning record.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

All the best bracketologists on bracket matrix have Arizona as the #2 seed in the Midwest with Kansas.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Match ups, Match ups, Match ups.

That’s what I will be looking at.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

We need to avoid any team that can ball pressure our guards (who are pretty weak in that regard)
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Or stretch 4’s that can hit 3’s.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:39 am All the best bracketologists on bracket matrix have Arizona as the #2 seed in the Midwest with Kansas.
I've seen a couple of #2 in the South with Alabama and Kansas St as #3
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ballo broken hand, Krissa dislocated shoulder, UCLA has two guys out. Man the PAC gets so many bad breaks

I think we are really better suited this year to make a run based upon how we have played in our two wins vs the Bruins. Hopefully we carry that Chip that we are not tough enough all the way to the FF
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

FYI, there's a Selection Sunday watch party at Union Public House. CTL and the team will be there to speak and sign autographs. Doors open at 2 PM.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I saw that.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:39 am All the best bracketologists on bracket matrix have Arizona as the #2 seed in the Midwest with Kansas.
We need to will this into existence.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
arizonawildcats

Self is expected back for the tourney, if there was any doubt.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:48 pm
We need to will this into existence.
They have no front court but I don't want to play Kansas in Kansas City in a home game (Arizona will definitely not outdraw Kansas fans)
arizonawildcats

Staying out West against Purdue would be the ideal bracket.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Going to the Purdue bracket as a 2 would be what we could hope for. If it was in the west that would be a miracle.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Prediction, Purdue doesn't make it far enough to play is if we are in their region.

Don't care who the 1 seed is, they are all vulnerable.

Gotta win three games before we get to play the 1 seed, maybe more.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Only Alabama and Houston deserve the #1 seed. And I guess Purdue too.
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Wally is an idiot.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Selection Sunday is more exciting than Christmas day. Let's go!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Is there really any mystery on the selections?
I mean maybe a seed or two and maybe regions, but is anyone sweating it out?

Maybe ASSU.

:lol:
Last edited by EastCoastCat on Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:59 pm Is there really any mystery on the selections?
I mean maybe a seed or two and maybe regions, but is anyone sweating it out?
Hopefully ASU is.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Here we go.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We better not be in the South.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:06 pm We better not be in the South.
:lol:
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Wow the South? Guess UCLA got the West then.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Fuck, we will have to go through a Baylor and Alabama.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

So

1. Alabama
2. Arizona
3. Baylor
4. Virginia
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

where was that outdoor shot at in arizona at just now?