2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: 2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Post by pc in NM »

Today's game is a BIG test for the team - in fact, exactly the kind of challenge they are intending to prepare themselves for this year.

It will be really interesting to see how they respond. They should welcome this!!!

“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RawleArenas wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am
pc in NM wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:58 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:19 am
RawleArenas wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:14 am This might get some pushback, but I'm gonna say it. I'm not sold on Lloyd. These performances make me embarrassed to be a Wildcat fan.
Gonzaga has historically been terrible with their three point defense and Lloyd has made sure that it's traveled to Tucson.

You can't go into every interview saying, "Well...you know...Walla Walla...

The gloss has faded, the shine has worn off. His denial is legendary. I would rather see Murauskas and Martinez in the lineup to give us a fresh look, but apparently he doesn't trust them either. This team is molded in his image, and I don't like what I'm seeing so far.
I don’t think you’re the only one who feels this way.
Amazing how some Arizona fans have no sense whatsoever about the meaning of "Bear Down"! :roll:

Let alone evaluating coaching talent!!
I think the phrase 'Bear Down' includes the ideas of accountability, self-awareness and appropriate in-game adjustments. Top coaches make sure that their teams (especially talented ones) are prepared for each game. Last night we witnessed missed dunks, erratic free throw shooting, momentum killing turnovers and porous defense on the perimeter.

I put much of this on the coaching staff and Lloyd's tendencies to deflect responsibility. I said this long time ago (which I stole from Coach Cal): you can't hide at Arizona. Fans and alumni obsess over every aspect of their flagship sports teams. And if you look at the responses from Wildcat Nation, there are a lot of people that are saying the exact same thing - we're sucking. Down by almost 20 at home to a depleted UCLA team and then losing on the road to bottom feeder Oregon State? No, CTL's gonna get read the riot act.

This is the first year with all of Lloyd's players, and it's clear he has some learning to do. There's been rumors that many of the players have been partying before games and if that's true, you can definitely see the product of that on the court. There's no leadership. In a year where we needed Ballo to step up and dominate, he's regressed. The Euros that Lloyd picked aren't available or ready to play, which is Lloyd's fault as well. Personally, I think he has too many Euros, but that's for another post. If highly touted Veesaar was available and just gave us 8 and 8, you could shave at least three losses off of our schedule. But for some reason, he's still not ready. I like what I've seen out of Martinez, but he can't get any burn either.

In all my years of Wildcat fandom, I've never seen a team drop off like this. If something doesn't change, we're gonna be the laughing stock of CBB.
This is a great post and hits the nail on the head. Arizona fans are patient and understanding enough to live with that Stanford loss (they shot out of their mind) or even that Wazzu loss (they're not horrible, it was close and it was in Pullman), but that OSU loss....man. The Wazzu loss at home last year was one of the most inexcusable losses I can remember, but the OSU loss far and away tops it, especially with the Furd and recent Wazzu losses real fresh in our memories. Let's also not forget the UCLA game, which considering the location of the game and the meaning of it (last home game against UCLA until who knows when), was equally inexcusable. Lloyd is dangerously close to losing this entire fanbase after starting the season in a way you would never expect it to get to this point.

The point about the Euro recruiting is dead on. So many euros taken and so many of them are proving to be utterly worthless for us. They're serving no purpose outside of painting Lloyd's scouting ability or coaching ability (take your pick) in a negative light.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 pm The last 2 years, we seemed to peak in late January and February. I hate how we're struggling too, but there was a team last year that went 2-6 from Christmas to January 25 and had a good tournament run, so I'll just hope we're getting the shit out of our system now instead of in March.
That team you're referring to last year didn't lose to teams nearly as bad as Stanford & OSU are.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

FYI, Arizona hasn't swept the Oregon road trip since 2009.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 am
prh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:14 pm The last 2 years, we seemed to peak in late January and February. I hate how we're struggling too, but there was a team last year that went 2-6 from Christmas to January 25 and had a good tournament run, so I'll just hope we're getting the shit out of our system now instead of in March.
That team you're referring to last year didn't lose to teams nearly as bad as Stanford & OSU are.
Doesn't mean shit in March
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 am
Cool. If the team does a complete 180 by March I'll be sure to give you credit.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Our Point Guard play is the crux of the bulk of our offensive issues (Boswwll & Bradley............neither of whom are Euros by the way)

I'm torn about what to do with Boswell,as I am sure CTL is. Boswells confidence is already lower than a snakes belly. Bench him and you risk emotionally crushing him for the rest of the year. Play him and we may end up in a play-in game for the NCAA tourney.

Bradley is not significantly better, which is probably the only thing keeping Boswell on the court. The only other option I see is to hand the PG spot over to Caleb Love...........which might only serve to encourage Love to take even more shots that he shouldn't take.
Last edited by dmjcat on Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:58 am Our Point Guard play is the crux of the bulk of our offensive issues (Boswwll & Bradley............neither of whom are Euros by the way)
Lloyd is just as stubborn as Miller, but with the PG position being the biggest weakness, I would try running Larsson at point forward, ala Luke Walton.

And I think we can all agree Love is much better off the ball.

With the center being the other weakness, maybe call less plays for Ballo. Ballo is not going to get any quicker or jump any higher. Make Love the focal point of the offense, and when they double him then toss the ball to the post.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Having a PG who scores 0 points, doesn't ever get to the free throw line, and has 0-3 assists is a blueprint for defeat. Can't play 4 on 5 and hope to win many games. Lloyd says Boswell will eventually do great things for the team. Probably so, but can we afford to wait until his senior year?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:34 am
dmjcat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:58 am Our Point Guard play is the crux of the bulk of our offensive issues (Boswwll & Bradley............neither of whom are Euros by the way)
Lloyd is just as stubborn as Miller, but with the PG position being the biggest weakness, I would try running Larsson at point forward, ala Luke Walton.

And I think we can all agree Love is much better off the ball.

With the center being the other weakness, maybe call less plays for Ballo. Ballo is not going to get any quicker or jump any higher. Make Love the focal point of the offense, and when they double him then toss the ball to the post.
I don’t know if Love will pass out of double team, haha.

Pelle has played PG but I wasn’t that impressed.

I’d like them to run some plays early to get Kylan some layups.
I liken this to Reeves. When he scored early he was much more engaged the whole game.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 am Today's game is a BIG test for the team - in fact, exactly the kind of challenge they are intending to prepare themselves for this year.

It will be really interesting to see how they respond. They should welcome this!!!

RY COODER IS GOD!!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RawleArenas wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:56 am In all my years of Wildcat fandom, I've never seen a team drop off like this. If something doesn't change, we're gonna be the laughing stock of CBB.
Well, either you've forgotten, or maybe weren't there (especially on the then existent sports boards) at the time, the 1996-97 season. Fans wanted Lute's head on a platter after the sweep the final week in NorCal. (Somehow, not a single one of those fans can recall that...)

Arizona has been "the laughing stock of CBB" many times after first-round exits. We (BEAR DOWN!!!!) survived.

Maybe you recall the Final Four 1n 1988?? KU's "Danny and the Miracles", pre-season #5, entered the tourney a #6 seed, and won the championship over Oklahoma, to whom they lost 3 times (season and conference tourney)

The McKale fans were great vs UCLA, when the team played like absolute crap for 30 minutes - we could use a bit more of that on these boards...

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

People keep saying “laughing stock of CBB”. I don’t know why the new football coach would laugh at the basketball team.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

PC - love you man, but you're wrong on this. Please let us not forget that those teams could get the benefit of the doubt because they had...wait for it... MIKE BIBBY!

My old roommate told me stories about Bibby when he played Salpointe in high school. There was a line almost around the block to see him play. He was just simply a phenom (three time AZ POY). Boswell and/or Bradley is not that. Plus, Lute had JT on the bench. You think somebody of JT's caliber (NPOY and future All World NBA) would ever sit in today's game - to a freshman? Lightning in a bottle.

Lastly, when Lute was criticized during the 96-97 season, he already had THREE FF's under his belt (1 at Iowa, two here). Not to mention he was a better tactician than Lloyd. Apples and oranges.

Many of us are rightly concerned because this will likely be the third year in a row where we underperform in tourney. When we lost to Houston, Kelvin Sampson was bragging about he outcoached Lloyd. The college world is watching to see if we choke, especially after all of the accolades we received in the preseason. There's no excuses this time around, and CTL has to accept that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:37 am FYI, Arizona hasn't swept the Oregon road trip since 2009.
But have presumably BEEN swept more recently?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:48 am
Do you actually think that’s likely, Choo? This team’s problems seem to become more evident by the game. I’m not sure we’ll finish top 3 in the Pac.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:48 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:48 am
Do you actually think that’s likely, Choo? This team’s problems seem to become more evident by the game. I’m not sure we’ll finish top 3 in the Pac.
The team is inherently dependent on Kylan Boswell reverting back to the player he was to start the season. Until that happens there's no way in hell anything changes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RawleArenas wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:24 pm PC - love you man, but you're wrong on this. Please let us not forget that those teams could get the benefit of the doubt because they had...wait for it... MIKE BIBBY!

My old roommate told me stories about Bibby when he played Salpointe in high school. There was a line almost around the block to see him play. He was just simply a phenom (three time AZ POY). Boswell and/or Bradley is not that. Plus, Lute had JT on the bench. You think somebody of JT's caliber (NPOY and future All World NBA) would ever sit in today's game - to a freshman? Lightning in a bottle.

Lastly, when Lute was criticized during the 96-97 season, he already had THREE FF's under his belt (1 at Iowa, two here). Not to mention he was a better tactician than Lloyd. Apples and oranges.

Many of us are rightly concerned because this will likely be the third year in a row where we underperform in tourney. When we lost to Houston, Kelvin Sampson was bragging about he outcoached Lloyd. The college world is watching to see if we choke, especially after all of the accolades we received in the preseason. There's no excuses this time around, and CTL has to accept that.
Which other programs are our true peers these days, given what’s happened in the tournament?

We are SO far beneath schools like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova, even though it felt like we were right there with them 20 years ago.
TheCatInTheHat

Oregon Scout

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

In early neutral court games, Oregon beat Georgia, then lost to Santa Clara, Alabama, and Syracuse. At home, they're undefeated, with a non-conference win over Michigan, sweeping the LA schools, and beating Cal and ASU. On the road, they swept the Washingtons, but just got swept at the Mountain schools. They've got good size and depth and shoot the three pretty well.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hmmmm

Good win on the road. Crazy so many people lost so much money on this game since they were so sure UA would lose.

Remember when you all needed to

R

E

L

A

X
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe the tough preseason made us bored for games like Stanford and Oregon St? We got a split which is what we hoped for at minimum and at the end of the season I expect us to be conference champions again
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

RawleArenas wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:24 pm PC - love you man, but you're wrong on this. Please let us not forget that those teams could get the benefit of the doubt because they had...wait for it... MIKE BIBBY!

WOW just WOW. For the coach that leads the entire NCAA in wins in his first two years can't coach........WOW. I think in the preseason we were picked third in the PAC if I recall (USC, Colorado then Arizona). We came out hot and now everything has changed. We are only tied for the PAC 12 lead. WOW we are a failure.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:53 pm

Which other programs are our true peers these days, given what’s happened in the tournament?

We are SO far beneath schools like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova, even though it felt like we were right there with them 20 years ago.
Really. What's Kansas's record in conference....Duke the team we beat at home.........Kentucky is looking pretty good.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The top 20 teams have a little over 500 record on the road so far this year. We are below that with a tough mountain trip coming up but I think we will be 500 at the end of the season which was always Lute's formula for winning the conference.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:15 pm

WOW just WOW. For the coach that leads the entire NCAA in wins in his first two years can't coach........WOW. I think in the preseason we were picked third in the PAC if I recall (USC, Colorado then Arizona). We came out hot and now everything has changed. We are only tied for the PAC 12 lead. WOW we are a failure.
Tied, but we own the tie breaker.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CTL "had" two Final Fours when Arizona hired him.

Lute was the first coach in history to lose to a #15 seed.

The college game is far more competitive now than at any time when Lute was coach - especially with the portal, NIL, and multiple transfers w/immediate playing time.

And, in '97, many, many Arizona fans were seriously wanting Lute to be fired. (Just as stupid - no NC - as firing Tomey - no Rose Bowl - but it did really happen.)

and as good as Bibby was, he and Simon were too lazy to do the work to full-court press like "40 minutes of Madness" in the early '98 season with a loaded team, and we lost in the Great 8 to U-fucking-tah.

Even during today's game when predictable ebb-and-flow occurred, some posters were whining that Arizona was "blowing the lead" - this in one of our most dominant victories ever at Eugene....

it hasn't always been a bowl of cherries, and many fans were incapable of "BTFD!!!!" - Lute would have NEVER even said it! :lol: :lol:

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Game threads are not really the place where you find thoughtful analysis.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Very happy to have been wrong about how today’s game would go.

It’s a long season, and there are always ups and downs.

It’s becoming clearer that Love is the kind of player who can carry us in the tournament, as he did with UNC, and if our other guys are giving us B+ performances, we’re going to win most of our games.

We only get into trouble when our 3 point defense falls apart and the other team can’t miss from out there. Or when some of our starters don’t show up.

Today reminded me of the Wisconsin win. Just a fantastic performance from start to finish, with minimal slip ups.

Bear down!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We won't always shoot this well but our defense needs to be consistent. For the most part we stuck with our man and made them work. If they make it then congratulate them and move on. Colorado is going to be a beast and so is Utah on the road. Yes I know we beat Colorado by 40.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats are fighting through screens better, and switching is a lot better on defense, but still several times players missed the switch. Casey Jacobsen noted one time Larsson yelling at Ballo for not switching.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I hope this level of play persists.

"There's only now and next." Tommy Lloyd

The recently departed now was very satisfying, and while the past is not irrelevant, it no longer exists.

Next comes the rest of everything.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:20 am Cats are fighting through screens better, and switching is a lot better on defense, but still several times players missed the switch. Casey Jacobsen noted one time Larsson yelling at Ballo for not switching.
This is a pretty simple fix and has to be addressed in practice. Repeatedly. If it keeps happening in games, it’s on the coaches, imo.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Team is fine

Team is good

One more loss max before Vegas
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:05 pm CTL "had" two Final Fours when Arizona hired him.

Lute was the first coach in history to lose to a #15 seed.

The college game is far more competitive now than at any time when Lute was coach - especially with the portal, NIL, and multiple transfers w/immediate playing time.

And, in '97, many, many Arizona fans were seriously wanting Lute to be fired. (Just as stupid - no NC - as firing Tomey - no Rose Bowl - but it did really happen.)

and as good as Bibby was, he and Simon were too lazy to do the work to full-court press like "40 minutes of Madness" in the early '98 season with a loaded team, and we lost in the Great 8 to U-fucking-tah.

Even during today's game when predictable ebb-and-flow occurred, some posters were whining that Arizona was "blowing the lead" - this in one of our most dominant victories ever at Eugene....

it hasn't always been a bowl of cherries, and many fans were incapable of "BTFD!!!!" - Lute would have NEVER even said it! :lol: :lol:
Actually, Boeheim was the first to lose to a #2 seed. 1991 against Richmond.

Nice to see the team come back from a bad loss. We need to bring that kind of D intensity every game. Because Love isn't going to shoot this well every game. He's more of a volume scorer in my opinion.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:47 pm Actually, Boeheim was the first to lose to a #2 seed. 1991 against Richmond.

True

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ch-madness

YEAR RESULT SCORE
1991 Richmond def. Syracuse 73-69
1993 Santa Clara def. Arizona 64-61
1997 Coppin State def. South Carolina 78-65
2001 Hampton def. Iowa State 58-57
2012 Lehigh def. Duke 75-70
2012 Norfolk State def. Missouri 86-84
2013 Florida Gulf Coast def. Georgetown 78-68
2016 Middle Tennessee def. Michigan State 90-81
2021 Oral Roberts def. Ohio State 75-72
2022 Saint Peter's def. Kentucky 85-79
2023 Princeton def. Arizona 59-55
TheCatInTheHat

The Schedule

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

We've still got roadies at the Mountain schools, ASU, and the LA schools. We're not getting out of that unscathed, and there may even be some who don't like the idea of our going undefeated at home in our last Pac-12 season. So I know we've got fans who "refuse to accept losing", but you have to be realistic. We looked a lot better against Oregon, but we're not always going to shoot that well from outside, and it's been an up and down season. If we only lose two more regular season games, we'd be doing pretty damn well. Three seems more likely. Any more than that, and I'll be worried, too.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

The next road trip could be our last opportunity for quad 1 wins before the Pac-12 Tournament.
TheCatInTheHat

Cal Scout

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Understandably with a new coaching staff, Cal got off to a horrible start this season, losing at home to Pacific and Montana St, and neutral court games to UTEP, Tulane, and San Diego St. They beat Santa Clara at home, before a 2-OT loss at Butler and another neutral court loss to Ole Miss. In the Pac-12, they got swept at home by the Arizonas, and lost at USC. But...they've now won 4 of their last 6, with a road win at UCLA and home wins over Colorado and the Washingtons offset by a road loss at Oregon and home loss to Washington. We should be able to catch our breath a bit, particularly with two days after the Cal game before the Stanford game Sunday evening.

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fun stat of the day
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 pm Fun stat of the day
IMPEACH BAD FANS!!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Could have sworn I saw 2 different games where the announcers said that was Ballo's 1,000th career point, Walton called one of them.

Some of us thought that the 2nd game announcement was his 1,000th UA point.

But more than likely Walton's gummies kicked in.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Thought those were two separate players and one didn't make it the first game. I might be way off, maybe the other was Pelle?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:57 pm Could have sworn I saw 2 different games where the announcers said that was Ballo's 1,000th career point, Walton called one of them.

Ballo has 993 career points at Arizona

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/mens ... allo/15368

Pelle has 870 Career points at Arizona
'
https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/mens ... sson/15372
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:01 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:57 pm Could have sworn I saw 2 different games where the announcers said that was Ballo's 1,000th career point, Walton called one of them.

'
Career vs @ U of A

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:42 pm

'
Career vs @ U of A
The Arizona site doesn't give figures for points scored prior to any player coming to Arizona so those are the totals each player has scored while at Arizona.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:47 pm

'
Career vs @ U of A
The Arizona site doesn't give figures for points scored prior to any player coming to Arizona so those are the totals each player has scored while at Arizona.
The celebration for Pelle & Ballo achieving 1000 points was for career points.

Pelle: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ers_totals

Oumar: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ers_totals

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:50 pm

'
Career vs @ U of A

No. No. No. Nothing less than an outside entity, a third party auditor, can settle this properly.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:35 pm

'
Career vs @ U of A

No. No. No. Nothing less than an outside entity, a third party auditor, can settle this properly.
Who do you think you're foolin'??? I got this from the internets!!!

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:56 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:35 pm

Career vs @ U of A

Who do you think you're foolin'??? I got this from the internets!!!
HAR! That shit don't fly! You're Bobby Robbins' sock! We have rules around here motherfucker!!!

~ Wilhoit's Law