TJ McConnell.... True Wildcat

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

TJ McConnell.... True Wildcat

Post by Alieberman »

Been a Cat fan since the late eighties and I can't name another transfer who I consider more of a TRUE Cat than TJ

He is everything you want in a player

My favorite Cats of all time are not the most talented and physically gifted guys. They are the guys that give everything they have.... I'm talking players like Reggie Geary, Jason Terry., Nick Johnson. Now TJ is entering that list

Love TJ
Bangkok Wildcat

Re: TJ McConnell.... True Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Agreed.....also a fan since my student days mid to late 80's and huge fan of TJ! Great transfer and true Wildcat (although let's not forget that transfer stud Chris Mills!!!).

Really good to see TJ being more aggressive in scoring when we need him....Dude needs to be more like this in the future please.

I've read opposing fans who don't like him and misread his intensity and passion as false bravado and being cocky. The Dude is just a pure stud and extremely aggressive at most times...which is what we need and should expect from our 5th year Senior PG Leader IMHO!

BTFD TJ and great game today!
Budd1e_lee

Post by Budd1e_lee »

January shooting summary:
-57% overall.
-40% from 3.
-SIXTY-ONE percent from inside the arc.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

TJ wins the Pete Williams Award. Pete was an undersized forward who was an animal. And one of Lute's building block transfers.

Chris Mills was the most talented transfer.
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:
Chris Mills was the most talented transfer.
Brian Williams (RIP) has to be up there as well.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

When his career is over I hope to see him on our staff. The same with Solo. Both are favorites of mine for the way they carried themselves and set the tone off the court. I think they've both embodied the culture Miller has created.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Budd1e_lee wrote:January shooting summary:
-57% overall.
-40% from 3.
-SIXTY-ONE percent from inside the arc.
Some damn fine stats right there. Here's hoping the continue
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Two Bits

Post by Two Bits »

Great leadership by TJ today. Really got the team going. The game could've been really ugly had no Cat stepped up.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

TJ is a ridiculous weapon if he can make shots, because he can create his own shot and shots for others. Steve Nash was an MVP because he could do that...TJ is no Steve Nash, but when he gets hot offensively, someone else's game is soon to blow up because once the opposition looks to actively defend TJ, someone will be open. TJ doesn't need to be this ridiculously good offensively, and he won't be, but if he is just a consistent threat, Stanley and BASH will be the recipients of the added defensive focus on TJ.

TJ just gets it...he carried us offensively just as long as he needed to, and once Stanley showed up (BAsh was always there but not dominating), TJ went back to a more traditional point guard role. He had the hot hand, but didn't press his luck once he had help carrying the offensive weight. That ' s leadership. He could have had a career scoring game, but instead, he got a win.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Mills was best that i saw. Good to see TJ step up tonight. When he is assertive and playing w confidence we are a different beast . Step in the right direction when we needed it. And u are right evcat, and while rondae didnt have an economic shooting night (still getting to the foul line) his offensive game needs tj the most IMO
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love TJ. Consistency is key.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
cat77

Post by cat77 »

TJ is really stepping up and emerging as that dominate leader everyone has been looking for. He seems to be embracing that role and putting the team on his back. To me he seems to be that spark plug that gets the team rolling when things go stagnate.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

As well as he played, TJ was only the 2nd best Mcconnell yesterday

http://www.thealmanac.net/article/20150 ... 19957/1002
az91

Post by az91 »

Is TJ the most improved player from last year?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 04f0a.html

“He’s the heart and soul; his face gets red, he’s pumping his veins, and that’s every day for him,” Arizona’s Stanley Johnson said. “He hates making mistakes, and he does it because he loves all of us the same. He makes me want to be a better person and a better teammate.”

84Cat wrote:Image
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

The best thing about TJ lighting up Utah is that the strategy of "make TJ beat you, play the pass and double Johnson/Barn insterd" is now very suspect, especially in McKale. It didn't work for Oregon and it sure didn't work for Utah. I don't know if unlv/beavers had same approach.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yesterday's win was all TJ. Cats stunk on ice up to the first TV timeout and had not a clue how to attack the Utah defense.

Even TJ didn't at first. I think that first jump ball scrap woke him up.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Alieberman wrote:Been a Cat fan since the late eighties and I can't name another transfer who I consider more of a TRUE Cat than TJ

He is everything you want in a player

My favorite Cats of all time are not the most talented and physically gifted guys. They are the guys that give everything they have.... I'm talking players like Reggie Geary, Jason Terry., Nick Johnson. Now TJ is entering that list

Love TJ
Yes, Alieberman. Beautifully put. The big guy exudes the meaning of those two words "Bear Down".

I'd love to see us set more screens for TJ. Effective picks which can set this amazing little mover loose to terrorize front court men. No one was able to handle him last night. I loved his couple of penetrate and dish plays. Seems to me this should be a bigger part of his game, and I think he needs exceptional screens put ahead of him.

While we're appreciating his game last night, how about his move last night from the right along the baseline, under the basket, then beyond-----only to do a snap 180 to his left and pop the J? We've seen this in several games now and my heart just jumps when I see how effectively he freezes his befuddled defender. Just a great set of moves.
Bangkok Wildcat

EOCT wrote:
While we're appreciating his game last night, how about his move last night from the right along the baseline, under the basket, then beyond-----only to do a snap 180 to his left and pop the J? We've seen this in several games now and my heart just jumps when I see how effectively he freezes his befuddled defender. Just a great set of moves.
Yeah, good call EOCT! I LOVE that move.....when he can penetrate like that it opens up so many options.....love it when he takes the shot. Also loved the back and forth dribble then jump shot over Poetl that was in his face kind of shot. Sweet.

We really need a more aggressive scoring TJ going forward.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

TJ playing well. Seems to understand what's needed during the game. His first half play kept Arizona in the game. Pretty cool to watch the game unfold.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

TJ is fun to watch. He has really stepped up. I have mixed feelings about us relying on him so much for scoring but it is definitely keeping the other team's defense more honest as they are not able to sag off him as much as they have in the past. If he keeps playing at this level with that type of intensity we will be very tough to beat in the big games that matter the most.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Had a discussion at a Xmas party with an older UA alum who couldn't wait for TJ's eligibility to expire...I was flabbergasted.

He said that at some point the proof is on the floor and he was sick of hearing about this and that with TJ and not seeing it on the floor. I wonder what he thinks today...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Loren Woods was a great transfer aswell. But I love TJ!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Woods was a head case, and speaking of head cases, can you imagine if Brian Williams had the same mindset as TJ? Would have been in the discussion for best Wildcat ever.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Merkin wrote:Woods was a head case, and speaking of head cases, can you imagine if Brian Williams had the same mindset as TJ? Would have been in the discussion for best Wildcat ever.
When Loren Woods got it together he played like an All-American. Unfortunately his back issues stopped him from advancing to his full potential. I remember when he got it going his first season, he was incredible. Although I do agree that he was way too hard on himself at times.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:Had a discussion at a Xmas party with an older UA alum who couldn't wait for TJ's eligibility to expire...I was flabbergasted.

He said that at some point the proof is on the floor and he was sick of hearing about this and that with TJ and not seeing it on the floor. I wonder what he thinks today...
That is borderline idiotic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Had a discussion at a Xmas party with an older UA alum who couldn't wait for TJ's eligibility to expire...I was flabbergasted.

I know...and this was a guy who's opinion I respected...he then stated something about offensive struggles and I stopped listening...
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I know...and this was a guy who's opinion I respected...he then stated something about offensive struggles and I stopped listening...
You see shit like this is why I almost can't even talk to people about U of A basketball outside of forums and a few people I know. My in-laws' friends used to be like this - we'd all get together to watch a game and it was just a never-ending stream of stupidity after stupidity. I was younger so I kept my mouth shut but now that I'm older, my wife would definitely get pissed at me because I'd be starting fights.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think your average UA fan won't know what they had in TJ until he's gone. Three years from now they'll be trying to Mount Rushmore him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

It can be hard to watch with casual fans and vice-versa. My son often leaves the room. He thinks I'm ridiculous. And he's probably right. Like when I smacked the ceiling fan after Utah closed to within 10. Told him the Illinois game ruined me forever.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

salim'sheadband wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:

You see shit like this is why I almost can't even talk to people about U of A basketball outside of forums and a few people I know. My in-laws' friends used to be like this - we'd all get together to watch a game and it was just a never-ending stream of stupidity after stupidity. I was younger so I kept my mouth shut but now that I'm older, my wife would definitely get pissed at me because I'd be starting fights.
So more context on my story is that this guy is a family friend that used to have me over for games with my uncles and a bunch of UA grads, back when I was like 13 years old. I remember so many games with them, from the '88 final 4 season and beyond. I've even been to the Red/Blue scrimmages back when they were in PHX at Brophy (Saw Brian Williams play).

That's what made me do a double take. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I always tell my wife that I wish people would stop talking to me because I am constantly waiting for the comment that causes me to lose respect for the person.

I really only have a few friends and family that I can even have a college basketball talk with.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I guy I work with whose sports knowledge I usually respect says TJ and SJ are awful. He's a Michigan fan so..............
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Was at the register Saturday afternoon at a paint store and the dude took a look at my shirt and preceded to spew his (lack of) knowledge on the subect of Arizona basketball from a very biased anti-Arizona perspective. Went like this:

Him: "So what do you think of your basketball team this year?"

Me: "Feeling pretty good, got a big game today"

Him: "Yeah Utah, you think you have a chance at winning"

Me: "Uh, yeah...more than a chance, it's gonna be tough but Arizona will likely win"

Him: "Wow you think so huh? I saw them beat ASU and they look good".

Me: "Well, they were playing ASU you know. We'll see what happens in Tucson".

My wife said later that I was being a dick. I disagree.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Anybody who measures U of A's basketball chances against how well a team played against ASU hasn't followed the sport nearly long enough to have a conversation with.
Bangkok Wildcat

catgrad97 wrote:Anybody who measures U of A's basketball chances against how well a team played against ASU hasn't followed the sport nearly long enough to have a conversation with.
But I thought ASUnhad closed the gap??? LMAO....seriously, I'll take a step further than catgrad97 and say anyone who measures us in comparison to ASSU is 'full tard'!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Well it was a paint store. He coulda been huffing
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azgreg wrote:I guy I work with whose sports knowledge I usually respect says TJ and SJ are awful. He's a Michigan fan so..............

Has he watched any games?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Merkin wrote:Number 1 play of the week:

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-me ... -mcconnell
That was a sweet play.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That diving pass to Stanimal after the steal is the quintessential TJ McConnell play.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Pac 12 MVP Most important player on the best team. Should be obvious to everyone by now.
Bangkok Wildcat

Man, what a heck of a transfer for Arizona......Sean is such a stud recruiter! Would love to see if TJ ends up Coaching after his professional career is over. Would be a good thread to see what CSMs Coaching Tree is to date.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Was in "rare form" tonight. He's got to be relishing every moment he gets to play in McKale as the conference season draws closer and closer to the end. Those faces. Dude is loving it. Gonna miss him. And i'll start the speculating now. As i've stated you've got to figure how badly he wants to "get" / be a part of Miller's first Final Four. It's just got to give him a little extra something out there every night.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

I really, really, really, really want TJMC to get drafted in the second round.

Yes, there are plenty of arguments against. He's just so damn good, smart, sees things that not many can. Just to have that on your bench and in the locker room is an asset.

My crazy hunch that I'm embarrassed to say: I think he becomes a great PG in the NBA.

Whoooo, feel better.

And here come all the "but he can't do this, his size, he'd get eaten alive, Europe is his..." blah blah blah fuckedy blah

Watch fellas and wellas
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My wife loves TJ. We are going to go to the Arizona ASU game next week just because she wants to see him play in an ARIZONA uni and we'll be in town!

Every game: Mrs CST: Why won't TJ go to the NBA? I really hope he gets drafted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CBCat wrote:He's got to be relishing every moment he gets to play in McKale as the conference season draws closer and closer to the end. Those faces. Dude is loving it.
I don't think I have ever seen TJ smile so much and have a great time.

He must have been listening to all the praise Walton gave him as MIP, Most Important Player.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Anybody else catch his Marshawn Lynch impression at the postgame presser last night?

(Sorry, can't embed this Vine from my work computer.)

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... wl-arizona
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »