Stanley Johnson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Stanley Johnson

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, maybe not met him, but you can't truly understand if you've never bathed in the ocean waters where he used to strangle sharks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know Stanley Johnson;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
But trust me.... You don't.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
This is how bad info gets passed around.
If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do.
Cos some people believe anything they hear.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Yes but Stanley as a freshmen is far and away better then either of those players.

And his upside is RIDICULOUS.

Let me ask this question, if you were starting an All-Arizona team would you pick any former player over Stanley if you knew that player would be in college for 4 years.

We have never had a super star NBA player outside of a couple years when Arenas was with the Wizards.

Stanley is that super star NBA player for us.

Yes, he still has a long way to go but my god is he already great.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:I know Stanley Johnson;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
Question for you if you know Stanley...does he have a phone or can he just talk to anyone he wants whenever he wants since he is God.

Does he walk on water? I bet he does
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:
Question for you if you know Stanley...does he have a phone or can he just talk to anyone he wants whenever he wants since he is God.

Does he walk on water? I bet he does
:)

I'm sorry. That post is an old TOS joke.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Newportcat wrote:Yes but Stanley as a freshmen is far and away better then either of those players.

Let me ask this question, if you were starting an All-Arizona team would you pick any former player over Stanley if you knew that player would be in college for 4 years.
Yes. A couple, in fact, starting with Elliott, DWill and Jason Terry.

Let's not get too excited. Johnson has been reliable of late, but the sample size is far too small to deify him, much less make him an all-timer.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Yes but Stanley as a freshmen is far and away better then either of those players.

Let's not get too excited. Johnson has been reliable of late, but the sample size is far too small to deify him, much less make him an all-timer.
word

There is still a lot of season to go. Let's see what happens when opposing teams start keying on him. Let's see how he is going to handle double teams, being knocked around, his reaction to dirty play. There is still a lot he needs to learn. Right now I would take DWill over him. But that may change. DWill's sophomore year was better than SJ's freshman year (so far).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

There will always he the latest and greatest, just human nature. We never thought we would see a better shooter than Steve Kerr and then Slim cam along. Only problem is most forgot about Connie Norman who once made 21-24 at BYU and shot 17-22 on the opening night of McKale against Wyoming.

SJ will be a great pro, IMO our best ever. He has the right mental makeup and a tremendous body that really suits the NBA game. Get us to a FF and I think he will leave a legacy that would be worthy of maybe the all time great
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Should have redshirted.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Stan's legacy and place in AZ hoops history will ultimately be made in March. If he carries us to a FF (or a freaking NC), you can certainly make the argument he's right up there with the best ever. Get us a banner, Stan. It's what separates the great players from the legends.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Nm.... Duplicate
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:You guys are CRAZY

Sean Elliott was an amazing college player and very good NBA player. Got the Rings and a couple All Star games but not in the hall of fame and was never the man on any team.

Stanley has a chance as a freshmen to be the national player of the year depending on how well we do this year. He is EASILY the Pac-12 player of the year so far and its not even close.

Think about how much he has improved in the past 2 months.

The guy has future NBA hall of famer written all over him. Seriously he is shooting 41% from 3 range.

I think the problem is the people who dont believe me have never met Stanley or seen him up close. If you had you would realize how physically imposing he is. He is built like a mack truck and so you realize, barring injuries he is built for the NBA especially if he continues to improve his shooting. Thats what I mean by basketball talent. His time in our program will be too short but his basketball talent level is By Far, BY FAR better then anyone we have ever had. The only two guys I think had something close was Elliott and Arenas. Arenas probably the most because he was just so quick but a head case.

If we dont make a final four with a player on our team like Stanley, this year is an utter failure.
No... Some of us are not members of the You Tube generation who think that if it does not have 10,000 views on YouTube that it never happened. I would bet you think Kobe is hands-down the greatest Laker ever... you should look up what Michael Wilbon has to say on the subject.

First... I agree that Stanley will be a better NBA player than Elliott. That has more to do with his personality and mindset than it does with anything else - and has no bearing on how they compare as college basketball players.

Over a 4 year college career, Elliott averaged 19.2 PT's, 6.1 RB, 3.4 AST, 0.8 ST, and 0.3 BLK per game. That is while shooting 51% FG, 46% 3FG, and 79% FT. Absorb those numbers for a minute or two... That is a 4 year career.

Assuming Stanley's recent trend of play continues, their relative performances as freshmen is debatable; their college careers will not be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newport's out there recently... Way out there.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sigh....on so many levels
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Stanley Johnson just might be the best player in America.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Okay, maybe not met him, but you can't truly understand if you've never bathed in the ocean waters where he used to strangle sharks.
Careful. I've met Chuck Norris.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We have never had a super star NBA player outside of a couple years when Arenas was with the Wizards.

Stanley is that super star NBA player for us.

Yes, he still has a long way to go but my god is he already great.
In red, is what you should've said the first time. "Far and away" is overboard. We will never know if he would've been the best Arizona player. We just know that he won't be.

He isn't far and away better than Bibby and Bayless as frosh.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:

Yep. There were Bayless threads like this.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jason Gardner was also national freshman of the year, and therefore has his jersey retired.

Must have been a poor class.

Johnson is going to finish really strong to beat out Okafur, who is probably national player of the year too.

But Stanimal will make PAC-12 FOY, and hopefully POY too.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Merkin wrote:Johnson is going to finish really strong to beat out Okafur, who is probably national player of the year too.
I need to watch a Duke game so I can see Okafor play. I want to his draft profile and saw this: doesn't project as a dominant scorer or rebounder at the pro level ... (nbadraft.net)

First thing I thought to myself was 'wow where can one a 6'11" center that has the combination of not being a dominant scorer nor a dominant rebounder?'
97cats

just to be clear --

Post by 97cats »

35.7mpg, 19.7ppg, 2.7rpg, 4apg, 45.8%fg, 40.7%3pt, 83.9%ft
Merkin

Re: just to be clear --

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote:35.7mpg, 19.7ppg, 2.7rpg, 4apg, 45.8%fg, 40.7%3pt, 83.9%ft

Jerryd's?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yes
gumby

Post by gumby »

Elliott as a senior: 47% overall ... 50% (66-131) from distance ... 84% from the line. 22.3 ppg and 7.2 boards, 4.1 assists, 3.1 turnovers. Team was AP No. 1 at season's end.

Something to aspire to.

Johnson, so far: 49.2 ... 41.2 ... 71.7 (21-50) ... 15 ppg, 7.0 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 2.5 turnovers. Upside down on the A/TO.

Elliott a better shooter, passer, playmaker. Nobody on this year's team will be close to 66 treys (York leads with 28). Made those around him better. No chemistry issues. Note that the guards on that team were Muehleback, Lofton, Mason. Elliott had more of those responsibilities when Kerr and McMillan left. He would bring the ball up against pressure.

Elliott as a frosh: 15.6 ppg, 5.3 boards. Led team in scoring.

Bayless, top freshman scorer in school history. Led team in scoring and assists. Closed the season ranked third in the Pac-10 in scoring (19.7 ppg), sixth in assists (4.03 apg), fourth in FT percentage (.839), ninth in 3-point FG percentage (.407).

DWill: The 2010 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and a first-team all-Pac-10 selection ... Named a freshman All-American by The Sporting News and collegeinsider.com ... An NABC second-team all-District 20 pick ... Had four consecutive 20-point games from Jan. 14-28 ... Tied for team lead with two games of 25 or more points ... Had nine games with 20 or more points and four double-doubles ... Ended the regular season ranked seventh in the Pac-10 in scoring (15.7), sixth in rebounding (7.1), fourth in FG percentage (.574/12th nationally).

Bibby: Was selected to the ’97 All-Final Four Team, after also being named Pac-10 Freshman of the Year after posting averages of 13.5 ppg, 5.2 apg and 3.2 rpg.

Not seeing this as "far and away." Embrace the tradition. It's a proud one.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

97cats wrote:35.7mpg, 19.7ppg, 2.7rpg, 4apg, 45.8%fg, 40.7%3pt, 83.9%ft
Thanks for reminding what a stud he was... It is really unfortunate (for him and us) that his time here coincided with a turbulent period that many of us try to forget.

Guy was an unbelievable player... Had he been here a few years earlier OR later, he would get more recognition (which he deserves) as on of our greatest very few freshmen ever.

And I would guess he may have stuck around a 2nd year...
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Thanks for reminding what a stud he was... It is really unfortunate (for him and us) that his time here coincided with a turbulent period that many of us try to forget.

Guy was an unbelievable player... Had he been here a few years earlier OR later, he would get more recognition (which he deserves) as on of our greatest very few freshmen ever.

before 100% re-committing to Arizona -- he and his parents received a guarantee from the Silver Fox himself that he would get at lease two yrs from Olson.

we all know what happened
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

before 100% re-committing to Arizona -- he and his parents received a guarantee from the Silver Fox himself that he would get at lease two yrs from Olson.

we all know what happened
Maybe even if that second year was with a decent coach who could develop him and not a tool like KON he would have stayed two.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

once Lute was officially informed he was unfit to handle the day to day rigors, the Bayless era at Arizona became the original "pit stop".
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Was nice to see Bayless come back and help with recruiting.

And apparently Stanley Johnson is not playing now as the best player in America, he's not even the best player in the PAC-12.

:rolleyes:

Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Merkin wrote:Was nice to see Bayless come back and help with recruiting.

And apparently Stanley Johnson is not playing now as the best player in America, he's not even the best player in the PAC-12.

:rolleyes:

Player of the week is often debatable. I thought TJ should have won the previous one. He single-handedly turned around the Utah game when we were dead in the water. Just destroyed the Utah D in the first half. Most important performance by a Cat on the season IMO.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Katzenfreund wrote:Stan 18.5 pts | 8 reb | 2.5 stl | 57% fg | 29 min (road)
Mitten 19.5 pts | 8.5 reb | 3.5 stl | 55 % fg | 37 min (home)

Merk, I don't know what your problem is. In Larry's Pac-12, the latter has the clearly better résumé, period!
Heh, so better stats when changed to points/rebounds per minute, on the road versus at home and just to throw one more on there: combined real time rpi of the two teams for Stan was 140 (28 Stanford, 112 Cal), for Mitten 247 (93 UCLA, 154 USC).
Merkin

Stanley Johnson to Lakers?

Post by Merkin »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Robert Todd Pelinka, Jr.strikes again
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is the program going to get in trouble because he's been talking to an agent? Or is Stanley? I thought you weren't allowed to even orally agree to be represented by an agent if you wanted your amateur status to stay intact.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Is the program going to get in trouble because he's been talking to an agent? Or is Stanley? I thought you weren't allowed to even orally agree to be represented by an agent if you wanted your amateur status to stay intact.
Where does Johnson ever agree or comment any way about this?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:Is the program going to get in trouble because he's been talking to an agent? Or is Stanley? I thought you weren't allowed to even orally agree to be represented by an agent if you wanted your amateur status to stay intact.
Where does Johnson ever agree or comment any way about this?
When has the NCAA ever needed actual proof of wrongdoing to stick a microscope up a program's collective ass and find some kid who got free pizza?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

never -- thats when
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

so how screwed are we going to be from this bleacher report article?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Guys

Stop, just stop. Please stop using things like facts or reasoning or logic when it comes to Stanimal.

Just let go

This is a once in a generation player for us. Let it go, and see how ridiculous he is. Sure we can debate about this and that but for right now he is the greatest. At some point someone else will be BY FAR the greatest, but for now we have Stanimal and he is wearing our Jersey.

Of course he has to perform in the tourney but how much more confident are you about our chances with the way he has played the past 4 games.

He was straight abusing people this weekend.

He is everything we hoped he would be
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:Robert Todd Pelinka, Jr.strikes again
The former Michigan player?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Newportcat wrote:Guys

Stop, just stop. Please stop using things like facts or reasoning or logic when it comes to Stanimal.

Just let go

This is a once in a generation player for us. Let it go, and see how ridiculous he is. Sure we can debate about this and that but for right now he is the greatest. At some point someone else will be BY FAR the greatest, but for now we have Stanimal and he is wearing our Jersey.

Of course he has to perform in the tourney but how much more confident are you about our chances with the way he has played the past 4 games.

He was straight abusing people this weekend.

He is everything we hoped he would be
Phil: Do you ever have déjà vu, Mrs. Lancaster?

Mrs. Lancaster: I don't think so, but I could check with the kitchen.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Kid is only going to get better, still a lot of ball to play.. I agree that he projects as our best pro prospect; our program needs that undeniable NBA superstar.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

SCCat wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:Stan 18.5 pts | 8 reb | 2.5 stl | 57% fg | 29 min (road)
Mitten 19.5 pts | 8.5 reb | 3.5 stl | 55 % fg | 37 min (home)

Merk, I don't know what your problem is. In Larry's Pac-12, the latter has the clearly better résumé, period!
Heh, so better stats when changed to points/rebounds per minute, on the road versus at home and just to throw one more on there: combined real time rpi of the two teams for Stan was 140 (28 Stanford, 112 Cal), for Mitten 247 (93 UCLA, 154 USC).
It was a wash... This past week could have gone either way. Payton was a very deserving winner, as would Stanley have been. We have had times when players were screwed on P12 awards they deserved in the past; this was not one of them.

All your points have some validity, as does the amount of help that each player has on his respective team. 8 assists against only 3 turnovers a for the week, while playing the point for nearly 40 minutes per game, is also worthy of mention.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Newportcat wrote:He is EASILY the Pac-12 player of the year so far and its not even close.
I love Stan but hes not even in the top 10 in the PAC12 for points, rebs, fg%, 3%, assists, blocks ... I could go on. He will probably finish top 5
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Jefe wrote:
Newportcat wrote:He is EASILY the Pac-12 player of the year so far and its not even close.
I love Stan but hes not even in the top 10 in the PAC12 for points, rebs, fg%, 3%, assists, blocks ... I could go on. He will probably finish top 5
How many was NJ in top 10?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He's 10 in conference in PPG, tied for 8th in points. 11th in 3pt %. Nick was 8th in PPG last year. Prob between Stan, Wright, Randle right now
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ok so he is in the Top 10 for points at #10, he is 14th in rebounds, 11th in 3% Percentage, 16th in Field Goal %, 2nd in Free throws made, 6th in Steals, compared to the rest of the Top 10 in scoring he shoots 2 times less per game then the next lowest person. He is also tied for 8th in points scored.

Nick Johnson was 8th in scoring, 32 in rebounds, 36 in shooting percentage, 10th in free throws made, 24th in 3% Percentage (24th?!?!?), 14th in assists, 15th in steals, Nick also shoot the ball 3 times more per game

So yeah, great argument.

Wow, I just used Facts instead of just saying shut up Stanley is God!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

If they all keep playing the same and either Randle or Wright win it just because they are seniors, it will be such a crime.

100 times out of a 100 I take Stanley over those guys if starting a team from scratch