Statistical Jump

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

luteformayor2

Statistical Jump

Post by luteformayor2 »

18 games into the season, a team needs to play a once in a lifetime game to make the statistical jump that we made after last night's game.

Our AdjO ranking jumped 10 spots.

We went from #10 in Kenpom to #5.

When in the fuck does a team ever out offensive rebound another team by 13! Jesus. We played Nasty last night and it was beautiful.

If the AP voters are watching games, we should jump over Utah, Lville, Duke, Kansas, and Wisconsin in the polls. We should start this week back at #5 in the AP and right in place for an amazing season.
dcZONAfan

Re: Statistical Jump

Post by dcZONAfan »

Agreed. But I think we end up at #7 with Wisky at 5 and Duke at 6. It's not right, but it's what will happen
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:18 games into the season, a team needs to play a once in a lifetime game to make the statistical jump that we made after last night's game.

Our AdjO ranking jumped 10 spots.

We went from #10 in Kenpom to #5.

When in the fuck does a team ever out offensive rebound another team by 13! Jesus. We played Nasty last night and it was beautiful.

If the AP voters are watching games, we should jump over Utah, Lville, Duke, Kansas, and Wisconsin in the polls. We should start this week back at #5 in the AP and right in place for an amazing season.
That packline D was incredible by the guys last night. Miller even had me focused. :)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dcZONAfan wrote:Agreed. But I think we end up at #7 with Wisky at 5 and Duke at 6. It's not right, but it's what will happen
Just because Duke rebounded against the 'Ville doesn't make up for that beat down at home against the U. We should jump them.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:Agreed. But I think we end up at #7 with Wisky at 5 and Duke at 6. It's not right, but it's what will happen
Just because Duke rebounded against the 'Ville doesn't make up for that beat down at home against the U. We should jump them.
Seriously, Arizona's beat down yesterday was better than Dukes.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

You could make a case, a slight one, for Wisky above us. But duke, back-to-back losses, that would be horse shit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I honestly have no idea where to rank Duke.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
az91

Post by az91 »

It sucks that Gonzaga is 3. They play in a joke of a conference and won't be challenged the rest of the regular season.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Today's new top 25 rankings from CBS Sports puts Arizona at #9, behind Kansas and everyone else you can think of.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:Today's new top 25 rankings from CBS Sports puts Arizona at #9, behind Kansas and everyone else you can think of.
What a joke. Duke goes 1-1, the loss a blowout at home, and moves up 5 spots? :lol:
-JB
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Longhorned wrote:Today's new top 25 rankings from CBS Sports puts Arizona at #9, behind Kansas and everyone else you can think of.
That's why Kenpom, RPI, and BPI matter. Ap and coaches polls matter a bit but CBS nutting all over it's face doesn't mean anything. Move on
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

We are:

Kenpom #5
RPI #6
BPI #6

That is what matters. Trending up while teams like Wisconsin, Duke, Louisville, and Kansas are trending down.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

How do we win 2 with one being ranked ahead of us and then go down a spot? Don't get it.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Number 7 in today's AP ranking. Seems nearly right, but I'd put us at 6------ ahead of Duke who I think deserves a 9/10 after losing two straight to weak teams and then beating an over-ranked Louisville.

On to Furd. Should be an interesting matchup there as we learn to defend an almost-Triangle offense. Can't wait.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Now we are:

Kenpom #4 (having beat #3 head-to-head)
BPI #5
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

What poster was it last year who put together the list of all the teams in past season who were top 20 in ADJO and ADJD? Wasn't there a correlation between this and winning championships?

Reason is there are only 4 teams in this group this year - we are on of them. Along with UK, UVA, and UNC.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

luteformayor2 wrote:What poster was it last year who put together the list of all the teams in past season who were top 20 in ADJO and ADJD? Wasn't there a correlation between this and winning championships?

Reason is there are only 4 teams in this group this year - we are on of them. Along with UK, UVA, and UNC.
That stat was true for every champion up to last year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:What poster was it last year who put together the list of all the teams in past season who were top 20 in ADJO and ADJD? Wasn't there a correlation between this and winning championships?

That stat was true for every champion up to last year.
That's Winger.

RE: Duke, if Coach K can put together a deep run with this team then he deserves all ESPN slobber he can carry on his lap. Who gives up on his team's ability to defend and throws in the towel with a newly introduced zone after mid-January? Against a top-25 offense, let alone top-50, my guess is that team is in trouble moving forward.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Come back, Winger.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Puerco wrote:Come back, Winger.
He hangs out on the Scout Premium boards now.
Doesn't seem to want to join us for some reason.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I seriously doubt that he doesn't want to join us. As you know, what happens on Scout is that he makes a post and then posters like UACat23 research a bunch of numbers and provide a new statistical analysis in response, to which Winger counters with the relative merits of different data sets, Rey quibbles on interpretive grounds, biases are clarified, and then there's a return to hard numbers that can't be disputed but require a larger sample size. You get caught up in that back-and-forth, and you just can't jump to another board and show a raw analysis to people who haven't been privy to all the dimensions and permutations of the unfolding argument.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
I seriously doubt that he doesn't want to join us. As you know, what happens on Scout is that he makes a post and then posters like UACat23 research a bunch of numbers and provide a new statistical analysis in response, to which Winger counters with the relative merits of different data sets, Rey quibbles on interpretive grounds, biases are clarified, and then there's a return to hard numbers that can't be disputed but require a larger sample size. You get caught up in that back-and-forth, and you just can't jump to another board and show a raw analysis to people who haven't been privy to all the dimensions and permutations of the unfolding argument.
So what you're saying is, he thinks we're too stupid to keep up.

;)
Last edited by PieceOfMeat on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added smiley
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
So what you're saying is, he thinks we're too stupid to keep up.

;)

I've read the thread over there and I know I am too stupid.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

A sweep this week with good numbers should jump us to #3 in KenPom regardless of whether any of the 1-4 teams lose.

It isn't an end all to be up high on kenpom, but it is the most fascinating way to see the value of your team. UVA and UK are gonna be up top all year until they lose, but being #3 come Sunday would be a testament to the strength's of the team. I myself have even been a bit down during points of this year, but our stats are really quite amazing and we do have the potential to be better than last year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

4-0 against Top 50.
Right where I want to be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So all our losses are bad losses?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Moving on up...

Kenpom from #5 to #4
AdjO from #21 to #13
AdjD stagnant at #10
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:So all our losses are bad losses?
In a world where there's only good and bad. Beaver loss trending up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Is there such thing as a good loss?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
Is there such thing as a good loss?
A crazy ex wife in an ugly divorce?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Have I mentioned that I hate Gary Parrish?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Through today's games thus far, we are looking VERY GOOD

AdjO #10 (That is better than Kentucky at #13)
AdjD #7

WE ARE TRENDING UP. Let's whoop the Bears and keep moving up. A quality win poises us to jump Gonzaga to #3 overall.
Last edited by luteformayor2 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Not to mention Michigan is playing Wisconsin toe to toe. Michigan winning now. That upset or a close game would bolster our stats more than any other and drastically improve our SOS
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

.9554 pyth - up from .9514

TRENDING UP
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Now - .9617 pyth

Kenpom #3 (we jumped gonzaga)
AdjD up to #4
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Now - .9617 pyth

Kenpom #3 (we jumped gonzaga)
AdjD up to #4
:shock:

What sayeth you Winger?
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'd imagine for consistency sake, he'd say better chance than last year, with the standard "depends on matchups" caveat, followed by a hair band reference.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Adj O dropped from 11th to 14th (shooting 10% below our average an 15 turnovers).
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:I'd imagine for consistency sake, he'd say better chance than last year, with the standard "depends on matchups" caveat, followed by a hair band reference.
That's about right.
WildcatStunner wrote:Adj O dropped from 11th to 14th (shooting 10% below our average an 15 turnovers).
That's about right.

Ugly game on that side of the ball. AdjT went down 0.2 to 67.3 after that game as well.

The gap in AdjD between Kentucky and the field is startling.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

The actual numbers are even more interesting than the rankings:

2015 Adj O: 115 v. 2014 Adj O:114.7
2015 Adj D: 86.9 v. 2014 Adj D: 88.5

So they've improved overall in both categories, and surprisingly, the bigger improvement is in Adj D.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Where are we relative to lasts years BASH injury? Because I believe that we would've been the odds favorite to cut the nets had that unfortunate injury not occurred.

Is there a way to calculate 2014 pre and post BASH injury Adj O and D?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Where are we relative to lasts years BASH injury? Because I believe that we would've been the odds favorite to cut the nets had that unfortunate injury not occurred.

If you search posts at TOS around the date of Bash's injury you could probably find our metrics to that point in the season. If I remember correctly we were 1st in defense and out of the top 20 in offense, but I could be totally remembering that wrong.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Where are we relative to lasts years BASH injury? Because I believe that we would've been the odds favorite to cut the nets had that unfortunate injury not occurred.

If you search posts at TOS around the date of Bash's injury you could probably find our metrics to that point in the season. If I remember correctly we were 1st in defense and out of the top 20 in offense, but I could be totally remembering that wrong.
Bash went down on 2/1 in the loss to Cal. (man it hurt looking that up right now. remembering where and what I was doing)

AdjO/AdjD
1/29/15: 23/2
2/2/15: 35/1
End of 2014 season 3/31/15: 20/1

1/31/15: 14/4

NICE. Glad I did that exercise, really puts this season so far in perspective. GO CATS!

Next thought question: Is our AdjO really that improved from last year or is the rest of the field weaker this year? Maybe a bit of both?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think our offense is markedly better. We shouldn't forget that our best offense for stretches last year was throwing the ball at the rim and getting multiple offensive rebounds off subsequent missed tip shots. Oh those dreaded bunnies...

No such issues this year. TJ has elevated his game and can get his shot off seemingly at will, and Stanley is worlds better than NJ and AG at hitting high percentage shots.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Stanley can score at will. He is quickly becoming Gilbert Arenas circa 2001.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

luteformayor2 wrote:Stanley can score at will. He is quickly becoming Gilbert Arenas circa 2001.
This I like.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Nobody can score at will. Nobody can "get to the rim any time they want." Nobody is unstoppable. Stan had 8 Friday. Left his will in the locker room? No. He struggled, like all players sometimes.

P.S. Arenas was up and down, too.

How about they put together consistent season-long excellence before deification?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I could have got to the rim but I didn't want.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

gumby wrote:Nobody can score at will. Nobody can "get to the rim any time they want." Nobody is unstoppable. Stan had 8 Friday. Left his will in the locker room? No. He struggled, like all players sometimes.

P.S. Arenas was up and down, too.

How about they put together consistent season-long excellence before deification?
Yeah, I would say his numbers reflect consistent season-long excellence exactly how it is defined. 15 and 8 with his fg% is pretty fucking impressive for a freshman on a top tier team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:I could have got to the rim but I didn't want.
I could score at Will if it were Will Robinson.