Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

threenumberones

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by threenumberones »

Olsondogg wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
az91 wrote:
gumby wrote:More free throws. More one-point possessions. Don't believe we made consecutive tosses in that game. Hard to come back when the other team is hitting 80 percent, despite being a poor FT team. They raised their level. We dropped ours. In all facets.

UCLA crushed in SLC. Win at home. Happens a lot. That's why coaches preach "focus."
Miller doesn't have the players this year that can execute his defense effectively.
What's effectively? Can an opponent ever score in order for it to be effective? Olson probably wouldn't have sniffed the top 10 in efficiency with his scheme and this team.

Interior defense was god awful at ASU. Atrocious. It's an anomaly and it will be fixed. Not the norm. The pack line isn't broken, at all. And that's the glory of it, the system typically trumps most personnel deficiencies.

You watch the games, right?

Just a point on your post...Miller was asked what the problems with the interior defense were against ASU...and he said the problems weren't the interior, but the perimeter defense. To many players getting past defenders, able to dribble drive into the paint.
Gotcha, didn't see that. Maybe Miller needs to watch the game too!

Really tho, that's probably just coaches speak to spread the blame around and get the whole team in the doghouse. ASU did whatever they wanted inside, from the post even, and they are smaller and less athletic.
Machina

Post by Machina »

catgrad97 wrote:
Machina wrote:I see a lot of talk about KENPOM and AdjO and AdjD. How much of it is this year's team and how much of it is the weak competition?

Some stats are better this year but my eyes and heart tell me last year's team was better, even without Ashley
If any post was just begging to be bumped...again and again...
Serious question, what team do you did you have more faith in? This year's team or last year's?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

What in the world does that matter?

Machina, I have had equal faith in pretty much every team to win six in a row in the Dance since I was a 9-year-old eating a TV dinner to Arizona's 1984 first-round loss to Alabama in the Pit.

Except for '97. When Arizona went down 10 to South Alabama in the second half, I turned off Brian Jeffries and abandoned all hope. How did that turn out?

If anything, the Cats need for me to completely lose faith in the team for it to finally win another championship. I have the power.
Machina

Post by Machina »

catgrad97 wrote:What in the world does that matter?

Machina, I have had equal faith in pretty much every team to win six in a row in the Dance since I was a 9-year-old eating a TV dinner to Arizona's 1984 first-round loss to Alabama in the Pit.

Except for '97. When Arizona went down 10 to South Alabama in the second half, I turned off Brian Jeffries and abandoned all hope. How did that turn out?

If anything, the Cats need for me to completely lose faith in the team for it to finally win another championship. I have the power.
Kind of weird you would have the same faith in the 2001 Team as you would the 2004 or 2008 teams but that is you.

I though this year's team was supposed to be better based off the conversations on the boards compared to last year, especially with the Ashley injury. I personally do not think that is the case. But hopefully Miller will exceed my expectations and the Cats will finally get back to the final four. Would be nice to have something positive to think about when it comes to Miller of late.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
Machina wrote:I see a lot of talk about KENPOM and AdjO and AdjD. How much of it is this year's team and how much of it is the weak competition?

Some stats are better this year but my eyes and heart tell me last year's team was better, even without Ashley
If any post was just begging to be bumped...again and again...
Serious question, what team do you did you have more faith in? This year's team or last year's?
On Feb. 11? Tough question. Fans reeling from the uncertainty of losing Bash and losing to Cal, followed by a mere two-point victory over Oregon at McKale.

York for Bash. Two subpar performances. Faith was tested. But I realize memories are short or can be clouded by the knowledge of what eventually transpired.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote: Would be nice to have something positive to think about when it comes to Miller of late.
Nothing prior to the latest loss picked up your spirits? (Alumni events don't count).

What Have You Done For Me Lately -- Steve Goodman and Shel Silverstein

She was young and beautiful and drowning
And I was the only hero in the crowd
Gave her artificial respiration,
Mouth to mouth resuscitation
Took her home and dried her out
Fed her lots of chicken soup and chocolate
And tucked her right in a feather bed
Nursed her through the night and with the
Morning light she rolled over, looked up
At me and said;

What have you done for me lately
'Cause lately I've been doing without you.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:
Stanley pulling a Lance Stephenson. Classic
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Machina wrote: Would be nice to have something positive to think about when it comes to Miller of late.

This is a great example of why you get so much grief Machina. I'm not picking on you; I'm not trying to be mean.

Why would you say something like this??
97cats

Post by 97cats »

cause hes a fucking passive aggressive, no identity or backbone, fucking idiot of a person, pussy bitch.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

97cats wrote:cause hes a fucking passive aggressive, no identity or backbone, fucking idiot of a person, pussy bitch.
:lol:

Fuck yeah he is.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:

This is a great example of why you get so much grief Machina. I'm not picking on you; I'm not trying to be mean.

Because it is true. Not impressed with him and don't have a lot of positive things to think about him currently.

I have my reasons and I will be happy to share them with you. I have hinted at them for a long time. I was incredibly disappointed on many levels on Saturday and Miller is a big reason why.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Machina wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

Because it is true. Not impressed with him and don't have a lot of positive things to think about him currently.

I have my reasons and I will be happy to share them with you. I have hinted at them for a long time. I was incredibly disappointed on many levels on Saturday and Miller is a big reason why.
You are either the most discrete troll that I have seen, or you are the worst poster I have seen. At first I kinda felt bad that people give you so much shit, but after watching you post for a while, it is completely warranted.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's cause he didn't do a "Tip off Taste" for Machina's alumni crowd and because he was a meany on the sidelines.

Oh, and also what 97Cats said.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Jesus Machina, the world doesn't revolve around your baby feelings.

Arcadia Tavern sucks too. I was in town a couple weeks ago and my parents live right near there. Figured I'd pop in for a beer to check it out and they were closed...at like 1045...on a Saturday.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's gonna be interesting to see how everyone on here reacts if we fall short of the FF again. I think another Elite Eight run would satisfy most of us, at least that's the impression I get after getting a read on everyone's expectations for the current season. Falling short of the Elite Eight would probably ruffle some feathers. Or maybe not. Miller is already beyond reproach for many of us.

Then there's the Rabb recruitment. And 97 has us feeling cautiously optimistic.

One thing's for sure: there are going to be lots of strong opinions expressed on here, over the next 2 to 3 months, about Miller's job performance, and those opinions will be influenced in no small measure by (a) the outcome of this season and (b) the outcome of our 2015 recruiting efforts.

I hope it works out for Sean. I'm critical of his performance at times, but overall, I like the guy and want him to succeed here.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I doubt anyone of importance would care what a few entitled pricks on a message board would say in any scenario.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

But he was the coach last year, too. So, your answer is that you didn't have much faith either season? This is why you get grief. You ask what seems to be a sincere question, but it turns out to be disingenuous.

In any event, it's good to know that it's personal. Had to be, actually. Because on a rational level your posts fail. Why not just say this a long time ago, rather than pretend to provide insight and analysis.

Done wasting time with your delicate psyche and faux concern.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's gonna be interesting to see how everyone on here reacts if we fall short of the FF again. I think another Elite Eight run would satisfy most of us, at least that's the impression I get after getting a read on everyone's expectations for the current season. Falling short of the Elite Eight would probably ruffle some feathers. Or maybe not. Miller is already beyond reproach for many of us.

One thing's for sure: there are going to be lots of strong opinions expressed on here, over the next 2 to 3 months, about Miller's job performance, and those opinions will be influenced in no small measure by (a) the outcome of this season and (b) the outcome of our 2015 recruiting efforts.

I hope it works out for Sean. I'm critical of his performance at times, but overall, I like the guy and want him to succeed here.
Your on-the-one-hand/on-the-other-hand act is exceedingly old, too.
Machina

Post by Machina »

pokinmik wrote:Jesus Machina, the world doesn't revolve around your baby feelings.

Arcadia Tavern sucks too. I was in town a couple weeks ago and my parents live right near there. Figured I'd pop in for a beer to check it out and they were closed...at like 1045...on a Saturday.
When was the last time I promoted Arcadia Tavern? I don't know and I don't care to look it up. Fact is it is the best place without a doubt to watch game unless you are there at the game during the NCAA. Why else would multiple news stations cover it and there be standing room only hours before tip off? I never said it was a great place to go besides games. Keep pretending and lying about what I post.

As for my "baby feelings", the world should revolve around loving and helping people. Miller made that extremely hard to do for a lot of people all for the sake of beating ASU in Tempe, which he failed to do.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just snuck into Miller's house and quickly snapped this photo:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Couple of things:

First, I nailed it. Machina is pissed because Miller didn't do the Tip off Taste. Whaaa Whaaaaa...it's not exactly charity. Money went to only seniors in HS in Maricopa County. If you live in AZ you can get the UA license plate for $25 and that money will go to scholarships for HS students (I was a recipient, thank you).

Secondly, Machina does not know what a fact versus an opinion is. I'd like to say that my living room, with my access to my personal kegerator and the ability to hit "mute" is the absolute best place to go besides games.

That's a fact.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:It's gonna be interesting to see how everyone on here reacts if we fall short of the FF again. I think another Elite Eight run would satisfy most of us, at least that's the impression I get after getting a read on everyone's expectations for the current season. Falling short of the Elite Eight would probably ruffle some feathers. Or maybe not. Miller is already beyond reproach for many of us.

Your on-the-one-hand/on-the-other-hand act is exceedingly old, too.
My bad, gumby. I'll let the season and Rabb's recruitment play out, and we can revisit this down the road.

Here's hoping we're finding more about Miller to praise than to pan this spring.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Machina wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

I can assure everyone on these boards that Machina has no reasons he can share with you that substantiate this negative assessment of Sean Miller. Machina does this thing where he gives "hints" followed by claims to reveal the full truth by way of private messages. As long as he keeps from speaking directly and openly about what he claims to hint at, the best you can do is imagine that there are some posters out there who have read their private messages from Machina and are so compelled by the weight of the revelation, they swear their own oath to secrecy. I have been privileged to receive such a private message, and all I can say is that maybe other posters are getting a fuller account than what he gave me.

Is that right, Machina? Are you telling others more than you told me? Am I just part of a much larger web of intrigue who lacks the clearance for the total revelation that exposes Coach Miller? Are you ready to come out and tell the world right now what thus far can only be hinted at? Or am I going to get another private message from you designed to make me feel special to be privy to a hint and a half of a larger hint that hopefully one day I'll be fit to view partially through an opaque window in the Hall of the Eleusinian Mysteries?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Coach Miller brings his trademark intensity to charity.

Just not the right one, I guess.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:Would be nice to have something positive to think about when it comes to Miller of late.

I have my reasons and I will be happy to share them with you. I have hinted at them for a long time.
Can you post without a passive-aggressive shot? Thankfully I have never encountered a grown man with that affliction to anywhere near the degree that you have it.

I think most on this board are fluent enough in "chick speak" to have caught your not-so-siubtle hints "begging" for someone to ask you to "share your pain" (or whatever pain you think you have). No one took the bait, because no one cares. You listen to your heart; we don't want to.

If you do not have something positive from Miller in the 6 seasons he has been here, then that is your issue. It seems abundantly clear that it is one of many.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:As for my "baby feelings", the world should revolve around loving and helping people. Miller made that extremely hard to do for a lot of people all for the sake of beating ASU in Tempe, which he failed to do.
Did you develop your writing style from BJ's tweets, or is it the other way around? I am sure that whatever fundraising you do is swell, but you have a sorely inflated view of the importance of your efforts. Also, there is a time and a place to ask for help... And interrupting even the most philanthropic of sorts on a business trip is shallow and selfish in its poor judgment.

And directly from sources within the AD.... Miller is the most revered and loved coach (by the people who interact with him directly) that has been at the UA in the last 35 years. And it is because he treats people (even the little ones) exceptionally well.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wells said twice, Harvey.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

gumby wrote:Coach Miller brings his trademark intensity to charity.

Just not the right one, I guess.

that was hilariously great
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

az91

Post by az91 »

Miller is a great recruiter, a good motivator, and a mediocre Xs and Os coach. On Saturday, he was out-coached by Sendek, and Senedek's team was more motivated.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

az91 wrote:Miller is a great recruiter, a good motivator, and a mediocre Xs and Os coach. On Saturday, he was out-coached by Sendek, and Senedek's team was more motivated.
Them's fightin words around here, az91. You'd best watch yourself.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

az91 wrote:Miller is a great recruiter, a good motivator, and a mediocre Xs and Os coach. On Saturday, he was out-coached by Sendek, and Senedek's team was more motivated.
You're entitled to your opinion, but in a poll of 250 Div 1 coaches in 2013, Miller was voted the #5 X and O coach in all of college basketball by his own peers. Please feel free to look it up. If you think Arizona lost to ASU because of coaching, you can think that as well.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Katzenfreund wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Are you ready to come out and tell the world right now what thus far can only be hinted at?
Miller ain't BJ Denker. That's all. He probably rejected a bro hug.
On bro-hug with BJ:

"Machina is one of a kind but "force" is definitely not the right word...it appeared to be a pretty mutually enjoyable experience."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Them's fightin words around here, az91. You'd best watch yourself.
Nice grammar, teach!

Opinions are welcome even if they are wrong.

It's the incessant paranoia... The declarations that doom is predetermined after every bump in the road (followed by proclamations after every big win)... The swings from irrational exuberance to unwarranted dejection (rinse, repeat)... that are completely untenable.

Make up your mind on Miller, Sybil, and stick with it. Treatment for MPD might help... Chances are it might be covered under your benefits plan.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Yeah, I don't mind Miller criticism at all - no matter how much I disagree with it.

Maybe I do have too low of expectations but as bad as I want to get back to a Final Four, I think the last half dozen years have been awesome. As a Denver Bronco fan, believe me - it's much better to be knocking on the door constantly & kicking ass every year to fall short than it is to just suck. Which is where that football team is headed.

Coach Miller kept us from that, period.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

Why don't you tell people what happened (or didn't happen) during Tip Off Taste? If Miller was so egregious in his behavior then it should probably be pretty easy to spill what happened right?
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

97cats wrote:cause hes a fucking passive aggressive, no identity or backbone, fucking idiot of a person, pussy bitch.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Here's hoping we're finding more about Miller to praise than to pan this spring.
I think the fact that we are not a crater of a program remembering some past glory after an amazingly ugly two year protracted end to the run of a legend, but rather a program that keeps falling a shot short in the Elite Eight, is all the reason needed to praise Miller over panning him. For, like eternity.

Does everyone remember just how close to falling off the edge of the basketball universe we actually were? Jesus....
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

why don't these threads start after bone-crushing wins?
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Nice responding win. Our three losses are attributed to not having enough want an fire, that's all I think it is.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Yeah Final 4 blah blah blah. But did anyone seriously think whoever came after Lute would keep pace with his overall coaching record? I sure didn't. There aren't many programs as blessed as we are. Enjoy the ride.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Yeah Final 4 blah blah blah. But did anyone seriously think whoever came after Lute would keep pace with his overall coaching record? I sure didn't. There aren't many programs as blessed as we are. Enjoy the ride.
Yes. Because Lute built AZ into an elite program. And programs that are truly elite should be able to sustain a high level of success from one generation to the next. Miller is keeping the program at the level that we all came to expect during Lute's tenure, but he hasn't quite broken through to that higher threshold of the FF. Here's hoping he gets there soon.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Get a personality BeachCat, or at least stick to your convictions.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Get a personality BeachCat, or at least stick to your convictions.
My convictions? We're not getting to the FF this year.

My hope? We're getting to the FF this year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote: Yeah Final 4 blah blah blah. But did anyone seriously think whoever came after Lute would keep pace with his overall coaching record? I sure didn't. There aren't many programs as blessed as we are. Enjoy the ride.
Yes. Because Lute built AZ into an elite program. And programs that are truly elite should be able to sustain a high level of success from one generation to the next. Miller is keeping the program at the level that we all came to expect during Lute's tenure, but he hasn't quite broken through to that higher threshold of the FF. Here's hoping he gets there soon.
You make it sound simple. We had four coaches in four years, with Miller being the fourth.

Previous perennial powers say hi: DePaul, Indiana, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, UNLV, Purdue, Iowa, UCLA, Maryland, Missouri, Wake Forest, Cincy, Oklahoma.

Some that went away and came back: Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Michigan.

No guarantee that because you follow a Wooden, Crum, Tarkanian, Cremins, Williams, Hall, Meyer, Richardson, Thompson, Tubbs, Stewart, Keady or Olson that victories will continue apace. More evidence that you won't.

It's impressive that Miller has averaged 25 victories a year. Why not appreciate it?
Last edited by gumby on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller has a .587 winning percentage in true road games. Has the most in conference since arriving. Arizona has ninth most victories since 2010-11. Most in conference.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd like to see a list of coaches that have a higher ceiling than Miller.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Longhorned wrote:I'd like to see a list of coaches that have a higher ceiling than Miller.
The coaches that COULD be on the list

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Machina wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'd like to see a list of coaches that have a higher ceiling than Miller.
The coaches that COULD be on the list

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Good, thank you. Can we add Brad Stevens even though he's temporarily in the NBA? Now, when it comes to apprehensions about Miller vis-a-vis those who Arizona should have hired instead, or who could replace Miller, it's important to ask whether coaches have already hit their ceilings and are ready to retire. That crosses off Roy, K, and Bo.

We can't include Izzo because, more relevant than the fact that he isn't leaving East Lansing is that he's entered into semi-retirement and is no longer recruiting. Michigan State won't be relevant again unless he decides to wake up again.

I can't imagine what would indicate that Smart's ceiling is higher than Miller's, but let's say it is. And let's set aside all of our questions about whether we should judge Ollie's ceiling by winning six in a row with a team that, by standard measures, wasn't NC-caliber. And let's forget about the fact that Self didn't out-perform Miller in his first six years on the job. Including them, along with Calipari (who already got away when Arizona wanted him the first time), there are five coaches in all of college basketball who could have a higher future ceiling than Miller.

What should we do?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:So here's how I expect the rest of the season to go:

@UW L
@WSU W
USC W
UCLA W
@Col W
@Utah L
Cal W