TJ McConnell.... True Wildcat

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

a4ragtop

Re: TJ McConnell.... True Wildcat

Post by a4ragtop »

Walton's right - this guy's the league MVP. He's carrying this team, night in and night out. Taking the shots and hitting them when he needs to ... never taking the shot when he doesn't. Hitting every open teammate every time. Rebounding, stealing. Pumping up the crowd like Ooh-Ah!

I've always upheld Jason Gardner as the epitome of the rock-solid, gutty Arizona point guard. And he'll always have a place in my heart. But the spell of Sevun is shattered ... there is now no limit to where this team can go, as long as TJ's suited up.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He was a machine tonight.

I literally held my breath when he went out of the game with that leg injury. I saw our whole season going down the tubes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

a4ragtop wrote:Walton's right - this guy's the league MVP. He's carrying this team, night in and night out. Taking the shots and hitting them when he needs to ... never taking the shot when he doesn't. Hitting every open teammate every time. Rebounding, stealing. Pumping up the crowd like Ooh-Ah!

I've always upheld Jason Gardner as the epitome of the rock-solid, gutty Arizona point guard. And he'll always have a place in my heart. But the spell of Sevun is shattered ... there is now no limit to where this team can go, as long as TJ's suited up.
I really hope after he goes and makes his money he comes back to the program in some capacity.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

You've gotta give POY to TJ if we win the conference. The Delon Wright love affair needs to stop until they learn how to play on the road.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

With him running the offense, we can just about get a layup on every possession if we are patient enough. Tonight, especially early, we were trying to score too quick against a pretty damn good zone. But when we didn't try to hit 7 point shots and started being patient, we eventually found a way into the paint. And that is all about TJ and keeping that zone moving.

His January is really one to talk about for a long time. Hopefully, he keeps it up for another couple of months...
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

8 steals, 1 block, 6 assists and only 1 TO

incredible performance in this type of game against a team that plays a deliberate offense and a stingy zone defense
gumby

Post by gumby »

One steal shy of the conference record held by Bennett Davison and Brevin Knight. As I said in the game thread, his tenacity is something I haven't seen since Reggie Geary. And if he breaks that assist-to-turnover record of Steve Kerr, wow.

Our most important player.
Right where I want to be.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

gumby wrote:One steal shy of the conference record held by Bennett Davison and Brevin Knight. As I said in the game thread, his tenacity is something I haven't seen since Reggie Geary. And if he breaks that assist-to-turnover record of Steve Kerr, wow.

Our most improved player too, which is crazy for a 5th year senior who was really, really good last year.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:8 steals, 1 block, 6 assists and only 1 TO

incredible performance in this type of game against a team that plays a deliberate offense and a stingy zone defense
Not to mention two more assists that Dusan screwed up :-(. TJ is a stud and another example of not only CSM's eye for talent and recruiting prowess but also his ability to develop said talent.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:He was a machine tonight.

I literally held my breath when he went out of the game with that leg injury. I saw our whole season going down the tubes.
You weren't the only Wildcat fan holding their breath at that moment.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:
gumby wrote:One steal shy of the conference record held by Bennett Davison and Brevin Knight. As I said in the game thread, his tenacity is something I haven't seen since Reggie Geary. And if he breaks that assist-to-turnover record of Steve Kerr, wow.

Our most improved player too, which is crazy for a 5th year senior who was really, really good last year.
That, too. I should note Pascoe reported the steals thing.
cpt

Post by cpt »

Can I ask a question? How did Sean miss on TJ out of high school? He knew the family, he had seen TJ play...how great would it have been to have him all 4 years?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mid-major point guard according to enfuego.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cpt wrote:Can I ask a question? How did Sean miss on TJ out of high school? He knew the family, he had seen TJ play...how great would it have been to have him all 4 years?
Once TJ committed to Duquesne he shut down his recruitment. When bigger programs came calling at the end of his junior year he told them thanks but no thanks, he was sticking with his commitment. Then he obviously realized his skills could compete on a bigger stage once he got into school. Had he realized that in high school and not been so loyal, he might have been in a Pitt or WVU uniform his whole career.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

This dummy should be banned from ever discussing basketball, at any level.

http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/52133.shtml
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tomahawk Jam. So that's what the "TJ" stands for.

Seeing him rebound, this doesn't surprise me.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good Pascoe article on the value of TJ.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 09e1f.html
Oregon State coach Wayne Tinkle: “He is everything to this team.”

Former Wildcat great Sean Elliott: “I like our chances this year. … because you have T.J. McConnell. To me, he’s really big.”

Former Wildcat forward Aaron Gordon: “Even though Stanley is one of their best players, I think it really comes down to T.J. McConnell. … He’s killing it.”

And UA coach Sean Miller: “Last season, this season… no player we’ve recruited has been more impactful than T.J.”
An underrated concept is how well guys play when the game isn't going well. TJ was the only guy bringing it in that Beaver loss. First guy to bring it when Utah jumped out to the lead.

Really going to miss this dude.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

TJ has dug deep this year and pulled out the confidence Miller so desperately wanted out of him last year. Maybe he was too comfortable letting his good friend Nick be the alpha. But damn has he been bringing the grittiest of grit recently.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

AZCatGirl wrote:You've gotta give POY to TJ if we win the conference. The Delon Wright love affair needs to stop until they learn how to play on the road.
Why would it need to stop? Delon Wright deserves all of the praise he gets, the kid can play. I'd personally give him the edge over TJ, as he is the man on that team, and gives you pretty much everything TJ does (or close to) with 55 percent shooting from the floor and 80 pct from the line. Teams focus on stopping Wright, teams dare TJ to shoot and focus on clogging the paint and stopping the other starters. I know I will get ripped for saying this because people love TJ, but putting aside TJ being in the program the last 3 years and knowing the system and fitting in with our guys, if you asked me at the beginning of the year to swap TJ for Wright, I would take it.

Regardless, Stanley will be conference player of the year, deservedly so. TJ is the glue that holds it together and his value to us is without question, but that doesn't translate to player of the year.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I know TJ's value goes beyond a stat sheet, but looking at the numbers, it is SCARY how close TJ's and PJC's numbers are. PCJ gets roughly 1/3 of TJ's minutes (and he does get valuable minutes, lets not pretend its all garbage time here).

TJ (MPG) 29.9, (PPG) 9.0 (RPG) 3.9 (APG) 5.8 (TO) 1.8 (SPG) 2.2 (FG) 48.3 (3pfg) 29.3 (FT) 65.5
PCJ 10.3; 3.1; 1.3; 1.9; .6; .4; 45.3; 31.3; 60.0;

Multiple all of those by 3 to equal TJ's minutes, and the points, boards, assists, turnovers are pretty much identical. Shoots a little lower from the field and line, and higher from deep. Defense is not close, but otherwise scary.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

rgdeuce wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:You've gotta give POY to TJ if we win the conference. The Delon Wright love affair needs to stop until they learn how to play on the road.
Why would it need to stop? Delon Wright deserves all of the praise he gets, the kid can play. I'd personally give him the edge over TJ, as he is the man on that team, and gives you pretty much everything TJ does (or close to) with 55 percent shooting from the floor and 80 pct from the line. Teams focus on stopping Wright, teams dare TJ to shoot and focus on clogging the paint and stopping the other starters. I know I will get ripped for saying this because people love TJ, but putting aside TJ being in the program the last 3 years and knowing the system and fitting in with our guys, if you asked me at the beginning of the year to swap TJ for Wright, I would take it.

Regardless, Stanley will be conference player of the year, deservedly so. TJ is the glue that holds it together and his value to us is without question, but that doesn't translate to player of the year.
Utah is only 3-3 in true road games, with two of those wins being against ASU and USC. His numbers are impressive, but I don't feel he deserves consideration with his team struggling on the road. If Utah wins at Colorado and sweeps the Washington or Oregon schools, my opinion would change assuming they keep dominating at home (except when we come in, of course.)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:I know TJ's value goes beyond a stat sheet, but looking at the numbers, it is SCARY how close TJ's and PJC's numbers are. PCJ gets roughly 1/3 of TJ's minutes (and he does get valuable minutes, lets not pretend its all garbage time here).

TJ (MPG) 29.9, (PPG) 9.0 (RPG) 3.9 (APG) 5.8 (TO) 1.8 (SPG) 2.2 (FG) 48.3 (3pfg) 29.3 (FT) 65.5

Multiple all of those by 3 to equal TJ's minutes, and the points, boards, assists, turnovers are pretty much identical. Shoots a little lower from the field and line, and higher from deep. Defense is not close, but otherwise scary.
That's a testament to how good PJC has been and how quickly he's adapted to the college game. Not a whole lot else.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I know TJ's value goes beyond a stat sheet, but looking at the numbers, it is SCARY how close TJ's and PJC's numbers are. PCJ gets roughly 1/3 of TJ's minutes (and he does get valuable minutes, lets not pretend its all garbage time here).

That's a testament to how good PJC has been and how quickly he's adapted to the college game. Not a whole lot else.
In all fairness though, even impressed with PJC as I am, with 1/3rd as many minutes he does have fresher legs.

No one runs more out there than TJ does. Forgot the exact number, but someone tracked him last year and said he runs one more mile per game than anyone else does.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Why isn't TJ a Wooden finalist?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute was right during TJ's redshirt year that the Cat's best player is on the bench.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TJ is MVP of the PAC and it isn't even close
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:

That, too. I should note Pascoe reported the steals thing.
I thought it was Brian Williams . . .
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Got a lot of love on SportsCenter.
eoe

Post by eoe »

NBA player. Don't believe me, just watch.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

eoe wrote:NBA player. Don't believe me, just watch.
That's what I've been saying, but like no one wants to admit it because if you look at him, he looks like joe on the street. He is an NBA player for sure, and he's getting better, which is crazy. About to hit is prime. Yea, I don't want those eyes, that hustle, those moves on my team. He can't defend. Wait, he can't score. Wait.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Incredible IQ, great demeanor, incredible sense of awareness, and he can do a little bit of everything.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

He's literally just toying with the Pac-12 right now. There's no answer. It's seriously like:

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Can someone make a meme? "TJ McConnell Be Like"

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote:He was a machine tonight.
Change the date from Jan 30 to Feb 13. Same message.

Maybe save it as a signature...
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

When Miller talked about TJ being an NBA player, I thought it was just one point guard admiring another one. Now I'm thinking he has a real chance. No wonder Lute said he was our best player.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TJ is at worst the 3rd best NBA prospect on this team, miles ahead of Ashley and Zeus
gumby

Post by gumby »

Once again, when the team was struggling -- 1 of 6 to start -- he takes over. Love this guy. When up 36-14, he sat, and the offense immediately bogged down. Several empty possesions.

MVP.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Once again, when the team was struggling -- 1 of 6 to start -- he takes over. Love this guy. When up 36-14, he sat, and the offense immediately bogged down. Several empty possesions.

MVP.

Really need PJC back. York is not a PG, and thankfully RHJ hasn't brought the ball down yet. I'd rather see Stanimal do it then those guys.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So what's PJC's status? Anyone hear anything?
gumby

Post by gumby »

USC game at the earliest.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Seems like TJ is great at controlling the flow of the game. In the first half when we needed to get things going he was the guy to do it and had 8 pts and 8 assists at the half (I think). Second half we seemed to be in more of a rhythm and he didn't have to be as aggressive. The guy has been absolutely killing it this season.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Airizona wrote:Seems like TJ is great at controlling the flow of the game. In the first half when we needed to get things going he was the guy to do it and had 8 pts and 8 assists at the half (I think). Second half we seemed to be in more of a rhythm and he didn't have to be as aggressive. The guy has been absolutely killing it this season.
Been doing this ever since the Utah game. Just dominates both sides of the ball. One of the top 5 pgs ever at UA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lute4God wrote:
Airizona wrote:Seems like TJ is great at controlling the flow of the game. In the first half when we needed to get things going he was the guy to do it and had 8 pts and 8 assists at the half (I think). Second half we seemed to be in more of a rhythm and he didn't have to be as aggressive. The guy has been absolutely killing it this season.
Been doing this ever since the Utah game. Just dominates both sides of the ball. One of the top 5 pgs ever at UA.
Bibby
Terry
D Stoudamire
Gardner
TJ? Really?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Lets see if we make the Final Four, then revisit.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

http://streema.com/radios/The_Source_KCUB

There is a nice post game going on right now on 1290 with Kelvin Eafon. Telling stories about JET in advance of his ceremony at McKale.

The pregame is on for almost 4 hours before each game. I think its like 2 - 2hour loops

Great stuff.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Lute4God wrote:
Bibby
Terry
D Stoudamire
Gardner
TJ? Really?
I love tj but don't forget Reeves. He was pretty much unstoppable as a senior. Led us to a ff which we lost to eventual champion Arkansas in 94. Averaged 24.2 points per game and set the UA single-season scoring record with 823 points. He would never play for Miller since he didn't really give a hoot about defense though.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Lute4God wrote:http://streema.com/radios/The_Source_KCUB

There is a nice post game going on right now on 1290 with Kelvin Eafon. Telling stories about JET in advance of his ceremony at McKale.

The pregame is on for almost 4 hours before each game. I think its like 2 - 2hour loops

Great stuff.
This is really good. thanks. Who is Kelvin again?
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

CBCat wrote:
Lute4God wrote:http://streema.com/radios/The_Source_KCUB

Great stuff.
This is really good. thanks. Who is Kelvin again?

Im not much of an FB fan but he was *17 TDs" a short yardage RB and also a bench player for Olson. Good buddy of JET and recruited him to come here. He has done most of the shows are I have really learned to respect his takes based on his years playing for Arizona
Last edited by Lute4God on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.