Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Reydituto

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by Reydituto »

Machina wrote:
pokinmik wrote:Jesus Machina, the world doesn't revolve around your baby feelings.

Arcadia Tavern sucks too. I was in town a couple weeks ago and my parents live right near there. Figured I'd pop in for a beer to check it out and they were closed...at like 1045...on a Saturday.
When was the last time I promoted Arcadia Tavern? I don't know and I don't care to look it up. Fact is it is the best place without a doubt to watch game unless you are there at the game during the NCAA. Why else would multiple news stations cover it and there be standing room only hours before tip off? I never said it was a great place to go besides games. Keep pretending and lying about what I post.

As for my "baby feelings", the world should revolve around loving and helping people. Miller made that extremely hard to do for a lot of people all for the sake of beating ASU in Tempe, which he failed to do.

You're saying it is a better place to watch a UA game than McKale. Which is asinine. Much like the rest of your butt-hurt posts about Sean Miller that no one else cares about. Either have the balls to say on an anonymous message board what really and truly upsets you about Sean Miller as a basketball coach, or GTFO out with your childish and myopic view of Sean Miller that by all accounts, is as churlish and puerile as they come. As it stands now, you deserve every bit of mocking ridicule hurled your way, much like the fecal matter you post.
Last edited by Reydituto on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Machina wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'd like to see a list of coaches that have a higher ceiling than Miller.
The coaches that COULD be on the list

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Tony Bennett
Petino
Larry Brown

Roy Williams is hella overrated BTW.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

How many final fours has Miller been to?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

threenumberones wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
az91 wrote:
gumby wrote:More free throws. More one-point possessions. Don't believe we made consecutive tosses in that game. Hard to come back when the other team is hitting 80 percent, despite being a poor FT team. They raised their level. We dropped ours. In all facets.

UCLA crushed in SLC. Win at home. Happens a lot. That's why coaches preach "focus."
Miller doesn't have the players this year that can execute his defense effectively.
What's effectively? Can an opponent ever score in order for it to be effective? Olson probably wouldn't have sniffed the top 10 in efficiency with his scheme and this team.

Interior defense was god awful at ASU. Atrocious. It's an anomaly and it will be fixed. Not the norm. The pack line isn't broken, at all. And that's the glory of it, the system typically trumps most personnel deficiencies.

You watch the games, right?

Just a point on your post...Miller was asked what the problems with the interior defense were against ASU...and he said the problems weren't the interior, but the perimeter defense. To many players getting past defenders, able to dribble drive into the paint.
Gotcha, didn't see that. Maybe Miller needs to watch the game too!

Really tho, that's probably just coaches speak to spread the blame around and get the whole team in the doghouse. ASU did whatever they wanted inside, from the post even, and they are smaller and less athletic.
What game were you watching man? Lol. no spreading the blame, the perimeter D was putrid. They killed us in points in the paint but that was due to the perimeter D
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

97cats wrote:cause hes a fucking passive aggressive, no identity or backbone, fucking idiot of a person, pussy bitch.
:shock: :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Machina wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I'd like to see a list of coaches that have a higher ceiling than Miller.

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Lmao. You talking ceilings about Several dudes who go a foot or two higher and they are dead. You really dont know much about sports do you
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Machina wrote:

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Tony Bennett
Petino
Larry Brown

I would advise you to stop before you embarrassed yourself, but I am afraid it is too late.

You and machina should hook up at Arcadia Tavern for a couple of cosmo's and appletinis.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'm guessing that genital warts are alot like this thread.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Harvey Specter wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Machina wrote:

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Tony Bennett
Petino
Larry Brown

I would advise you to stop before you embarrassed yourself, but I am afraid it is too late.

You and machina should hook up at Arcadia Tavern for a couple of cosmo's and appletinis.
What?

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Machina wrote:

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Tony Bennett
Petino
Larry Brown

What?
bump

What do you mean?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

How about a list of coaches who replaced legends and maintained the winning percentage?
Right where I want to be.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

gumby wrote:
How about a list of coaches who replaced legends and maintained the winning percentage?
But don't forget to factor in that the Pac-12 SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Machina wrote:

Roy Williams
Kevin Ollie
Coach K
Coach Cal
Billy D
Billy Self
Bo Ryan
Tom Izzo
Shaka Smart
Gregg Marshall
Tony Bennett
Petino
Larry Brown

bump

What do you mean?
Tony Bennet is a terrific coach at a similar age. That said, he has accomplished nowhere near in his short career what Miller has, nor given any indication that he will deliver more in the future.

Gregg Marshall is toxic, which is why he is still at Wichita State. Nice Final 4 run, but all that means is he has made ONE Final 4. As for conferences that suck... Well you get the idea. You are part of a very small & exclusive minority opinion if you truly believe Marshall has a higher upside than Miller.

The biggest part that you do not seem to get is measuring the accomplishment of a coach in the twilight of his career with a much younger man whose best days are almost assuredly in front of them. The "celing" of guys like K, Williams, Pitino, Izzo, and (the worst of all) that relic Larry Brown - are deep in the rear view mirror.

It's as if someone posted about Stanimal's upside among current & future NBA players, and you & Machina posted "Kobe has WAY more upside... Look at all he has accomplished". To which I would expect you might follow up with "I'd draft Kobe ahead of Stanley TODAY.".. And I would say you are a fool.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Bennet is a better coach than Miller. The guy took what was one of the worst programs in the country in Washington State and led them to two NCAA Tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen when the Pac-10 actually had talent. These past two years he has dominated one of the toughest conferences in the country. Miller's career record is (270-98) a 74% win percentage and Bennett's is (198-94) a 68%. That being said Miller of course coached five season's in the A-10 and nearly six in a down Pac-12. I'm not knocking Miller who like I continually say is a "very good coach" but Bennett is a great coach.

Marshall is similar to Miller in my opinion in that he is an excellent defensive mind but unlike Miller can actually draw up an offense. Wichita State was a basket away from the National Championship in 2013 before the eventual champ Louisville made some plays late in that game. Don't forget, Wichita beat Ohio State in the Elite Eight, of course that was the same Ohio State team that knocked Arizona out in the Sweet Sixteen.

You're right about calculating age when determining a coach's "ceiling". I guess who I was listing were just coaches I feel are better than Miller in measuring a single season.

That being said, Bennett, Smart, Ollie, Cal, Donovan, and Marshall have higher "ceilings".

Self sucks. Williams sucks.
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LOL at Ollie's ceiling wrt Miller.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

CalStateTempe wrote:LOL at Ollie's ceiling wrt Miller.
Jury is still out on him but is very difficult to vote against him when his team made the run they did last year. Do you have any idea the coaches and teams he beat on that run?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Jury is still out on him but is very difficult to vote against him when his team made the run they did last year. Do you have any idea the coaches and teams he beat on that run?
got hot at the right time.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

CalStateTempe wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
True to a certain extent considering Shabazz was mostly unstoppable. That being said, Kentucky was just as hot if not hotter going into their NC Championship game and Florida in their Final Four game was on a 30 game win streak.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
True to a certain extent considering Shabazz was mostly unstoppable. That being said, Kentucky was just as hot if not hotter going into their NC Championship game and Florida in their Final Four game was on a 30 game win streak.
So did Arizona in 97. But you don't need to sully the board with your thoughts of Lute's ceiling.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:It's gonna be interesting to see how everyone on here reacts if we fall short of the FF again. I think another Elite Eight run would satisfy most of us, at least that's the impression I get after getting a read on everyone's expectations for the current season. Falling short of the Elite Eight would probably ruffle some feathers. Or maybe not. Miller is already beyond reproach for many of us.

Then there's the Rabb recruitment. And 97 has us feeling cautiously optimistic.

One thing's for sure: there are going to be lots of strong opinions expressed on here, over the next 2 to 3 months, about Miller's job performance, and those opinions will be influenced in no small measure by (a) the outcome of this season and (b) the outcome of our 2015 recruiting efforts.

I hope it works out for Sean. I'm critical of his performance at times, but overall, I like the guy and want him to succeed here.
wtf?
gumby

Post by gumby »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
gumby wrote:
But don't forget to factor in that the Pac-12 SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS.
Same conference as Lute, which sucked even more in the 80s.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Bennet is a better coach than Miller. The guy took what was one of the worst programs in the country in Washington State and led them to two NCAA Tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen when the Pac-10 actually had talent. These past two years he has dominated one of the toughest conferences in the country. Miller's career record is (270-98) a 74% win percentage and Bennett's is (198-94) a 68%. That being said Miller of course coached five season's in the A-10 and nearly six in a down Pac-12. I'm not knocking Miller who like I continually say is a "very good coach" but Bennett is a great coach.

Marshall is similar to Miller in my opinion in that he is an excellent defensive mind but unlike Miller can actually draw up an offense. Wichita State was a basket away from the National Championship in 2013 before the eventual champ Louisville made some plays late in that game. Don't forget, Wichita beat Ohio State in the Elite Eight, of course that was the same Ohio State team that knocked Arizona out in the Sweet Sixteen.

You're right about calculating age when determining a coach's "ceiling". I guess who I was listing were just coaches I feel are better than Miller in measuring a single season.

That being said, Bennett, Smart, Ollie, Cal, Donovan, and Marshall have higher "ceilings".

The only 2 on our list I can respect (even if I disagree with) are Bennet and Smart.

I am not sure Bennett can recruit at a high enough level to be a consistently dominant national force, and Virginia is a better situation than Xavier... That said, I have great respect for Bennet and am not here to diminish him. Regardless of what you say, virtually every post you make is a veiled attempt to diminish Miller. That's your prerogative, but I don't agree with you - and I would never in a million years trade Miller for Bennett.

Same goes for Smart, Dynamic young coach, but having a Final 4 run does not a career make. That said, he is certainly one of the brighter stars in the coaching ranks. I would not trade Miller for him either, but I would guess there may be a pretty even vote among those in the college BB community as to who has a brighter future.

Marshall? You can have him. You point to one outstanding season (beating a team we lost to) as your evidence of his superiority, which is completely ridiculous. As ridiculous as it would be for me to say "Miller is superior to K" because he took a team with less talent and absolutely corn-holed the "master" on a national stage in the Sweet 16 a few years ago.

Ollie? He might be terrific, but please. How is UConn this year? I am no more ready to concede that Kevin Ollie is the "next big thing" than I would have been to crown Tubby Smith with that same moniker in 1998. We know how that turned out.

So does NCAA tourney performance matter more than anthing or not at all? You are all over the board... Marshall is better because of his (I assume Smart, too - although quite inconsistent)... But with Bennet it does not matter. Rather than look at facts and establish your opinion - you have your opinion and pick and choose the facts that back up your agenda. Why are you on a UA message board anyway?

Cal and Donovan are not in the conversation. They are already giants in the game, and have a pedigree and tenure to validate it.

Among virtually every non-UA college BB fan I know, Miller is in the Top 5 of young coaches with significant upside, and closer to the top more often than not. Smart and Bennett are also often in that conversation...

I hope your Shockers & Cavaliers do well in the tournament this year. Maybe UConn can win the NIT.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Bennet is a better coach than Miller. The guy took what was one of the worst programs in the country in Washington State and led them to two NCAA Tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen when the Pac-10 actually had talent. These past two years he has dominated one of the toughest conferences in the country. Miller's career record is (270-98) a 74% win percentage and Bennett's is (198-94) a 68%. That being said Miller of course coached five season's in the A-10 and nearly six in a down Pac-12. I'm not knocking Miller who like I continually say is a "very good coach" but Bennett is a great coach.

Arizona's AdjO is 12th right now, but keep being ignorant.

Miller has gone to the second weekend of the tournament more times the past two seasons than Marshall has in his whole 16 year career.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

lol at wanting Shaka Smart.

Exciting to watch, but nah, I'll pass. I think his system has been figured out and its going to be tougher for him going forward. Terrible D coach too.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Thought I'd check in to this thread again..and yep...just as I figured. Weeeee
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ever notice how much Rocky Raccoon sounds like Scummy Dick Douglass/Orangecrush. Very similar styles. You know the I am just keeping it real while diminishing anything Arizona post
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

this thread feels like a parody. like - it's hard to believe some of the things posted in here are serious.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:

Miller has gone to the second weekend of the tournament more times the past two seasons than Marshall has in his whole 16 year career.
If you really believe Miller coaches a quality offense I literally feel sorry for you as an observer of the game of basketball and really as a human being all together.

Please try harder to understand and appreciate what you are watching. Just because they put up 90 points against UW and WSU doesn't make them a good offensive team.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:this thread feels like a parody. like - it's hard to believe some of the things posted in here are serious.
The only appropriate response to a post like that is...

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

If you really believe Miller coaches a quality offense I literally feel sorry for you as an observer of the game of basketball and really as a human being all together.

Please try harder to understand and appreciate what you are watching. Just because they put up 90 points against UW and WSU doesn't make them a good offensive team.
Arizona is 26th in PPG. Wichita State is 101st. Of the 25 teams ahead of Arizona, about 20 of them are unranked. Which team is your model of great offense?
Arizona is 7th in FG percentage. Wichita State is 118th.
Arizona's ADJ 0 is 12th. Don't know Wichita State's. Perhaps someone can post it.

Maybe if you literally typed some objective criteria for "good offense," we could literally see your point. Because the eye test thing is lame, though not literally lame.

Self and Williams will be Hall of Fame coaches.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Gumby - you should give writing credit on that post to Beyoncé.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

You are literally an idiot. Every number out there says our offense is pretty darn good
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Gumby - you should give writing credit on that post to Beyoncé.
http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/mo ... ng-beyonce

We found Rocky! I can't even express my thanks. Literally dying here.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Miller gets several blue chip prospects every season. It would be almost impossible for a team with multiple five stars, multiple NBA draft picks, and a talented senior point guard playing in a bad major conference not to average what they are averaging.

This once again goes back to my point that so many of you guys don't understand the game. You look at numbers. You look blowouts. You look at regular season non-conference success.

You don't really watch the games. You don't really see what is happening on the court. You watch a freak of nature like Stanley Johnson steal a basketball or throw down an alley oop against a team like USC and say, "Gee, Sean Miller really knows how to coach em up."

Sean Miller is a good coach who has brought an incredible defensive presence to the Wildcats. I love that. I love defense. It is my favorite aspect of every sport I watch. That being said, That will only get you so far in March every year.

I will try and give a simple example of Miller's either inability or unwillingness to coach high quality offense: This is Zeus's third season and he has not learned a single post move since he has been here. Why? Because Miller is happy with a large human being that takes up space and that's about it. What does Miller say about Zeus in the offseason? Does he comment about him being a real basketball player that can move in the post, or catch the ball, or keep the ball high? No, he is instead emphatic about Zeus's progress in the weight room.

I don't blame Miller exactly. Fundamentals have gone away from the game since AAU has become so popular. Basketball is now dominated by freaky athletes that can run fast and jump high. Those are the kinds of players Miller recruits and that is okay if you develop them, the only problem is, Miller struggles with that.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

All your post does is show that you don't understand the game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

ASUHATER! wrote:All your post does is show that you don't understand the game.
Why?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have seen some improvement in Tarcs game over the years. I think he has a better face up game and he has put it on the deck more recently and shown some jump hooks lately.

I see the cats doing a lot of low block sets. Curl cuts for the bigs and weakside screens and baseline cuts. Tarc has been open plenty on the sets but to your point he still doesn't go up elbows out and he oftenbrings the ball down making his attempt slow in happening giving the defense time to recover.

I see high ball screens on the perimeter and the occasional skip pass Along with the occassional slip screenfrom ash or RHJ. At times they go away from calls and just run motion where they do get a little stagnant at times.

Maybe Miller relies too much on there athleticism but I still think it just comesback to taking good shots and knocking them down
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Miller gets several blue chip prospects every season. It would be almost impossible for a team with multiple five stars, multiple NBA draft picks, and a talented senior point guard playing in a bad major conference not to average what they are averaging.

This once again goes back to my point that so many of you guys don't understand the game. You look at numbers. You look blowouts. You look at regular season non-conference success.

You don't really watch the games. You don't really see what is happening on the court. You watch a freak of nature like Stanley Johnson steal a basketball or throw down an alley oop against a team like USC and say, "Gee, Sean Miller really knows how to coach em up."

Sean Miller is a good coach who has brought an incredible defensive presence to the Wildcats. I love that. I love defense. It is my favorite aspect of every sport I watch. That being said, That will only get you so far in March every year.

I will try and give a simple example of Miller's either inability or unwillingness to coach high quality offense: This is Zeus's third season and he has not learned a single post move since he has been here. Why? Because Miller is happy with a large human being that takes up space and that's about it. What does Miller say about Zeus in the offseason? Does he comment about him being a real basketball player that can move in the post, or catch the ball, or keep the ball high? No, he is instead emphatic about Zeus's progress in the weight room.

I don't blame Miller exactly. Fundamentals have gone away from the game since AAU has become so popular. Basketball is now dominated by freaky athletes that can run fast and jump high. Those are the kinds of players Miller recruits and that is okay if you develop them, the only problem is, Miller struggles with that.
You have made WAY too many stupid (yes, stupid) and unsubstantiated claims to condescend on this board has though you have some superior understanding of the game. You have a right to your opinion, but you fall very short on supporting data in support of the arguments you think you are making. When you have an opinion that cannot be backed up by supporting information - there is a word for it. WRONG.

Reading some of your posts is like listening to Bill Walton... "I know everything and do not confuse me with the facts. No one playing the game today is a better 3-point shooter than Larry Byrd". At least he comes to the game from a platform of experience, achievement, and credibility.

As for Tarc, I watch EVERY game, and I would say he has made TREMENDOUS progress in terms of the offensive skills he has demonstrated OCAASIONALLY this season. Watch the Michigan game, the Gonzaga game, or any number of other games in which he has played well, he has demonstrated excellent footwork around the basket on a variety of post moves he did not have when he got here.

The problem? He is terribly inconsistent... Has horrible hands, and has a propensity to bring the ball down and get it stripped. Is that because of coaching? It could be... Reasonable minds can disagree. I think the lack of his ability to catch passes is not due to any lack of coaching, and I think he has had a hard time breaking some natural habits and tendencies.

Would riding the pine help? Possibly... But he does not seem like the most confident kid in the world - so such a maneuver could make matters worse. It seems clear from all reports his issues do not come from a lack of effort or dedication. So the question becomes - what is in the best interests of the TEAM? Tarc playing or sitting? I know my opinion.

You are kind of like the anti-Tarc. Lots of confidence and bravado... But most here would agree your "perceptive basketball eye" is not quite as sharp as you think it is. And despite whatever you were probably taught in school - saying something does not make it so.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bravo Harvey, Bravo
gumby

Post by gumby »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Miller gets several blue chip prospects every season. It would be almost impossible for a team with multiple five stars, multiple NBA draft picks, and a talented senior point guard playing in a bad major conference not to average what they are averaging.

Once again, just more presumptuous pronouncements based on your theory that you possess greater knowledge accumulated by actually watching the games. Whereas, we just check the stats later and blow off the games.

(Hey, posters. Raise your hands if this describes you!)

Need evidence. Actual data. That's what sentient beings do in arguments. Anyone can bark. It's just not believable that you're that much smarter with the eye test. In addition, your posts suggest you watch many other teams in detail, too. And that they don't have players who fail to develop at the requisite pace. In truth, all coaches face this. Even the exalted Coach K.

The rest of it is just slippery nonsense, such as having elite talent. Like Kentucky doesn't? Still, it scores less.

You have to admit that having those offensive stats doesn't jibe with your posts. One would presume much worse numbers based on your descriptions.
Last edited by gumby on Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

gumby wrote:

Once again, just more presumptuous pronouncements based on your theory that you possess greater knowledge accumulated by actually watching the games. Whereas, we just check the stats later and blow off the games.

Need evidence. Actual data. Because it's just not believable that you're that much smarter with the eye test. In addition, your post suggest you watch many other teams in detail, too. And that they don't have players who fail to develop at the requisite pace.

The rest of it is just slippery nonsense, such as having elite talent. Like Kentucky doesn't? Still, it scores less.

You have to admit that having those offensive stats doesn't jibe with your posts.
I mean actually WATCH the games with detail. Not just see a guy make a jump shot or block a shot. Actually observe the game and all of its intricacies. Of course you guys watch the games but that is not what I actually mean when I say "WATCH THE GAMES."

And actually Cal is overrated too. He is a lot like Miller only he recruits better because he is at Kentucky and has a better resume.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

I do. Often rewatch them. Next excuse.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Harvey Specter wrote:

You have made WAY too many stupid (yes, stupid) and unsubstantiated claims to condescend on this board has though you have some superior understanding of the game. You have a right to your opinion, but you fall very short on supporting data in support of the arguments you think you are making. When you have an opinion that cannot be backed up by supporting information - there is a word for it. WRONG.

Reading some of your posts is like listening to Bill Walton... "I know everything and do not confuse me with the facts. No one playing the game today is a better 3-point shooter than Larry Byrd". At least he comes to the game from a platform of experience, achievement, and credibility.

As for Tarc, I watch EVERY game, and I would say he has made TREMENDOUS progress in terms of the offensive skills he has demonstrated OCAASIONALLY this season. Watch the Michigan game, the Gonzaga game, or any number of other games in which he has played well, he has demonstrated excellent footwork around the basket on a variety of post moves he did not have when he got here.

The problem? He is terribly inconsistent... Has horrible hands, and has a propensity to bring the ball down and get it stripped. Is that because of coaching? It could be... Reasonable minds can disagree. I think the lack of his ability to catch passes is not due to any lack of coaching, and I think he has had a hard time breaking some natural habits and tendencies.

Would riding the pine help? Possibly... But he does not seem like the most confident kid in the world - so such a maneuver could make matters worse. It seems clear from all reports his issues do not come from a lack of effort or dedication. So the question becomes - what is in the best interests of the TEAM? Tarc playing or sitting? I know my opinion.

You are kind of like the anti-Tarc. Lots of confidence and bravado... But most here would agree your "perceptive basketball eye" is not quite as sharp as you think it is. And despite whatever you were probably taught in school - saying something does not make it so.
Well according to your standards...

Nice to meet you kettle.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

gumby wrote:I do. Often rewatch them. Next excuse.
If that is true that just means you are blinded like 99% of fans of sports teams. That's okay. It is to be expected.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That troll just never goes hungry, does he...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
If that is true that just means you are blinded like 99% of fans of sports teams. That's okay. It is to be expected.
Ah, you're a One Percenter. Elite watcher. No wonder you're in love with yourself
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RockyRaccoon,

You have observed what sounds like some very serious coaching limitations of Sean Miller. I appreciate having a fan here who knows more about the game than the rest of us, and is able to perceive the marked limitations of the available statistical analyses. What would you advise that we or Arizona Athletics do about this matter?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

gumby wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Ah, you're a One Percenter. Elite watcher. No wonder you're in love with yourself

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

More like ...

Last edited by gumby on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My goodness, have you read that guys sig. I don't think I have ever seen anyone as full of themself as rocky is. I just have to wonder if he is serious