Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RockyRaccoon

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Longhorned wrote:RockyRaccoon,

You have observed what sounds like some very serious coaching limitations of Sean Miller. I appreciate having a fan here who knows more about the game than the rest of us, and is able to perceive the marked limitations of the available statistical analyses. What would you advise that we or Arizona Athletics do about this matter?
Arizona Athletics should do absolutely nothing. Miller has 0% reason to be let go as of now. He has been highly "successful" and has done a very good job of making the Wildcats into one of the best defensive teams in the country year in and year out.

The fans of Arizona basketball do have some responsibility however. Please do what you can do limit the blindness that comes with "success". Don't be afraid or too simplistic/ignorant to be critical from time to time of even certain "untouchables". Don't just cheer alley opps and shots that are swatted 15 rows into the stands, cheer quality. Do what you can to understand the game better.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:I mean actually WATCH the games with detail. Not just see a guy make a jump shot or block a shot. Actually observe the game and all of its intricacies. Of course you guys watch the games but that is not what I actually mean when I say "WATCH THE GAMES."

Don't just "watch" the games...WATCH them the way Rocky watches them!

The RIGHT way, you simplistic, ignorant morons!
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

catgrad97 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:I mean actually WATCH the games with detail. Not just see a guy make a jump shot or block a shot. Actually observe the game and all of its intricacies. Of course you guys watch the games but that is not what I actually mean when I say "WATCH THE GAMES."

Don't just "watch" the games...WATCH them the way Rocky watches them!

The RIGHT way, you simplistic, ignorant morons!
I'm not saying you HAVE TO watch the games properly, I'm just saying it will make you understand the game better.

Just trying to help you fellas out.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RockyRaccoon wrote:

You have observed what sounds like some very serious coaching limitations of Sean Miller. I appreciate having a fan here who knows more about the game than the rest of us, and is able to perceive the marked limitations of the available statistical analyses. What would you advise that we or Arizona Athletics do about this matter?
Arizona Athletics should do absolutely nothing. Miller has 0% reason to be let go as of now. He has been highly "successful" and has done a very good job of making the Wildcats into one of the best defensive teams in the country year in and year out.

The fans of Arizona basketball do have some responsibility however. Please do what you can do limit the blindness that comes with "success". Don't be afraid or too simplistic/ignorant to be critical from time to time of even certain "untouchables". Don't just cheer alley opps and shots that are swatted 15 rows into the stands, cheer quality. Do what you can to understand the game better.
We'll try to do better. But it's just so hard, given our lacking sophistication in the nuances of the game, its history, and how to understand the objective metrics that compare offensive and defensive efficiencies from team to team and year to year. Thank you again for your helpful guidance, which is making all of these issues blatantly clear.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

We'll try to do better. But it's just so hard, given our lacking sophistication in the nuances of the game, its history, and how to understand the objective metrics that compare offensive and defensive efficiencies from team to team and year to year. Thank you again for your helpful guidance, which is making all of these issues blatantly clear.
Poor grammar.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Says the guy who doesn't know how to spell Pitino.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Poor grammar.
Thank you, teacher. Can you please explain what's wrong that grammar so I can learn not to repeat it?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Poor grammar.
Far be it for someone like me to correct anything uttered by someone of your stature, but "poor grammar" is not a grammatically correct sentence.

Please forgive my impertinence.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

UAEebs86 wrote:Says the guy who doesn't know how to spell Pitino.
I'm not sure misspelling a name falls under the category of "poor grammar." per se.
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

However, misspelling PER SE absolutely does.
RockyRaccoon wrote:I'm not saying you HAVE TO watch the games properly, I'm just saying it will make you understand the game better.

How kind of you. Just too bad nobody else has reported success from your superior insights into the game of basketball.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Poor grammar.
Thank you, teacher. Can you please explain what's wrong that grammar so I can learn not to repeat it?
The sentence should have been, "But it's just so hard, given our lack of sophistication in the nuances of the game..."

Honestly I can't exactly explain why it is incorrect but rather I can only state it in the correct way. I was never very good at explaining the technicalities of the English language.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
Far be it for someone like me to correct anything uttered by someone of your stature, but "poor grammar" is not a grammatically correct sentence.

I never suggested it was a sentence.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

catgrad97 wrote:However, misspelling PER SE absolutely does.
RockyRaccoon wrote:I'm not saying you HAVE TO watch the games properly, I'm just saying it will make you understand the game better.

How kind of you. Just too bad nobody else has reported success from your superior insights into the game of basketball.
fixed

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I would never deign to point out something so obvious to someone of your superior genetic gifts, but you started it with a capitalized letter in the first word and ended it with a period.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I would never deign to point out something so obvious to someone of your superior genetic gifts, but you started it with a capitalized letter in the first word and ended it with a period.
I'm not sure that is what makes something a sentence. It might suggest it is a sentence but I don't think it guarantees that was the objective of what I said.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RockyRaccoon wrote: The sentence should have been, "But it's just so hard, given our lack of sophistication in the nuances of the game..."

Honestly I can't exactly explain why it is incorrect but rather I can only state it in the correct way. I was never very good at explaining the technicalities of the English language.
Well, since you're so confident in your grasp of basketball and the English language in spite of your inability to explain either, I'll help you out. "Lacking" is an adjective. It's a synonym for "inadequate."
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote: The sentence should have been, "But it's just so hard, given our lack of sophistication in the nuances of the game..."

Well, since you're so confident in your grasp of basketball and the English language in spite of your inability to explain either, I'll help you out. "Lacking" is an adjective. It's a synonym for "inadequate."
What are you suggesting?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'm not sure that is what makes something a sentence. It might suggest it is a sentence but I don't think it guarantees that was the objective of what I said.
Are you your own sovereignty now?

Do you refuse to recognize the rules of the constitution and declare yourself to be your own nation? I must assume you do, Bert/Percy/Olson Court, since you choose to dispute basic grammatical rules as if they don't apply to you.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

What are you suggesting?
That people who are negative attention whores should shampoo my crotch.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

Come now fellow Wildcats, it's clear that Rocky's primary gift to mankind is to enlighten us. Would you quibble over a few dangling participles, misspellings or grammar in the Sermon on the Mount?

Continue to enlighten us brother Rocky!
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Do you refuse to recognize the rules of the constitution and declare yourself to be your own nation? I must assume you do, Bert/Percy/Olson Court, since you choose to dispute basic grammatical rules as if they don't apply to you.
Well technically, sentences usually require a subject and a verb.

The argument you are making is like suggesting saying, "No." is a sentence.

It can be said that is an imperative sentence but is that actually a real sentence?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

catgrad97 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

What are you suggesting?
That people who are negative attention whores should shampoo my crotch.
Are you suggesting that you would like another man to clean/maintain your genitals?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:

Well technically, sentences usually require a subject and a verb.

The argument you are making is like suggesting saying, "No." is a sentence.

It can be said that is an imperative sentence but is that actually a real sentence?
Boring.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

waysouthcat wrote:Come now fellow Wildcats, it's clear that Rocky's primary gift to mankind is to enlighten us. Would you quibble over a few dangling participles, misspellings or grammar in the Sermon on the Mount?

Continue to enlighten us brother Rocky!
A request if I may, will you cease in your comparisons between me and a mythical wizard that has played an enormous role in deterring human evolution and in many ways has promoted atavistic tendencies.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Bennet is a better coach than Miller. The guy took what was one of the worst programs in the country in Washington State and led them to two NCAA Tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen when the Pac-10 actually had talent. These past two years he has dominated one of the toughest conferences in the country. Miller's career record is (270-98) a 74% win percentage and Bennett's is (198-94) a 68%. That being said Miller of course coached five season's in the A-10 and nearly six in a down Pac-12. I'm not knocking Miller who like I continually say is a "very good coach" but Bennett is a great coach.

Marshall is similar to Miller in my opinion in that he is an excellent defensive mind but unlike Miller can actually draw up an offense. Wichita State was a basket away from the National Championship in 2013 before the eventual champ Louisville made some plays late in that game. Don't forget, Wichita beat Ohio State in the Elite Eight, of course that was the same Ohio State team that knocked Arizona out in the Sweet Sixteen.

You're right about calculating age when determining a coach's "ceiling". I guess who I was listing were just coaches I feel are better than Miller in measuring a single season.

That being said, Bennett, Smart, Ollie, Cal, Donovan, and Marshall have higher "ceilings".

Self sucks. Williams sucks.
Arizona's AdjO is 12th right now, but keep being ignorant.

Miller has gone to the second weekend of the tournament more times the past two seasons than Marshall has in his whole 16 year career.
If you really believe Miller coaches a quality offense I literally feel sorry for you as an observer of the game of basketball and really as a human being all together.

Please try harder to understand and appreciate what you are watching. Just because they put up 90 points against UW and WSU doesn't make them a good offensive team.
I have brought you statistical data that Miller's offense this year is not only good, but elite.

What is your intelligent argument against? You literally provide no detail, Ken Pomeroy has more basketball knowledge in his morning dumps than you do overall. I will trust his analysis over yours.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Bennet is a better coach than Miller. The guy took what was one of the worst programs in the country in Washington State and led them to two NCAA Tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen when the Pac-10 actually had talent. These past two years he has dominated one of the toughest conferences in the country. Miller's career record is (270-98) a 74% win percentage and Bennett's is (198-94) a 68%. That being said Miller of course coached five season's in the A-10 and nearly six in a down Pac-12. I'm not knocking Miller who like I continually say is a "very good coach" but Bennett is a great coach.

Marshall is similar to Miller in my opinion in that he is an excellent defensive mind but unlike Miller can actually draw up an offense. Wichita State was a basket away from the National Championship in 2013 before the eventual champ Louisville made some plays late in that game. Don't forget, Wichita beat Ohio State in the Elite Eight, of course that was the same Ohio State team that knocked Arizona out in the Sweet Sixteen.

You're right about calculating age when determining a coach's "ceiling". I guess who I was listing were just coaches I feel are better than Miller in measuring a single season.

That being said, Bennett, Smart, Ollie, Cal, Donovan, and Marshall have higher "ceilings".

Miller has gone to the second weekend of the tournament more times the past two seasons than Marshall has in his whole 16 year career.
If you really believe Miller coaches a quality offense I literally feel sorry for you as an observer of the game of basketball and really as a human being all together.

Please try harder to understand and appreciate what you are watching. Just because they put up 90 points against UW and WSU doesn't make them a good offensive team.
I have brought you statistical data that Miller's offense this year is not only good, but elite.

What is your intelligent argument against? You literally provide no detail, Ken Pomeroy has more basketball knowledge in his morning dumps than you do overall. I will trust his analysis over yours.
Rocky doesn't respond to arguments that demonstrate he's wrong, but you may get a, "What are you suggesting?"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

No one but a guy who named himself after a dipshiit who got himself punched, cuckolded, and then shot in a middling Beatles tune actually WATCHES college basketball so you're gonna have to just Rocky's old infallible hairy eyeball. It sees ALL.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Please tell me this isn't Percy
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

That being said, according to Ken Pom, the Wildcats would have one of the worst strength of schedules among top 25 major teams. Let's say the Kentucky Wildcats played only Div. 3 teams and averaged 200 points a game. Their offense stat would be adjusted because of a weak schedule but they would still have a top 5 offense according to Ken Pom.

And since when did the 12th best adjusted offense make a team "elite" offensively? My detention of elite is usually top 3 to 5. Their defense is top 5 so I would categorize that as elite.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

What's up fellas? What's going on here? Have I missed anything?
This post was made by RockyRaccoon who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
I think Sean Miller's ceiling is very high. I can't imagine anyone else who understands college basketball would disagree with that sentiment.
This post was made by RockyRaccoon who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
Hmmm, I guess not much is going on in this thread, so back to Cervantes ...
Last edited by Reydituto on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Please tell me this isn't Percy
Nah, just enfuego.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Don't feed the trolls.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Reydituto wrote:What's up fellas? What's going on here? Have I missed anything?
I think Sean Miller's ceiling is very high. I can't imagine anyone else who understands college basketball would disagree with that sentiment.
It is high but very high?

I definitely think his ceiling is getting to a few final fours. That's pretty good.

Like I have said before, there is a HUUUUUUUGE difference between winning a national championship and getting to the final four.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Ok, at least I know now you have no clue how advanced stats work. You should read up and hopefully you can positively contribute to these board by next season.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You mean Miguel de Cervantes? What are you reading now?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:Ok, at least I know now you have no clue how advanced stats work. You should read up and hopefully you can positively contribute to these board by next season.
Explain.

At least explain your definition of elite.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:Ok, at least I know now you have no clue how advanced stats work. You should read up and hopefully you can positively contribute to these board by next season.
Explain.

12th best offense out of 351 isn't elite to you?

Please explain how the offense isn't elite, I would love to hear your wisdom. You've really just said nothing to this point.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Pomeroy is a smart guy no doubt but to suggest his data doesn't have some faults is just crazy. He has Davidson as the sixth best adjusted offense. Davidson is a good team but they don't have a top ten offense especially when it will come down to March. What Ken Pom doesn't seem to calculate is the effect of playing major teams in succession and wearing down. Yes Davidson had some success offensively against North Carolina and Virginia but does that mean they would be so effective week in and week out in a major conference? No I don't so.

It goes back to my point about Kentucky playing Division 3 teams and averaging 200 points a game. That was hyperbole but instead lets say they played Davidson's schedule and instead averaging 81.3 points a game like Davidson does, they average 90 points a game. That would probably put them near the top in Ken Pom's adjusted offense rating and that is crazy if you consider that Kentucky is nowhere near the best offense in the country this season.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Pomeroy is a smart guy no doubt but to suggest his data doesn't have some faults is just crazy. He has Davidson as the sixth best adjusted offense. Davidson is a good team but they don't have a top ten offense especially when it will come down to March. What Ken Pom doesn't seem to calculate is the effect of playing major teams in succession and wearing down. Yes Davidson had some success offensively against North Carolina and Virginia but does that mean they would be so effective week in and week out in a major conference? No I don't so.

It goes back to my point about Kentucky playing Division 3 teams and averaging 200 points a game. That was hyperbole but instead lets say they played Davidson's schedule and instead averaging 81.3 points a game like Davidson does, they average 90 points a game. That would probably put them near the top in Ken Pom's adjusted offense rating and that is crazy if you consider that Kentucky is nowhere near the best offense in the country this season.
Why couldn't Davidson have the 6th best adjusted offense in the country? You can clearly see they have the 231st best defense, so they aren't without faults.

If your best retort against his data is that a smaller school has a top 10 adjusted offense then you really need to educate yourself with advanced analytics before you start having your strong opinions. Just because it goes against your ingrained sensibilities, doesn't mean he's wrong.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Explain.

Please explain how the offense isn't elite, I would love to hear your wisdom. You've really just said nothing to this point.
No it really isn't.

If we use your definition of elite that would imply Northern Iowa is an elite team because they are #11 in the AP Top 25 out of 351 teams.

Is Northern Iowa a very good team this year? No doubt. Are they elite. Nope.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Explain.

No it really isn't.

If we use your definition of elite that would imply Northern Iowa is an elite team because they are #11 in the AP Top 25 out of 351 teams.

I could give a shit about the AP poll, most of those guys are lazy morons.

Anyone in the KenPom Top 12 could get hot and win the title in March, for the love of god explain why Arizona's offense isn't good this year. Debating with you is likely debating with my wife, constant subject changing.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:
El cerco de Numancia. MdC's influence can still be seen in the modern fantasy of Iñárritu, Cuaron and Willy del Toro.

I would read Don Quixote de la Mancha for the 4th time, but this thread exists, so there's no need to.

Next week I'm on to the Novelas Ejemplares.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Have you watched Davidson this year? Their offense is great.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Chicat wrote:Have you watched Davidson this year? Their offense is great.
It's so funny, he looked on KP's site for some outlier data but the only reason Davidson is so low on his rankings is their horrendous defense.

Dude is a total logic fail when it comes to sports, I pray he's not an Arizona alum.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Pomeroy is a smart guy no doubt but to suggest his data doesn't have some faults is just crazy. He has Davidson as the sixth best adjusted offense. Davidson is a good team but they don't have a top ten offense especially when it will come down to March. What Ken Pom doesn't seem to calculate is the effect of playing major teams in succession and wearing down. Yes Davidson had some success offensively against North Carolina and Virginia but does that mean they would be so effective week in and week out in a major conference? No I don't so.

Why couldn't Davidson have the 6th best adjusted offense in the country? You can clearly see they have the 231st best defense, so they aren't without faults.

If your best retort against his data is that a smaller school has a top 10 adjusted offense then you really need to educate yourself with advanced analytics before you start having your strong opinions. Just because it goes against your ingrained sensibilities, doesn't mean he's wrong.
I'm not saying he is wrong but that doesn't mean his data is a 100% perfect analysis of what happens on the court.

Let me ask you this, would you choose Davidson's offense over Arizonas? Clearly they are better.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

I'm not saying he is wrong but that doesn't mean his data is a 100% perfect analysis of what happens on the court.

Let me ask you this, would you choose Davidson's offense over Arizonas? Clearly they are better.
WHY IS ARIZONA BETTER AT OFFENSE?

You literally don't provide supporting data to anything.
Last edited by azcat34 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Explain.

No it really isn't.

Anyone in the KenPom Top 12 could get hot and win the title in March, for the love of god explain why Arizona's offense isn't good this year. Debating with you is likely debating with my wife, constant subject changing.
When did I say they weren't good? You are the one who said they were elite. There is a huge difference between being good and being elite.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I really like the strong majority of people on this site and formely GOAZCATS, but you infinetly stupid.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reydituto wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
El cerco de Numancia. MdC's influence can still be seen in the modern fantasy of Iñárritu, Cuaron and Willy del Toro.

I would read Don Quixote de la Mancha for the 4th time, but this thread exists, so there's no need to.

Next week I'm on to the Novelas Ejemplares.
I've got to get into your groove, that's all I'm saying.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

[quote}12th best offense out of 351 isn't elite to you?

Please explain how the offense isn't elite, I would love to hear your wisdom. You've really just said nothing to this point.[/quote]
No it really isn't.

Is Northern Iowa a very good team this year? No doubt. Are they elite. Nope.[/quote]

Anyone in the KenPom Top 12 could get hot and win the title in March, for the love of god explain why Arizona's offense isn't good this year. Debating with you is likely debating with my wife, constant subject changing.[/quote]

When did I say they weren't good? You are the one who said they were elite. There is a huge difference between being good and being elite.[/quote]

So when you said this, you were saying Miller's offense was good?