Our last 5 regular season games...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

jajoyce

Our last 5 regular season games...

Post by jajoyce »

Are all national broadcasts (4 ESPN, 1 CBS).Has this ever happened before for 5 straight games that are not NCAA tourney games, which even in the old days were regional broadcasts on CBS. I do hope everyone will enjoy some more Bill Walton though :lol: Game times are MST.

Sat, Feb 21 UCLA Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN
Thu, Feb 26 Colorado at Boulder, CO 7:00 p.m. ESPN
Sat, Feb 28 Utah at Salt Lake City, UT 7:00 p.m. ESPN
Thu, Mar 05 California Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN
Sat, Mar 07 Stanford Tucson, AZ 2:00 p.m. CBS
Longhorned

Re: Our last 5 regular season games...

Post by Longhorned »

It's a good way to prepare for being televised in the tourney.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sat, Feb 21 UCLA Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN W
Thu, Feb 26 Colorado at Boulder, CO 7:00 p.m. ESPN W
Sat, Feb 28 Utah at Salt Lake City, UT 7:00 p.m. ESPN L
Thu, Mar 05 California Tucson, AZ 7:00 p.m. ESPN W
Sat, Mar 07 Stanford Tucson, AZ 2:00 p.m. CBS W
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You've been so spot on with your predictions, why not make more of 'em?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:You've been so spot on with your predictions, why not make more of 'em?
Well, here were my predictions to begin the season:

1. Ashley and TJ will be All-Pac (not looking good)
2. We're going to see at least three different starting lineups before Pac play begins (think we only saw 2)
3. Miller will get his first FF (we'll see)
4. Another Pac 12 title (we need to beat Utah or have them lose to someone else)
5. We're going to lose at least one OOC game (correct)
6. Undefeated at home (correct)
7. Stanley Johnson will be very, very good, but he won't make quite the impact that AG did (correct)
8. Pitts will get more PT than York (York has more minutes, but Pitts is gaining)
9. PJC will remind people of Nic Wise (I see a resemblance, not sure others do)
10. Kadeem Allen will be a key 6th or 7th man (um, no)
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

So much stupid in all of that.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What resemblance to you see between PJC and Nic Wise?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:So much stupid in all of that.
What a constructive, civil response.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

7. Stanley Johnson will be very, very good, but he won't make quite the impact that AG did (correct)

This is very much TBD. Stanley is capable of making a game winning shot.... AG was never able to.

8. Pitts will get more PT than York (York has more minutes, but Pitts is gaining)

No.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:What resemblance to you see between PJC and Nic Wise?
It's really more between PJC and Nic after the weight loss. Similar tendencies offensively. Quick first step. Nice stroke from three. Not afraid to take it to the rim despite being undersized.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:7. Stanley Johnson will be very, very good, but he won't make quite the impact that AG did (correct)

This is very much TBD. Stanley is capable of making a game winning shot.... AG was never able to.

No.
Stanley would have to get on some kind of streak the next few weeks to come close to AG.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Stanley would have to get on some kind of streak the next few weeks to come close to AG.
this is preposterous

Stanley Johnson might be the best player in America
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Like I said, so much stupid in all of that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
this is preposterous

Yeah, I don't get it BC. Stanley does all the things that AG does and a few that he doesn't. The only thing that AG had over Stanimal was his motor.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
It's really more between PJC and Nic after the weight loss. Similar tendencies offensively. Quick first step. Nice stroke from three. Not afraid to take it to the rim despite being undersized.
I would've never made this connection. Two very different players.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I would've never made this connection. Two very different players.
Despite his height, PJC has elite length and uses it. He's better driving to his left, and his slick spin moves get him space to finish in traffic. PJC is a significantly better rebounder and his length is an advantage on defense. Nic's outside shot was really good his sophomore and junior year, but PJC has a smoother stroke and I won't be surprised if he's better. Nic was a good passer, but PJC's passing and vision are on a different level. Different body types, different approaches to the game. I have a hard time making a comparison meaningful.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I see more potential with PJC than with Wise. I don't think Miller would have even offered Nic Wise, and Lute probably wishes he didn't offer him as a freshman.
Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
this is preposterous

Yeah, I don't get it BC. Stanley does all the things that AG does and a few that he doesn't. The only thing that AG had over Stanimal was his motor.

Defense too, besides attitude. AG was also a better finisher close to the basket.

Which doesn't mean Johnson isn't the best player in the land, he most certainly well can be when he wants too.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Gordon was a better individual/team defender, dunker, and glue guy.

Johnson is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better all-around offensive player, shooter, scorer (specifically finishing from from 10ft in) & passer and is almost as good a rebounder.

in terms of body each player is superior in different aspects making that somewhat of a wash -- Johnson's overall strength and body control is his advantage while Gordon is better laterally and obviously more athletic.

they are more similar in their own specific ways in terms of impact and neither is anywhere near far better than the other -- that will be validated and reflected in where Johnson is drafted, as it will be similar to Gordon.

where Johnson may yet separate himself is in March at the end of games where he is far better at creating opportunities not only for himself but also his teamates.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Gordon was a better individual/team defender, dunker, and glue guy.

Johnson is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better all-around offensive player, shooter, scorer (specifically finishing from from 10ft in) & passer and is almost as good a rebounder.

in terms of body each player is superior in different aspects making that somewhat of a wash -- Johnson's overall strength and body control is his advantage while Gordon is better laterally and obviously more athletic.

they are more similar in their own specific ways in terms of impact and neither is anywhere near far better than the other -- that will be validated and reflected in where Johnson is drafted, as it will be similar to Gordon.

where Johnson may yet separate himself is in March at the end of games where he is far better at creating opportunities not only for himself but also his teamates.
There was a special chemistry and vibe on last year's team, and I think a lot of it had to do with AG. So while I can't argue with SJ's overall superiority as a player, I originally said that SJ's impact on the team would not equal AG's. I think some are already forgetting the impact that AG had on defense and on our team's chemistry. Sometimes the superior player is not the more valuable player. Sort of like how SJ is better than TJ, but does anyone think SJ is more valuable to this year's team?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:Gordon was a better individual/team defender, dunker, and glue guy.

This difference between Gordon and Johnson bears itself out on a teamwide level too. With Gordon, we were an elite team on D and the glass. With Johnson, we're just very good in those areas (with a concerning tendency to give up stuff on the offensive glass).

With Gordon, we suffered from a lineup with at least one (2 with Rondae) nonshooters on the floor. Stanley commands attention when he has the ball and makes it easier for everyone else where Aaron, as much as I loved to watch him play, made it harder b/c his man could sag nonstop. We don't have nearly as many stretches of ugly offense. We had a skid in Pac play last year where in 8 games, we shot under 40% three times and over 50% zero times. Not to mention an inability to score 55 points in the Elite 8...

We traded being a lockdown defensive team with offensive issues to a very good defensive team and a very good offensive team. There are no guarantees in March, but I think we're a more dangerous team without the offense limitations of last year, and the character change from Aaron to Stanley (and it pains me to say it b/c Aaron was awesome) is representative of that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This difference between Gordon and Johnson bears itself out on a teamwide level too. With Gordon, we were an elite team on D and the glass. With Johnson, we're just very good in those areas (with a concerning tendency to give up stuff on the offensive glass).

With Gordon, we suffered from a lineup with at least one (2 with Rondae) nonshooters on the floor. Stanley commands attention when he has the ball and makes it easier for everyone else where Aaron, as much as I loved to watch him play, made it harder b/c his man could sag nonstop. We don't have nearly as many stretches of ugly offense. We had a skid in Pac play last year where in 8 games, we shot under 40% three times and over 50% zero times. Not to mention an inability to score 55 points in the Elite 8...

We traded being a lockdown defensive team with offensive issues to a very good defensive team and a very good offensive team. There are no guarantees in March, but I think we're a more dangerous team without the offense limitations of last year, and the character change from Aaron to Stanley (and it pains me to say it b/c Aaron was awesome) is representative of that.
I hope you're right, SS!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
What a constructive, civil response.
Do think a comment about "the amount of sand in your vajayjay" would have been more constructive and civil? I wish I had a $ for every time I read a post of yours with that or similar sophomoric nonsense.

As others have pointed out, you graded yourself WAY too liberally. Your takes on Stanimal, PJC, and Pitts vs York were not close to correct. And you neglected to factor in your more recent calls, which included a loss at Hec Ed.

You are nothing if not predictable. Visions of invincibility and euphoria in anticipation of the season, followed by defeatism and dejection at every speed bump signaling any semblance of adversity. You'd be a real stabilizing force in a foxhole...
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Miller is attempting to light a fire under SJ and I like it. I'm glad coach has the balls to pull arguable his best player anytime.

I am hoping Ashley has turned the corner. He has been pretty consistent as of late and I haven't been screaming at him for his terrible defense.

TJ is a beast.

I can only hope these last five games we finish strong heading into the post season. I don't believe we have peaked and this teams ceiling is much higher than last years post-ashley injury.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Beachcat's game has been really lacking as of late.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:I see more potential with PJC than with Wise. I don't think Miller would have even offered Nic Wise, and Lute probably wishes he didn't offer him as a freshman.
Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
this is preposterous

Defense too, besides attitude. AG was also a better finisher close to the basket.

Which doesn't mean Johnson isn't the best player in the land, he most certainly well can be when he wants too.
Gordon was NOT a better finisher around the basket. Have we all forgotten the bunny woes last year? Gordon was an elite leaper and rebounder so he cleaned up a lot of his own misses but there were many occasions when he had to rebound two or more of his own missed layups in a row.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

In Miller's system:

AG>SJ

That doesn't necessarily mean AG is a better basketball player than Johnson.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's pretty simple, really. If this team gets to the FF, SJ will be remembered as the better player.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RockyRaccoon wrote:In Miller's system:

AG>SJ

Apples are better than oranges. Or maybe the other way around.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:In Miller's system:

AG>SJ

Apples are better than oranges. Or maybe the other way around.
True, they shouldn't be directly compared. That being said, if I were forced to choose one it would be AG because as I said earlier he just fits Miller's system better.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

On that concerning tendency to give up stuff on offensive glass, we lead the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. Believe that means that no team does a better job of limiting offensive rebounds than Arizona.

On another note, Arizona is one of only four teams to be top 15 in Adjusted Offense and defensive efficiency. Good balance. Good rebounding. Good turnover margin. More steals than usual.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Gotta hit the three ball to make it to the Final Four. The three ball neutralizes the officiating to a certain degree. Gotta hit from the outside to open up that inside game which we are best at with Stan Rondae Bash and TJ. Me personally, this is what I believe and Miller has tried to set the table all season with Pitts and York to make this happen. jmo.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

On that concerning tendency to give up stuff on offensive glass, we lead the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. Believe that means that no team does a better job of limiting offensive rebounds than Arizona.

On another note, Arizona is one of only four teams to be top 15 in Adjusted Offense and defensive efficiency. Good balance. Good rebounding. Good turnover margin. More steals than usual.
I mean in the close ones. When we win on the glass, we win. The games we've tied or lost on the glass are UTEP, UNLV, Gonzaga, OSU and ASU. The only outlier was losing on the glass to Missouri but still winning convincingly.

Otherwise, there's basically a 1-1 ratio between rebounding and success. You're right, on the whole, we do well on the glass. My concern is that it's usually the first advantage that falls away when we lose.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Beachcat97 wrote:

There was a special chemistry and vibe on last year's team, and I think a lot of it had to do with AG. So while I can't argue with SJ's overall superiority as a player, I originally said that SJ's impact on the team would not equal AG's. I think some are already forgetting the impact that AG had on defense and on our team's chemistry. Sometimes the superior player is not the more valuable player. Sort of like how SJ is better than TJ, but does anyone think SJ is more valuable to this year's team?
I love last years team alot I really do but we talk about them like the won a championship. If this years team breaks through elite 8 into the Final 4 or Championship game then people will not give two shits about the "Special Chemistry" of last years team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lmao at the Pjc/nic wise comparison. Literally woke my wife up in bed
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

AG and SJ are two completely different players, so I don't really think you can compare.

That being said, how much do we miss having someone who can completely lock down an athletic 4? In all 3 of our losses, that was one of the main issues.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UAGreg wrote:AG and SJ are two completely different players, so I don't really think you can compare.

That being said, how much do we miss having someone who can completely lock down an athletic 4? In all 3 of our losses, that was one of the main issues.
If the NBA passed that 2 year rule we wouldn't be talking about those 3 losses. The College game would be amazing if they were forced to pay 2-3 years! Its a pipe dream I know.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAGreg wrote:AG and SJ are two completely different players, so I don't really think you can compare.

Tremendously. But last year we also missed having some way to get to 60 points in freaking 45 minutes against Wisconsin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:

Tremendously. But last year we also missed having some way to get to 60 points in freaking 45 minutes against Wisconsin.
Pretty much this. Ashley used to be able to guard Carrick Felix. He should be able to stop a stretch 4. If not, play SJ and RHJ at forwards, and if they can't pull it off, maybe we're destined to lose. At least we're less likely to have to suffer through impotent stretches where it doesn't matter how good at D we are because we can't put the f***ing ball in the basket.

It wasn't just Wisconsin. Offense almost took us out in the Sweet 16 vs SDSU too. 28 points in the first half. Ugh.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

People should stop comparing teams of yesteryear with the current team.

Goes for players as well.

You know who Stanley Johson reminds me of? Stanley Johnson. Oh and Aaron Gordon? He reminds me of that guy, Aaron Gordon.

Two totally different players, and this team was totally different at this time last year...much like every single basketball team out there.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So are we better suited to defeat Wisconsin this year? Because you know the selection committee loves a rematch.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:So are we better suited to defeat Wisconsin this year? Because you know the selection committee loves a rematch.
In general, if you can score 60 points regularly, your tournament fortunes are always better. Last year, we lacked any margin of error. This year, we have some. Except against Kentucky, where we would need a lot of luck.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:So are we better suited to defeat Wisconsin this year? Because you know the selection committee loves a rematch.
Not a factor. Pretty good article here on the process,.

http://ericcrawford.tumblr.com/post/179 ... he-madness

A rematch could happen, but they don't intentionally seek them out. Can't think of any next-year rematches for Arizona. We had that epic game against Gonzaga in 2003. Didn't play them again until last year.

What are some examples for other teams?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Gordon was NOT a better finisher around the basket.
Saw a stat a week or so ago stating that SJ only completes 50% of this shots at the basket. Never saw any like stats for Gordon, but I imagine it had to be better than 50%.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

gumby wrote:A rematch could happen, but they don't intentionally seek them out. Can't think of any next-year rematches for Arizona. We had that epic game against Gonzaga in 2003. Didn't play them again until last year.
Don't forget the Pennell win in 2008 at U.S. Airways.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:
gumby wrote:A rematch could happen, but they don't intentionally seek them out. Can't think of any next-year rematches for Arizona. We had that epic game against Gonzaga in 2003. Didn't play them again until last year.
Don't forget the Pennell win in 2008 at U.S. Airways.
The committee didn't arrange that.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:

A rematch could happen, but they don't intentionally seek them out. Can't think of any next-year rematches for Arizona. We had that epic game against Gonzaga in 2003. Didn't play them again until last year.

Rematches happen, but it's more bracketing luck than scheduling.

UA played Kansas in B2B years (1996, 1997), and also played them in 2003.

UA has played Oklahoma three times in March Madness, and lost all of them ('88, '99, '02). UA's also lost to Seton Hall twice (1991, 2004), and Wisconsin twice (2000, 2014), but beat the Badgers in 2006. UA split with Illinois in Elite Eight games as well.

Off the top of my head,UCLA and Florida had B2B Final Four matchups in 2006 & 2007. Kentucky & Utah have played a number of times in the NCAAs. So have Duke-UConn, Duke-Kansas and Duke-Kentucky. Many of those were deeper in the tournament, so hard to allege they were intentionally set up.

I think teams are often bracketed for possible rematches in later rounds, many of which fall through, but some do come to fruition. So while I would agree that they don't intentionally schedule rematches, I do think at some point in the seeding & bracketing process the potential for a rematch in later rounds enters the equation.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Reydituto wrote:
gumby wrote:

UA has played Oklahoma three times in March Madness, and lost all of them ('88, '99, '02). UA's also lost to Seton Hall twice (1991, 2004), and Wisconsin twice (2000, 2014), but beat the Badgers in 2006. UA split with Illinois in Elite Eight games as well.

Off the top of my head,UCLA and Florida had B2B Final Four matchups in 2006 & 2007. Kentucky & Utah have played a number of times in the NCAAs. So have Duke-UConn, Duke-Kansas and Duke-Kentucky. Many of those were deeper in the tournament, so hard to allege they were intentionally set up.

I think teams are often bracketed for possible rematches in later rounds, many of which fall through, but some do come to fruition. So while I would agree that they don't intentionally schedule rematches, I do think at some point in the seeding & bracketing process the potential for a rematch in later rounds enters the equation.
I agree that it's more about the late round rematches. For instance, our rematch vs SDSU last year. Almost every year, you'll see teams seeded in the top four with a chance to face off again. I wouldn't be stunned if that meant we see Gonzaga in our bracket this year.

The opportunity presents itself often enough that it doesn't mean it is engineered, just that the committee frequently lets it happen. Frankly, there's no reason not to so long as it is in keeping with seeds.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Reydituto wrote:
gumby wrote:

Good stuff. Thanks.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Reydituto wrote:
gumby wrote:

Early warning: Cats will face and get beat by Oklahoma in the tourney in 2017. Mark it down.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:People should stop comparing teams of yesteryear with the current team.

Goes for players as well.

You know who Stanley Johson reminds me of? Stanley Johnson. Oh and Aaron Gordon? He reminds me of that guy, Aaron Gordon.

Two totally different players, and this team was totally different at this time last year...much like every single basketball team out there.
:roll:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy