Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Post by Merkin »

gumby

Post by gumby »

But is it good? (Cue dramatic organ music).
Right where I want to be.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Merkin wrote:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Hahaha

It's okay, no need to apologize.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bosy Billups wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Hahaha

You on the other hand would probably still do well to apologize. First, for being wrong. Second, for being wrong at the expense of Stanley Johnson. And third, for suggesting that you were right about it when you had zero insight into the nature of chemistry issue that Rondae refers to.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy lives in a TMZ world. The games are trivial.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Longhorned wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Hahaha

You on the other hand would probably still do well to apologize. First, for being wrong. Second, for being wrong at the expense of Stanley Johnson. And third, for suggesting that you were right about it when you had zero insight into the nature of chemistry issue that Rondae refers to.
First: I was right
Second: Not at Stanley's expense, at the time, he was the superstar freshman who was learning his role on a loaded team
Third: The insight was obvious to an objective and brilliant mind. However, the entire team had to find their chemistry too.

Harvey Levin
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, then I accept that you've disavowed your singling out of Stanley Johnson as the source of chemistry problems, and I also want credit for thinking that Stanley Johnson was going to need to adjust from high school to college basketball and a new system. I'm just kicking myself for not starting a pre-season thread claiming that Dusan Ristic was going to get a haircut and then bumping it later to show you all that I was right.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Longhorned wrote:Okay, then I accept that you've disavowed your singling out of Stanley Johnson as the source of chemistry problems, and I also want credit for thinking that Stanley Johnson was going to need to adjust from high school to college basketball and a new system. I'm just kicking myself for not starting a pre-season thread claiming that Dusan Ristic was going to get a haircut and then bumping it later to show you all that I was right.
Well as long as you learn from your mistake, you get a pass. PS - he went to campus clippers and asked for a number 3 on his sides, per sources.

That said, I heart Stanley, he's become a man (before he was just a man-child)
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Now I'm worried about the team physics.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:Now I'm worried about the team physics.
:lol:
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Olsondogg wrote:Now I'm worried about the team physics.
Definitely agree OD.

Also feel we have a problem with slow finishes.

These subjects deserve their own threads.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/f ... ?id=201408
Fed up with his team’s defensive effort – and the potential reason behind it – UA coach Sean Miller laced his press conference today with some strong words.

He said the Wildcats' inconsistent defensive efforts points to being “selfish” – as NBA rumblings may be a factor in the back of their heads -- and noted that the “tremendous challenge” of keeping this particular group can “suck the life out of you.”

Here was the full context of those remarks:

“We say it here a lot -- if you’re a totally committed team on the defensive end, it’s really hard to say your team is selfish and if you have a team that picks and chooses how hard we play on defense then I think everybody would have the right to call our team selfish,” Miller said. “Because what happens is you’re more worried about what you’re doing. You’re more worried about how the game’s going for you.

“You’re disappointed that you didn’t get a shot in the last few minutes and your mindset and effort level isn’t on the play at hand -- it’s on what just happened. You start to think about that the stats that you’re gonna get on offense aren’t going to be good enough to be an NBA player and you start to think about the NBA and then you get a phone call after the game or a text message saying you’re not doing enough on offense and the whole thing goes to…”

Miller didn’t finish that sentence but you can imagine how he might have.

Miller said similar things two years ago when the Wildcats lost their edge, in part to a bit of individualism, but said this team is probably ahead of that one.

“Two years ago we had an excellent season,” he said. “One of the parts of that season was we had pockets of the Pac-12 where we unraveled defensively and it didn’t cost us a great season but it probably cost us a conference championship or maybe that next level. Instead of being right at the cusp of a number of great things we weren’t quite able to break through because our defense never really became excellent. Last year you saw what it felt like to be the best, or among the best.

“Where we’re at this year, we’re kind of in between. In many ways we’ve advanced beyond perhaps where we would have been two years ago but we’re nowhere near where we were last year.”

Miller was asked how he can guard against a team becoming selfish.

Short answer: It’s really tough.

Longer answer:

“I think with the great teams in college basketball (you) realize with team success, a lot of great individual accolades follow,” Miller said. “With a lack of team success very few follow. Not everybody believes that but it’s ongoing. It’s about working at it every single day in today’s climate of college sports, especially in basketball, because guys can leave in a year or a semester, two years. It’s about really working at that team unity and togetherness every day. It’s not easy.

“It’s difficult and I would say this team in particular is a tremendous challenge to make sure that we’re united and about Arizona and about team and about defense every day. It can suck the life out of you.”

With all that in mind, what’s the latest NBA projections for the Wildcats? Here’s the latest 2015 mock draft from Draft Express: Stanley Johnson is at No. 8, and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at 18. Brandon Ashley has fallen out of both rounds while Kaleb Tarczewski is hanging in at 59. No Wildcat is listed in their 2016 mock draft.

NBADraft.net has Johnson at No. 3 and Hollis-Jefferson at No. 30, with Ashley (41) and Tarczewski (44) in the second round.

FWIW, I talked to an NBA scout in Oregon who said he wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson go as high as No. 1. ...
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

???????????????????
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Couldn't help but notice Johnson almost entirely removed from the rest of the team in this video. Even Mellon and Korcheck were better positioned.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Wow I was actually joking by bumping this thread but some people are still serious about this! Laughable! Dude was cheering on his teammates when he was benched, was leading the team celebration in the locker room and tweeted that it doesn't matter if he went 1/50 as long as the team wins!
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

lol
Stanimal for a freshman did great tonight.
6'7" 245. He's a load and a big piece of the overall success. Hated that he let that dude get to his spot and hit the 3. But all worked out in the end thankfully.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

CBCat wrote:lol
6'7" 245. He's a load and a big piece of the overall success. Hated that he let that dude get to his spot and hit the 3. But all worked out in the end thankfully.
3goggles wrote:Wow I was actually joking by bumping this thread but some people are still serious about this! Laughable! Dude was cheering on his teammates when he was benched, was leading the team celebration in the locker room and tweeted that it doesn't matter if he went 1/50 as long as the team wins!
I agree, just thought the video was interesting.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I feel like this thread is TMZ material.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

FightWildcatsFight wrote: Couldn't help but notice Johnson almost entirely removed from the rest of the team in this video. Even Mellon and Korcheck were better positioned.
you and I have drastically different interpretations of that video.

Looks to me like he's involved, yelling, jumping, part o the team.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote: Couldn't help but notice Johnson almost entirely removed from the rest of the team in this video. Even Mellon and Korcheck were better positioned.

Obviously Drew Mellon is our most important player judging by his positioning in that spontaneous group celebration.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
CBCat wrote:lol
3goggles wrote:Wow I was actually joking by bumping this thread but some people are still serious about this! Laughable! Dude was cheering on his teammates when he was benched, was leading the team celebration in the locker room and tweeted that it doesn't matter if he went 1/50 as long as the team wins!
I agree, just thought the video was interesting.
Machina?
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I thought the most telling was Stanimal and TJ having a very good discussion during one of the breaks after Stanley was pulled for not playing defense end of game. Very cool on SJ's part instead of pouting on the bench.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You don't win as many high school championships as he did by being a terrible teammate.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Some of the national press had a different take on Johnson:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... ch-madness

What will happen with Arizona's seeding now that Sean Miller's seventh-ranked squad has secured a sweep of Utah and won a share of the Pac-12 title? The Wildcats pulled off the feat because in the final minutes of their 63-57 win over the Utes, Miller put the team above one player.

Stanley Johnson (3-for-19, zero assists) had been all about Stanley Johnson most of the night. He'd forced shots and committed a silly offensive foul. And in the closing stretch of a title fight, he'd failed to close out when Brandon Taylor hit a 3-pointer that gave Utah a 57-55 lead with 1:57 to go.

Miller berated Johnson and then he benched him. And instead of cheering for his teammates and pumping his fists for the guys on the floor, Johnson acted like a freshman and pouted. At least that's what the cameras caught. And perception is based on what the cameras catch.

Miller made the right move. Johnson might be the best player in the Pac-12 and an All-American, but he lost his chance to help the Wildcats when he missed a crucial defensive assignment.

Miller won without him late, and he also delivered a message to a gifted young man who owed his teammates a greater effort in the final minutes:
gumby

Post by gumby »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Could've been more aggressive, boxed out for better position. He's hit the dreaded freshman celebration wall.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I did not see him pouting. He seemed totally into the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Notice how Tarc is almost entirely removed from this? Interesting.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Chicat wrote:I did not see him pouting. He seemed totally into the game.
Medcalf is an idiot. Stanley was completely into the game and cheering the team on.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pokinmik wrote:
Medcalf is an idiot. Stanley was completely into the game and cheering the team on.
Didn't even realize it was Medcalf. Supreme shit stirrer.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Agree. Cheering big plays, celebrating. Said on Twitter he is happy. I love how one guy can write something and it becomes "national media.", which is plural.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

gumby wrote:
ghostwhitehorse wrote:
Notice how Tarc is almost entirely removed from this? Interesting.
That's funny shit gumby.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Still like Stanley's aggressive offensive game, we need that type of go to guy. It's ok to have that guy, makes for a better team in a lot of situations. But if everyone plays like that simultaneously, then offense goes to crap.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Hi, not to say "I was right, you were wrong, I knew it" but as an FYI

22:00 - TJ McConnell discusses chemistry issues

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/

Sincerely,

Vindication :)

It's all good though, love Stan and the team.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bosy Billups wrote:Hi, not to say "I was right, you were wrong, I knew it" but as an FYI

Sincerely,

Not a very useful link there.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

He's such a drama queen
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Not a very useful link there.
I did enjoy reading about the baseball team's win over NMSU...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The chemistry is as good, or better, than at any point last year.

Not my words.

And not Walter White's.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Bosy Billups wrote:Hi, not to say "I was right, you were wrong, I knew it" but as an FYI

Sincerely,

You weren't vindicated. At all.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

How's SJ's chemistry with family members though?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hogging the ball as usual:
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Merk, what's your avatar this time? Looks funny as hell...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Puerco wrote:Merk, what's your avatar this time? Looks funny as hell...
No idea, outside of that will be me in 20 years.

And Stanley Johnson, hanging around with the scrubs? What a jerk!

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I don't doubt he loves this college life. He seems like a well rounded kid. Too bad the expectations are to go early these days, instead of developing in college. He is forced by opportunity and need to become an adult, with the hopes of a family on his back. More pressure than most of us will ever feel...not day to day economic pressure, but the pressure of changing allegiances from friends and family, and a loss of trust seeing people you have known forever becoming users and schemers, of the people you depend on for guidance depending on you for economic security. His world is about to be flipped upside down...lots of awesome, a lot of suck.

He really seems like he loves this...but he probably can't keep peace in his world and stay. It is too bad, because this is it for being young. Good luck, Stanley Johnson. Do what you gotta do