Wildcats average jump shooting could spell doom in March

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RockyRaccoon

Re: Wildcats average jump shooting could spell doom in March

Post by RockyRaccoon »

That was a classic Sean Miller performance tonight. Going into a tough environment and playing gritty and winning with tough defense and timely offense. It was a really great team win and that is what you will always get from a Miller team. That being said, I stand by everything I said in this thread.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So you stand by everything you said that is completely wrong
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

ASUHATER! wrote:So you stand by everything you said that is completely wrong
You don't think they are an average jump shooting team? Actually what I should ask is, against good competition, you don't think they are a pretty bad shooting team?

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not according to facts
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

ASUHATER! wrote:Not according to facts
Check the shot charts against good competition (SDSU, Gonzaga, @UNLV?, vs Stanford, vs Oregon, vs Utah, @Oregon, UCLA, @Utah) and exclusively zone teams (@/vs Oregon State). The majority of their two point made "jumpers" are inside the key, close to the hoop.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... a-wildcats

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

So you don't consider being able to take closer, higher percentage shots to be a sign of a good team? It's better if you shoot from farther away?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:That was a classic Sean Miller performance tonight. Going into a tough environment and playing gritty and winning with tough defense and timely offense. It was a really great team win and that is what you will always get from a Miller team. That being said, I stand by everything I said in this thread.
I bet your "elite" coach Gregg Marshall would have taken a gritty win at Utah instead of the gritty loss he took back in non-conference.

Your continued ignorance toward data is comical.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Eye test. Wichita missed shots from farther away.
Right where I want to be.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat34 wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:That was a classic Sean Miller performance tonight. Going into a tough environment and playing gritty and winning with tough defense and timely offense. It was a really great team win and that is what you will always get from a Miller team. That being said, I stand by everything I said in this thread.
I bet your "elite" coach Gregg Marshall would have taken a gritty win at Utah instead of the gritty loss he took back in non-conference.

Your continued ignorance toward data is comical.
I believe I have ranked Miller higher than Marshall. Both are very good coaches.

Also Pomeroy is a little bit of bullshit. He still has Gonzaga as the 7th best team and the 5th best offense and the 17 best defense and they are the same team they are every year lol. Look I'm not Charles Barkley, I believe in analytics for the most part but they don''t always tell the whole story.
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

waysouthcat wrote:So you don't consider being able to take closer, higher percentage shots to be a sign of a good team? It's better if you shoot from farther away?
Of course it is better if you shoot closer, high percentage shoots and make them but that just isn't a reality against the elite competition the team will face in the late rounds of the tournament.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

This seems timely:

Why you should stop worrying about offense and appreciate Arizona (John Gasaway ESPN)

I'm not sure why Arizona has been languishing, relatively speaking, at No. 7 in the polls, but I do know I don't buy it. Or more precisely, the Wildcats are far stronger than your average No. 7-ranked team in your average season.

Sean Miller's men have outscored the Pac-12 by 0.27 points per possession, the same margin by which Kentucky has outscored the SEC. Conversely, last season everyone seemed properly respectful of an Arizona team that was "just" (ha) 0.17 points better than the rest of the Pac-12 on each possession. That group of Wildcats was given a No. 1 seed and came within a single possession of the Final Four.

Miller justly enjoys a reputation for coaching exceptionally strong defensive teams, but one aspect of this particular Arizona team that likely hasn't been talked up enough is its ability to force turnovers. Pac-12 opponents have given the ball away on 21 percent of their possessions to the Wildcats. That's nowhere near the percentages posted by the likes of West Virginia (forcing turnovers on 26 percent of Big 12 opponents' possessions) or VCU (24 percent in A-10 play), but within the context of an Arizona defense that also protects the rim and is absolutely dominant on the glass, an opponent turnover rate of 21 percent is excellent.

True, on the other side of the ball I'm hearing it said that the worry with Arizona is whether this team can score enough. Well, not to be repetitious, but I'm not sure I buy that either. First and most fundamentally, you can't outscore a major conference by a huge, borderline historic margin like 0.27 points per trip without both your defense and your offense being excellent.

Second and more specifically, this may be the best 2-point shooting team I've ever seen that has somehow caused people to fret about its scoring. The Wildcats have connected on 51.9 percent of their 2s in Pac-12 play. To draw another comparison to the No. 1-ranked team in the country, that's pretty much what we've seen from Kentucky in SEC play (51.4).

No, Miller's guys don't light up the scoreboard from the perimeter, but T.J. McConnell andGabe York are legitimate 3-point threats who have combined to shoot 39 percent from beyond the arc in conference play. It turns out that Arizona's low team percentage against Pac-12 opponents (33 percent) is in large part the statistical residue of Stanley Johnson trying to display a needed skill to the next level. That team percentage does not, however, indicate that Miller lacks the personnel to make 3s.

Besides, this is an outstanding offensive rebounding team, one that's pulled down 37 percent of its misses in league play. Guys like Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson andKaleb Tarczewski don't have eye-popping individual offensive rebounding percentages -- but that's because they have to compete with one another for every rebound. Cumulatively speaking, this is a team that has shown it can erase its own misses in a highly effective manner.

Winning the second game of a two-game road swing at high altitude against an opponent as strong as Utah (which was previously undefeated at home) is arguably one of the most impressive victories recorded by any team in the nation this season. I realize there are more national championship-caliber teams than there are available No. 1 seeds this season, and you can worry about this Arizona offense if you wish. But everything I'm seeing tells me this group of Wildcats may be even better than the top-seeded team that came out of Tucson last season.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Pac-12 is horrible dude. They have a high 2 point shooting percentage because they are scoring with layups, dunks, and short "jumpers usually inside the key close to the rim. I'm not making this stuff up, look at their shot charts from CBS Sports. No doubt York and McConnell are solid three point shooters but neither are great and how often do teams win a national title with a few good shooters?

Let me say this, if the Wildcats shoot well in March, they will almost certainly make the Final Four. They are so good on defense and have such good size that they are probably only second to Kentucky if they can knock down open 15 to 20 footers consistently.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Pac-12 is horrible dude. They have a high 2 point shooting percentage because they are scoring with layups, dunks, and short "jumpers usually inside the key close to the rim. I'm not making this stuff up, look at their shot charts from CBS Sports. No doubt York and McConnell are solid three point shooters but neither are great and how often do teams win a national title with a few good shooters?

Let me say this, if the Wildcats shoot well in March, they will almost certainly make the Final Four. They are so good on defense and have such good size that they are probably only second to Kentucky if they can knock down open 15 to 20 footers consistently.
This is where you win the argument. Discount the PAC-12 while allowing the SEC to legitimize Kentucky (cue "Where did I say anything about the SEC or Kentucky?").

This is golden:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Also Pomeroy is a little bit of bullshit. He still has Gonzaga as the 7th best team and the 5th best offense and the 17 best defense and they are the same team they are every year lol. Look I'm not Charles Barkley, I believe in analytics for the most part but they don''t always tell the whole story.
Quoted because it says everything we need to know about your understanding.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

He doesn't like analytifa because they dont align exactly with how he percieves things.

Classic.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

That can't shoot shit is everywhere

https://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.as ... 00&style=2

I'd love to be a 2 in their bracket.
cpt

Post by cpt »

The SEC sucks worse than the Pac-12.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
waysouthcat wrote:So you don't consider being able to take closer, higher percentage shots to be a sign of a good team? It's better if you shoot from farther away?
Of course it is better if you shoot closer, high percentage shoots and make them but that just isn't a reality against the elite competition the team will face in the late rounds of the tournament.
Show us where you mapped out the other teams in the top 10. Where do you think they prefer to take their jump shots from?
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Longhorned wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Pac-12 is horrible dude. They have a high 2 point shooting percentage because they are scoring with layups, dunks, and short "jumpers usually inside the key close to the rim. I'm not making this stuff up, look at their shot charts from CBS Sports. No doubt York and McConnell are solid three point shooters but neither are great and how often do teams win a national title with a few good shooters?

This is where you win the argument. Discount the PAC-12 while allowing the SEC to legitimize Kentucky (cue "Where did I say anything about the SEC or Kentucky?").

This is golden:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Also Pomeroy is a little bit of bullshit. He still has Gonzaga as the 7th best team and the 5th best offense and the 17 best defense and they are the same team they are every year lol. Look I'm not Charles Barkley, I believe in analytics for the most part but they don''t always tell the whole story.
Quoted because it says everything we need to know about your understanding.
The SEC isn't very good. They are 4th in conference RPI two spots above the Pac-12 which is the worst major conference in terms of RPI.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... _3:col_2=7

But Kentucky is just the best team in the country. I don't think anyone can argue against that. The players are so good they can still win with Cal who is an average Xs and Os coach. As I have said before, they are like Arizona but on steroids. That being said, Arizona could absolutely beat Kentucky in a single game elimination format because of how good Arizona's defense is. Great defense gives you a chance in every game you play.

I don't understand your critique of my views on Ken Pom.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:That can't shoot shit is everywhere

https://villanova.rivals.com/showmsg.as ... 00&style=2

I'd love to be a 2 in their bracket.
Arizona would beat on Nova if they play in the tourney. It would be a 10 to 15 point win no doubt.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
gumby

Post by gumby »

Was going to post that Gasaway article. Everyone should read it. (Headband posted above). You don't outscore opponents 0.27 per possession (same as Kentucky ) unless offense and defense are clicking. Last year it was 0.17 ... and that was a 1 seed team.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

gumby wrote:Was going to post that Gasaway article. Everyone should read it. (Headband posted above). You don't outscore opponents 0.27 per possession (same as Kentucky ) unless offense and defense are clicking. Last year it was 0.17 ... and that was a 1 seed team.
There is a difference between offense/defense clicking and being a good shooting team against good/great defense. The Wildcats have done an excellent job of blowing out bad teams this year. Last year's Pac-12 was a better conference.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Let me say this, if the Wildcats shoot well in March, they will almost certainly make the Final Four. They are so good on defense and have such good size that they are probably only second to Kentucky if they can knock down open 15 to 20 footers consistently.
Whoa, this is some really bold thinking. If a top 20 AdjO/top 3 AdjD team shoots well they'll go far in the tourney? Why haven't you replaced Jay Bilas yet???
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
eoe

Post by eoe »

In short, you have an excuse, founded and unfounded, for any possible point made or explanation given. There's no discussion to be had when you are simply preaching your agenda (a terribly wrong one at that) to anyone who bothers reading one of your posts.

The numbers, records, results, and experts go against nearly everything you throw out there. Keep chopping wood fella.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Let me say this, if the Wildcats shoot well in March, they will almost certainly make the Final Four. They are so good on defense and have such good size that they are probably only second to Kentucky if they can knock down open 15 to 20 footers consistently.
Whoa, this is some really bold thinking. If a top 20 AdjO/top 3 AdjD team shoots well they'll go far in the tourney? Why haven't you replaced Jay Bilas yet???
The naysayer setting up all the qualifiers ahead of time. The ultimate "I told you so" protection mechanism. A true message board classic.

You are driving traffic Rocky, so there's that. :twisted:
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
There are plenty of teams that rank high in AdjO/AdjD that could shoot well in the tournament and still fall short of the Final Four. Teams with limited size, athleticism, depth, experience, etc.

A great regular season doesn't always translate in March.
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

eoe wrote:In short, you have an excuse, founded and unfounded, for any possible point made or explanation given. There's no discussion to be had when you are simply preaching your agenda (a terribly wrong one at that) to anyone who bothers reading one of your posts.

The numbers, records, results, and experts go against nearly everything you throw out there. Keep chopping wood fella.
What would you say my agenda is?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
There are plenty of teams that rank high in AdjO/AdjD that could shoot well in the tournament and still fall short of the Final Four. Teams with limited size, athleticism, depth, experience, etc.
"Plenty" and "rank high" must be expert terminology us mere mortals aren't privy to.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
eoe

Post by eoe »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
eoe wrote:In short, you have an excuse, founded and unfounded, for any possible point made or explanation given. There's no discussion to be had when you are simply preaching your agenda (a terribly wrong one at that) to anyone who bothers reading one of your posts.

That of someone who is emotionally and mentally invested in the idea that Miller's system is imperfect to an unacceptable level and will e-fight anyone who dare expose that notion with facts and numbers.

Maybe you have money on Miller never winning a F4 or something, I can't say. It is clear you cling tightly to the idea that there are many flaws that need to be addressed and you are seeking vindication day in, day out. Good luck.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

eoe wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

That of someone who is emotionally and mentally invested in the idea that Miller's system is imperfect to an unacceptable level and will e-fight anyone who dare expose that notion with facts and numbers.

Maybe you have money on Miller never winning a F4 or something, I can't say. It is clear you cling tightly to the idea that there are many flaws that need to be addressed and you are seeking vindication day in, day out. Good luck.
lol

You guys just suck. Miller's system is imperfect to an unacceptable level according to me? WHAAAAA? When did I say anything like that? I wish he would do some things differently. Anytime I have had criticisms of Miller it was like I had wished a death threat on the guy.

Sports fans are so god damn funny.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
eoe

Post by eoe »

I wish Miller did some things differently as well.

If you take issue with people shitting on your terrible takes, make your posts clearer and your points more understandable if you feel you're being misrepresented. From what I've seen, you're just a salty ass hater.
Last edited by eoe on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Sports fans are so god damn funny.
Negative attention whores are even funnier.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

eoe wrote:I wish Miller did some things differently as well.

If you take issue with people shitting on your terrible takes, make your posts clearer and your points more understandable if you feel you're being misrepresented. From what I've seen, your just a salty ass hater.
I don't think I do a poor job making my points clear.

For example: I have suggested the Wildcats are average mid-range to long-range jump shooting team against good/great defenses. People countered by providing stats that claim that Arizona shoots a high two point jumper % which is true unless you study the shot charts that actually reveal the two point "jumpers" the Wildcats are so good at are near the rim. That is fine until you play elite teams in the tournament that can defend the post. How will the Wildcats fare once they are faced with the nation's best teams? How the hell should I know? All I said was their average jump shooting "COULD" spell doom in March.

What isn't clear about that?
Last edited by RockyRaccoon on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
lol

You're right. I'm so damn negative when I say Miller is an elite defensive coach and that he is one of the 10-15 best coaches in the country and top 5 under 50 or whatever that list is.

Anything that is not complementary of Arizona basketball is attacked. It is not like that is uncommon, every sports forum across the world is the same way.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
lol

You're right. I'm so damn negative when I say Miller is an elite defensive coach and that he is one of the 10-15 best coaches in the country and top 5 under 50 or whatever that list is.

Anything that is not complementary of Arizona basketball is attacked. It is not like that is uncommon, every sports forum across the world is the same way.
I was actually mostly laughing at your sig, mainly because you're trying too hard.

But you've successfully again made it about you and you've received the attention you so desperately need. Kudos.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Chicat wrote:
lol

I was actually mostly laughing at your sig, mainly because you're trying too hard.
Yeah, my sig is totally sincere.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

eoe wrote:I wish Miller did some things differently as well.

If you take issue with people shitting on your terrible takes, make your posts clearer and your points more understandable if you feel you're being misrepresented. From what I've seen, your just a salty ass hater.
Post of the year! :D :D :D :D
AZ2000

Post by AZ2000 »

This is such an odd take. What is wrong with being at elite in scoring on layups, dunks, and jumpers at the rim? Those are the best shots in basketball to take, if you can get them. This is particularly the case because you are much more likely to get fouled on such shots. It happens that Arizona's best offensive players are good at getting these shots or getting fouled (a combination that is relatively rare at a high level). Even at a team FT% of 70%, the value of getting 2 free three throws is enormous compared to any jump shot.

Meanwhile, the 15 to 20 footer (the long 2) is the worst shot in basketball, especially college basketball. The fewer you see shot, the better.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

The problem with this post is the premise: 'Team X's deficiency in Y could spell doom...'

This applies to every team in the nation. Literally.

Try this on for size and see if it works, 'Kentucky's poor three point shooting could spell doom in March.' Uh, yep. Hard to argue that. Unless you're going to assume Team X will win the tournament, then you have to assume that their deficiency may hurt them.

So, since the premise is so glaringly obvious... Why make the point in the first place?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:The problem with this post is the premise: 'Team X's deficiency in Y could spell doom...'

Try this on for size and see if it works, 'Kentucky's poor three point shooting could spell doom in March.' Uh, yep. Hard to argue that. Unless you're going to assume Team X will win the tournament, then you have to assume that their deficiency may hurt them.

So, since the premise is so glaringly obvious... Why make the point in the first place?
Sometimes we have scored fewer points than the opposition. If that trend recurs in March, we could have trouble in the tourney.

I like the stat tossed out earlier that we shoot worse against good teams. It's like they win games because they're harder to score against or something.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Puerco wrote:The problem with this post is the premise: 'Team X's deficiency in Y could spell doom...'

lol

This is an Arizona basketball forum though...

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

AZ2000 wrote:

This is such an odd take. What is wrong with being at elite in scoring on layups, dunks, and jumpers at the rim? Those are the best shots in basketball to take, if you can get them. This is particularly the case because you are much more likely to get fouled on such shots. It happens that Arizona's best offensive players are good at getting these shots or getting fouled (a combination that is relatively rare at a high level). Even at a team FT% of 70%, the value of getting 2 free three throws is enormous compared to any jump shot.

Meanwhile, the 15 to 20 footer (the long 2) is the worst shot in basketball, especially college basketball. The fewer you see shot, the better.
Not even going to explain again to someone who can't read.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

If they play like they did tonight in the tournament, they are a top 2 team and it isn't even close.

It is not just knocking down their open looks of course. So much of it is TJ and that is expected for a senior PG late in the season.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:If they play like they did tonight in the tournament, they are a top 2 team and it isn't even close.
In other news, if you stand under a running shower you will get wet.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:If they play like they did tonight in the tournament, they are a top 2 team and it isn't even close.
Citation needed.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
Chi you really are hitting your stride at the perfect time of year. This is going to be a fun March
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Didn't Stanimal hit a couple of 18 ft. pull up jumpers? Unpossible.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It is not just knocking down their open looks of course. So much of it is TJ and that is expected for a senior PG late in the season.
Way to couch your answer in a lynchpin, but TJ can only do so much.

He's not making the post spin move on the blocks, he's not pulling up and hitting consecutive mid-range Js from half to half, he's not throwing dunks down through slaps and hacks or off baseline isos.

It takes four other guys, minimum, to make those plays, and we don't know how many of them are going to be here next year. Appreciate them all, appreciate the system, because the dynamic all changes after April.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:Didn't Stanimal hit a couple of 18 ft. pull up jumpers? Unpossible.
Yes, but that's because he's tuned out MIller's bad coaching.
Last edited by gumby on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Citation needed.
Does a bear **** in the woods?: http://youtu.be/OtOckG5tNhc

The bear poop videos were more fun than the ones about whether the pope is Catholic.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Chicat wrote:
Fans of other teams would argue otherwise but ok.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR