Honest question regarding how you guys view Ken Pom

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RockyRaccoon

Honest question regarding how you guys view Ken Pom

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Ok first off let me say Ken Pom knows his stuff. He isn't pulling his data out of his ass here. I would say the majority of his statics and analysis makes very good sense.

All that being said, do you guys really view all of his information as the gospel? It feels like you guys do because anytime I try to suggest his data is flawed slightly here or there I'm just laughed off. Analytics are important to sports but that doesn't mean it always translates 100% to reality in every scenario.

I can understand why Wildcat fans are completely in agreement with everything Ken Pom evaluates because of how well the Wildcats grade in his system these past few years but I'm just curious if you guys really feel like his data is flawless.
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
dmjcat

Re: Honest question regarding how you guys view Ken Pom

Post by dmjcat »

RockyRaccoon wrote:Ok first off let me say Ken Pom knows his stuff. He isn't pulling his data out of his ass here. I would say the majority of his statics and analysis makes very good sense.

All that being said, do you guys really view all of his information as the gospel? It feels like you guys do because anytime I try to suggest his data is flawed slightly here or there I'm just laughed off. Analytics are important to sports but that doesn't mean it always translates 100% to reality in every scenario.

I can understand why Wildcat fans are completely in agreement with everything Ken Pom evaluates because of how well the Wildcats grade in his system these past few years but I'm just curious if you guys really feel like his data is flawless.
I don't believe any "system" based on mathematics and statistics is flawless........that said Sean Miller certainly believes in it:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... old-school

Arizona's 45-year old Sean Miller, a rising star who grew up in the laptop age, worships at the altar of Pomeroy with his dizzying array numbers, blogs and that app. Pomeroy has redefined the game for more than a decade, so much so that he is part of its fabric.

"I look at [KenPom] about 10 times a day," Miller said. "At night I look at it. I look at it about our own team. I look at it with teams we're going to play, teams that are in the tournament. It's actually a problem with my wife. She hates KenPom.

"You become addicted to it. The information is so real."
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

dmjcat wrote:
RockyRaccoon wrote:Ok first off let me say Ken Pom knows his stuff. He isn't pulling his data out of his ass here. I would say the majority of his statics and analysis makes very good sense.

I don't believe any "system" based on mathematics and statistics is flawless........that said Sean Miller certainly believes in it:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... old-school

Arizona's 45-year old Sean Miller, a rising star who grew up in the laptop age, worships at the altar of Pomeroy with his dizzying array numbers, blogs and that app. Pomeroy has redefined the game for more than a decade, so much so that he is part of its fabric.

"I look at [KenPom] about 10 times a day," Miller said. "At night I look at it. I look at it about our own team. I look at it with teams we're going to play, teams that are in the tournament. It's actually a problem with my wife. She hates KenPom.

"You become addicted to it. The information is so real."
People should believe in it but they should also examine it with a critical eye.

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The eye of a keyboard warrior? Or someone who actually knows something about basketball?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

UAEebs86 wrote:The eye of a keyboard warrior? Or someone who actually knows something about basketball?
A keyboard warrior makes it seem like I'm confrontational in my posts and thoughts on the Wildcats. I don't believe I have ever acted in that way.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Your post about Lute Olson was the most offensive thing ever posted on this site in a sports forum.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It'd the money ball formula for us fans and coaches. Those metrics are telling, especially about the offense and defensive efficiencies. I really like the points per possession. These are meaningful.

Realization is the first step in change so I think coaches use these numbers to show there kids. It's not the only thing but it is a pretty good tool
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Your post about Lute Olson was the most offensive thing ever posted on this site in a sports forum.
What can someone say about a coach who went to 5 final fours with 2 teams and won a natty. I will tell, nothing but great things
eoe

Post by eoe »

azcat49 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Your post about Lute Olson was the most offensive thing ever posted on this site in a sports forum.
What can someone say about a coach who went to 5 final fours with 2 teams and won a natty. I will tell, nothing but great things
Rocky can always find the shitty-lining in any achievement, don't you fret.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

Oh, I thought you meant real people that are actually on the forum. I don't mind being offensive about people that have a lot of money and are considered successful. They don't know I exist and they don't care, so why would that matter?

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat49 wrote:
I just feel he is overrated. A very good coach but not a legend which is what most people think he is on this forum.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Coach Olson had a fucking stroke. Have you ever had a loved one have a stroke? I have, my father was never the same after his.

It can change a person's personality. It was a major contributor to his divorce-that and the fact that she was a little bit loopy.

But you like Greg Hansen go after Lute for things that happened during that unfortunate portion of his life.

His wonderful first wife, who was a huge part of this program, was lost to cancer.
Do you think he even wanted a second wife? It is because of Bobbie and Lute that we are even on an Arizona
message board talking about basketball.

He is by all accounts happily married to his third wife.

Your post was absolutely horrible and you should apologize for it. No Arizona fan would ever say anything like that. You're not a fan.
-JB
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

azcat49 wrote:It'd the money ball formula for us fans and coaches. Those metrics are telling, especially about the offense and defensive efficiencies. I really like the points per possession. These are meaningful.

Realization is the first step in change so I think coaches use these numbers to show there kids. It's not the only thing but it is a pretty good tool
I agree 100% but like I said not all of it translates.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Here's the post for those of you who aren't familiar with Rocky's style:
RockyRaccoon wrote:I have to choke back vomit every time I'm at McKale and the crowd rises to their feet as the silver haired "King" take his place among the plebs before the game starts.

The only connection that man has with royalty is the fact he and Henry VIII were both married about six times each.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
I just feel he is overrated. A very good coach but not a legend which is what most people think he is on this forum.
OMG Rock, coach is a hall of fame which makes him a legend. How many coaches have his resume? 2 dozen or so in history.Come on man, you must dislike him for something else
eoe

Post by eoe »

RockyRaccoon wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
"...on this forum"? He was inducted into the Hall of Fame. I don't get teary-eyed over the site of Coach Olson like a lot of people might, but your perspective on this topic is beyond stupid simply on a sports level. If you can't understand why it's so impressive to make the tournament essentially every single year and churn out NBA players at an elite level for decades, then I can't help you. He was one of the best at what he did.
RockyRaccoon

Post by RockyRaccoon »

UAEebs86 wrote:Coach Olson had a fucking stroke. Have you ever had a loved one have a stroke? I have, my father was never the same after his.

It can change a person's personality. It was a major contributor to his divorce-that and the fact that she was a little bit loopy.

But you like Greg Hansen go after Lute for things that happened during that unfortunate portion of his life.

His wonderful first wife, who was a huge part of this program, was lost to cancer.
Do you think he even wanted a second wife? It is because of Bobbie and Lute that we are even on an Arizona
message board talking about basketball.

He is by all accounts happily married to his third wife.

Your post was absolutely horrible and you should apologize for it. No Arizona fan would ever say anything like that. You're not a fan.
What? I guess he wanted one enough to get married to one and than another after his wife died.

And I have had several members of my family struggle with health issues, many of which couldn't afford health insurance. I don't think Lute struggled with that. I wonder what his thoughts on Obamacare are? Maybe we should ask that wonderful second wife of his? I'm sure she was a big supporter of it.

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

You are fucking clueless. He never wanted to lose his wife to cancer. If it wasn't for cancer he would still be married to Bobbie. Try to keep up.
-JB
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I'm locking this thread. I don't need/want to see a thread with some nutjob waxing on about Lute's marital history and the nation's healthcare system.

If you insist on being crazy, then post your crazy in the PRB forum here: http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewforum.php?f=11

::::

Oh and if anyone thinks I'm overstepping my bounds here, then by all means let me know. I tend to have a light mod-hand, but this thread is disgusting.

Edit by JMJ:

This thread needed to be locked. If certain members want to be contrarian, that is fine, but they need to do so with facts, not personal attacks, and evidence, not conjecture.

If a certain members threads continue to devolve into personal attacks and baseless and senseless claims against fellow posters and the legacy of Arizona basketball, then the ability of said poster to create threads will cease to exist, and if that doesn't solve the problem, then the community can go the route of a ban poll.

Have an opinion, back it up, but don't be an ignorant asshat, especially on topics that will knowingly rile posters against you. That's not being a community contributor. That's being a troll and trolls are not suffered for very long.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: