Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pokinmik

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by pokinmik »

We aren't getting shipped anywhere. We will be announced as 1 or 2 in the West two weeks and one day from now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nova becomes the 1 in the West with us as the 2, which would be awesome. Wisconsin could slip into that 1 if they win out, which would be less awesome.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

We are creating our way to a 1 seed we just need to duke, whisky and nova to lose!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Zags just kissed their one seed goodbye and a home loss to a team who wouldnt have gotten in should kiss a two seed out west goodbye.

If nova gets the one seed out west and we get the two, ill take that in a second. Much rather play them than Gonzaga
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Cats, Kentucky, Nova, Wisky and Duke are the five protected seeds right now with no wiggle room for Wisky.

Expect Nova or Duke to lose at least once more and indisputably return UA to 1 seed line in the next two weeks.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Lunardi has the zags leaving the west. Simon and Katz agre
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Mentioined it in another thread....but I'd pay good money to secure Nova as the 1 in the west, and Arizona as the 2.

That is best case scenario IMO. Love that. Love it, love it, love it....
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Why is nova so good to have? Haven't they won like 16 straight in the #1 rip league?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Why is nova so good to have? Haven't they won like 16 straight in the #1 rip league?
Who have they beaten?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Top 50 rpi Georgetown, butler, st. John's, vcu, providence, and Xavier teams.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

When you have to qualify with only RPI, it is not good.

BTW, Georgetown also beat them by 20. Xavier is 18-12.

They also lost to Seton Hall and beat Michgan by 5 whole points. Syracuse took them to OT.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

VCU has been ass down the stretch too
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Olsondogg wrote:When you have to qualify with only RPI, it is not good.

They also lost to Seton Hall and beat Michgan by 5 whole points. Syracuse took them to OT.
Nova might end up being the weakest 1 seed in a long time. I would fucking LOVE to have them as the 1 in the west. It's just like last year when they got a 2 because they dominated the BE, only this year the BE is better than it was last year (lots of decent, not even good or great teams).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:When you have to qualify with only RPI, it is not good.

Nova might end up being the weakest 1 seed in a long time. I would fucking LOVE to have them as the 1 in the west. It's just like last year when they got a 2 because they dominated the BE, only this year the BE is better than it was last year (lots of decent, not even good or great teams).

I'd love it too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

San Diego State, Utah and Gonzaga all lost at home today. We are the top team in the West.
Right where I want to be.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

gumby wrote:San Diego State, Utah and Gonzaga all lost at home today. We are the top team in the West.
Yes we are, but we need to stay focused and close out Cal & Stanford at McKale...then win the frickin' P12 Tourney.....then on to the Big Dance! BEAR DOWN.
ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

We're in the west if we take care of business, 1 or 2 seed guaranteed. Worst case is where we get shipped and in who's region if we lose to a team we shouldn't in the Pac12 Tournament.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder if the ACC can get two 1 seeds in UVA and Duke? Hoping the winner of that tourney gets the 1 seed in the east and the other is shipped out.

Nova would be better off losing so it can stay out east as the 2 seed IMO. you have to start looking how the committee will start balancing these brackets.

If we get a 1 we might get the ACC runner up out west or Nova as the 2 and then Wichita St and Louisville. I really like Wichita St and think they are going to be a tough out this year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

even without Gonzaga losing and AZ winning at Utah last night, the CATS 100% without a doubt woulda been and will be the #1 seed -- WEST Region if they win out.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

that's fantastic, Katz -- THX for posting
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
97cats

Post by 97cats »

that is if the season ended today -- Arizona, 100% without a doubt, will be the #1 seed -- WEST Region if they win out.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

A quick look at the bracketology matrix has most predictors leaving us in the west as the #2 seed, although there are a couple that have us being bumped into Kentuckys bracket with Gonzaga staying in the west:

http://bracketodds.cs.illinois.edu/TT.html

There are also a couple of prognosticators that have bumped us up onto the 1 line:

https://everydayismarch.wordpress.com/

Personally, I'm fine with a 1 or 2 as long as we avoid Kentuckys bracket altogether.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would take that CBS bracket in a heart beat. Nova as a 1 and Notre Dame as a 3.

I just don't see in anyway the committee would put AZ a 2 behind Kentucky. If we finish right we will have to be the top 2 seed at worst and Kentucky should get the lowest 2 seed which may be the zags or Kansas
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Katzenfreund wrote:
I'm sorry, but the national perception is: toupee. Facts are irrelevant.
Right where I want to be.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

as if you can't glue down a toupee
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Irish27 wrote:#2 in the west with Villanova #1.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
My God yes
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:
Katzenfreund wrote:
I'm sorry, but the national perception is: toupee. Facts are irrelevant.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Interesting read on the contenders for the 3 #1 picks after Kentucky:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 02953.html
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Looks like Gasaway wrote a nice piece on us. Im not an insider, but from what is free content, says we are just like kentucky, far better than our ranking, and he is not buying concerns of our offense.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball
Bangkok Wildcat

rgdeuce wrote:Looks like Gasaway wrote a nice piece on us. Im not an insider, but from what is free content, says we are just like kentucky, far better than our ranking, and he is not buying concerns of our offense.

Yeah, was hoping someone would post that article please ;-).......
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Looks like Gasaway wrote a nice piece on us. Im not an insider, but from what is free content, says we are just like kentucky, far better than our ranking, and he is not buying concerns of our offense.

Yeah, was hoping someone would post that article please ;-).......

from another thread:
salim'sheadband wrote:This seems timely:

Why you should stop worrying about offense and appreciate Arizona (John Gasaway ESPN)

I'm not sure why Arizona has been languishing, relatively speaking, at No. 7 in the polls, but I do know I don't buy it. Or more precisely, the Wildcats are far stronger than your average No. 7-ranked team in your average season.

Sean Miller's men have outscored the Pac-12 by 0.27 points per possession, the same margin by which Kentucky has outscored the SEC. Conversely, last season everyone seemed properly respectful of an Arizona team that was "just" (ha) 0.17 points better than the rest of the Pac-12 on each possession. That group of Wildcats was given a No. 1 seed and came within a single possession of the Final Four.

Miller justly enjoys a reputation for coaching exceptionally strong defensive teams, but one aspect of this particular Arizona team that likely hasn't been talked up enough is its ability to force turnovers. Pac-12 opponents have given the ball away on 21 percent of their possessions to the Wildcats. That's nowhere near the percentages posted by the likes of West Virginia (forcing turnovers on 26 percent of Big 12 opponents' possessions) or VCU (24 percent in A-10 play), but within the context of an Arizona defense that also protects the rim and is absolutely dominant on the glass, an opponent turnover rate of 21 percent is excellent.

True, on the other side of the ball I'm hearing it said that the worry with Arizona is whether this team can score enough. Well, not to be repetitious, but I'm not sure I buy that either. First and most fundamentally, you can't outscore a major conference by a huge, borderline historic margin like 0.27 points per trip without both your defense and your offense being excellent.

Second and more specifically, this may be the best 2-point shooting team I've ever seen that has somehow caused people to fret about its scoring. The Wildcats have connected on 51.9 percent of their 2s in Pac-12 play. To draw another comparison to the No. 1-ranked team in the country, that's pretty much what we've seen from Kentucky in SEC play (51.4).

No, Miller's guys don't light up the scoreboard from the perimeter, but T.J. McConnell andGabe York are legitimate 3-point threats who have combined to shoot 39 percent from beyond the arc in conference play. It turns out that Arizona's low team percentage against Pac-12 opponents (33 percent) is in large part the statistical residue of Stanley Johnson trying to display a needed skill to the next level. That team percentage does not, however, indicate that Miller lacks the personnel to make 3s.

Besides, this is an outstanding offensive rebounding team, one that's pulled down 37 percent of its misses in league play. Guys like Johnson, Brandon Ashley, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson andKaleb Tarczewski don't have eye-popping individual offensive rebounding percentages -- but that's because they have to compete with one another for every rebound. Cumulatively speaking, this is a team that has shown it can erase its own misses in a highly effective manner.

Winning the second game of a two-game road swing at high altitude against an opponent as strong as Utah (which was previously undefeated at home) is arguably one of the most impressive victories recorded by any team in the nation this season. I realize there are more national championship-caliber teams than there are available No. 1 seeds this season, and you can worry about this Arizona offense if you wish. But everything I'm seeing tells me this group of Wildcats may be even better than the top-seeded team that came out of Tucson last season.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Bangkok Wildcat

Thank you Mr. Meat :-)
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Fuck Villanova. Bring them out west, please. They are they most overrated program year after year and its a mystery as to why. I knew a bunch of Nova grads when I lived back east and every single one of them was a gigantic douche. Bring them out west, let them feel what Duke feels when they get stuck in the West bracket. Let them come be humbled by any team from this side of the country. Because that's what will happen.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

we still owe villanova for 2006 when we barely lost to them in the 2nd round when they were a 1 seed.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

oregon now 22-8 and 12-5 in conference. play @oregon state on wednesday. i think now they have played themselves solidly in and even out of a play in game and to a 9-10 seed (outside of losing to osu and an early pac 12 exit). were 14-6 and 4-3 in the conference and now have won 8 out of 10.

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

ASUHATER! wrote:we still owe villanova for 2006 when we barely lost to them in the 2nd round when they were a 1 seed.
Yep. I was in law school with a bunch of nova grads then. Waiting to show them the batwing after that game. They were l so full of themselves they didn't even remember I went to Arizona to talk trash after. Lord knows I would have shown up and payed homage to the ooh ah man in front of their little douche club in class. Wouldn't have been the most ridiculous stunt I pulled in law school, fortunately.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Villanova does not want to see us in the tournament. Our length and athleticism on both sides of the ball will give them issues.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

My mom is a Kentucky grad, I would much prefer we meet them in the Championship game than before. I also have the feeling that if a team beats an undefeated Kentucky team they would be on such an emotional high there would be a letdown the following game so playing them as late as possible would be best.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gimme some of that Palm Bracket West.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like that bracket is our best path to the Final Four. If Nova and Wisky lose and we slide into that 1 seed then Gonzaga is probably our 2 seed and I want no part of them again.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

azgreg wrote:Lunardi's latest bracket.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
That 2nd/3rd game is kinda scary. Both of those teams have some good shooters.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I would def prefer this bracket. No way Nova makes it to the elite 8.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:I feel like that bracket is our best path to the Final Four. If Nova and Wisky lose and we slide into that 1 seed then Gonzaga is probably our 2 seed and I want no part of them again.
if Arizona wins out, it will 100% be the #1 seed -- WEST Region regardless of what Wisconsin or Villanova do to end the season
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:I feel like that bracket is our best path to the Final Four. If Nova and Wisky lose and we slide into that 1 seed then Gonzaga is probably our 2 seed and I want no part of them again.
if Arizona wins out, it will 100% be the #1 seed -- WEST Region regardless of what Wisconsin or Villanova do to end the season
I'm not feeling quite at 100%, but I do feel 100% confident that Villinova or Wisconson will be in our region as the #1 or 2 so it really doesn't matter
97cats

Post by 97cats »

if Arizona wins out it will own the outright regular season Pac12 Conf Title, the Pac12 Tournament Title and will have a record of 31-3 winning 11 in a row to end the season and 16 of its last 17 games and undefeated at home.

it will be the unquestioned top team in the Western United States with two (maybe three, depending on Pac12 Tournament) wins against Utah and a head to head win over Gonzaga and regional wins vs SDSU along with a neutral site pre season Tournament title.

depending on how the rest of the season shakes out for Arizona's opponents played; they would hold a 5-0 record against the RPI top 25, 7-0 (minimum depending on Conf Tournament match-ups) vs the RPI top 50.

there is no way the committee displaces Arizona to the number two seed for Villanova as the number one in the WEST under this scenario. the only time this happens is when there is a large discrepancy between a non-regional TEAM (Villanova) and the top team in that noted region -- Arizona.

in this case the teams are almost even, and if Arizona wins out and owns one of the six power conf regular season and tournament championships along with a head to head victory over the other top team in that region (in this case Gonzaga and the region being the west) they will be awarded accordingly and will be given top billing in that part of the country.

now, of course, Arizona has to win out and as everyone here already knows, Sean Miller has never won the Pac12 Tournament.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good stuff 97. I'm convinced. Which doesn't fill me with joy because as I said I don't want to see Gonzaga again.