let's talk '15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: let's talk '15

Post by rgdeuce »

Puerco wrote:There was a recent ESPN recruiting blurb that finished up with Goodman saying UA would be the best place for Zimmerman. Any chance?
They had a recruiting special the other day on ESPNU. ESPN's head of recruiting (or whatever his title was) predicted he stayed on the west coast (UCLA, us, UNLV) and said Arizona was the best fit. He leaned Arizona. But doesn't sound like that is the case.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Newportcat wrote:Wooden Classic in what is basically a high school gym at Cal State Fullerton will be awesome

Not in Anaheim anymore?

So there!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I believe the final championship game is at the Honda Center but the prelim games are at CS Fullerton. Literally their gym is a high school gym so will kind of be like watching a game in Maui.

I hate the Honda Center though
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Puerco wrote:There was a recent ESPN recruiting blurb that finished up with Goodman saying UA would be the best place for Zimmerman. Any chance?
They had a recruiting special the other day on ESPNU. ESPN's head of recruiting (or whatever his title was) predicted he stayed on the west coast (UCLA, us, UNLV) and said Arizona was the best fit. He leaned Arizona. But doesn't sound like that is the case.
If Z has a goal of developing for the pros, we win that easily. Want to play for a championship? Arizona is also the best fit there. Those things don't always control the process, though.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

PJC will get handed the keys to the car next year.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Zimmerman = zero chance
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Zimmerman = zero chance
UCLA? UNLV? Kansas?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Reydituto wrote:PJC will get handed the keys to the car next year.
And a phone book to sit on?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:As great as our two incoming guards are, it's hard to imagine either of them starting over PJC and GY. So I'm guessing our starting five looks like this next season:

PJC
GY
Smith
Anderson
Rabb

If Tarc or Ashley stays, wow. But like someone said upthread, I think our whole starting five is gone.

How many minutes did PJC get in the second half against Utah. Every team is going to exploit his height (or lack there of).

Simon lists at 6'5" (another JP Prince!) and has a 6'11" wingspan.

York is 6'3" and obviously more of a combo guard than true PG like TJ and PJC.

Also can't leave Trier off the court, a true scorer.
Trier will get minutes, obviously. But I think PJC is our guy at PG next season. There have been tons of undersized PGs who've starred in college, some at AZ.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

he will fill out over time and look less like Lil Bow Wow.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Some small guys can play.

Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
His height is not the issue many want to make it. He does need another 10-15 pounds of muscle. But he is a Natural Born Point Guard.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bad decision recruiting and starting Damon Stoudamire. Too short. Everyone could see that.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Reydituto wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
His height is not the issue many want to make it. He does need another 10-15 pounds of muscle. But he is a Natural Born Point Guard.
I like PJC and think he will be a solid 4 year player that we're glad to have.

That doesn't mean I don't like height jokes. I'm only concerned about his size on D. Offensively, he just needs to consistently stick the J and he'll be fine.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Reydituto wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That doesn't mean I don't like height jokes. I'm only concerned about his size on D. Offensively, he just needs to consistently stick the J and he'll be fine.
Fair enough, most the people who make height jokes about PJC use them as denigration or criticism, not humor.

Defensively, I think the fact PJC has a relatively long wingspan (6'3") for his height, and that he can switch to stay on the perimeter in this system, means he should be fine.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

gumby wrote:Bad decision recruiting and starting Damon Stoudamire. Too short. Everyone could see that.
Lute and Miller look for a different balance of skills between offense and defense. I really love PJC's completely effortless ability to break down a defense and his ball security, but he's going to have to get much stronger to defend and board the way Miller relied on TJ to the past two years. And we don't yet know if PJC has an absolutely unstoppable pull up 3 the way Damon did either.

But next year's team is going to have to be MUCH more offensively focused anyway because it's hard to see it being even close to as good defensively as last season and this season, so it might be a good fit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Reydituto wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Reydituto wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Fair enough, most the people who make height jokes about PJC use them as denigration or criticism, not humor.

Defensively, I think the fact PJC has a relatively long wingspan (6'3") for his height, and that he can switch to stay on the perimeter in this system, means he should be fine.
Where we will suffer is that CSM will no longer be able to switch everyone on defense. With McConnell there are very few mismatches. With PJC, there are definitely more.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

you're on a roll, Chi -- good stuff

must be March!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'm peaking at the right moment.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
az91

Post by az91 »

dcZONAfan wrote: No way both Brash and Zeus stay. I'd say it's more likely Zeus, but I'd be surprised if either are on this team next year.

As for Comanche....dude's not gonna contribute next year. He needs time, and we are going to have to be patient with him. Luckily we have Ristic and Anderson to hold it down, and maybe some guy w/ the initials IR?
If we don't get IR or some other (hopefully elite) big man recruit besides Zimmerman (aka zero chance), why would Comanche not contribute next year? If he can play defense, I think he can get minutes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

az91 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote: No way both Brash and Zeus stay. I'd say it's more likely Zeus, but I'd be surprised if either are on this team next year.

As for Comanche....dude's not gonna contribute next year. He needs time, and we are going to have to be patient with him. Luckily we have Ristic and Anderson to hold it down, and maybe some guy w/ the initials IR?
If we don't get IR or some other (hopefully elite) big man recruit besides Zimmerman (aka zero chance), why would Comanche not contribute next year? If he can play defense, I think he can get minutes.
We're getting Rabb.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

patience
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

az91 wrote: If we don't get IR or some other (hopefully elite) big man recruit besides Zimmerman (aka zero chance), why would Comanche not contribute next year? If he can play defense, I think he can get minutes.
Same as CV this year. Not ready for the college game, which is why I said we will need to be patient w/ him. I'm not sure why you would think that someone will be a contributor immediately as a freshman just because he is tall.

Few recruits make impact as freshman unless they are the elite (ESPECIALLY in CSM's system), and Comanche is not an elite recruit.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote:patience
sounds positive

(caveat - as I sit meditating, wearing my rose colored glasses) ;)
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

To me, Rabb is waiting to see whag Bash does. He has stated he likes how UA said they would use him similar to Bash, and he probably wants to see what Bash decides since hes not a 1st rounder right now.

What Zeus does is irrelevant to IR imo. IR isnt coming to play the 5. Hes a stretch 4.

Hopefully Zeus stays because with either Rabb or Bash, we have FF potential next year.

PJC
York
Smith / Trier
IR / Bash
Zeus

Bench of :
Smith / Trier
Pitts
Anderson
Kadeem
Dusan
Simon
Comanche (likely RS)

That's a talented team. Personally i would rather have a senior Bash than a fresh IR (especially if theres little chance IR is a 2 year player), but IR is no consolation prize. Either way we r pfficially UK West. So healthy as a program we will reload and contend every year.

But next year, Zeus returning to lead team is key to contending. It would also give Deuce another year to develop ..... his lateral quickness still needs a lot of work. Ideally him taking over as an upperclassman is much more ideal.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

PennZona20 wrote:
Hopefully Zeus stays because with either Rabb or Bash, we have FF potential next year.

PJC
York
Smith / Trier
IR / Bash
Zeus

Bench of :
Smith / Trier
Pitts
Anderson
Kadeem
Dusan
Simon
Comanche (likely RS)

That's a talented team.
That lineup right there is a better, more talented, more athletic, more unstoppable version on the current Kentucky "platoon" thing. That lineup is the most stacked team Arizona has ever had, by far.

I put "platoon" in quotation marks because teams like Arkansas and Loyola Marymount did it way before this. But when Cal does something, it is obviously the first ever.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Kentucky this year would have more depth in paint i think. Not on perimeter though.

Like i said, Zeus comes back and we are right there next year. Great time to be a fan. Arizona is as poised for success for the foreseeable future as any team in the country.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Ideally Bash and Tarc stay, because there is no professional basketball reasons that would indicate they should leave. However, logic and reasoning rarely matter in these decisions and I expect both to leave.

It's okay because Ryan Anderson is going to be the starting PF next year and he is going to be great.

Look at that.

If Rabb wants to put his fake friendship with Cuonzo ahead of winning, go for it. I'll happily take a fifth year senior, with a year of practice in the system, up against him 2-3x for Rabb's singular year (unless Cuonzo pulls his Stokes magic on him!) Cal is going to suck next year with or without Ivan.

Arizona won't have the depth to redshirt Comanche but I hope he is more patient than Victor.
gumby

Post by gumby »

luteformayor2 wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

PJC
York
Smith / Trier
IR / Bash
Zeus

Bench of :
Smith / Trier
Pitts
Anderson
Kadeem
Dusan
Simon
Comanche (likely RS)

That's a talented team.
That lineup right there is a better, more talented, more athletic, more unstoppable version on the current Kentucky "platoon" thing. That lineup is the most stacked team Arizona has ever had, by far.

I put "platoon" in quotation marks because teams like Arkansas and Loyola Marymount did it way before this. But when Cal does something, it is obviously the first ever.
As far as depth, yes. But four of them would be freshmen, and productivity would be uncertain. Plus, I'd expect a transfer or two, especially on the perimeter.

We've certainly had more talented backcourts. For instance, this year and last year. And Stoudamire/Reeves. Gardner/Arenas. Simon/Bibby/Terry/Dickerson. Possibly, Gardner/Stoudamire, Geary/Simon and Kerr/McMillan.

Lotta depth in the backcourt, but productivity is a question mark. It's the key to next season. Also, IR could be concerned with Ryan Anderson. He was a 14 and 7 guy at Boston College who is stronger and more experienced.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

luteformayor2 wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

PJC
York
Smith / Trier
IR / Bash
Zeus

Bench of :
Smith / Trier
Pitts
Anderson
Kadeem
Dusan
Simon
Comanche (likely RS)

That's a talented team.

Wait, was this supposed to be serious? 40-0 serious?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:Ivan Rabb = #1 priority in the 2015 class
June 27, 2014
Last edited by 97cats on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:some things are worth the wait, this is one of them
July 2, 2014
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The sticking factor with Ashley is draft ceiling and potential.

The more games Zeus has like Utah going forward, the better chance he has of being outta here. Scouts who were already going to give him a first-round guarantee on his height and defensive acumen alone will be no doubt panting in his ear that he'll be a lotto pick if he builds on his performance in Salt Lake.

Ashley's more of a tweener whose defense and shooting have become more inconsistent, not less, over the course of this season.

If BAsh can't correct his free-throw and weak-side help vulnerablities by the time the Cats leave Vegas, Miller could end up next season with Ristic at center, a seven-footer redshirting behind him and three six-nine-plus "power" forwards thinking they should all be entitled to start at the 4.

It's a lot of talent, don't get me wrong, but the best lineup on the floor most of the time (PJC-York-Trier-Ashley/Anderson-Rabb) would be a considerably smaller one than the massive one we've grown accustomed to the last two seasons.

It's a concern because the Utah performance hinted at a plateau in Ashley's game; he needs to be taking that next step the rest of the starters (including York) are taking.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NBA NBA NBA NBA

Sean Miller is a Witch
October 23, 2014
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

In 97 I trust
97cats

Post by 97cats »

October 24, 2014
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:it's all about Ivan Rabb for the final in '15
November 5, 2014
97cats

Post by 97cats »

March 1, 2015
97cats

Post by 97cats »

March 5, 2015
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Oh.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't get it.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't get it.
97 is tooting his horn a little. My take is that things are looking good for IR. It also sounds like Bash is leaning towards leaving for the NBA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
A+ Chicat.

I've been walking the streets at night, just tryin' to get it right
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Hmm, we'll have size?

4. Rabb/Anderson
5. Zeus/Ristic/Comanche
gumby

Post by gumby »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don't get it.
A doc should understand patience.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think Tarc's going pro, guys.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I think Tarc's going pro, guys.
Isn't IR a pf?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote:
Isn't IR a pf?
Yep. But why not go with a three forward lineup, especially with Anderson and Rabb's size? Or just start Ristic at the 5.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Isn't IR a pf?
Yep. But why not go with a three forward lineup, especially with Anderson and Rabb's size? Or just start Ristic at the 5.
Why worry about positions? If we have Rabb, Comanche, Anderson and Ristic, that's at least three guys who should immediately be ready for major minutes. With a lineup with talent, you just let them figure it out.