Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with BC, I want no part of Kaminski. BASH won't be the answer as Gordon tried and he had better lateral quickness and was almost as long. Kaminski will take him low and score at will or roam the perimeter and drill 3's.

I am not nearly as sold on UVA. Yea it would be ugly but I think they are a better version of Utah. We win a slugfest there.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat49 wrote:I agree with BC, I want no part of Kaminski. BASH won't be the answer as Gordon tried and he had better lateral quickness and was almost as long. Kaminski will take him low and score at will or roam the perimeter and drill 3's.

I am not nearly as sold on UVA. Yea it would be ugly but I think they are a better version of Utah. We win a slugfest there.

I dunno...Kaminski had a career game and nobody really did outstanding for Arizona last year. Defense was not the issue in the Wisconsin game...offense was. The offense is leaps and bounds better this year...I'm not worried about Wisconsin.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Machina

Post by Machina »

Jefe wrote:Oh, makes sense

When is McKale going to get some March games again?
Hopefully never for U of A's perspective since U of A can't play there and it would mean further trips for U of A.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I agree with BC, I want no part of Kaminski. BASH won't be the answer as Gordon tried and he had better lateral quickness and was almost as long. Kaminski will take him low and score at will or roam the perimeter and drill 3's.

I dunno...Kaminski had a career game and nobody really did outstanding for Arizona last year. Defense was not the issue in the Wisconsin game...offense was. The offense is leaps and bounds better this year...I'm not worried about Wisconsin.
Yep. Somebody's gonna score for them. If we can't score 55 in regulation, it won't matter...again. This year, though, I feel much better about our offensive composition.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

Machina wrote:
Jefe wrote:Oh, makes sense

When is McKale going to get some March games again?
Hopefully never for U of A's perspective since U of A can't play there and it would mean further trips for U of A.
Come on, bro. May or may not happen, but to hope it doesn't? McKale makes a fantastic venue after all the upgrades. I think Byrne and Miller would be glad to showcase their home. If we're good enough to be seeded in the West region year after year, what does it matter?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah a sub regional game in Tucson means none in Phoenix or Albuquerque or Vegas or probably San Diego or los Angeles. They usually only do 2 maybe 3 sites west of the Mississippi and if it was in Tucson we'd probably be shipped to the east coast. McKale hosted sites 6 times from 1987-2000 but only twice since. In 2005(we went to the only other western site in Boise) and 2011(went to Tulsa).
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Really is too bad. I miss the old tournament games here.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lunardi says Wildcats still need help

2 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

Even if the Wildcats continue rolling into the NCAA tournament by beating Stanford on Saturday and winning the Pac-12 Tournament next week, ESPN’s Joe Lunardi doesn’t see them leapfrogging any of his current No. 1 NCAA tournament seeds (Kentucky, Duke, Virginia and Villanova) on their own merit.

UA will still need help, he says. But some of that help could come Saturday in Chapel Hill, N.C.

“If four teams that are there don’t lose, they’ll stay put,” Lunardi said today, on an ESPN conference call. “But both Wisconsin and Arizona are right there, and what I’ve been thinking about a lot is what happens if Duke loses at Carolina -- which is probably a 50-50 bet?”

If that were to happen, who would move up? I have Wisconsin fifth, but I mean if you asked me in 10 minutes, it could be Arizona. But Arizona’s losses are a little worse than Wisconsin’s, and one of Wisconsin’s losses came without arguably the best player in the country (the Badgers lost to Rutgers without Frank Kaminsky).”

Not only are the Wildcats and Badgers a close call, Lunardi said, but so are a whole bunch of teams after Kentucky.

“It’s very unusual for there to be this many teams with true No. 1 resumes that aren’t No. 1 seeds,” Lunardi said.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... 4024a.html
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

HiCat wrote:Lunardi says Wildcats still need help

2 hours ago • Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star

Even if the Wildcats continue rolling into the NCAA tournament by beating Stanford on Saturday and winning the Pac-12 Tournament next week, ESPN’s Joe Lunardi doesn’t see them leapfrogging any of his current No. 1 NCAA tournament seeds (Kentucky, Duke, Virginia and Villanova) on their own merit.

UA will still need help, he says. But some of that help could come Saturday in Chapel Hill, N.C.

“If four teams that are there don’t lose, they’ll stay put,” Lunardi said today, on an ESPN conference call. “But both Wisconsin and Arizona are right there, and what I’ve been thinking about a lot is what happens if Duke loses at Carolina -- which is probably a 50-50 bet?”

If that were to happen, who would move up? I have Wisconsin fifth, but I mean if you asked me in 10 minutes, it could be Arizona. But Arizona’s losses are a little worse than Wisconsin’s, and one of Wisconsin’s losses came without arguably the best player in the country (the Badgers lost to Rutgers without Frank Kaminsky).”

Not only are the Wildcats and Badgers a close call, Lunardi said, but so are a whole bunch of teams after Kentucky.

“It’s very unusual for there to be this many teams with true No. 1 resumes that aren’t No. 1 seeds,” Lunardi said.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... 4024a.html

I just don't see how if we win out, we don't go #1 in the west. We have better wins than Villanova, better metrics, and only 3 to 2 in losses. I really think the comittee seeds as #1 in west with win out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think I would rather have a 2 seed to Nova's 1 than to have a 1 seed with Wisky as our 2 or even UVA if they lost.

Just give me Nova in any dynamic
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I hope we get the chance to knock Wisconsin out.
gumby

Post by gumby »

thenewazcats wrote:I hope we get the chance to knock Wisconsin out.
... in Indy.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

thenewazcats wrote:I hope we get the chance to knock Kentucky out.
Fixed it.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

I want the chance to beat the best. If we can somehow knock out Wisconsin and Kentucky in the Final Four I will be the happiest man alive. I wouldn't mind a good go at Duke either, we'd probably beat em by 15 with their lazy, sludge for a defense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah a sub regional game in Tucson means none in Phoenix or Albuquerque or Vegas or probably San Diego or los Angeles. They usually only do 2 maybe 3 sites west of the Mississippi and if it was in Tucson we'd probably be shipped to the east coast. McKale hosted sites 6 times from 1987-2000 but only twice since. In 2005(we went to the only other western site in Boise) and 2011(went to Tulsa).
There are always two western sites for first round games, so Arizona would go to the other.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well depends on our seed. If we're a top 3 seed probably.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well depends on our seed. If we're a top 3 seed probably.
Top 4 seeds are geographically protected. So if the first round west coast sites are Tucson and Sacramento, and Arizona is a 4 seed or higher, the Cats go to Sac-Town, no matter what region they are in. Geography trumps everything besides conference affiliation. The committee can even bump or drop a team a seed to make sure the top four seeds can all play as close to home as possible.

Personally though I think it's dumb and they should go back to the old way where you played at the locations in your region. For one thing, why shouldn't a city like Cleveland get a chance to see a great team like Arizona or Portland get to see Duke?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I would rather knock Wisconsin or UK out before they reach the F4. There's consolation when losing in the F4; "At least we made it this far." I hope both teams go home early, hurting, and if we can deliver the blow, even better.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

With the way Ashley and Zeus have been playing lately, I'm liking our chances against anyone.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Kentucky looked pretty good. 31-0.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:Kentucky looked pretty good. 31-0.
UK has been the best team in the nation, clearly. But...if we play our best game, UK would have to match our intensity and execution for 40 minutes. We can beat UK if we can somehow find that transcendent, Bibby/Simon-level in March.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Need Duke to lose tonight and/or Wisky to lose tomorrow.

If the 1 seed line comes down to Cats and Rasheed Sulaimon's wins, will be openly furious but secretly happy as long as Cats get 2 seed in Nova's region.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If UVA wins the ACC tourney they still get a 1 seed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:If UVA wins the ACC tourney they still get a 1 seed.
If it's a Duke/VA final the winner gets a 1 and the loser might drop to a 2.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah but now nobody can say that UVA is so awesome that a Duke loss to UVA is really a Duke win generally and so they get a 1-seed.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

One week from tomorrow is Selection Sunday! It's like Christmas morning when you were a kid.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
If it's a Duke/VA final the winner gets a 1 and the loser might drop to a 2.
I can't see the ACC getting two #1 seeds, not after UVA's loss today.

If AZ wins the Pac tourney,

UK
Nova (assuming they win their conference tourney)
ACC tourney winner
AZ

If AZ does not win the Pac tourney,

UK
Nova
ACC
Wisconsin (assuming they win their conference tourney)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Whom has Nova beaten that they deserve a #1? Have they beaten anyone as good as Gonzaga or Utah?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Whom has Nova beaten that they deserve a #1? Have they beaten anyone as good as Gonzaga or Utah?
No, but they don't have any bad loses.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Whom has Nova beaten that they deserve a #1? Have they beaten anyone as good as Gonzaga or Utah?
So a bad loss is more significant than a good win?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
So a bad loss is more significant than a good win?
No, but we have 3 and I believe they have more top 50 RPI wins then we have. They're a good team that I think we can wax.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

I kind of want status quo. I'd much rather be a 2 with nova as a 1, than a 1 with Wiscy as a 2.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Aren't you supposed to be some sort of English teacher? smh...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Ain't nothing wrong with my sentence, bruh. But I don't think this is the grammar forum.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Just keep winning, things will take care of themselves.

Aside from maybe Kentucky, and even then, I'm not sure, there isn't a team in the country looking like us right now.. This team is peaking at the right time. Gminksi commented on it, our bigs playing like this takes this already great team to a whole new level.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
U
Ain't nothing wrong with my sentence, bruh. But I don't think this is the grammar forum.
Heh.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:I want the chance to beat the best. If we can somehow knock out Wisconsin and Kentucky in the Final Four I will be the happiest man alive. I wouldn't mind a good go at Duke either, we'd probably beat em by 15 with their lazy, sludge for a defense.

I tell ya we are gooooood.

Kentucky just seems a little bigger and a litttle deeper at every postion this year.

Just get me to the Final Four! And then we'll discuss.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

CBCat wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:I want the chance to beat the best. If we can somehow knock out Wisconsin and Kentucky in the Final Four I will be the happiest man alive. I wouldn't mind a good go at Duke either, we'd probably beat em by 15 with their lazy, sludge for a defense.

I tell ya we are gooooood.

Kentucky just seems a little bigger and a litttle deeper at every postion this year.

Just get me to the Final Four! And then we'll discuss.
Yep, Kentucky is good, and deep. But my guess is that fact might affect their preparation going forward. If Arizona plays as they are now, they can beat anybody.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Goodman is in danger of going full Doyel. You never go full Doyel.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is Wisconsin considered the worst 2 seed? Why else would they get stuck in Kentucky's bracket? (Protected seed?)
I think Kansas is the worst of those 2 seeds, either them or the Zags.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It's because they value geography more than projecting who might match up in future games. I think the second thing they look at is the balance of the top 4 seeds
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:It's because they value geography more than projecting who might match up in future games. I think the second thing they look at is the balance of the top 4 seeds
I bet Wisconsin wishes they could get shipped out then!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This geography trumps all thing is stupid. Go back to the S curve.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't get why Kansas just loses and loses but is still considered by some a 2 seed. Remember when we lost 6 regular season games two years ago and we're made a 6 seed?

Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:I don't get why Kansas just loses and loses but is still considered by some a 2 seed. Remember when we lost 6 regular season games two years ago and we're made a 6 seed?
Kansas has the #1 SOS. It should go for something. Not that a 2 is right for them
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't care how good your SOS is if you lose to half or more of those good teams. Gotta beat some of them. Ku is 4 seed in my mind.