UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by Puerco »

Tarc's been doing some things for his entire career which can be frustrating at times, and which likely keep him from becoming a dominant center -- most notably bringing the ball down when he gets it near the rim. That said, he's still a damned good player for us, and his level of performance could very well dictate our ceiling in the tournament. Suppose I could say that for any player, but I truly feel that the foundation of our success this year is the defense being played by TJ and Tarc.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:Tarc's been doing some things for his entire career which can be frustrating at times, and which likely keep him from becoming a dominant center -- most notably bringing the ball down when he gets it near the rim.
I don't know, after seeing BAsh keep the ball high, turn to the rim and try to score, only to get called on replay for a flagrant foul, makes me wonder if Tarc brings the ball down for a reason. He'd foul out quick keeping the ball high, apparently.

;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Olsondogg wrote:Comparing any decent player to Kreal is ridiculous.

Unless we are talking dance moves.
There was a kid doing the Krealio dance in the aisle at the game last night during a TV timeout. Couldn't have been more than 10 years old. Hilarious
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Tarc's been doing some things for his entire career which can be frustrating at times, and which likely keep him from becoming a dominant center -- most notably bringing the ball down when he gets it near the rim.
I don't know, after seeing BAsh keep the ball high, turn to the rim and try to score, only to get called on replay for a flagrant foul, makes me wonder if Tarc brings the ball down for a reason. He'd foul out quick keeping the ball high, apparently.

;)
If the refs go to the monitor for a flagrant on Saturday one f*cking time, I will petition to email-bomb the Pac-12 offices.

You might as well admit, "Hey, we don't know what harmful contact is, we're letting the coaches decide and grinding the game to a halt to serve their agendas."

This ridiculous rule interpretation has been a problem since Kevin Parrom got ejected at Wazzu his senior year.

Just call the damn contact, refs. You couldn't protect the one player in the conference who DID get a concussion this season.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

That's actually a good point. A "basketball play" resulted in no foul called and a lingering concussion for the player hurt. Bash's play was deemed a "non basketball play" apparently, resulted in a flagrant 1 and no injuries for any player.

In PAC logic, that makes sense.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Wasn't sure where to put this.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And the only loss was that missed fg against usc
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

McKale is so epic.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mellon with the GoPro running through the Zona Zoo:

https://instagram.com/p/z8pwZtQfzZ/?modal=true
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pat Forde on Dan Patrick this morning...they both had a chuckle when they mentioned Arizona in the discussion of contenders with Kentucky/Duke/UVA/Wisconsin.

They said Arizona can't shoot the ball or score enough points basically to be a threat.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Didn't hear DP this morning, but that wouldn't surprise me. If there is one sport out there that DP doesn't pay attention to at all, it is NCAA basketball.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Pat Forde is the one who said it and DP just laughed and agreed. I like Patrick overall he just definitely doesn't know anything about NCAA bball..especially west coast bball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I like hearing that we have no offense. It used to bug me, but now I just want everyone in the world to think that we are only about defense.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm going to make a killing on the cats in my east coast based Calcutta pool this year.

Buy low, watch the wins come in.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Pat Forde is the one who said it and DP just laughed and agreed. I like Patrick overall he just definitely doesn't know anything about NCAA bball..especially west coast bball.
I used to listen to DP on morning work drive, but at some point I got tired of hearing him constantly turn conversations into being about him and his past. On a drive recently I turned on the radio and he was still doing it. He asks some guy a question about working with so-and-so and their relationship, and then after getting an answer goes on to tell a too-long story of how that reflects on his own work relationship from 20 years ago. Meh.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I like hearing that we have no offense. It used to bug me, but now I just want everyone in the world to think that we are only about defense.
We led the conference in scoring (even over COY and POY-awarded Oregon who only played offense), scoring margin, and field goal percentage, and came in second in assist-to-turnover ratio and offensive rebounds.

Anyone who thinks Arizona has no offense should not be paid to comment on sports.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Pat Forde on Dan Patrick this morning...they both had a chuckle when they mentioned Arizona in the discussion of contenders with Kentucky/Duke/UVA/Wisconsin.

They said Arizona can't shoot the ball or score enough points basically to be a threat.
That is so awesome.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I like hearing that we have no offense. It used to bug me, but now I just want everyone in the world to think that we are only about defense.
We led the conference in scoring (even over COY and POY-awarded Oregon who only played offense), scoring margin, and field goal percentage, and came in second in assist-to-turnover ratio and offensive rebounds.

Anyone who thinks Arizona has no offense should not be paid to comment on sports.
I prefer to have them block me on Twitter for calling out their stupidity...

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/gamecast? ... roupId=999

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/gamecast? ... roupId=999

It's even funnier given the timing. It's not like we averaged 95 ppg in our last two...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

People don't watch games... You get a few guys who cover one or two games from some team, they spit out something, and then everyone else runs with what those guys say about that team the rest of the year.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

rgdeuce wrote:People don't watch games... You get a few guys who cover one or two games from some team, they spit out something, and then everyone else runs with what those guys say about that team the rest of the year.

I wanna hear more about how we can't score. In a week I want the President to use that as a reason not to pick us as well. That's all I want to hear about our NCAA chances, that we can't shoot or score.

I want it on endless repeat by all the talking heads. I want opposing teams to hear about Arizona's difficulty in scoring. I want to hear about how we are elite defensively, but what is going to cost us is our inability to shoot or score the basketball.

I want that repeated endlessly.

I then want to sit and watch the games.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm with you ODogg.

And then the dumbfounded will be like "who knew that Arizona had an offense?"

And I can say to this idiot east coasters "this guy".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I'm with you ODogg.

And then the dumbfounded will be like "who knew that Arizona had an offense?"

And I can say to this idiot east coasters "this guy".
When UA reaches the championship game, all everyone will be talking about is how we "suddenly turned it on in the tournament" and "where was this offense all year?" and how "the tournament is a different animal ... just look at Arizona's newfound offensive prowess!".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

And all knowing Ken Pomeroy will be sitting in his ivory tower in SLC, silently nodding...
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

You're on fire OD. Must indeed be March.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Wonder if Virginia makes it past the 2nd or 3rd round?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Virginia post-Anderson is a version of us post-Ashley last year.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Watching Virgina play this year is like watching paint dry. It keeps them in games but minutes go by without a point and its just dudes bouncing the orange ball and staring at each other. Az isn't as strong defensively but when this team is shooting, oh my its fun. Last year, the team scored more then 80 points in a game 7 times and 3 times they went over 90. This year its been 15 times over 80 and 5 times over 90. Thats not an advanced stat but its a stat that is good for the soul.

Virginia has gone over 80 twice this year and once was in OT.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

well if that isn't the mother of all jinxes....

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wonder if they did that regionally. Like in the Midwest the featured team on the bottom is Wisconsin and Arizona is one of the ones listed.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:well if that isn't the mother of all jinxes....
At least they aren't guaranteeing a Final 4 like last year's cover.
Chicat wrote:I wonder if they did that regionally. Like in the Midwest the featured team on the bottom is Wisconsin and Arizona is one of the ones listed.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ated-cover

Virginia and Northern Iowa are the other two. Interesting choices.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:well if that isn't the mother of all jinxes....
At least they aren't guaranteeing a Final 4 like last year's cover.
Chicat wrote:I wonder if they did that regionally. Like in the Midwest the featured team on the bottom is Wisconsin and Arizona is one of the ones listed.
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... ated-cover

Virginia and Northern Iowa are the other two. Interesting choices.
oh, good, so they are regional-style covers. good, not a complete jinx then.

mofo

Post by mofo »

Interesting info on Arizona's offense after looking into it more:
*We'd be in the top 3 teams in both Pts/Gm and FG% in every other major conference (usually top 2)
*Our FG% is tops in all but the ACC if I remember correctly (Notre Dame his higher)
*We average more pts/game, higher FG% and higher 3P% than Kentucky.

And we're a defensive team. Who would have thought ...
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

HiCat wrote:Wonder if Virginia makes it past the 2nd or 3rd round?
If they get Anderson back they will be just fine.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think they run into a bunch of white boys on the wrong night raining 3's on that pack line and lose in the round of 32 or 16.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Goosebumps.... I will be watching that Thursday morning.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Watching that video I realize no one can compete with us. This is going to be an easy March to the championship
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"This is a final 4 caliber team..". "I think they can beat Kentucky and win the championship..". "Arizona has an elite defense..".

If the Wildcats make it to the FF, they can beat anybody on a given day.

Enjoy the run boys!

but, take it one game at a time eh. :D
azgreg

As good a place as any to post this

Post by azgreg »

Many tourney teams don't turn profit

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... urn-profit
More than two of every five teams in the NCAA basketball tournament either didn't make a dime or lost money on their men's basketball program last year.

That's at least according to what the schools themselves filed to the government as part of Equity in Athletics reporting that is required by all schools that receive federal student financial aid.

Twenty three of the 68 schools (33.8 percent), reported that they spent as much as they made for the 2013-14 school year. Those schools included every 15th and 16th seed, which reported $0 made from each of their programs.

Five schools in this year's tournament -- West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, UC Irvine and Davidson -- reported losses. West Virginia lost the most ($2.2 million), followed by Notre Dame ($2 million).

Butler reported that it made $1 on its basketball program last year.

Code: Select all

Tourney Teams Most Profitable In 2013-'14

School Profit

1. Louisville $24.2M 
2. Arizona $17.7M 
3. Ohio State $15.3M 
4. UNC $13.6M 
5. Duke $12.8M 
6. Wisconsin $11.8M 
7. Indiana $11.1M 
8. Kansas $9.8M 
9. Michigan State $8.5M 
10. Arkansas $8.1M 
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Money fight!

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Re: As good a place as any to post this

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:Five schools in this year's tournament -- West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, UC Irvine and Davidson -- reported losses. West Virginia lost the most ($2.2 million), followed by Notre Dame ($2 million).
WVU, OKSt and ND no doubt turn quite a profit with their FB programs.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:Five schools in this year's tournament -- West Virginia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, UC Irvine and Davidson -- reported losses. West Virginia lost the most ($2.2 million), followed by Notre Dame ($2 million).
Absolutely. Does our basketball program make more than our football program?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Absolutely. Does our basketball program make more than our football program?
Yes, by quite a bit. Looks like the FB program profits at around $1M, ex: $28,202,470, rev: $29,259,647
while the UA bb program: ex: $9,830,943, rev: $27,518,562

Whatever you don't look at expenses and revenues of the women's basketball program at the UA.

[spoiler=]They lost $3.5M.[/spoiler]
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

So all the yearly profits of the Arizona football program, even now, get swallowed up by girls basketball, times 250 percent?

That's a problem.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I want to know what is Kentucky doing with their money that they are not in the top 10? Thery'e spending a lot more money than everyone else on something!
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:So all the yearly profits of the Arizona football program, even now, get swallowed up by girls basketball, times 250 percent?

That's a problem.
That's reality most places. There are lots of nonrevenue sports that lose money every year.