POY, COY, etc.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: POY, COY, etc.

Post by Alieberman »

'ZONA97 wrote:
"You have a great point guard in T.J. McConnell, led the team to a Pac-12 title. You have a good player in Delon Wright I thought I was No. 3 in the Pac-12 candidates," said Young. "I really want to commend TJ and all the effort he put in this year for his team to win the Pac-12 title. He does a tremendous job for his team. In the history of Arizona point guards, he's one of the best there. This award could have been for Delon Wright or TJ McConnell."
Classy move by Young. My beef was never with the kid, he can't help that he won the award. And he should enjoy it.
Totally agree... this anger is not to be directed at any of the players that were honored or won awards. It should all be towards the adults in the room that acted like kids.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i will just say this -- Arizona is going to be ready to rock come Thursday ..... received a text yesterday "statement weekend"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
'ZONA97 wrote:
"You have a great point guard in T.J. McConnell, led the team to a Pac-12 title. You have a good player in Delon Wright I thought I was No. 3 in the Pac-12 candidates," said Young. "I really want to commend TJ and all the effort he put in this year for his team to win the Pac-12 title. He does a tremendous job for his team. In the history of Arizona point guards, he's one of the best there. This award could have been for Delon Wright or TJ McConnell."
Classy move by Young. My beef was never with the kid, he can't help that he won the award. And he should enjoy it.
Totally agree... this anger is not to be directed at any of the players that were honored or won awards. It should all be towards the adults in the room that acted like kids.
I doubt anyone bears ill will towards Young, etc. He didn't control the voting and played hard for his school. It's not like we should expect him to turn down the award.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Nice comments by Young. If Arizona faces his team in the tourney, I hope we kick the shit out of them to the point of embarrasing the POY and the COY. As a fan, I want blood. Fuck everyone else.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Miller and Altman seem to like and respect each other. Miller's been praising him all year.
Right where I want to be.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Alieberman wrote:
'ZONA97 wrote:
I don't think any of us had any anger directed at the player. It's not his fault he got an award that should've went to someone else.

The jokester in me wants to say that the quote reads kind of like "please, it wasn't me, I didn't do it, don't hurt me in the pac12 tourney!" ;)

But really, it's a nice quote and though I don't know the kid, from that quote alone it seems like he's got a decent head on his shoulders.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

gumby wrote:Miller and Altman seem to like and respect each other. Miller's been praising him all year.
Are there any other articles from local markets like this where coaches said who they voted for? Would love to see the breakdown.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Oregon's program looking classy today. Definitely needed after the offseason catastrophe.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

FYI: Interested to see how much Miller addresses the superlative snubs, if at all.
Formerly McLurvin
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:
gumby wrote:Miller and Altman seem to like and respect each other. Miller's been praising him all year.
Are there any other articles from local markets like this where coaches said who they voted for? Would love to see the breakdown.
I would be willing to bet that if asked, they'd say they voted for Sean Miller and TJ McConnell. Probably the only time unanimous winners for some reason came in second place. :roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Chicat wrote:
azcat34 wrote:
I would be willing to bet that if asked, they'd say they voted for Sean Miller and TJ McConnell. Probably the only time unanimous winners for some reason came in second place. :roll:
I made the same statement on Scout.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm lost. They won, but others were announced as winners?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:I'm lost. They won, but others were announced as winners?
I'm just saying that few would own up to voting for Young/Altman over TJ/Miller, mainly because they'll be outed as petty little children.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ah, that makes sense. Agree.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hence the near-cognitively dissonant comments by Boyle, Cuonzo and Dawkins in their pressers after getting thumped by the Cats.

Alford, Enfield and Sendek aren't exactly on our Final Four bandwagon either.

And yet they unanimously voted Arizona to be conference champions in the preseason Pac-12 poll. Strange what kind of universe they live in where that is the case, yet it's just because Stanley Johnson is freshman of the year.

Again, more than half this conference coaches are way too into the eye test and ignoring statistics. It's not just a media problem.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

catgrad97 wrote:Hence the near-cognitively dissonant comments .
Careful now, I'm sure there are some ASU grads on these boards.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

catgrad97 wrote:Hence the near-cognitively dissonant comments by Boyle, Cuonzo and Dawkins in their pressers after getting thumped by the Cats.

And yet they unanimously voted Arizona to be conference champions in the preseason Pac-12 poll. Strange what kind of universe they live in where that is the case, yet it's just because Stanley Johnson is freshman of the year.

Again, more than half this conference coaches are way too into the eye test and ignoring statistics. It's not just a media problem.
It's funny; I remember watching Martin's PC after AZ/Cal Thumping 2.0 and noticed he gave no respect to Miller--by name. It was more like "Yeah this is the Number 5 team in the country...this is what they do." Nothing too over the top. Idk if I'm reading too much into that or what. In hindsight; it's obvious to me. I'm an AZ homer though.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

catgrad97 wrote:Hence the near-cognitively dissonant comments by Boyle, Cuonzo and Dawkins in their pressers after getting thumped by the Cats.

Media votes in the pre-season poll.

Agreed with the other comments, there is a lack of respect from the Pac 12 administration down to opposing coaches. I wasn't around for the early Lute years, by the time I was at Arizona he was already the Godfather of the conference (with Monte) and was treated with respect.

Kansas gets a bit of this also. in 11 straight conference titles, they have had only 3 POY. Amusing.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Zero wrote:No centers or PF's I believe. Tallest guy is 6'7
What is wrong with these coaches in our conference?

It is littel wonder at all most of them suck.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ZONACAT wrote:

Media votes in the pre-season poll.

Agreed with the other comments, there is a lack of respect from the Pac 12 administration down to opposing coaches. I wasn't around for the early Lute years, by the time I was at Arizona he was already the Godfather of the conference (with Monte) and was treated with respect.

Kansas gets a bit of this also. in 11 straight conference titles, they have had only 3 POY. Amusing.
There were still a handful of coaches who did not like Lute either. And Lute was at at odds with the conference as well, officiating, deserving players not getting weekly and season awards, etc.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's simple. Arizona is hated. I love the hate.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I often like to get rubbed.
Last edited by Merkin on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Are we the Duke of the west now?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

You can't be Duke of the west and have coeds that look like ours. Pretty sure that would qualify as an unsolvable paradox that could end the universe.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Alieberman wrote:Are we the Duke of the west now?
I think there may be some truth to this.

Being the cbb nut that I am, it doesn't take long after meeting me to figure out I bleed red & blue (if it takes time at all).

And over the last two years especially - Arizona is disliked - period. Across the board. I have friends & have met people from across the west who are college basketball fans & I think the Duke of the west analogy is actually kinda legit. I don't think that's a bad thing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I would love to be the Duke of the west and have our knobs slobbed on all day by ESPN. buuuut they need to care about the west coast first...and we need a few more banners to hang. So let's slow our roll there.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

More like Duke is the Arizona of the east, amirite?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think we need to win a few more Natty's before we can call ourselves the Duke of the West.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

84Cat wrote:I think we need to win a few more Natty's before we can call ourselves the Duke of the West.
I didn't mean to compare our resumes it just seems like we are hated like Duke is hated
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

We are quickly becoming the Duke of the West. That is largely attributed to our large, expansive, passionate and vocal fanbase. If you go to an ESPN story and look at the comments, we are probably only second in number to Kentucky, or maybe third behind Kansas, in terms of general commenting. Our fans got a chip on their shoulders due to the perceived east coast bias, so we are frequently voicing our disgust there, or on twitter to college bball analysts and what not. While we may be justified, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way and makes our fanbase somewhat notorious. Other programs also don't like it when we can go to a place like Ann Arbor, and be so loud that you can hear the "U of A" chants on television, or even overpowering their own chants in the arena.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck all them jealous bitches.
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Must to win!"
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The hate tastes good. I am all for wearing the target loud and proud in Vegas. If the anger that pumps through the fan base ' s collective veins is similar to that of our players (I just assume the coaches are on board), this has the makings of a Primal Scream weekend for Arizona.

I don't want to just win. I want embarassment. I want UCLA. I wish we could play UW just to get them back for Isiah Thomas. And Colorado just for LA (Josiah Turner's lost March). And UCLA. And UCLA.

And UCLA..
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

While I'm happy just to beat UCLA, I really want to beat them by 30. I want Bryce to cry and for Alford to announce he's leaving for Indiana at the post-game presser.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Katzenfreund wrote:
legallykenny wrote:Too bad the conference doesn't have a Referee of the Year award.
It actually does. The Ed T. Rush Memorial Award presented by Oficina de Turismo de Cancún.

This is still cracking me up. So well done.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

nm apparently I suck at searching. The Arizona fans taking over the PAC-12 fb page are truly enjoyable.
Last edited by legallykenny on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hey, how many of those questions you think were asked in the conference's live chat last week with Scott before the Seattle Times finally got through?

This is one of the least transparent, least accountable power conferences in the nation, and it all originates from Larry Scott's drive to "build the brand" of a couple of schools--neither one of which is named Arizona.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

catgrad97 wrote:Hey, how many of those questions you think were asked in the conference's live chat last week with Scott before the Seattle Times finally got through?

This is one of the least transparent, least accountable power conferences in the nation, and it all originates from Larry Scott's drive to "build the brand" of a couple of schools--neither one of which is named Arizona.
Whats the other one?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Phil in the blank.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ucla=basketball
Oregon= football

According to Scott
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Puerco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Puerco wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: We just have different definitions of the criteria of what awards for achievement mean. You're the give everyone a participation ribbon type, I'm more the reward performance beyond expectations and truly amazing achievements considering circumstances kind of guy.
ASUHATER!, you are obviously a very bright and intelligent young man as evidenced by your choice of an institution of higher learning, so you'll have to help me understand the above, because it appears to me - and I'm sure I'm mistaken - but it appears to me that you are claiming that Altman's ability to build a third place team which subsequently self destructs in the offseason and then manages to come in second place the following season is worthy of being rewarded for 'performance beyond expectations and truly amazing achievements considering circumstances', while Miller's ability to build a team which wins back-to-back conference championships during the same period is worthy only of a 'give everyone a participation ribbon type' of recognition.

I'm sure it's just my lack of reading comprehension at play here, but it really does seem like you have it backwards. But surely not. You're obviously much too intelligent to posit such a ridiculous concept. Apologies for misunderstanding your premise.
My pick for coy is Tinkle
Phew. I'm glad I misunderstood you, because the Altman pick would've been unrivalled stupidity. Wait. Tinkle? The guy who led his team to a losing record in conference?

Thanks for playing, Hater. You get a ribbon for your efforts.
Yeah, so about that whole Tinkle for coach of the year idea...?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Heh...
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Young in no way deserves that award.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Young in no way deserves that award.
Altman even less so. His team got skullfucked.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

All ESPN kept talking about was how classy Young is... bullshit. Fuck him and his sleezy coach.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote:All ESPN kept talking about was how classy Young is... bullshit. Fuck him and his sleezy coach.
Classy guys don't try to start a girlie* slap fight under the basket down by 20.

*no offense AZCatGirl
BeetzyB

Post by BeetzyB »

Mighty Joe in 3 games vs Arizona:

15 for 53, 28% shooting. Your Pac 12 POY!