Beachcat97

Re: espn top 50 coaches

Post by Beachcat97 »

Top four should be: 4) Izzo 3) K 2) Donovan 1) Calipari
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Top four should be: 4) Izzo 3) K 2) Donovan 1) Calipari
This is ESPN. You know that they will have Coach K as number one don't you. If not, surprise me!

Your guess is closer to what I think also, but I think ESPN may say:

4 - Donovan
3 - Izzo
2 - Calipari
1 - K
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote:Top four should be: 4) Izzo 3) K 2) Donovan 1) Calipari
i think ESPN will have it end up this way as well.

my non-bias personal top five (6/30/14):

5) Izzo/Self
4) Coach K
3) Pitino
2) Calipari
1) Donovan

mind you, I think Sean Miller and Fred Hoiberg are great season or two away from penetrating the top five.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Olsondogg wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Lol what criticism did Tubby endure exactly his first year? I disparage the Kevin Ollie love and I remain steadfast on my stance that the book is wide open on him and historical evidence is on my side in that regard. Tubby made the Elite 8 a few times after that national title team and went on to accomplish nothing else at Minnesota. The point is would you consider Tubby a top 10 coach at any time of his coaching career like ESPN is apparently ranking Kevin Ollie? Truthfully outside of that one national championship Tubby's time at UK is more similar to Steve Lavin's tenure at UCLA than anything resembling a top 10 coach at any point. I'm truthfully sorry that Tubby got canned for Gillispie, but finishing 6th in the SEC in your 9th year followed by a 4th place finish in your 10th wasn't going to keep that fanbase happy, especially when he finished with double digit losses in half of his 10 seasons there.

Good to know you're friends with Ollie apparently? That at least explains your take completely. Tell him I said hi and he doesn't deserve to be top 10 on any coaching list at this juncture. I hope he doesn't fall the way of Mike Davis or Tubby, but it's more likely he will than not. As it stands Ollie should hang a plaque of Shabazz Napier's face up on his wall and kiss it every day. He and Calhoun made his career.
"Outside of that one national championship"....wait, let me laugh at that while Lute is praised endlessly and rightfully so throughout the UA fanbase. Then you go on to compare Tubby to Lavin, who has only made 1 Elite 8 ever, and has never won ...classic. To defend Tubby, yet again, his 1998 national championship is unique in modern times, as being the only team in over twenty years to win without a first-team All-American or future NBA lottery pick. Also, he went to Minnesota--a team that made the NCAA's exactly once since 1999 and took them 3 times in the next 6 years...

So sorry Gato, that national champs don't matter when you "inherit players". Keep your book open, keep reading it...and let me know when some national championship winning coaches meet your standard.
Oh excuse me I wasn't aware that in 1997 Lute Olson inherited a team from a long time successful coach. Good to know ODogg, thanks for the history lesson. Since when does a coach need to have a lottery pick on his team to win a national championship exactly? That's not exactly that rare, but sure ODogg if you say so. It's not as if Jamaal Magloire and Nazr Mohammed didn't go on to very long NBA careers.
Last edited by ElGatoBlanco on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A lot of these rankings depend on whether you consider who you want for the future, who has the best resume or who the best now is.

Future:
1. Miller
2. Donovan

Resume:
1. K
2. Izzo

Now:
1. Cal
2. Donovan
3. Miller
4. Self/Izzo
5. K
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:A lot of these rankings depend on whether you consider who you want for the future, who has the best resume or who the best now is.

Future:
1. Miller
2. Donovan

Resume:
1. K
2. Izzo

Now:
1. Cal
2. Donovan
3. Miller
4. Self/Izzo
5. K
Great post.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder if Donovan will ever leave UF. Of the guys on this list, he's really the only one not at a "name school," though he's certainly done everything possible to make UF into a name school.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I wonder if Donovan will ever leave UF. Of the guys on this list, he's really the only one not at a "name school," though he's certainly done everything possible to make UF into a name school.
Coaching at a football school has many benefits. I think Donovan gets that.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Lol what criticism did Tubby endure exactly his first year? I disparage the Kevin Ollie love and I remain steadfast on my stance that the book is wide open on him and historical evidence is on my side in that regard. Tubby made the Elite 8 a few times after that national title team and went on to accomplish nothing else at Minnesota. The point is would you consider Tubby a top 10 coach at any time of his coaching career like ESPN is apparently ranking Kevin Ollie? Truthfully outside of that one national championship Tubby's time at UK is more similar to Steve Lavin's tenure at UCLA than anything resembling a top 10 coach at any point. I'm truthfully sorry that Tubby got canned for Gillispie, but finishing 6th in the SEC in your 9th year followed by a 4th place finish in your 10th wasn't going to keep that fanbase happy, especially when he finished with double digit losses in half of his 10 seasons there.

Good to know you're friends with Ollie apparently? That at least explains your take completely. Tell him I said hi and he doesn't deserve to be top 10 on any coaching list at this juncture. I hope he doesn't fall the way of Mike Davis or Tubby, but it's more likely he will than not. As it stands Ollie should hang a plaque of Shabazz Napier's face up on his wall and kiss it every day. He and Calhoun made his career.
"Outside of that one national championship"....wait, let me laugh at that while Lute is praised endlessly and rightfully so throughout the UA fanbase. Then you go on to compare Tubby to Lavin, who has only made 1 Elite 8 ever, and has never won ...classic. To defend Tubby, yet again, his 1998 national championship is unique in modern times, as being the only team in over twenty years to win without a first-team All-American or future NBA lottery pick. Also, he went to Minnesota--a team that made the NCAA's exactly once since 1999 and took them 3 times in the next 6 years...

So sorry Gato, that national champs don't matter when you "inherit players". Keep your book open, keep reading it...and let me know when some national championship winning coaches meet your standard.
Oh excuse me I wasn't aware that in 1997 Lute Olson inherited a team from a long time successful coach. Good to know ODogg, thanks for the history lesson. Since when does a coach need to have a lottery pick on his team to win a national championship exactly? That's not exactly that rare, but sure ODogg if you say so. It's not as if Jamaal Magloire and Nazr Mohammed didn't go on to very long NBA careers.

So tired of your arguing style. We get it. National Championship winning coaches aren't shit if they "inherit" players and their run is not impressive and should be attributed to the coaches before, even if the coaches before them weren't able to do the same thing.

Great argument. Consider me persuaded.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So the top three are Izzo, Donovan, and Calipari. Nice that they got it right.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I wonder if Donovan will ever leave UF. Of the guys on this list, he's really the only one not at a "name school," though he's certainly done everything possible to make UF into a name school.
It does if you're successful imo. Otherwise no one cares and who wants that?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Of the 3 left Calimari will probably be #1 although I don't agree. I would place Izzo #1 but hisrecruiting has been suspect as of late. He'll probably be slotted #3.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

cats101 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Herb Sendek apparently.

(Although calling ASU a football school is a bit of a reach.)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Olsondogg wrote: So tired of your arguing style. We get it. National Championship winning coaches aren't shit if they "inherit" players and their run is not impressive and should be attributed to the coaches before, even if the coaches before them weren't able to do the same thing.

Great argument. Consider me persuaded.
Ugh god ok ODogg. Ollie doesn't deserve everyone sucking his dick at this point is all I was getting at, especially since recent history suggest he's more likely to end up going the route of Tubby Smith. Great point at the end by the way except Jim Calhoun did win with Shabazz Napier before.
Last edited by ElGatoBlanco on Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

I'll just say this, Villanova, injury-depleted ISU, MSU, FLA and 8 seed UK were not juggernauts last year. It was a down year for basketball, and AZ was the clear cut best of the bunch before that horrible injury, and afterward, only the best game of Frank Kaminsky's past, present and future could stop them from cutting down those nets. Miller would have wiped the floor with Ollie, yet Ollie is rated one spot higher than Miller in these rankings. It's a joke. I tend to agree with Gato. Ollie still has a lot to prove. NCAA Tournament results are important but it's a single elimination tournament and doesn't mean nearly everything.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cats101 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Advantages of a football school.

1. No pressure from the fan base. At Kentucky, Cal was feeling some heat this year, and it was less than 2 year after his last championship. At Notre Dame...who coaches them again? Some guy who's been there for a decade, never sniffed a final four and has plenty of job security.
2. Money. Football makes $, and elevates the salaries of other sports.
3. Results. Deliver consistent tourney appearances and you're safe. Donovan won 2 NC's, and I think that alone means he could probably miss the tourney 5 years straight and be fine. If you're Herb Sendek, deliver a first round tourney loss twice a decade and you get an extension.
4. Women don't try to extort you in extramarital abortion schemes. They're after Nick Saban, not Anthony
Grant.
5. You can still win big. You just don't have to deal with crazy pressure if you don't.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

thenewazcats wrote:I'll just say this, Villanova, injury-depleted ISU, MSU, FLA and 8 seed UK were not juggernauts last year. It was a down year for basketball, and AZ was the clear cut best of the bunch before that horrible injury, and afterward, only the best game of Frank Kaminsky's past, present and future could stop them from cutting down those nets. Miller would have wiped the floor with Ollie, yet Ollie is rated one spot higher than Miller in these rankings. It's a joke. I tend to agree with Gato. Ollie still has a lot to prove. NCAA Tournament results are important but it's a single elimination tournament and doesn't mean nearly everything.
I disagree that it was a "down year for basketball". I wholeheartedly disagree with that in fact.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Izzo #3, no surprise
cats101

Post by cats101 »

It does if you're successful imo. Otherwise no one cares and who wants that?[/quote]

1. No pressure from the fan base. At Kentucky, Cal was feeling some heat this year, and it was less than 2 year after his last championship. At Notre Dame...who coaches them again? Some guy who's been there for a decade, never sniffed a final four and has plenty of job security.
3. Results. Deliver consistent tourney appearances and you're safe. Donovan won 2 NC's, and I think that alone means he could probably miss the tourney 5 years straight and be fine. If you're Herb Sendek, deliver a first round tourney loss twice a decade and you get an extension.
4. Women don't try to extort you in extramarital abortion schemes. They're after Nick Saban, not Anthony
Grant.
5. You can still win big. You just don't have to deal with crazy pressure if you don't.[/quote]

Oh I agree to a certain extent. I'm talking from a personal stance.

Besides, who, other than Florida had had a lot of consistent success in basketball? Ohio state? Texas to a lesser extent. OSU gets better support than both of those and went to FFs in the past.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cats101 wrote:It does if you're successful imo. Otherwise no one cares and who wants that?

Grant.
5. You can still win big. You just don't have to deal with crazy pressure if you don't.[/quote]

Oh I agree to a certain extent. I'm talking from a personal stance.

Besides, who, other than Florida had had a lot of consistent success in basketball? Ohio state? Texas to a lesser extent. OSU gets better support than both of those and went to FFs in the past.[/quote]

Texas, OSU, Michigan have all made final fours in the last decade. FSU is a consistent tourney team, as is ND. It's no guarantee, but you can do it. You just don't get fired if you don't.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Olsondogg wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:I'll just say this, Villanova, injury-depleted ISU, MSU, FLA and 8 seed UK were not juggernauts last year. It was a down year for basketball, and AZ was the clear cut best of the bunch before that horrible injury, and afterward, only the best game of Frank Kaminsky's past, present and future could stop them from cutting down those nets. Miller would have wiped the floor with Ollie, yet Ollie is rated one spot higher than Miller in these rankings. It's a joke. I tend to agree with Gato. Ollie still has a lot to prove. NCAA Tournament results are important but it's a single elimination tournament and doesn't mean nearly everything.
I disagree that it was a "down year for basketball". I wholeheartedly disagree with that in fact.
Disagree all you want. UConn was the third-lowest seed in the history of the tournament to win the championship -- and they beat a lower seeded team to do it. A 7 beat an 8 seed for the national championship! How is that an Up Year? A school from a mid major conference earned a 1 seed for the second year in a row and promptly lost, for the second year in a row, on opening weekend. How is that an Up Year? How is that even an average year? I enjoyed the season but it was full of relatively weak teams except for pre-Ashley injury AZ, which honestly was dominant on one end and often ineffective on the other. Please tell me how last year was an Up Year for NCAAB.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

thenewazcats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Disagree all you want. UConn was the third-lowest seed in the history of the tournament to win the championship -- and they beat a lower seeded team to do it. A 7 beat an 8 seed for the national championship! How is that an Up Year? A school from a mid major conference earned a 1 seed for the second year in a row and promptly lost, for the second year in a row, on opening weekend. How is that an Up Year? How is that even an average year? I enjoyed the season but it was full of relatively weak teams except for pre-Ashley injury AZ, which honestly was dominant on one end and often ineffective on the other. Please tell me how last year was an Up Year for NCAAB.
This just made me think about how UCONN is the champion of winning it all in down years for basketball as of late.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:

5) Izzo/Self
4) Coach K
3) Pitino
2) Calipari
1) Donovan

mind you, I think Sean Miller and Fred Hoiberg are great season or two away from penetrating the top five.
well, ESPN and i agree on something
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Donovan had a losing record against Cal.

No one from Florida was drafted this year -- which could be argued both ways.

Those back to back ships must hold a lot of weight, even though ESPNs "formula" for this list has been all over the place. The list is a joke tbh
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cats101 wrote:Donovan had a losing record against Cal.

No one from Florida was drafted this year -- which could be argued both ways.

Those back to back ships must hold a lot of weight, even though ESPNs "formula" for this list has been all over the place. The list is a joke tbh
Donovan has had a checkered record of producing NBA talent. He recruits a lot of talent, but a lot of those guys haven't made it to the next level. Young and Boynton are the two most recent examples.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

97cats wrote:
97cats wrote:

5) Izzo/Self
4) Coach K
3) Pitino
2) Calipari
1) Donovan

well, ESPN and i agree on something
Heading into next season, you would take Izzo or Coach K before Sean Miller? If this is about past success, Miller's way down the list. If this is about ability right now in 2014, I have a hard time leaving Miller out of the top 5 and I don't think that's bias.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cats101 wrote:Izzo #3, no surprise

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I get why some think this is cool, but I hate that.

I guess that makes me a snob or old school, but I want a coach who looks, and acts the part, who appeals to basketball players with basketball tactics, not a character who appeals to juveniles with sophomoric stunts or gimmicks.

All basketball all the time.

No air-balling rappers
No most interesting man spoofs from Assless Chaps and MC Hammer Pants
No motorcycle crashes
No accordion playing KISS
No three ring circus

Just:
Basketball.
&
Community.
Zero

Post by Zero »

Easy to say since we have that guy!

I had fun the one midnight madness here when Tom Arnold and the best damn sports show came but it was not overly cheese as motorcycles and having a bandwagon rapper introduce the coach. That is just weird. The players I am sure love having Drake there but it is so damn weird and cheesy.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I think I would have rather had Newman E Drake there than the Drake they had. His Yodels and Ring Dings go great with a glass of milk for breakfast.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote: hes most arrogant prick in the business --
Frank Martin & Bruce Pearl disagree
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't follow the NBA all that much, so this is kind of surprising. Damn good coach for sure with the results he has had.