Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

'ZONA97

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by 'ZONA97 »

Well I guess 2009 when the Big East had three it proves it has happened. But that year there weren't really any other teams that had comparable résumés to those three teams (Pitt, UConn, Louisville). This season, there are several other teams from other conferences that are worthy.
ChattyPaddy

Post by ChattyPaddy »

I'm all for Duke being a number 1 seed just to watch them be the first 1 seed to lose to a 16.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Let Duke make their early exit as a No. 2 seed. Not at the expense of Arizona or other more deserving team. Kentucky as no. 1 no question. All the other 3 #1 slots could be in the discussion.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Villanova is basically guaranteed the 1 seed in the east.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

'ZONA97 wrote:Someone tell me the last time a team was a #1 seed that didn't win either conference regular season or tournament title, and I'll believe that it can happen.

If you can't win your conference, how can you be one of the four best teams in the country?
Seriously? Have you seen their schedule compared to ours? They lost 1 more game than us, and because of their conference were able to manage about 6 more quality wins. I don't think they are better than us or that it's particularly close, but their resume for a 1 seed is certainly better.

Who cares if they win their conference when they have unbalanced schedule? They would have won the Pac 12 if we switched spots with them and you know it. Only difference is that we would have won the ACC given the chance. It's too bad we didn't get that chance.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I know that Arizona has more top 50 wins than duke and both had top 25 SOS's. And Arizona won conference titles. Should be Arizona.

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
'ZONA97 wrote:Someone tell me the last time a team was a #1 seed that didn't win either conference regular season or tournament title, and I'll believe that it can happen.

If you can't win your conference, how can you be one of the four best teams in the country?
Seriously? Have you seen their schedule compared to ours?
Chicat wrote:
Or maybe I'm wrong...
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Easy solution is ship duke out west as the one with us as the two...that combined with the committee not slotting the zags as west three would be a fine bracket.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Avoid Wisconsin

If we end up as west two, avoid zags as west three

Most of the other situations look pretty good
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:

Seriously? Have you seen their schedule compared to ours? They lost 1 more game than us, and because of their conference were able to manage about 6 more quality wins. I don't think they are better than us or that it's particularly close, but their resume for a 1 seed is certainly better.

Who cares if they win their conference when they have unbalanced schedule? They would have won the Pac 12 if we switched spots with them and you know it. Only difference is that we would have won the ACC given the chance. It's too bad we didn't get that chance.
Yeah, seriously buddy. Slob Dook knob all you want, their résumé is not clearly heads and shoulders better. There is room for discussion, whether you acknowledge it or not.

No #1 seed should EVER lose by 20+ at home to ANY team, let alone a team that is not making the tournament. That's a BAD loss, worse than any of our road losses.

I mean, you're so confident Duke gets a #1 seed over Arizona, I'll take the other side of that. Name the terms.
gumby

Post by gumby »

'ZONA97 wrote:Well I guess 2009 when the Big East had three it proves it has happened. But that year there weren't really any other teams that had comparable résumés to those three teams (Pitt, UConn, Louisville). This season, there are several other teams from other conferences that are worthy.
One of them is Wisconsin, who lost to Duke at home. Don't envy the committee. More deserving teams than 1 seeds available. With Arizona, the argument is: How can a team that lost to three non-tournament teams be a one seed? On the flip side, that makes us undefeated against the field.

Endless ways to frame a justification. Don't remember a year like this.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

SCCats wrote:Easy solution is ship duke out west as the one with us as the two...that combined with the committee not slotting the zags as west three would be a fine bracket.
Agree. Better match up than Wisky.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

'ZONA97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

Yeah, seriously buddy. Slob Dook knob all you want, their résumé is not clearly heads and shoulders better. There is room for discussion, whether you acknowledge it or not.

No #1 seed should EVER lose by 20+ at home to ANY team, let alone a team that is not making the tournament. That's a BAD loss, worse than any of our road losses.

I mean, you're so confident Duke gets a #1 seed over Arizona, I'll take the other side of that. Name the terms.

yeah, the way duke loses certainly does not fit the archetype of a top-seeded team. by the conf/sos logic, ku should be a 1-seed which they clearly are not, even to enfuego. besides, Arizona has a stronger overall sos than uk and nova; and a better conf sos than uk, nova, wisconsin, AND uva.

in either case, i doubt that anyone will feel terribly slighted over not getting a 1-seed. i'm with walton - Arizona should *want* to take on kentucky, wisco, duke, etc., no guts, no glory and so forth. if our guys keep playing like they have down the stretch, we'll be just fine. a wisconsin rematch would be great.

i also seem to remember digger phelps griping on the 97 selection show about how we didn't deserve a 4-seed, and look how that turned out.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

gumby wrote:
SCCats wrote:Easy solution is ship duke out west as the one with us as the two...that combined with the committee not slotting the zags as west three would be a fine bracket.
Agree. Better match up than Wisky.
If we're not the 1-seed, I also agree it should be Duke out West as the weakest 1, with a possible E8 matchup with AZ on the horizon as the 2.

The resumes for all these teams are so similar, Duke hasn't gone above and beyond enough in order to merit the 1-seed in a geographically-friendly region IMO.

I don't think there's any way we get slotted with UK, and I'd like to avoid Wiscy again. Anyone else, fuck 'em, home jerseys or away jerseys, doesn't matter...we're headed to the Final 4.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pokinmik wrote: If we're not the 1-seed, I also agree it should be Duke out West as the weakest 1, with a possible E8 matchup with AZ on the horizon as the 2.

In that scenario, does it really matter who is the 4th ranked team or 5th? Duke as the weakest number 1 out west and UA as the strongest #2 is fine in my book.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i'm looking forward to seeing uk's draw. this might just be my contempt for kentucky basketball speaking, but i'm not convinced that they'll saunter through the tourney like the analysts seem to believe. folks can say what they want about a weak p12, but uk ranks *109* in conf sos. playing in the sec has made the calamaris soft and complacent, ripe for upset.

i guess the nice thing about having a top seed this year is that there's a little bit less of a microscope around "which top seed will fall first?" and much more attention around "who will take out kentucky?" and/or "can uk finish perfect?" takes a little pressure off the non-kentucky 1-seeds, i suppose.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Merkin wrote:
pokinmik wrote: If we're not the 1-seed, I also agree it should be Duke out West as the weakest 1, with a possible E8 matchup with AZ on the horizon as the 2.

In that scenario, does it really matter who is the 4th ranked team or 5th? Duke as the weakest number 1 out west and UA as the strongest #2 is fine in my book.
Nope, I'm with ya.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Lunardi still has Duke as a #1, with them playing the winner of a play-in game.

Does that mean he has them as the 2nd overall #1 seed?

That's fucking stupid.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Hello # 1! Three things:

...MSU leading by 11 with 9 minnies to go.

...We whacked the Quackers.

...If Wisky ends up in the West as 2, we go low post, low post, low post.

xtra. 5 with 5 1/2 to go.

Now 2 with 5 to go. Good grief.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

14-5 runn christ
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Choke job
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Wisky up 3 on K's 3!One minute.

Now tied.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

MSU up 2! 30 s.

Tied 8.8s. Incredible game. MSU ball!

Ofuckin T! Whuh!
Last edited by EOCT on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

They got away w a
Travel, two fouls and an out of bounds on that last play. Total fuuckin horse shit

Dumb fuckin idiots twice got a stop and rebound and threw it away immediately. Shit for brains
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

rgdeuce wrote:They got away w a
Travel, two fouls and an out of bounds on that last play. Total fuuckin horse shit

Dumb fuckin idiots twice got a stop and rebound and threw it away immediately. Shit for brains
it's pretty ridiculous

EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Wisky up 10 and at the line with 1 min to go.

G'bye MSU.

Game now over.

I don't predict often, but I have two Two.

One, we replace either Duke or Wisky for a 1.

Two, Kaminsky gets major, major nook this week.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I just lost all respect for Frank Kaminsky... Dude was trying to catch floating confetti with his mouth. That's a Machina play.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks for nothing MSU.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Still cant get over that choke job/mental breakdown/refs closing their eyes.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

If it's another shot at Wiscy as the 2 in the West - I don't mind a little payback at all.
gumby

Post by gumby »

All this drama for nothing. Committee chair said Wisky would've been the 1 seed, win or lose.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:All this drama for nothing. Committee chair said Wisky would've been the 1 seed, win or lose.
I feel like the committee was lazy and didn't watch much basketball this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep.

They lost the respect of a lot of people this year. The analysts (and the articles will be coming), the fans. A lot of it made no sense. They use eye tests for some teams, and advanced metrics for others with no rhyme or reason. multiple picks were made just off name. For some teams conference tournaments carried huge weight but not for the next team.

And the shit w Wisky was just a joke. When wisky won i said cool, they get a one seed, im alright w that (though i thought we deserved a one). But to learn they could have lost and it didnt matter? Thats pure laziness and a joke.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:All this drama for nothing. Committee chair said Wisky would've been the 1 seed, win or lose.
I feel like the committee was lazy and didn't watch much basketball this year.
Seconded.

I don't know who else said it here, but the committee mailed it in before the conference tournaments and found ways to shoehorn UCLA and IU in.

For the head of a NCAA tournament selection committee to even quote "the eye test" (like Scott Barnes did for the Bruins) as a justification for a seed not only flunks Public Relations 101 but immediately calls your authority into question.

No committee since the field expanded to 64 in the past 30 years has ever publicly defended a seed so ignorantly. The most dubious seeds have at least had one metric to go on. UCLA had three losses in its last seven games.

Might as well just tell America, "We thought they were worthy and just guessed where they should end up." To me, this bracket sends a clear signal that there's more political pressure out there to keep the blue bloods in the field than most of us really understand.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Cats are a #1 seed but they don't mention Ashley leaving.
http://www.dudesonsports.com/2015-16-br ... ology-look
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Where is west regional final? I would take that bracket in a minute
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3goggles wrote:Where is west regional final? I would take that bracket in a minute
Anaheim...just like 1998, 2003, 2011 and 2014

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I can't think of anything more worthless than a too early top 25 now or a March Madness projection.

That said I am still reading all of them! ;)
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Anything but the West region...
And 4 Pac 12 teams in 1 region?

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote:Something to talk about

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
I think I like that bracket and like our chances of making a final four out of it better than either of our last two brackets, with last years' bracket being particularly pointed out for bullshitedness.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Anything but the West region...
Why? You want the team to travel and less fan support? Never mind you strike me as someone who believes in things that are not real like a curse at the Honda Center or the selection committee trying to screw U of A.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:
Why? You want the team to travel and less fan support? Never mind you strike me as someone who believes in things that are not real like a curse at the Honda Center or the selection committee trying to screw U of A.
We've lost 5 straight elite 8s in the west. Time to start believing in curses and magic if I was you.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
We've lost 5 straight elite 8s in the west. Time to start believing in curses and magic if I was you.
Okay Dumbledore
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hey Dumbledore was a great man, I take that as a compliment!

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I am so happy and relieved that UA has never been outplayed or had a off day or just lost to a better team in the West after all these years.

Now we just need to either have Harry Potter come save us from the Voldemort and the spell he put on the Cats. Or maybe President Hart can have Professor Snape come to UA to teach Defense of the Dark Arts
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup.