Time's up, let's do this. It's...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

salim'sheadband

Time's up, let's do this. It's...

Post by salim'sheadband »

SALIM'SHEADBAND'S THIRD ANNUAL COACH POWER RANKINGS

It’s that time again. It’s been a year and change since the last power rankings, the “and change” explained in no small part because Ms. SHB and I added a little SHB and future Wildcat to the family this year. But now, at the dawning of a new age, at the beginning of the 2014-15 season, I have returned to you. My body is ready. My soul is prepared. It is a day of days.

As an aside: in the three years I’ve been doing this, I really, truly feel like it’s more about the journey for me than the destination. Every time I start out thinking “Eh, I’ll bang this out in a couple of days.” And then I start going, and I get to some random coach where I think “Ooh, that’s an interesting stat, let me look that up.” Like what is the most amount of wins a team has ever had without making the Final Four? Or which team had the most efficient offense AND the highest tempo over the last decade? Or wow, really, this coach has never lost fewer than 9 games in a season and I’m about to put him in the top 25? I enjoy it and learn a lot, and even if you disagree with me, I hope you learn something too.

Also, I don’t give a damn about page views or clicks so I’m not going to break this up into 10 chunks or a slideshow that are going to keep you coming back every for more. It’s like 11,000 words so read it all, or don’t.

The Premise:

For the uninitiated, the Power Rankings are the sum total of an elegant premise: Imagine yourself as an athletic director looking to make the best possible hire of a college basketball for your program. You’re unbiased, except to your own job security. You just want the coach who’s going to win you the most games, and the most important games, for the longest amount of time possible.

Because you are the AD of fictional Eastern State Tech University, money is no object, facilities are not a concern, and location is irrelevant because the coach is calling you up. He wants to work for you, in your program. (This means it doesn’t matter that certain coaches get mentioned every year for every job opening but never leave; one of them would be looking for a job if he was calling you.) He’s not promising he’ll stay forever, but again, he's calling you up because he wants to work for you, and he’s leaving wherever he’s at to come do it, so you can assume he’s going to be there for a while. He’ll probably retire around 70. You want him there for as long as you can keep him, because you want to build a legacy and keep your fans happy. Besides, coaching transitions suck.

In the time-honored tradition of Power Rankings everywhere, this isn’t about who is a better coach. There’s probably some coach in Division III or high school that knows more Xs and Os than all of these coaches combined. If you want to argue best pure coach, that’s a story for a different list. The idea is, if you had the coach ranked #20 on the line, and coach #2 called you, you’d hang up right away and get coach #2 in ASAP. Accordingly, this is about which coach you would hire right now, and why, and you need to take all the factors into consideration.

A slight tweak from the last two years: People, fairly, I think, complained that it was unrealistic to rank a coach who was 35 over a coach who was 60, simply because that 35-year-old coach might stay at his program for the rest of his career, when realistically 10 years is more than enough time to build a great program and probably as long as we can expect all but the best coaches to stay at the best programs. Therefore, for the purpose of the Power Rankings we are capping the number of years a coach will only expect to get our new coach for 10 years, and reduce it by one for every year he’s over 60. By the time he’s 70 we can expect that he may retire at any time and should factor that accordingly. Therefore, all coaches 60 and below will be weighed strictly on basketball-related principles. Clear as mud? Good.

So what matters?

This has not changed: Age does still matter. Maybe Coach K is the greatest coach of all time, but would you rather hire him right now with whatever he has left in the tank, or would you rather have 10 guaranteed years of Billy Donovan? As I said, if one coach is 45 and one is 55 and we presume they’ll still both have 10+ years of coaching in them, we will rate them strictly on basketball-related criteria. With that in mind…

Recruiting matters. If you think it doesn’t, I don’t know what to tell you besides I hope you’re keeping your resume updated. This is college basketball. Recruiting is as important as anything else your coach does. I’m not saying it’s the most important thing. But recruiting and coaching are like air and water: it doesn’t really matter which one is more important because you need both to live. If you don’t think recruiting matters, Gary Williams is still unemployed as of this writing, maybe you can hire him.

Finally, if you’re concerned about recruiting violations, call the NCAA. Otherwise, just hire the damn coach. There’s no point arguing about recruiting violations until such time as something is proven.

(Age in parentheses)

Who’s totally out from last year?

These guys are a bit stale and I want to get some fresh meat in there. What most of them have in common is that I would have no problem putting them in, say, the low 20s or high teens if they could just get (back) to a tournament, do some damage, and put a couple 25-win seasons together. Something. Here’s the thing: who, among these potentially successful coaches, would you still hire to coach your program? If you’re going to hire a coach who’s trending down you better get him very cheap or have a fan base with low expectations and a damn good explanation as to why you hired a guy who couldn’t make the tournament regularly at his last job.

Ben Howland (57) (still fired!)

Tubby Smith (63) (I honestly thought he was fired until I saw him wipe out on his motorcycle. I totally forgot that Texas Tech hired him last year. I have nothing more to add).

Travis Ford (44)

New Rule That I’m Making Up Right Now: If, at any point, your team loses seven straight games, you drop out of the Power Rankings the next year. I’m always ready to put him back if he can show that he continues to deserve it. He’s had five 20-win seasons at Oklahoma St., and this should be an interesting year for him, because right now the only thing keeping him from getting fired is his inexplicably massive buyout clause. Let’s just say he and Okie St. are staying together for the kids. Maybe they’ll find that loving feeling and rekindle the flame?

Andy Enfield (45)

See above. Andy may have a decent team at USC this year, and should definitely have one next year. I’m still bullish on him, but can’t justify him anywhere in the rankings until he can do something with a major conference program. Or even with USC.

John Groce (43)

See above. Still looks like a mole rat. Illinois really should be much improved this year from last year’s decent-to-mediocre team, and assuming they are, he’ll be in there. If they are not, we’re going to have to have a chat. With the mole rat.

Dana Altman (56)

Honestly he’s here because I have no clue who’s on Oregon’s roster, and I don’t think anyone else does either. Also, frankly, I don’t see how anyone could hire him to be a leader of young men right now. Fifty-fifty chance my son will be implicated in a gang rape or criminal conspiracy? Where do I sign? Either way, things are going to get worse for Oregon’s basketball program before they get better.

Steve Lavin (49)

I like Steve Lavin. But this is a show-me year for him and St. John’s. Only JaKarr Sampson went pro early, and I guess things worked out for him (of note: if the 76ers want you on their roster, it’s not really a compliment). I know the Big East is still a tough conference but it’s not the Big East of old. They absolutely need to be competitive and make the tournament for Lavin’s second act to really drop anchor.

Frank Martin (48)

Narrowly missed our seven-straight-losses caveat, not that we probably would have put him in anyway because we're in year two at South Carolina and need to see something here. That plus the mounting evidence that he actually IS a supreme asshole and doesn’t just play one on TV, mean we have no idea how hireable he really is. If he can get South Carolina to respectability, we’ll talk.

Mark Turgeon (49)

Maryland is turning into Oregon east, not only through the beneficence and largesse of a famous alum-turned-super-rich-athletic-apparel-company-founding-booster, but with the comings and goings of everyone on their basketball team this year (if not for the same illicit reasons), because I’m not even sure who’s on the damn roster at this point. Here’s what I know: We’re in Year 4, Mark. This is it. I don’t care how hard the B1G is. Make the tournament or you reaaaaaaaaallly, probably should be fired. Williams never missed it 4 years in a row. I don’t care how bare the cupboard was when he left. You live in arguably one of the top 3 or 4 most fertile recruiting beds in the country. Make the tournament. Protect this House.

Anthony Grant (48)

Year six of the Anthony Grant era? Hello? Is this thing on? Oh where does the time go? If you are a Florida fan you should probably thank whatever god(s) you believe in every night that Grant did not end up as the head coach there. I freely admit that I am not as familiar with the intricacies of why Alabama did not have a good year as I could be, but 13-19 in last year’s SEC is terrible and as far as I see it it’s basically been getting worse for the last three years.

Lorenzo Romar (55)

We are now three years and counting without an NCAA tournament appearance. This

feels like it happened in 2004. I’m led to believe that he will have a decent team this year and is bringing in a quietly good recruiting class next year. I’ll believe both when I see them. He’ll be around for a while still, but it’s safe to say the thrill is gone from Count Basie. He and the Washington faithful are not really staying together for the kids, but firmly entrenched in the “We’ve been married for 20 years and it’s just too damn complicated to get divorced, so maybe we can still have sex once a month” phase. Would you hire him to rejuvenate your program if you were the AD anywhere but a Big South or SWAC school?

Matt Painter (44)

Dammit Matt Painter. Two years ago I forgot about you, so the next year to make up for it I overacted by putting you in the top 25 coming off a 16-18 season, and then you go and shit the bed again. So I’m dropping you out until you get your shit together. Rejoice Purdue fans, this probably means you’re in for a great season.

John Thompson (48)

I don’t even know what to do with you anymore JTIII. I know I’m dropping you lower than you probably deserve, but you lost to Northeastern, DePaul, and Seton Hall (TWICE!) last year. And this is after losing to every double-digit seed in the tournament for five out of the last six years. How am I supposed to keep you ranked after that? If the post-season didn’t matter they would just…end the season after the, um, season. How am I supposed to sell any member of my fan base who owns a computer and/or a TV on you? I still wouldn’t want you to coach at ASU but I’d love to play against you in the tournament (Arizona is now destined to lose to Georgtown in the 1 v. 8/9 game next year). I mean, I THINK you deserve to be in the top 25, but you’re not exactly grabbing the bull by the horns here.

Bob Huggins (61)

You’re not getting any younger, and have had crappy teams the last two years. You’ve promised to be better, but sometimes when you’re old and you haven’t exactly lit the world on fire in the NCAA tournament (pouring one out for K-Mart’s leg), a slump can just be the end.

Mike Brey (55)

I wasn’t super complimentary of Mike Brey last year and then Notre Dame got worse. A lot worse. Again, I like Mike Brey personally and I know Jerian Grant had to leave the team but . . . still. The Power Rankings will keep an open mind but I wasn’t high on him before and it’s going to be hard for Brey to fight his way back in there.

Who’s in: Rick Majerus Memorial Honorable Mention Division (in absolutely no particular order so don’t bitch about order)

Larry Brown (73!!!) / Steve Fisher (69) / Jim Boeheim (69)

Like a summertime fling (if a summertime fling ate dinner at 4 p.m. and could also get gout): You know it’s gotta end soon and you’re not gonna marry any of ‘em, but you’re going to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. I don’t have much serious analysis on these guys. I respect the hell out of Steve Fisher, Larry Brown has done the impossible at SMU, and Jim Boeheim is a son of a bitch. I don’t really think anyone would hire any of these guys, but as long as they’re still active, they’ll have a spot in perpetuity in the Rick Majerus Honorable Mention Division of the Power Rankings. Why? Because it pleases me to see their names up there and think of their crusty faces. Boeheim in particular will probably hate-coach his way to 80 and die two weeks after he retires.

Jim Crews (60)

I briefly – very briefly – considered Crews for higher placement, but here’s the problem: he wasn’t a great coach before Saint Louis, he’s been a Mike-Rice-style dickwad in the past (forgot about that, didn’t you?), he’s basically just been the caretaker of what Majerus set up there, and Saint Louis is going to suck this year. If he somehow manages to keep them relevant we may revisit.

Johnny Dawkins (51)

Another Rule I’m Making Up On The Spot: Sorry Johnny Dawkins, but you don’t get to miss the tournament for five years and then get in after one appearance. Even if you do happen to make the Power Rankings happy by beating Kansas in the process. Fortunately for you, in so doing Stanford rewarded you with a 25-year contract extension.

Derek Kellogg (41)

That applies to you too Derek Kellogg, even though you’re younger and definitely have UMass trending up. For a while last year UMass was a team no one wanted to play, and then they became a team that everyone wanted to play. But he’s young and his teams truly play uptempo ball, even if they can be frustrating as hell to watch. Chaz Williams is gone but to listen to people around the program that’s probably a good thing. The always-competitive A-10 is usually good for four or five tournament teams, and if Kellogg can consistently guide UMass to being one of those teams I would expect someone to pull him away from his alma mater sooner than later.

Another thing - you always look sick Derek Kellogg. Get some sleep or shave or stay away from garlic. Something.

Ed Cooley (45)

I was all set to put Ed Cooley in the top 25 because I was sure he had made the tournament at Fairfield, and then I saw he hadn’t, and so I couldn’t break my Johnny Dawkins rule. But he’s right there. He’s a really, really, really great recruiter who has suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with injuries and eligibility the last couple years and still pulled that team together enough to win the Big East tournament and get within a hair of beating Carolina.

Side note: if you do nothing else, please, please, please check out The Bryce Cotton Saga on Card Chronicle. It's a very fun read.

Saul Phillips (42)

Super young and did well at NDSU; has had good offenses; beat darling of the Power Rankings Lon Kruger in the NCAA tournament this year, and apparently is hilarious. Undoubtedly knew he was losing a ton of seniors and got out while the getting was good by going to Ohio this year. If he does well there you better believe a high-major AD will be calling Saul (sorry Bobcat fans and everyone who hates puns). Random fact per KenPom: Did you know NDSU had the lowest percentage of shots blocked on offense last year? If they’d played St. John’s and Oblockpa it would have been unstoppable object v. irresistible force. Or something like that.

Johnny Jones (53)

I’m intrigued. I want to see more than 20 wins at LSU and more than two tournament appearances ever but I’m intrigued. The recruiting is on point. I’ll be watching you Mr. Jones.

Leonard Hamilton (66)

I really like Leonard Hamilton. He’s 66, which I still find impossible to believe, but FSU’s good for beating Duke once every few years – always worth some points. I see them getting, I dunno, a 10 seed this year? I don’t think he’s work his way back into the top 25 short of a miracle but I like you Leonard Hamilton. Just wanted you to know.

Tommy Amaker (49)

Look, here at Arizona we understand all about reclaiming coaches who sucked at Michigan. The thing is, Amaker sucked (or was mediocre-to-bad) at Michigan for six years and never really got better. How does a guy not make the NCAA tournament in six years at Michigan and then make three at Havard? Whatever. What he’s done at Harvard is possibly the greatest building job any coach has done at any program in the last 30 years. I’ll take arguments, but they had gone to one – one – tournament ever before he got there, and it’s not like they added athletic scholarships.

So why just honorable mention? Some coaches are better suited for a certain type of job. I’m not 100% convinced that Amaker is cut out to coach at a high-major program. But Harvard is going to be good again this year; let’s see how far Amaker can push it.

Mark Gottfried (50)

You made three tournaments in three years at NC State Gottfried. We’re cool. There’s going to be a big changing of the guard in the ACC soon that you can take advantage of if you can just hold on a little bit longer. Get to another Sweet Sixteen or something soon and earn your $1.95M a year, and maybe even win NC State’s first ACC regular-season championship since 1989 (!) or tournament championship since 1987 (!!), because if, say, Archie Miller has another good season and you miss the tourney, your seat may be a tad uncomfortable.

Fran McCaffery (55)

He’s in his mid-50s but was well on his way to inclusion before his team, basically, collapsed down the stretch. Most of this was understandable, but the nadir was the particularly egregious loss to Northwestern in the first round of the B1G tournament. I know the B1G is brutal but I don’t think it’s too much to ask that I see him go above .500 in conference play before he can make the top-25?

Mike Anderson (55)

Last year, I told Mike Anderson to win a game away from home. So he won three (four if you count the neutral-site game). I feel like you are only minimally complying with my directives, Mike Anderson, and it’s vexing me a little bit. If we were in construction I would say you were built to code. Still, the team is undoubtedly improving, beat some decent teams last year, and much of last year’s team is coming back. Can I ask for 25 wins, top-four in the pretty bad SEC, and a tournament berth? As if you needed more incentive, a spot in the top-25 of the Power Rankings could be waiting for you if you can get there!

Greg McDermott (49)

I am not ranking you Greg McDermott. Your kid was a really good basketball player who you did not think was good enough to play for you on a team that was never above .500 in your four years there. While that may be a cute anecdote to some, assuming it’s not hyperbole, it actually kind of concerns me. Win some games without him first and we’ll talk.

Larry Krystkowiak (50)

Definitely #1 in the “coach who tries the most to look like their alma mater’s mascot” Power Rankings. Utah’s going to be a top-25 team this year and make the tournament, which is not remarkable given the history of Utah’s basketball program but really remarkable considering how terrible they were when he got hired there. Make the tournament and you’ll be in the top-25 of the Power Rankings. I’ll find a way.

Steve Masiello (37)

Look, all I want to know is . . . how do you walk-on for four years somewhere and not get a degree? That’s all I want to know. I don’t know anything about the Jaspers except they play like Louisville-lite, which obviously makes sense, but it looks like they’re going to lose some seniors and probably take a step back this year. Frankly, he probably got saved from career suicide by not being able to take the South Florida job. Between the fact that his team may be worse for a couple years and Degree-gate we may not hear from Masiello again until he’s 41 or so, at which time he’ll still be plenty young enough to take over a low-major or crappy high-major college program after he pays his penance. See you at DePaul in 2018 Steve.

Archie Miller (35)

Dayton was last year’s winner for team I was most likely to turn on, see their uniforms and play style, and think “I didn’t know we had a game tonight.” Am I overreacting to his Elite Eight appearance? Probably. But he’s suuuuuper young and a very good recruiter, with experience as a high-major point guard and all the chops of his brother. Realistically, you would need to see a couple more good years out of him but he’s well on his way there.

Richard Pitino (32)

Again, super, duper, duper young and more than just his last name. I don’t doubt that he can coach and recruit, but he didn’t win many meaningful games with a team that had a ton of upperclassmen. You might get his next ten years if you hired him, but you probably wouldn’t get his best ten years.

Dave Rose (56)

If I asked you what Dave Rose’s winning percentage was over the last nine years, you would probably say “Who is Dave Rose?” And then I would ask how many fewer games he’s won than Gonzaga in the last nine years, and you would ask “No, seriously, who is Dave Rose?”

The answers to those other questions are 77% and 36, helpfully padded by Gonzaga’s location in a much easier conference for most of that time. Why compare him to Gonzaga? Well they’re both (kinda) in the WCC now, and because it’s useful to see, as we rank Mark Few so highly every year, how many other mid-major coaches fly under the radar, including in my own Power Rankings where Rose has been absent the last two years. Also, because both programs have traditionally specialized in All-O-Mediocre-D over their current coaches’ tenures there.

Anyway, I don’t know if he’ll ever get over “the hump” at BYU, whatever the hump is, unless the next Jabari Parker decides to go to there. In fact, just talking about the hump at BYU is probably an Honor Code violation. Rose probably won’t ever get a 1 seed like Gonzaga so richly deserved got two years ago. His program and recruiting are too stratified. But Rose is good for 26-7 ever year; a good coach who’s made the tournament seven of his nine years at BYU and is going to win many more games while he’s there.

Cuonzo Martin (43)

Ascendant rival to Sean Miller in West Coast recruiting. Look, Cal fans, I know this is the section about Cuonzo Martin but I’m still irritated by Justin Cobbs’s shot last year and I’m going to talk directly and perhaps more harshly than I should to you:

We’ve seen this movie before. We’ve seen Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd and Shareef Abdur-Rahim and the random Pac-(X) players of the year that you always seem to win. You could make a strong argument that you are the third-best program in Pac-(X) history. But this movie ends the same way every time: 22-12 or something like that, a Pac-(X) POTY that ends up playing 91 total minutes in the NBA over the course of his career, a fourth-or-better finish in the conference, and a victory over Oregon. Aggressively unremarkable. In fact, you have not won more than 24 games in a season in over 50 years, which seems literally impossible considering ASU, WSU, and USC all have within the last 10. That’s your glass ceiling unless you can find a coach to get you through it. Now, is Cuonzo Martin that coach? Let’s look objectively.

In fact, Cuonzo does appear to be a good fit within your statutorily mandated 24-win ceiling. He lost nine games in his best season and 12 or more in each of his five other seasons as a head coach. Tennessee had a team that stats geeks loved and eye-testers (including, apparently, the whole Vol fan base) hated. I am a bit of a stat geek so I respect the metrics. He WILL recruit well, and your team will play hard and probably be reasonably successful while he is there. His players loved and respected him enough to defend him for taking another job, which is basically unheard of. But is he a better coach than Montgomery ever was? You’re probably never getting to 30 wins with him, and you’re probably never getting past the Sweet Sixteen with him, and if you’re okay with that, that’s okay with me.

Tim Miles (48)

Nebrasketball! It’s a thing! Okay, so Tim Miles is a cool dude who revitalized (or just flat-out vitalized) a moribund program, but let’s not get too carried away here. That’s all he’s ever done, albeit multiple times. He’s kind of like a neo-John Beilein in that sense, except Beilein did it at better (or more prestigious or resourceful) programs and got way better results. In fact, Miles has won more than 20 games as a head coach only once at any level. Again, he’s coached at some places that were probably impossible to win at and has won at all of them. All I’m asking is, before he jumps into the top tier, we see a little more push from him. Otherwise he’s basically the Doug Collins of college basketball coaches.

Lon Kruger (62)

I wanted to put him in the top 25, but I just can’t. Sorry Winger. You can rhapsodize about him if you want, but he’s too old and he’s done a lot but not enough. He’ll be a steal at UCF when he’s 69.

Steve Alford (49)

Listen. The fact that you find him all the way down here does not mean Steve Alford is JUST outside the top 25. It just means I was putting this off as long as I possibly could. But I am not stupid, so here it goes: I was actually really impressed with the way Alford utilized the UCLA team he had at his disposal this year. To my knowledge, he had never seriously played zone, and did this year; he never had a great, or even really better-than-decent offensive team, and did this year; and he won the Pac-12 tournament (sigh) and made the Sweet Sixteen. I appreciate when a coach plays to a team’s strengths and adapts.

So what negatives are we still looking at? 1) Daddyball (TM BruinsNation – never change you cesspool of hate you); 2) A total changing of the guard this year; 3) Two Sweet Sixteens in 20+ years of coaching; 4) Rape apologist. Did I cover everything? They will PROBABLY not be great this year, but it doesn’t matter because he’s signed through 2042 and he’s bringing in a ton of talent basically every year, so he’s got that going for him. He is also guaranteed to piss me off at least once every two years by winning a game against Arizona, which is all the 400 Bruins fans in Pauley can really ask for (“But have you SEEN the traffic on the 405?”).

Now I need to go wash my hands.

LOS VENTICINCO

25. Rick Barnes

I'm back baby!

24. Josh Pastner (37)

Alright, hear me out. I thought long and hard about whether Pastner truly deserved to be in the top 25 over all the great coaches below (actually above, but you know what I mean) him, even with just getting the next ten years of his career, and not 33 or whatever, as I had weighted it before. I believe that he does. This is not because he’s an Arizona grad. If you are familiar with the relationship between Pastner and Arizona grads you know it’s not all roses and sunshine. Many of us could not stand him when he was here and cannot stand him now. Personally, I’m neutral edging toward annoyance. But leaving that aside, I think there is a strong argument for him over each and every one of those coaches that preceded him in these rankings.

First of all, which, if any, of those coaches are a better recruiter than him? None. Second, which, if any, of those coaches have a better winning percentage than him? None. Third, which, if any, have shown consistency and improvement every year as Pastner has? Probably several, but Pastner’s done everything that’s been asked of him: He won more games every year until he graduated to the AAC this year and took some lumps accordingly; he’s won a tournament game in each of the last two years; he beat four ranked teams this year.

KenPom wrote “In defense of Josh Pastner” which was not really a defense of Josh Pastner but more an indictment of the fallacy that two points here or there – the difference between a win and a loss in games against ranked teams – makes or breaks a coach. Josh Pastner is a 37-year-old coach and prodigious recruiter with 130 wins, a 74% winning percentage, and four tournaments to his name. Maybe Miles or Martin or someone else would have done the same thing in his position, or maybe he would have done worse from a different starting point, but . . . they didn’t, and we’ll never know, and this is where we are. If you are what your record says you, Josh Pastner’s record says that he (together with his aged spirit animal Rick Barnes) deserves to once again ring in the Power Rankings.

23. Tom Crean...
[+] Tom Crean
23. Tom Crean (48)

Another guy I thought long and hard about dropping out altogether. Crean is like the Kurt Warner of college basketball coaches. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him get fired, take an assistant job somewhere for a few years, get hired somewhere else and make another Final Four. On one hand, if Dwyane Wade doesn’t go bonkers on Kentucky once upon a time in 2003 are we even having this conversation? I don’t know. On the other hand, can you really make an objective argument that any of the coaches below him have been demonstrably better, or are any of them likely to be better over the next 10 years?

My biggest problem with Crean is even if you throw out his first THREE years at Indiana, like I did last year, his all-time winning percentage is still below 70% and we’re only looking at 9-7 in the tournament, including the two Sweet Sixteens and a Christmas card to Miami Beach every year, in 12 years of coaching. Good . . . but . . . he really needs to win this year; the Indiana faithful are hungry. The win over Kentucky in 2012 was a special moment and the 1 seed was nice, and two Sweet Sixteens aren’t bad in most places, BUT while they may have been willing to give him a pass for the first few years, one accidental Final Four in 20 years doesn’t cut it in the Hoosier state.]
I wrote this all before everything else happened, and then all that bullshit happened. You’re done Crean. The only questions are who’s going to be replacing you and when.

23. Bo Ryan (66)

This is not sour grapes, I promise you. He’s just too old, and before this year, there wasn’t a lot to suggest that he would ever do more than lose in the Sweet Sixteen.. Again, I don’t care how subjectively “good” of a coach he is in a vacuum. He was either incapable or unwilling to recruit superstar talent to Wisconsin, and even if he was just incapable of doing it we don’t really have anything to judge him on. Would you rather have 4-6 years of Ryan (starting over, mind you – he doesn’t get to bring Kaminsky and Dekker with him) or 10 years of Boyle? Ten years of Cronin? Etc. He’s a great coach who has time to do some great things at his current program, but I don’t know that he’d be able to revitalize yours.

22. Tad Boyle (51)

My man! If attitude reflects leadership, as Julius Campbell told us before he turned to a life of crime in West Baltimore, Colorado’s leader is a bit of a whiner. Dinwiddie says Arizona's not elite; Xavier Johnson says we'll lose by 20 in Boulder; Josh Scott likens playing in McKale to playing at Colorado St. Sure. And that comes from somewhere. Even if that's what you believe, keep it in house, prove it on the court, and take your lumps like a man. Moving forward, it was a crushing blow for Colorado to lose Dinwiddie last year and disappointing for the whole conference, as the team was going to be extremely good before that happened, with wins against Kansas, Oregon, and Harvard, and losses to still-intact Oklahoma St. and Baylor. Instead they plateaued at simply pretty good.

Just to dispel one myth: friends don’t let friends tell people that Boyle plays uptempo. I think most people, especially those of us who watched his first season, expected his offenses to be better than they’ve been. He looked for all intents and purposes like he was cut from the same cloth as Roy Williams in that offensive mold, but neither his tempo nor his offensive possessions have ever been anything remarkable, and besides that one year and outside of transition, his efficiency and half-court offenses have actually been quite bad. On the other hand, his teams’ defenses have been quite good. He’s been a fine, not great, recruiter, although he doesn’t have much of a regional base to draw from and he’s had to overcome the inherent disadvantages that building a program entails. Regardless, I think Boyle’s a very good coach, but there is no objective reason to rank him over the next guy in the list, although there is still plenty of time for him to do great things at Colorado.

21. Mick Cronin (43)

Mick Cronin has done an exemplary job at Cincinnati, basically getting better every year, which I maintain is all you can ask of a coach. He’s been to a Sweet Sixteen and a four straight tournaments overall. But damn do his teams suck on offense. I mean they’re just really, really bad. And they don’t even look pretty like Colorado at least does sometimes. If you’re betting on Cincinnati, take the under. Free money.

I don’t want to hear any crap about his defense – I know his defenses are good, but it’s not about having good defense, which they always do, or being deliberate, or whatever. It’s “real” basketball. It’s not “superior” basketball. It’s just bad offense.

And here’s the problem with that. You see, if I’m an AD and I’m investing millions of dollars in a coach to save my program, you better believe that I’m spending $20 on KenPom to check some offensive efficiency. Cronin’s offenses have NEVER been good. I might be inclined to rank him higher if he had ever demonstrated a capacity for better offense. Sean Miller and Tony Bennett are the two packline coaches who are not exactly known as offensive gurus, but both at least have shown flashes of real offensive success. Bennett’s had two offenses in the top-30, while Miller’s had three in the top-10 and five in the top-20, never dipping below 90.

Cronin, on the other hand. The BEST AdjO he’s had for any team he’s coached has been 53rd. Yeesh. Why does this matter? Because history has not been kind to teams that have those splits when they get to the tournament. In fact, it’s been very, very bad. Your ceiling is almost certainly a Final Four, and even then everything has to break perfectly. More realistically you’re going to be the 4 getting beaten by the 13 in the first round. And that sucks. Good defense, tough-minded basketball, some conference championships here and there because everyone knows everyone’s styles and you can really gum up the works, but realistically, not a ton of tournament success. That’s what I see with Mick Cronin until I see otherwise.

20. Jamie Dixon (48)

I try not to say the same things about these guys every year, but goddamn does it get hard looking over Jamie Dixon’s record year after year and seeing the same shit over and over again and having to come up with fresh material. To steal a line from Bill Simmons about John Stockton, having Jamie Dixon as your coach is like 20 straight years of missionary-style sex with your wife. Yeah, you’re getting laid regularly, but you’re not exactly bragging about it to your friends either. He never plays anyone out of conference. He never makes any noise in the tournament. He looks exactly the same as he did 10 years ago. And I think slowly, slowly, those jobs that he might have been offered once upon a time are going to start drying up. I’m not saying Pitt has to be a stepping stone - he’s obviously cool with just being the head coach there. But I either want him to go to a Final Four next year or lose 25 games. Go Hollywood.
Turn heel. Break bad. Start doing cocaine and wearing sunglasses indoors. Something. No news is bad news. Make me interested Jamie Dixon.

19. Mark Few (51)

See: Dixon, Jaime. Had the 1 seed two years ago that everyone said they deserved and gakked. Gakked hard in 2006. Gak gak gak. Make an Elite Eight or you’re out, Mark. Your OOC is unusually poopy this year, but you’ve got SMU. You’ve got UCLA and Saint Joes. We’ve got a date on December 6th. You have your deepest, best team since you’ve been there. Cut the bullshit and make a damn Elite Eight.

18. Jay Wright (51)

Hey Jay Wright! After the last two years I wasn’t sure if we’d be keeping you around. Nah, never mind that you lost to UConn, no one else did either. I won’t hold that against you. You’ve still got your recruiting chops and I actually thought last year was one of your finer coaching jobs; I mean you basically had a team of midgets that could beat anyone but Creighton, apparently. I just don’t know that your teams ever do anything REMARKABLY well. Does that matter? I crushed Cronin above for being a “splitter”. You’ve had a couple good runs in the NCAA tournament and I would be mildly surprised if you never made another Final Four.

17. Fred Hoiberg (42)

I’m probably going to rustle some jimmies over the order here but look, I know the prevailing wisdom is that Hoiberg is, like, the greatest coach in the world, and will hand pick his NBA job when he deigns to, and will dominate the world of basketball from now until a time hitherto unknown, and we will circle-jerk over him until we run out of coconut oil, but let’s slow our rolls here a little bit. In four season in the Big 12, he’s never finished better than 3rd. He got a 3 seed last year and who knows if he would have gone farther if Niang hadn’t gotten hurt and spared us all a lot of UConn-fan chest-thumping, but he didn’t. UConn beat Florida and Michigan St. and Kentucky, and even though they definitely caught a break with Niang being out, I’m still not prepared to say it would have been anything more than 50-50; forget seeds and rankings, both teams were almost perfectly in equipoise in their metrics before that happened. Either way, Niang was hurt and UConn won, so we’ll never know.

Here’s what we still don’t know about Hoiberg: 1) Can he build a sustainable program with four-year players? I mean the guy sits on a throne of transfers, and he’s been either very good or very lucky with them so far, but you only have to whiff on one to have it completely tear apart your season. 2) Can he actually recruit? Non-transfer recruiting thus far? Lackluster. If you want to talk about Xs and Os, I’d ask: 3) Will his teams play defense ever? This is a fair question. The offense has been sublime, but 54th was Iowa St.’s best ranking in AdjD in 2012. A super-duper-great coach should be able to handle both sides of the ball, right? Moreover, if the underlying problems have to do with recruiting, that still goes back to him, doesn’t it? And finally, 4) Was he the only member of the 2002-03 Chicago Bulls who did not smoke pot? As yet unanswered.

Just so we’re clear, I think Hoiberg is a great coach; I have him ranked 17th for a reason. Besides that, in our fictional AD world, we’re not worried about him going to the NBA for about 10 years or so, so that’s not really a consideration, but you still need to see these objective factors and there are a lot of questions for a guy who seems to be almost universally considered to be one of the greatest coaches in college basketball today. I would like to see those questions answered before I move him much past this point in our rankings.

16. Scott Drew (44)

Ugh, I don’t have the strength to defend Scott Drew anymore, so I’ll try to make this brief and objective: Great on offense, mediocre-to-inexplicable on defense. Two Elite Eights and maybe a “lucky” charge call away from a Final Four (Don’t believe me? Ask Brian Zoubek). Objectively just as good as or better than Hoiberg in every statistical category (including wins and tournament wins and appearances). Now, his recruiting seems to have fallen off a bit – maybe the word’s out on him being a “bad” coach? As far as actual tournament performance he’s like the Star Trek movies: all the odd ones suck, and because this is an odd year (and, more seriously, because he lost a lot of players and because his new recruits won’t be great) I expect him to miss the tournament. If he does and otherwise keeps trending downish I promise I’ll drop him, otherwise let’s just agree to disagree and move on.

15. Tony Bennett (45)

So fresh and so clean clean. Tony Bennett is always so well put-together, isn’t he? I love his no-tie look, open at the throat. He’s great. You know we went up to Wazzu in 2007 and Washington St., perennial Pac doormat before (and since, quite frankly) beat us in OT. Then they beat us at home later in the year! And I thought to myself, "This guy can really coach. He still plays his dad’s defense but they can score now too."

When he took the Virginia job I thought “Really?” It seemed like a recipe for career suicide. I mean, Virginia’s certainly had some success in the past, but for about ten years when most of his recruits’ parents were probably ten. Competing with Tobacco Road in your conference and with Maryland and Georgetown regionally for recruits is a whole different story. And that’s when I sort of forgot about Tony Bennett.

But wouldn’t you know, he won the ACC regular season and tournament championship this year and went and got a 1 seed. I wasn’t totally surprised that they lost in the Sweet Sixteen. Usually you have to knock on that door a couple times before it opens for you, but it will for him. He’s bringing in a higher level of talent than he’s arguably ever coached, with players who contend for ACC player of the year every year, amazing defense, and enough offense to get the job done. There will be a changing of the guard in the ACC in the next few years: Roy, K, Pitino, and Boeheim will all be gone. Which coach and program are best poised to take advantage of it? Every empire falls, and in my opinion, smart money for the next great success among current ACC coaches and programs is on Tony Bennett and the Hoos.

14. Roy Williams (64) / Mike Krzyzewski (67)

These are the two guys I always hear the most about. Let me say this again:

THIS IS NOT A LIST OF BEST COACHES. THIS IS A LIST OF WHAT COACHES YOU WOULD HIRE RIGHT NOW. STOP TELLING ME MIKE KRZYZEWSKI IS THE BEST COACH OF ALL TIME AND YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW HE’S NOT NUMBER 1 ON THIS LIST. I DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW YOU CAN’T READ. STOP DOING IT. I DON’T CARE. MAKE YOUR OWN LIST. THANK YOU.

I figured I’d just write about these guys together since their careers are so intertwined at this point. You would definitely hire one of these guys to coach your program, but you wouldn’t hire them over any of the next thirteen guys. K is just too old. Unless you’re hiring for USA Basketball, he’s probably not going to give you enough years. No lock for a Final Four at this point (“only” one in the last 10 years); in fact, fewer Elite Eights than first round losses in the last 10 years, if you can believe that. The one-and-done trend has not been kind to him (see: Rivers, Austin; Parker, Jabari), and what happened to that defense we knew and loved so much? God knows the Dukies were annoying slapping the floor, but damn if they weren’t effective. Maybe he’ll buck his one-and-done trend luck this year with Okafor/Jones/Winslow, but if he doesn’t have time to build, and he doesn’t win with one-and-dones (or without LeBron James), where does that leave you? Hiring a legend, but probably not in time to make the difference anyone would hope he could.

As for Roy, again, we’re just looking at a decline with no evidence suggesting he’ll pull out of it. What’s that, you fairly ask? He’s only 64, there’s still time, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and you may be right. But for him to win a national championship, he would be bucking an unkind trend: only three coaches 64 and older have ever won a national championship. Their names are familiar and they are legend: Calhoun (68), Allen (66), Wooden (64) (K was 63 in 2010). A veritable who’s who of the greatest coaches of all time. Roy is certainly right up there with them but here’s the problem: each of these coaches had been established at his respective program for at least 25 years at this point. Even if you go further down the list – Olson, Smith, Tarkanian – it doesn’t change. Coaching is a young man’s or an old legend’s profession. Roy could still win another national championship at Carolina, but he would be unlikely to win one at your school, which is really the rub.

Please, please, please don’t misunderstand me. I have all the respect in the world for both of these coaches and their legacies. I sure wouldn’t want to meet either of them in, say, the Elite Eight. I think both of them were absolute Zen-level masters at one particular half of the basketball court, K on defense and Roy on offense. Roy’s 2009 team, in particular, I think could make an argument for being the best offensive team of the last 25 years, and I base that both on what my eyes told me at the time and what the stats tell me now. K’s 2002 team makes a strong argument for best team to never win a title. But we’re now into coaches ranked 14th and higher. If you are hiring this coach, the ceiling needs to be national championship, and I am not convinced, based on both the historical data and the slight downward trend for each over the last few years, that either K or Roy could provide that at any school other than their current one.

13. Shaka Smart (37)

The first casualty of our ten-year rule (as opposed to having the coach for life, which gave really young coaches like Shaka a huge boost). What are you waiting for Mr. Smart? Louisville? That’s my bet. Remember when you were going to be the next coach at Marquette? Those were the days. Right now, we're just kind of waiting, waiting, waiting for the next big thing to happen. Let's shore up that half-court offense and make another Elite Eight Shaka.

12. Buzz Williams (42)

What happened last year Marquette fans? I honestly can’t tell. I know you guys lost a few players but at least a couple outlets had you picked to do well in the new Big East, so it wasn’t as though it was a complete rebuilding year. It looked like you guys played tight in almost every game, you lost a bunch of OT games that obviously could have gone either way, and your metrics weren’t horrible? It’s not necessarily…typical…for an elite coach to just randomly have a season like that, but most of the best have been afflicted at one time or another so I’m not going to hold it against him too much.

Oh, by the way, it was really, really weird when Buzz Williams got hired by Virginia Tech. Really weird. We can all agree on that I hope. I get it, there was some AD stuff, low expectations, etc. That’s all fine. But it was still weird as hell. Past that, basically everything I wrote about Tony Bennett goes here for Williams. Why is he higher than Bennett? Better seeds, better tournament success. And one more thing:

Between Marquette’s forgettable season and Buzz taking over at Virginia Tech, I anticipate we won’t be hearing much from Buzz in a while. So consider this maybe a bit of an overranking, and he’ll drop for a few years, and then one day we’ll look up and Buzz will have Virginia Tech rolling and be winning a shitload of games 49-45 and be 22-5 and on his way to a three seed in the tournament and we’ll all say, “Oh yeah, that dude can coach.”

Unless the Texas job opens first.

11. John Beilein (61)

“Okay,” now you’re thinking, especially if you’re a Duke or Carolina fan, “Now you’re really pissing me off. You’ve got Beilein ahead of K and Roy? He’s only three years younger than Roy is!" Fair, totally fair. Here's why I would hire Beilein over Roy Williams RIGHT NOW to coach my team: a proven recent history of 1) rebuilding programs to an elite level, and 2) he is putting dudes in the NBA left and right. The longer he coaches the more he reminds me of Olson, with his offenses and proliferation of talent, and I see many more great things heading his way if he sticks for a bit.

10. Gregg Marshall (51)

Ok, you may fairly ask, why is Gregg Marshall behind Sean Miller and Bruce Pearl? A just question. Here’s why: Yes, Gregg Marshall has a Final Four, but he did it as a 9 seed, and then next year turned that around and lost as a 1. Most importantly, the Big South and Missouri Valley Conference are not big boy basketball, and if you compare what Miller and Pearl have done at power conferences, and the teams they've beaten to do it, in addition to their recruiting prowess, I think you have to put Miller and Pearl first. Sean Miller has a better career winning percentage despite coaching in the A-10 and Pac-12, and a better tournament winning percentage, that Final Four notwithstanding, even if you throw out ALL his first-round losses at Winthrop (and keep the win over Notre Dame). Pearl's is literally one one-thousandth behind Marshall.

Of course, you chime in with the undefeated season. I get it, I get it, the undefeated season was special, and if it were that easy, everyone would do it. Heard it before. On the other hand, Wichita St. played in a really crappy conference and lost the only game that really mattered to them to the only really good team they played.

Don’t misunderstand me, Wichita St. fans! I like your program! You and your coach needle the Jayhawks, which is always a plus in the eyes of the Power Rankings! This is a matter of degrees and shades. I have no doubt Marshall would be fantastic at a power conference - I would never, ever, ever want him coaching at UCLA, or God forbid, ASU gets their shit together and throws like $2.5 million at him. But the bottom line is, he hasn’t done it in a power conference, and while there’s still time for him to be the next John Beilein or Lute Olson, there’s also still plenty of time for him to be the next Phil Martelli too.

9. Bruce Pearl (54)

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE! I know, he's really divisive, but let's please not forget that he's also a really good basketball coach, a hilarious dude, a giant killer, and a monster recruiter. Arguably his best season was torpedoed when his best player got cancer, and he came within 1.8 seconds of a Final Four in 2010. I don't have a lot to say because he's like Hillary Clinton at this point - people who love him love him, people who hate him hate him, and there's nothing we don't know about him. He is who he is. Personally, I love him, and I'd be ecstatic to hire Bruce Pearl to coach my program, whether it was Arizona or anywhere else.

8. Sean Miller (45)

This is always the toughest one for me. How do you fairly evaluate your own school’s coach, whom you know so much better than any other coach? Is this even a fair spot for him? Is he too high or too low? Is he just a recruiter? (Funny, because I remember when he was “just a coach” too.)

Here’s the thing. If I were the neutral, non-U of A graduate AD of State Tech, and I told my president or fan base that I’d hired Miller over any of the guys below him, they’d should properly be thrilled. If I told them I hired Miller when Izzo/Ollie/Matta/Pitino, etc. was available, they’d probably say something like “Oh, we could have gotten Izzo…?”

And that’s fair. That’s totally fair. Because the reason Sean Miller is still behind these other seven guys is that, at the tender age of 45, he is now saddled with the coaching equivalent of the franchise tag: the label of “Best Coach to Never Make a Final Four.” How do we feel about that, Coach?

“I actually embrace it[.]”

How do you not love that? He said the same thing about Arizona being ranked number 1 for so much of the year last year. No BS coachspeak about how they don’t pay attention or how they don’t care or how it doesn’t matter, and on the other hand, none about how it’s the most amazing thing ever. It exists, we acknowledge it, and it doesn’t change anything that we do. Honor the process and be grateful for what you obtain through honoring the process.

As the article Sean Miller was quoted in notes, you cannot possibly get closer than Sean Miller has been to the Final Four without making it. A blowout loss in the Elite Eight against UCLA in 2008 with Xavier was his first taste, and two one-possession losses with Arizona in 2011 and 2014. Outside of the Elite Eight we have the near-upsets of 4+ higher seeds of Ohio St. in 2007 and, um, Ohio St. in 2013, plus the shellacking of Duke in 2011. Trust me, you don’t want any part of Miller in the NCAA tournament. So unless you think Sean Miller is cut from the same cloth as Gene Keady (who never won more than 30 games in a season, something Sean Miller has already done three times) and John Chaney (who spent the last half of his career basically treading water in the Atlantic-10), he’s going different places than those guys ever did. Miller’s already done more than Keady did in his first 13 years at Purdue, and at the point in Chaney’s career at Temple where he basically started to go downhill, Miller appears to just be getting started. Better analogies would be Bill Self or Jim Calhoun, both of whom had to knock on the door a few times before getting through, and both of whom are doing or did just fine when their time finally came.

I’ve posted “Sean Miller facts” in other fora. You can look them up for yourself or you can take my word for it, but the facts are these: Sean Miller is on statistical pace to become one of the greatest coaches in the history of college basketball. He has coached teams with both elite offenses and defenses (although, regrettably, not at the same time). He has coached All-Americans and role players, five stars and three stars to the NBA. I guess two or three people out there might say Sean Miller “chokes,” except before this season he’d never lost to a lower seeded team in the NCAA tournament, in the Elite Eight and even this was the thinnest of upsets by the slimmest of margins to a great coach, a great team, and without a key player. To say that is intellectually lazy.

A more pointed criticism might be: If Arizona has the best recruiting this side of Kentucky, where are the three Final Fours that Kentucky has had in the last 4 years? Trust me, we’d like them too. Until you actually look at the rankings and the talent differential between the 1 and 2 recruiters and you understand that the classes Miller has brought in, while great, didn’t have Anthony Davis and John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins. Now, in the last two years, Miller has actually had better seasons than Cal has had with his talent at Kentucky (save that little national title appearance). So maybe the difference isn’t so great as we’re lead to believe; this season will be interesting to watch unfold as far as that goes.

Is Miller too tight? Does he need to just let his players play, whatever that means? Here’s what I’d tell Miller if I hired him: don’t change a damn thing. Miller knows pressure. He embraces it. He was born and bred for this. He knocked on the door in 2008. He pounded on it in 2011. He almost bashed it in in 2014. He’s 45, he’s the second best recruiter in the country, and soon, I believe with all of my heart, he’s going to blow that door off its hinges and make everyone forget we had this conversation.

Until then, though, I can’t rank him in front of any of the next seven guys.

7. Tom Izzo (59)

Michigan St. fans, I have some bad news for you: Tom Izzo has stopped recruiting (TM Winger). I mean this isn’t really true. Obviously he was in on Jabari Parker, James Young, and others I’m sure I’m forgetting. But really, Michigan St.’s recruiting has taken a serious dive. He’s only had two players drafted in the last seven years. And while you can’t really complain about the on-court product, I feel like Izzo’s slowly turning into Gary Williams. Don’t forget how much talent was on his three straight Final Four teams. There’s just too many good coaches in the B1G and in the rest of the country; you can only “outcoach” everyone for so long.

Like I said, you can’t really complain about the on-court product – we’re only two years removed from a national title game and another Final Four besides that. So it's all good. He’s fine, we’re fine, everything’s fine. Probably.

6. Thad Matta (47)

I really feel like Thad Matta is the Rodney Dangerfield of elite coaches among the common man/fan. I mean what more does the guy have to do? He’s got a .768 career winning percentage; he’s been to two Final Fours; he’s an incredible recruiter; he’s done most of this in no worse than the second best basketball conference in the country; he’s got 377 wins in 14 years of coaching and he’s 47 years old. I'm not going to say anything else about him, but what more do you want?

(continued below)
Last edited by salim'sheadband on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
salim'sheadband

Re: Time's up, let's do this. It's...

5. Kevin Ollie (41)

How do you solve a problem like Kevin Ollie? Where do you put a guy after two regular seasons of fairly nondescript basketball and one of the flukiest national championships of all time? If not the flukiest it’s gotta be right up there with Villanova in 1988, NC State in 1983…maybe Arizona in 1997? But Rollie Massimino and Jim Valvano both had 10 years of coaching before their wins and although no one would call them “elite” coaches, they certainly fielded competitive teams; Olson, for his part, had three Final Fours. (By the way, TIL Rollie Massimino is STILL coaching, at an NAIA school called Northwood. They played Kentucky in an exhibition in 2012; that same year they went to the NAIA Division II championship game, losing to Oregon Tech. You learn all kinds of interesting stuff doing this.)

So where does Kevin Ollie fit in? The only two coaches with less head coaching experience to win a national championship in college basketball were Steve Fisher and Ed Jucker. Both of those guys went onto two other championship games and distinguished coaching careers (although Jucker was all over the map with his), so the precedent there is actually fairly good.

Also, how much credit do we give to him? He took over a team that didn’t necessarily have the star power of, say, a Kentucky, but nevertheless had a ton of talent on it that, as an assistant coach, he was at least partially responsible for accumulating. On the one hand, this year’s UConn team was by far the worst team in recorded history in terms of metrics to win the national championship, and it’s not even close. Before the tournament started they were 80th in AdjO. Ouch. Their rebounding numbers were just on this side of really, really bad. They weren’t even a dark-horse’s dark horse. They weren’t a poor-man’s poor man. If you’re going to give credit to the coach for the good, they must assume credit for the bad.

On the other hand, they made up for their offensive deficiencies by having arguably the best backcourt in the country (even The King noticed, comparing them to another notable backcourt) and an elite defense. One area on offense where UConn was sublime was free throw shooting, but they didn’t attempt nearly as many free throws as you would have liked, considering how well they could shoot them - at least until the first four games of the tournament. What they did do was control the ball and put the games in the hands of arguably the best two players on the court at any given time. And without a doubt, they were an elite defensive team, especially in terms of opponents’ two-point jumper percentage and in protecting the rim. That’s coaching too.

The bottom line is there’s no way to properly qualify or quantify Kevin Ollie. If you’re hiring him in our hypothetical he’s not going to jump to the NBA, so, as with Hoiberg, we can throw that out the window. If UConn gets knocked out against St. Joes, he’s just another coach on the rise with basically the same profile as a Josh Pastner (don’t yell at me, look up the numbers). Of course, they didn’t, and won a championship, and Ollie will forever and deservedly be part of that elite company of few who have. I have no doubt he will be an elite recruiter as the head of UConn, and he brings with him a legitimacy and cache, as a former NBA player, that few other coaches can match. He’s black and grew up in south-central LA, which has to matter when he’s sitting in the living room of another similarly situated recruit: “This is who I am; this is who you can become.” The coming years may render this placement foolish, but I doubt it. Ollie is as well-equipped as any coach to become legendary, and I have no problem placing him here. If you were an AD and hired him, you’d be knocking one out of Yankee Stadium. Given a little more time, maybe he’ll pass the next four guys too.

4. Bill Self (51)

I don’t like Bill Self. I don’t like Kansas. I make no bones about that. But I’m going to try to be fair about this. There’s a reason Self is number 4 on this list, behind three other guys who have multiple championships and no fewer than four Final Fours apiece, so don’t get all up in my shit, Kansas fans. Remarkably consistent. More conference championships than home losses. No one’s disputing his coaching chops.

(…you know it’s coming)

But.

In his 11 years at Kansas, Self has never had lower than a 4 seed. In five of those 11 years, he has lost to teams seeded 14, 13, 11, 10, and 9 – with the 9 seed loss arguably being the worst one. That’s…not great. I feel like there’s something missing here that I can’t put my finger on, and if you’re a Kansas fan, and you’re honest with yourself, I think you’re asking yourself the same question too. Even once we got past the 14-13 Bradley-Bucknell debacle in his early years, these concerns have lingered. And the worst part is they’ve lingered when he’s had really, really freaking good teams.

Kansas fans, I’m not overtly trying to rub your nose in your pain. Trust me, we older Arizona fans know all about it. Yet these are fair questions that must be asked if you have a choice of hiring one of the next three guys over him. Now, would it just have been better for him to make the NIT like Billy Donovan did twice or Calipari in 2013? For his ten straight conference championships and run of unbelievable regular seasons he’s a victim of his own success in a lot of ways, but he got those 1 seeds by having really good teams, and when you have really good teams you shouldn’t lose 45% of your tournament games to really mediocre teams.

This is how I would feel as a Kansas fan, but at some point, I would start to wonder if this is just “who he is” and if I would be permanently paranoid that the 11 seed hovering in my sub-region would be my kryptonite. Are the Self-era Jayhawks college basketball’s Atlanta Braves? It takes nothing away from what he does. I’m 97% positive that if I hire Bill Self, he brings me and my fanbase a Final Four within the next 10 years. But I’m 100% positive one of the next three would.

3. Rick Pitino (62)

Rick Pitino’s amazing, isn’t he? He’s a bad dude. He’s up here because I’m 100% convinced that the next 8 seasons of Rick Pitino’s career at a new locale would be better than the next 10 of any of the coaches below him. 100% convinced. I think one of the greatest “what-ifs” in college basketball are what if he’d never gone to the NBA? Twice? Where would be on wins lists? Championship lists? Where would he have taken Kentucky? Not that they’re complaining, right?

Neither is Rick. Like another scion of the New York City metropolitan area, he did it his way. He became the only college basketball coach to win national championships at two different schools in 2013. If you hired him, he could become the only coach to win three, which in our hypothetical world would be a virtually unbreakable distinction. He’s a legend with a lot left in the tank, but the next two guys would probably – probably – be just a bit better for a bit longer.

2. Billy Donovan (49)

“Finally” got back to another Final Four this year after three straight Elite Eights (which is either really good or really annoying, or both, depending on your perspective). He hasn’t been as consistently awesome in the regular season as a Bill Self – after all, there was a five year stretch there where he was NIT, NIT, 10 seed, 2 seed, 7 seed, which just so happened to be after two national championships so we’ll cut him some slack. On the other hand, like a Calhoun, his highs are arguably higher. Would you rather have four Final Fours or ten straight conference championships? C’mon KU fans. Be honest with me and yourselves. You know which you would pick.

1. John Calipari (55)

So this was cute. Last year I put Calipari at #1; then, the following colloquy occurred:

I think we all know what happened after that.

As a wise man said, you come at the king, you best not miss.

Three Final Fours in the last four years; four in the last seven. One national championship. Player in every major recruitment. The bottom line is that if you hire John Calipari you hire the coach best-equipped to bring your program a national championship, and that’s what you want, isn’t it?

This is John Calipari.

And this is me.

And this is the 2014-15 college basketball season. Welcome back everyone.
Last edited by salim'sheadband on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

If only I had rep to spread. . .

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Epic...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I love reading these every year. I always learn something and get a different perspective on some coaches I normally wouldn't think much of.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

hot dayummm
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My favorite start-of-the-season reading material. Can't wait to sit down with this.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Been waiting for this and you didn't disappoint. BTFD!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

When the dust settles with this place, it's articles like these I'd like to promote as blog items via twitter with appropriate hashtags, increasing SHB's notoriety and this sites prominence.

Love it, man!

Thanks for the contribution!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Not that it helps with this post, but I've updated the post settings so your epics will now fit into a single post. Sorry bout the limit.
salim'sheadband

Thank you all, and thanks JMJ, it wasn't that onerous and I don't know when I'll be making another post this long again, haha. This was 11,000 words, which is unreal, basically.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I can't believe it took me until fucking Tuesday to see this. I haven't even read it yet. I watched the Monty Python intro (love it) & was so excited I had to post pre-reading. I haven't even read the replies so sorry if this next bit is redundant (I'm sure it is.)

THANK YOU for doing this again SHB! This is one of my favorite threads to read at the beginning of the CBB season for the last couple years. Hell - the fact that it's about all (but one) other teams/coaches - that's incredible.

You are a gentleman & a scholar.

Catch you all in a couple hours; which is how long this is going to take me to digest considering I'm sitting down at work to take it in so I'll have distractions...
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

"In fact, just talking about the hump at BYU is probably an Honor Code violation"

My favorite line in a post that was full of them. Muchos Gracias Amigo. That was fantastic as always.
michcat

Post by michcat »

The basketball season has now officially begun...
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

A+

And that might be shortchanging him
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Superb write up as always.

Without going back to check, I think I commented about a remark about Kentucky going 40-0 last year. Their team, supposedly capable of going 40-0, was 2 points better than us against Wisconsin - and we didn't have a vital player. Whatever.

I'm not sold on this years Kentucky team either, two 'top-ten' platoons and they can't beat the Dominican Republic because they are 'tired'? They'll win games and go deep in the tourney, but there is something suspiciously soft about them, and Cal's teams in general, methinks.

And I think you have Cal ranked exactly where he belongs.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dang Tubby.

He was on my short list to replace Lute too.

Great stuff SHB, always bringing it.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

SHB you are amazing. A pleasure to read.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If this thread doesn't put this site on the first page of your engine's search, nothing will.

SHB can gladly have all my Arizona national title memorabilia after I die. The future is in good hands with him.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I appreciate all the work, and so much good stuff in there SHB. But you lost me...and you know where.

I'll let you change it though...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just amazing stuff SHB and how many you called right.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

One of the great write-ups on the World Wide Web.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Stop. Doing. This. For. Free.

As always, tremendous stuff, SHB.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Hey SHB, will you be doing an analysis post-season vs. your pre-season ratings? Would be curious to read that as well....maybe just a short one? Anyways, epic post!

P.S. You may want to consider renaming the thread to something more obvious....I totally missed it until now! :-(
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

SHB is like the overall 1 seed when it comes to starting topics on the forum.
salim'sheadband

Haha nice bump.

Re-reading this. Goddamn I nailed a lot of this shit. Bennett was too low.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Nice.

Enfield way too high.

Donovan gets a silent pass. Surprised not a peep out of the media. That's elite.
salim'sheadband

Bosy Billups wrote:Nice.

Enfield way too high.

Donovan gets a silent pass. Surprised not a peep out of the media. That's elite.
How is Enfield too high? I said he was out.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Good bump. Good re-read. A belated well-done to you Mr. SHB, and congrats on the sprog. Hadn't realized.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well done again SHB:

16. Scott Drew (44)

Ugh, I don’t have the strength to defend Scott Drew anymore, so I’ll try to make this brief and objective: Great on offense, mediocre-to-inexplicable on defense. Two Elite Eights and maybe a “lucky” charge call away from a Final Four (Don’t believe me? Ask Brian Zoubek). Objectively just as good as or better than Hoiberg in every statistical category (including wins and tournament wins and appearances). Now, his recruiting seems to have fallen off a bit – maybe the word’s out on him being a “bad” coach? As far as actual tournament performance he’s like the Star Trek movies: all the odd ones suck, and because this is an odd year (and, more seriously, because he lost a lot of players and because his new recruits won’t be great) I expect him to miss the tournament. If he does and otherwise keeps trending downish I promise I’ll drop him, otherwise let’s just agree to disagree and move on.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Is it worse to miss the tournament altogether or to lose in the first round as a #3 seed? (You'd think I would know, but it's been a looong time since we had to put up with that, and I've expunged it from my memory)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
salim'sheadband

Thanks guys.

Hoiberg too!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Is it worse to miss the tournament altogether or to lose in the first round as a #3 seed? (You'd think I would know, but it's been a looong time since we had to put up with that, and I've expunged it from my memory)
Depends on the expectations. A rebuilding year is a rebuilding year. But if you've got a good team and you can't coach them up enough to make the tourney that's MUCH worse than playing well all year and getting caught by an underdog team that gets hot one night.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I've always thought being in the tournament and losing early was far better than not making it. Being in the top percentage of teams by way of selection is better than not being there.

So our worst years were losing in the first round. Other programs worst years were not coming close to .500. Every year, we had the regular season with plenty of wins and excitement. And that was worth a lot more than the Santa Claras/ETSUs could take away, Feeling wiped out/crushed over a 1st round loss is a part of the emotion of the game, and can only be there because you felt the emotion to the high side during the year. Going 12-17 and doing nothing is like one big non-year. Who cares? Nothing on the line. No emotion.

Always rather be in the position to lose than not be there at all....