Gabriel MF York!

Post by gumby »

Which one was Russell again?
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Re: Gabriel MF York!

Post by UAEebs86 »

That zero
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Backcourt won the game.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

They only covered one team on the broadcast. Barely knew who Yorkville was
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Love Gabe!!!!

HUUUUUUUUUUGE game today
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Katzenfreund wrote:One of his best games in an Arizona uniform.
I would say best and most important
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

#YorkmothafuckinCity

Somebody give his girlfriend a high 5 if you see her on campus lol
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Gabe keeps nailing 3s and we'll do magical things.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:Backcourt won the game.
Yep. Front court and stanley were MIA on the offensive end. Huge games by these guys
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

The kid has been absolutely huge in the second half of this season, and today was fitting. He was f***ing nails, and while it was his biggest game - it was not the first time. Where have all the haters gone? Even the self-proclaimed player defender...

This kid is a huge part of this team... Thank God he ignored all the bulls**t calls for his transfer and criticism. Was today's game big enough?

I love this kid's attitude and his play....keep it up. I guess Miller does know what he is doing.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Gabe hit some big shots today. Huge!

York scored 19 points with 5-for-9 three-point shooting, making four of his threes after UA took just a 26-25 halftime lead, while McConnell was at his best throughout the game with 19 points on 8-for-13 shooting, six assists, five steals and just one assist.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... f98ca.html
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Earned the de facto incumbent starting 2 as a senior today.

Pitts' three and late defense and fts were also important, but Gabe York got the Cats to L.A. today.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Surprise
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Somebody said York was a liability on defense. He proved them wrong today.

Somebody said York was a pure three point shooter and couldn't make shots inside. He proved them wrong today. Did you see that play where he dribbled into the key, was locked down just above the arc, made a 270 degree twist, bent over and tossed up a shot from about knee height, and scored it (can't remember if he drew a foul there or not)? That's not making your own shot? Pull-eeze!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With Trier coming in to start at the 2, I wonder if York is the 2015/6 starting PG over PJC?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:With Trier coming in to start at the 2, I wonder if York is the 2015/6 starting PG over PJC?
He did play some point in the 2nd half.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

tourney 'stache, approved!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

York said he plays better when he's not running the point. Hopefully PJC will be up to the task next year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
etank34

Post by etank34 »

Merkin wrote:With Trier coming in to start at the 2, I wonder if York is the 2015/6 starting PG over PJC?
That's quite the assumption.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Love, Love, Love Gabe York. He persevered, hung in when he didn't get much PT at all in his freshman year. Now he is a HUGE part of this team's success. Love his dedication, love his character, love his attitude.

Oh, yeah, also love his game. He is well on his way to becoming one of my all time favorite Wildcats.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

etank34 wrote:

About Trier? No insider knowledge, but I would bet 5 pfennings he will be the starting 2G. You don't keep the best scorer in the 2015 class on the bench the first 4 minutes.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
etank34 wrote:

About Trier? No insider knowledge, but I would bet 5 pfennings he will be the starting 2G. You don't keep the best scorer in the 2015 class on the bench the first 4 minutes.

I could see us going with a 3 guard lineup (PJC, York, Trier), with Ristic and Anderson.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
az91

Post by az91 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
etank34 wrote:

I could see us going with a 3 guard lineup (PJC, York, Trier), with Ristic and Anderson.
Ristic doesn't play defense well enough to be a starter on a Miller Arizona team.
etank34

Post by etank34 »

Merkin wrote:
etank34 wrote:

A senior who knows the system and has improved on defense versus a freshman who isn't known for defense? It is Miller we're talking about here.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

etank34 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
etank34 wrote:

A senior who knows the system and has improved on defense versus a freshman who isn't known for defense? It is Miller we're talking about here.
A one and done future NBAer vs. a 4 year future Euro player?

How much defense did Stanley Johnson play at the start of this season? I don't think Trier is a Danny Bejarano.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Stanley has his lapses but hes been a solid defender all year, especially by freshman standards.

No way York does not start next year
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

Trier is NOT a sure fire one and done by any means. Certainly not a lottery lock like Stanley. Two completely different situations.
gumby

Post by gumby »

There was a game today. York was clutch. Ok, back to speculating about next year.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Pitts should start over Gabe next year
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:Pitts should start over Gabe next year
"He's one of the best players you will see." -- Ashley on Kadeem Allen. (On Twitter today )
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Does it matter if he starts? York will play and make his mark.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

It would be a very nice surprise if Allen is a great scorer off the bench next year. Even though we have 4-5 guys that can play the sg position next year..
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

#yorkallworld!!!

So happy for the guy, finally it's all coming together. Keep proving the haters wrong Gabe!!!
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

The thing that makes me happy is the incredible improvement in his passing. Earlier this season and in his career, you could always could on him to throw a few ducks that would be intercepted by the other team. He has grown tremendously in that regard.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Katzenfreund wrote:One of his best games in an Arizona uniform.
Not a doubt about it. Stellar.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

York was one of the few players who didn't stall the ball two seasons ago. His assist/TO ratio last year was elite. At one point late in the season, he had yet to turn over the ball more than once in a game. So the knock against his passing is unfounded.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Only reason we're alive - any zone defense beats us unless York is 'on'
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

thenewazcats wrote:York was one of the few players who didn't stall the ball two seasons ago. His assist/TO ratio last year was elite. At one point late in the season, he had yet to turn over the ball more than once in a game. So the knock against his passing is unfounded.
Exactly... Lots of selective memories being utilized to justify previous positions.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RiseAndFire wrote:Only reason we're alive - any zone defense beats us unless York is 'on'
Good thing a Miller didn't listen to all the advice offered to him by many on this board over much of the last 2 seasons; otherwise, York would be out of the program right now.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I was a "hater", I guess, for much of the year. I was absolutely frustrated by Gabe's inability to ever make a shot when it mattered...lots of 3s early and late in 20 pt blowouts.

That was then...this is now. He clearly is playing better. Much better. And he was only the 2nd best player on the floor today because TJ had such an incredible game. This is the Gabe that kept being alluded to...best shooter, etc. Whatever it is he shook in his personal life, or took off his shoulders, or whatever, it is working. I don't think anyone doubted he had the ability...but there were plenty, myself included, who wondered if he would ever realize it in a meaningful way.

Today was Gabe saying "I got this". The last few weeks have been leading up to this moment for him.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

EVCat wrote:I was a "hater", I guess, for much of the year. I was absolutely frustrated by Gabe's inability to ever make a shot when it mattered...lots of 3s early and late in 20 pt blowouts.

That was then...this is now. He clearly is playing better. Much better. And he was only the 2nd best player on the floor today because TJ had such an incredible game. This is the Gabe that kept being alluded to...best shooter, etc. Whatever it is he shook in his personal life, or took off his shoulders, or whatever, it is working. I don't think anyone doubted he had the ability...but there were plenty, myself included, who wondered if he would ever realize it in a meaningful way.

Today was Gabe saying "I got this". The last few weeks have been leading up to this moment for him.
word on the street is he got a girlfriend and deleted his Facebook
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

RiseAndFire wrote:Only reason we're alive - any zone defense beats us unless York is 'on'
??? I must have missed it. We've won 33 games so either:

All were exclusively man-to-man against us? or

York is going to be national POY since he has single-handedly carried the team and been on every game against the zones?

:lol:
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Good thing a Miller didn't listen to all the advice offered to him by many on this board over much of the last 2 seasons; otherwise, York would be out of the program right now.
Lol, what are you talking about? That axe is being ground pretty fine.

Of course there was some discontent about York. This fanbase has expressed discontent about any player not named Sean Elliot or Steve Kerr. York's gotten his share, but he's no Kyle Fogg or Jordin Mayes.

Stop with the melodrama and enjoy the win.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ASUCatFan wrote:The thing that makes me happy is the incredible improvement in his passing. Earlier this season and in his career, you could always could on him to throw a few ducks that would be intercepted by the other team. He has grown tremendously in that regard.
I was shocked and pleasantly surprised that York was handling the ball when we were running clock at the end of the game - WITH TJ on the floor. And he did a great job. OSU couldn't keep him out of the paint, and he didn't turn the ball over. Great job at the end to top off a stellar shooting night.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

etank34 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
etank34 wrote:

And it's not like York wasn't highly rated either. Wasn't he a four star and top 50 recruit out of high school?
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Go away troll.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Puerco wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
Lol, what are you talking about? That axe is being ground pretty fine.

Of course there was some discontent about York. This fanbase has expressed discontent about any player not named Sean Elliot or Steve Kerr. York's gotten his share, but he's no Kyle Fogg or Jordin Mayes.

Stop with the melodrama and enjoy the win.
I don't think that's melodrama. Discontent stemming from impatience, disagreement regarding his career path, whatever, stirred up this line of thinking from some that York should transfer. It's been frustrating to argue against that firm belief for those who believed in and were willing to wait for him to work through his developmental curve.

The fanbase does exercise patience with young players, but only certain players, and the cut off is determined by talent level. In this case, some believed York had talent meriting patience, others did not. I think it's fair to bark now. We don't make predictions and debate topics only to ignore the results once they're in. Nothing wrong with beating your chest as long as you take your lumps when wrong.

My line on York was that he would be the most electric scorer AZ has had since Salim. That's not saying he would be Salim, but the most electric since, whatever that means. He hasn't realized that title, but he's getting closer, and I would give him a good shot of earning it next year if we weren't adding Trier, who will likely immediately claim that title.

Regardless of where anyone stood on York, the fact is that he is now a major asset for this team as a sixth man, which is something I'm sure we all appreciate.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Harvey Specter wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:York was one of the few players who didn't stall the ball two seasons ago. His assist/TO ratio last year was elite. At one point late in the season, he had yet to turn over the ball more than once in a game. So the knock against his passing is unfounded.
Exactly... Lots of selective memories being utilized to justify previous positions.

I never publicly stated a previous opinion. His numbers may have been good, but he threw at least one lazy long pass per game which resulted in a turnover. Sometimes more. I was giving the kids props for working on that. I think he's been solid for the past month or so in that regard.

I'm related to a D1 Athlete playing a high profile sport and a major conference school. I don't go online and criticize players when they're struggling because I know how that feels as a family member. That said, I stand by my assertion that York was prone to throwing lazy passes and that he has obviously worked hard to fix the problem.