Staples Center Parking

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Luuuuuuuute

Staples Center Parking

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

I'll be driving to LA from Phoenix on Thursday and hope someone can give me some tips on parking at or near Staples Center. My plan is to arrive early afternoon, drop the wife and kids and grandma off at our condo right across the street from Disneyland, then head to Staples.

The site I bought my game ticket from (axs.com) has an offer for $40 parking for both games (I assume anyway, since it says "All session"). I've found some other parking lots within a mile for quite a bit less that say spots are available, but when I click to reserve they say there are no spots available.

Those of you familiar with the area, any tips on what to do? Is it best to reserve a spot in advance, or see what's available when I get there, keeping in mind I'm totally unfamiliar with the area and don't want to drive around forever looking for parking at the risk of getting lost. Is $20 a game at the Staples lot worth it, or is that a nightmare to get in and out of? What other parking options are there in the area? I don't mind parking a mile or more away, but I don't know the area and don't want to be walking through a terrible area by myself late at night after the game. I looked into bus/train routes but they seem way too confusing and it doesn't look like there are many options returning late at night after the game.

Bonus points if you can give me the best route to take from Anaheim to Staples mid-afternoon. I'm hoping to leave Anaheim by 3:00 at the latest. I know I'll hit traffic and am planning for a 2-hour trek. If by chance someone is heading to the game from the Anaheim area and wants to carpool, let me know :).

BEAR DOWN!
UAdevil

Re: Staples Center Parking

Post by UAdevil »

Pay lot just north of the Hotel Figueroa. Good security.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

There are private lots/homes that you might consider (a couple of blocks away). Better deal if you can get it. (won't be as much congestion?) I wouldn't walk a mile though, not having been to that area in a while, so not sure about the demographics anymore.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

The two times I have gone I've parked in a 7ish story garage next (just south?) to the Palm restaurant. It's a two block walk at most & I want to say I paid $10 each time...but maybe it was $20? Anyway...I felt like parking was rather easy. Best of luck. I'm jealous!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My standard SoCal warning:

Avoid Inglewood. They're always up to no good.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i usually take the subway in, so i don't have any specific parking recommendations but $40 with in/out for both games sounds pretty good. there are a lot of parking options nearby so no need to reserve if it's a hassle. the walkable radius around staples is pretty safe, though it might be better to look north and east (but west of broadway-ish). also check out at the event lots at LA Live.

if you have time to burn, another option might be to park around the arts district or historic core (much better food/drinking options) and hop a cab or train over to staples.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Luckily booked a condo just down the street so Ill be walking, flagging down a pedi-cab or taking Uber. Assigned parking spots there so no help to you sorry

How about good bars/restaurants nearby?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

If you are walking to Staples Center from Inglewood, you're in for a long, dangerous night.

Here is what's around the Staples Center

http://www.lalive.com/
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i'm not too crazy about the bars/restaurants next to staples.the best thing that LA Live had going for it was that it had a trader vic's, but it's closed now.

based on zero knowledge of what you might like or be looking for, i'd recommend walking or riding a few blocks to the historic core/little tokyo/arts district, where there are lots and lots of options:

- bar ama - awesome mexican/tex-mex food + drinks
- cole's (or philippe's) - origin of the french dip sandwich. bar in the backroom accessible thru secret panel
- mas malo - mexican food, tequila bar in an old basement bank vault (and fancy whiskey bar upstairs - cant remember its name, sorry)
- wurstkuche - fancy hotdogs and beer
- pie hole - pies/coffee/dessert
- angel city brewery - beer + games (darts, cornhole, jenga, board games, etc.)
- 82 - oldschool arcade/bar
- blue bottle - coffee
- orochon - ramen
- redbird - fancypants ca cuisine
- bottega louie - italian/pastries
- kazunori - sushi/handroll bar
- ace hotel bar
- standard hotel biergaarten
- one-eyed gypsy - bar, free skee-ball
- cana rum society - private club, open after hours - go during happy hour to get a free "membership"
- perch - rooftop bar/grill
- faith & flower - brunch
- jist - brunch/pancakes
- nickel diner - old-timey burlesque theatre turned brunch cafe
- famima!! - japanese style convenience store
- grand central market - pretty much a huge food court

uhh yeah, there's kind of a lot to choose from. haha. i'm sure the other LA ppl here have their own recs, too.

if by chance you're vegetarian or vegan, i can give you a nice list of places to go check out.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

n.b. i was about to mention the minor heatwave (90+ degrees) that's expected starting thursday, but figured the arizonans probably wouldn't even notice it :lol:
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll park at Union Station and take a train from there to Staples. Is Union Station pretty easy to find and get to? Or are there a series of one-way streets you have to navigate around, etc.?

Thanks again! Can't wait for tomorrow!

BEAR DOWN!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:My standard SoCal warning:

Avoid Inglewood. They're always up to no good.
Some of my favorite stories from my father are of him and his drunk/pothead buddies and their shenanigans in Inglewood after they get out of Lakers games. He said it is much safer now than it was back then too.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I have some friends that live in a pretty bad part of Inglewood. But it's nowhere near as scary as it was in the 90s. Not even close.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
prh

Post by prh »

I'm staying at a hotel thats 0.8 miles from Staples in downtown. I was planning on walking to/from the games, is that a bad idea? I would think that with so many people around for the tourney it would be alright.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAdevil wrote:I have some friends that live in a pretty bad part of Inglewood. But it's nowhere near as scary as it was in the 90s. Not even close.
You calling 2Pac a liar? He was quite specific that Inglewood is ALWAYS up to no good.

Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

prh wrote:I'm staying at a hotel thats 0.8 miles from Staples in downtown. I was planning on walking to/from the games, is that a bad idea? I would think that with so many people around for the tourney it would be alright.
Depends. Which hotel? If you're on the Figueroa corridor north of I-10 you're probably good to go. When I go to downtown LA (at least once a year) to I visit friends and hang out I walk a lot. Once I walked from the Miako Hotel in Little Tokyo all the way to LA Live and was not in fear for my life or anything like that. If you're west of 110 or south of 10, I wouldn't walk. lol.
prh

Post by prh »

UAdevil wrote:
prh wrote:I'm staying at a hotel thats 0.8 miles from Staples in downtown. I was planning on walking to/from the games, is that a bad idea? I would think that with so many people around for the tourney it would be alright.
Depends. Which hotel? If you're on the Figueroa corridor north of I-10 you're probably good to go. When I go to downtown LA (at least once a year) to I visit friends and hang out I walk a lot. Once I walked from the Miako Hotel in Little Tokyo all the way to LA Live and was not in fear for my life or anything like that. If you're west of 110 or south of 10, I wouldn't walk. lol.
Historic Mayfair, 1256 W 7th St. Should I be looking to switch?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Ah, from there it's such a short distance I'd not be concerned, especially if you're not alone.
prh

Post by prh »

UAdevil wrote:Ah, from there it's such a short distance I'd not be concerned, especially if you're not alone.
Thanks, that is what I was hoping. I went for a cheaper hotel, since flights and tickets were enough already. I was about to make a personal size comparison to PJC, but his UA bio says 5'10/160. I thought he's around 5'7? And he looks thinner than a rail too.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

Sounds like we should all just meet at Jefe's condo and walk from there as a group. :)

Looking forward to seeing all of my Wildcat brothers and sisters at Staples tomorrow!

BEAR DOWN!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Unfortunately that place wound up not working out. Literally across the street. Check out the view from the patio:

Almost got this place but the view was the best part about it

So now we have a house in Long Beach. Gotta make the trek up from the 405/710. 710N faster around 3pm?

Drive/Uber/Public Trans?

Blue Line through Compton at 10pm? ehhhh
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hell of a breakdown dirtbags, thanks!

Gotta find a speakeasy or two
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

crap Boyz II Men tomorrow night at LA Live. Anyone want my S16 tickets? ;)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:crap Boyz II Men tomorrow night at LA Live. Anyone want my S16 tickets? ;)
I hope Xavier finds the end of the road. When the water runs dry for them, it'll be hard to say goodbye to yesterday, when Sean Miller was theirs.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:crap Boyz II Men tomorrow night at LA Live. Anyone want my S16 tickets? ;)
Boyz II Men was in Vegas the weekend of the PAC 12 tournament, too.

Anyone know a nostalgia R&B booking agent in Indianapolis?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

daaaaaaamn, jefe - is that all thru airbnb or what?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Jefe wrote:Unfortunately that place wound up not working out. Literally across the street. Check out the view from the patio:

Almost got this place but the view was the best part about it

So now we have a house in Long Beach. Gotta make the trek up from the 405/710. 710N faster around 3pm?

Drive/Uber/Public Trans?

Blue Line through Compton at 10pm? ehhhh
No traffic in LA, or so I've been told by people who visit occasionally :)

Where at in Long Beach? 3 PM on a Thursday? There isn't really a nice way to go, but I'd probably drive up the 110 but it's been a couple years since I've made that trek
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Easy to do there. You make that early right before Staples heading east on Figueroa and wind up in Compton.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dirtbags wrote:

Did he hire a Uber driver to get back?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catgrad97 wrote:Easy to do there. You make that early right before Staples heading east on Figueroa and wind up in Compton.
Compton is almost 12 miles from Staples Center