Gabriel MF York!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Gabriel MF York!

Post by rgdeuce »

I get that, and I am not singling you out individually. There's been nights where I have yelled out for him to "stop shooting the f---king ball." But this team needs what he brings because nobody else is bringing that element. You have to take the good with the bad with that. I fully expect him to end the season above 40 percent from deep. That's one good. The spacing and everything else he provides, that's another. Teams have to know where Gabe is at all times. You cant say that about anyone else on our team at this point. That's another. And when he hits, he singlehandedly can bring you back in a game or put a game away, and he can do that in a minute's time. He can be more efficient, certainly. He can make better decisions, certainly. But this is his first time in this role. If he isnt the man on this team, he is number 2, and many teams probably treat him like he is our number 1. He isnt guy number 5 that can hide somewhere while Zeus, Bash, Stanley, AG, Nick, TJ, or Rondae do their thing, waiting for that wide open look off one of their passes .I think things continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable in this new role and as the rest of the team gets healthy and improves.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:He was also 2-8 from 3 in the other two games in CA.

Look, he's a good shooter...and can hit for a good percentage. But not every shot he takes is a good shot (and he's far from the only one putting up some bad shots).

I like when he hits a 3, when it goes in. But I like more when the second 3 he takes right after that made one, goes in. Cause that's the thing. If Gabe hits, another is going up right after. I think he makes our team better for the most part, I just wish he had some better decision making. That's all.

Oh and I think Tolly has been improving over the past couple of games. I like him off the bench, and Trier starting for the rest of the year.
Agreed on all points.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

rgdeuce wrote:I get that, and I am not singling you out individually. There's been nights where I have yelled out for him to "stop shooting the f---king ball." But this team needs what he brings because nobody else is bringing that element. You have to take the good with the bad with that. I fully expect him to end the season above 40 percent from deep. That's one good. The spacing and everything else he provides, that's another. Teams have to know where Gabe is at all times. You cant say that about anyone else on our team at this point. That's another. And when he hits, he singlehandedly can bring you back in a game or put a game away, and he can do that in a minute's time. He can be more efficient, certainly. He can make better decisions, certainly. But this is his first time in this role. If he isnt the man on this team, he is number 2, and many teams probably treat him like he is our number 1. He isnt guy number 5 that can hide somewhere while Zeus, Bash, Stanley, AG, Nick, TJ, or Rondae do their thing, waiting for that wide open look off one of their passes .I think things continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable in this new role and as the rest of the team gets healthy and improves.

Gabe needs to take shots for sure. It's like at this time last year, when TJ was not taking a whole lot of shots nobody would respect him on defense and would just leave him open, knowing he wasn't going to take it. Once he started taking more shots, he developed into the POY for the conference (Yes he was).

I think "roles" or "leaders" or "alphas" on teams are overrated. I get that there needs to be some fire in a player, or someone needs to call out a player on the floor from time to time. But you know who the fucking grade A leader, alpha dog on this team is?

Sean Miller.

Always has been, always will be.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The biggest thing I'd ask from Gabe is to exercise restraint when he's missing. He has a tendency to shoot early 3's a lot. When they go in, it's fine. When they don't, we can stagnate like against Santa Clara. They're shots where we have no rebounding set up and can lead to transition opportunities for the opposition.

97 had a good post about his game against Gonzaga. His hot streak won it, but exclude that and he was only decent. In the long term, the streaks won't always be there. Gabe's long term value derives from his ability to manage games when he doesn't hit those streaks and still be effective.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Olsondogg wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I get that, and I am not singling you out individually. There's been nights where I have yelled out for him to "stop shooting the f---king ball." But this team needs what he brings because nobody else is bringing that element. You have to take the good with the bad with that. I fully expect him to end the season above 40 percent from deep. That's one good. The spacing and everything else he provides, that's another. Teams have to know where Gabe is at all times. You cant say that about anyone else on our team at this point. That's another. And when he hits, he singlehandedly can bring you back in a game or put a game away, and he can do that in a minute's time. He can be more efficient, certainly. He can make better decisions, certainly. But this is his first time in this role. If he isnt the man on this team, he is number 2, and many teams probably treat him like he is our number 1. He isnt guy number 5 that can hide somewhere while Zeus, Bash, Stanley, AG, Nick, TJ, or Rondae do their thing, waiting for that wide open look off one of their passes .I think things continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable in this new role and as the rest of the team gets healthy and improves.

Gabe needs to take shots for sure. It's like at this time last year, when TJ was not taking a whole lot of shots nobody would respect him on defense and would just leave him open, knowing he wasn't going to take it. Once he started taking more shots, he developed into the POY for the conference (Yes he was).

I think "roles" or "leaders" or "alphas" on teams are overrated. I get that there needs to be some fire in a player, or someone needs to call out a player on the floor from time to time. But you know who the fucking grade A leader, alpha dog on this team is?

Sean Miller.

Always has been, always will be.
I'm not looking at this from an Alpha standpoint though. Im purely looking at what needs to happen on the floor period. I dont think Gabe is an Alpha, but he has been pushed into that role out of necessity and done a pretty good job, especially given his limitations, newness to that "role", especially when you throw away the one game we all wish we could. Ryan Anderson is this team's alpha, unfortunately, he is a certain type of player so his alpha is limited to being a bruiser inside, cleaning up the glass and putting the ball in the basket. His "will" is infectious and should not be underappreciated, but again, he is limited, and we need some of those Gabe York bricks anyhow for him to be most effective.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'll try and forgive you for saying we need Gabe York bricks.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

3! 3! Old-fashioned 3!
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:3! 3! Old-fashioned 3!
Did not call bank.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Pop-a-shot 3!
eoe

Post by eoe »

Clutch once again (however we are missing FTs in crunch time once again)
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He turns it on when we need it the most. Plus:
Well done. 8-)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote:He turns it on when we need it the most. Plus:
Well done. 8-)
He's within striking distance of Jet...

Salim Stoudamire - 342
Jason Gardner - 318
Damon Stoudamire - 282
Jason Terry - 193
Kyle Fogg - 193
Matt Othick - 191
Chase Budinger - 190
Khalid Reeves -186
Miles Simon - 176
Matt Muehlebach - 163
Gabe York - 153
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Damn Salim poured 'em in...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Had a Gabe hater behind me tonight. "Why is Gabe on the floor? I guess because he is a senior!!" "Wow. He finally made one." "Get Gabe out if he doesnt want to shoot."

:lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The anti-Lute end of half.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Had a Gabe hater behind me tonight. "Why is Gabe on the floor? I guess because he is a senior!!" "Wow. He finally made one." "Get Gabe out if he doesnt want to shoot."

:lol:
Sitting around people like that infuriates me. Just cheer on your team. If your opinion held any merit you'd be in a suit on the bench.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

It's always the ones who know nothing about the game too. He was just a dick. At one point I was yelling about the refs calling a foul on the floor when Trier had already gathered His dribble and took a step toward the basket to lay it in. He kept telling me this isnt the NBA so I tried to explain to him why Trier and Miller were pissed the basket was waived off. Even after i whipped out my phone to show why, he still wasnt having it. Same shit happened in the second w Kadeem too and Miller was again down the refs throat and he was like, see, I told u. And i gotta sit near this guy all year
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Had a strong streak from 3 when we needed it today. It reminded me of Gonzaga. In addition to a good finish, hopefully he is a reminder to guys like Simon of what can happen with patience. I remember his freshman year and virtually zero minutes, now he's one of the mainstays.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

beginning of the season my wife asked me who my favorite player was and I told her it usually takes a month or so to figure it out. A few weeks back after a huge game from Trier I told her I now knew and it was Trier. But I think deep down inside it's Gabe (pause). When a player makes a great play or hits a big shot, Gabe is the one who I feel the best for. I root for him more than anyone. This isnt any single man's team, but for some reason it feels like Gabe's to me. I guess chalk that up to being a for year guy who has been through a lot and stuck with it. Plus my 3-year-old running around the house w a nerf basketball all the time telling me he is Gabe York.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:beginning of the season my wife asked me who my favorite player was and I told her it usually takes a month or so to figure it out. A few weeks back after a huge game from Trier I told her I now knew and it was Trier. But I think deep down inside it's Gabe (pause). When a player makes a great play or hits a big shot, Gabe is the one who I feel the best for. I root for him more than anyone. This isnt any single man's team, but for some reason it feels like Gabe's to me. I guess chalk that up to being a for year guy who has been through a lot and stuck with it. Plus my 3-year-old running around the house w a nerf basketball all the time telling me he is Gabe York.
Yeah, I have a special love for 4 year players in this day and age.....all too rare at Arizona now. Love me some York and The God Of Thunder 'Zeus'!!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So happy for Gabe. He's having a wonderful senior year, and over the next few months, he's got a chance to really distinguish himself as one of the best seniors of the Miller era.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Shooting 3s at 44%, that's the best I've seen at Arizona for a number of years.

Just needs to make the gimme free throws end of game. 2 for 4 could have hurt.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Shooting 3s at 44%, that's the best I've seen at Arizona for a number of years.

Just needs to make the gimme free throws end of game. 2 for 4 could have hurt.
Yep, especially if we were only up a few points.

Gabe will be fine. And I love that PJC and Tolly and Trier hit threes yesterday too. We're becoming a more dynamic shooting team.

Here's hoping that Gabe can lead this team past the Elite Eight. Would be a relatively surprising end to GY's career at AZ.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder how his eye looks today? If he has a shiner than CSM needs to send that to the PAC officials office since the on court refs said he didn't get hit.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I love how that photo has some dumb Asu kid in a beanie flipping off York.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I have a feeling Gabe's gonna draw a lot of middle fingers on the road this season, probably just as we're about to leave with a W.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is looking at the student section and clapping really classified as taunting nowadays? It has to be better than cussing them out with your hands behind your back.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder how Gabe's NBA stock is going to look in March.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

WildcatStunner wrote:I love how that photo has some dumb Asu kid in a beanie flipping off York.
If you look at any photo of fans involving UA/ASU matchup, you're sure to find plenty of Sun Devil fans displaying their trademark sign language. Frankly, they communicate better that way. When they open their mouths it's hard to understand their dialect.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

The celebration at McKale is fun. But frankly, there's nothing sweeter than beating ASU up there. You don't need to gloat. Just the look of frustration on the faces of ASU fans is something to behold. You almost want to walk up and inform the younger generation of ASU fans that this is how life is and its never too late to leave the dark side.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Which is why it has been so frustrating when we lost 5/8 games there from 2008-2015
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Which is why it has been so frustrating when we lost 5/8 games there from 2008-2015
It was, but that was nothing but an aberration. We made three elite eights and two sweet sixteens in those years and they made the tourney twice and won one game.

Part of it is that we are their National Championship and we actually contend for the National Championship.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think Herb knew how to defend a Sean Miller coached team, Hurley doesn't so we should go back to beating them at McKale north like old times.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Is looking at the student section and clapping really classified as taunting nowadays? It has to be better than cussing them out with your hands behind your back.
Trolling is the better word. Not taunting at all.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:I wonder how Gabe's NBA stock is going to look in March.
Zero chance.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:beginning of the season my wife asked me who my favorite player was and I told her it usually takes a month or so to figure it out. A few weeks back after a huge game from Trier I told her I now knew and it was Trier. But I think deep down inside it's Gabe (pause). When a player makes a great play or hits a big shot, Gabe is the one who I feel the best for. I root for him more than anyone. This isnt any single man's team, but for some reason it feels like Gabe's to me. I guess chalk that up to being a for year guy who has been through a lot and stuck with it. Plus my 3-year-old running around the house w a nerf basketball all the time telling me he is Gabe York.
Feel the same. Before him, it was Kyle Fogg. Both took a lot of grief ... B.J. Denker levels of grief.

People just jump a guy, for whatever reason, and never let up. Very quiet when they have a good game. Can't shut up when they don't. It's ego. They lock into a position, and it's more important to defend it than to enjoy a positive outcome.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Is looking at the student section and clapping really classified as taunting nowadays? It has to be better than cussing them out with your hands behind your back.
Trolling is the better word. Not taunting at all.
Watching it on TV, I thought he was more clapping and gesturing to the thousands of UA fans that were there.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:I wonder how his eye looks today? If he has a shiner than CSM needs to send that to the PAC officials office since the on court refs said he didn't get hit.
Love that photo. Has to be the best feeling in sports.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Chicat wrote:
Well done. 8-)

Salim Stoudamire - 342
Jason Gardner - 318
Damon Stoudamire - 282
Jason Terry - 193
Kyle Fogg - 193
Matt Othick - 191
Chase Budinger - 190
Khalid Reeves -186
Miles Simon - 176
Matt Muehlebach - 163
Gabe York - 153
wow look at those top three. not surprising they all made a final four!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Which is why it has been so frustrating when we lost 5/8 games there from 2008-2015
It was, but that was nothing but an aberration. We made three elite eights and two sweet sixteens in those years and they made the tourney twice and won one game.

Part of it is that we are their National Championship and we actually contend for the National Championship.
And the messy coaching transition. Probably not even favored in those 2008-10 games.
gumby

Post by gumby »

CBCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Well done. 8-)

Salim Stoudamire - 342
Jason Gardner - 318
Damon Stoudamire - 282
Jason Terry - 193
Kyle Fogg - 193
Matt Othick - 191
Chase Budinger - 190
Khalid Reeves -186
Miles Simon - 176
Matt Muehlebach - 163
Gabe York - 153
wow look at those top three. not surprising they all made a final four!
Salim's number is insane. More than twice as many as York.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Feel the same. Before him, it was Kyle Fogg. Both took a lot of grief ... B.J. Denker levels of grief.

People just jump a guy, for whatever reason, and never let up. Very quiet when they have a good game. Can't shut up when they don't. It's ego. They lock into a position, and it's more important to defend it than to enjoy a positive outcome.
To me, it's easy to root hard for a kid like Gabe. He's steadily improved, never gotten into any kind of trouble off or on the court. Is completely respectful (how many times did he say "sir" in that one ESPN postgame interview?). And has dedicated himself to improving the things that Miller has asked him to improve (ball-handling, defense).

His shot selection sucks from time to time, but other than that I really have no complaints with his game. I do find myself being frustrated when he goes in for some monster slam (never works) or heat check running three pointers from 35 feet (sometimes works), but I know he's someone that feeds off emotion and that if those plays do work, he's poised to carry the team for at least another couple of minutes. You need that kind of player. When Gardner played like that, no one gave him one tenth the amount of grief.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Exactly. And dude has been the difference in a lot of big games in the last year and a half. We look at what he did in So Cal and yeah, we probably cruise by double digits vs Santa Clara (but remember he had that big three late and I think another in OT), and beat Providence with a slightly better offensive night from him (4-12, but 2-6 from deep and an otherwise good all around game). But he has been the sparkplug that has either started separating close games, brought us back in games, or put games away in four of our better wins. Who was it last year that was the difference (5 made 3's) in the Ohio State tournament game when pretty much everyone outside of TJ stunk the place up? That Xavier game was tight and Gabe had three huge 3s, I remember one of them stopping a run when things were looking to slip from us. On a Gabe York kind of night, I will take this team against anyone. On a decent night, the same. And outside of two tournament in southern California, I'm not sure he has had any stinkers outside of maybe one other game. I know he will be a guy who will be the most responsible for a big win come March.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

And the messy coaching transition. Probably not even favored in those 2008-10 games.
We didn't have Bayless in '08 and still only lost in OT. The following year we got hosed with the Dave Libby offensive foul call on Jordan Hill in the final 30 seconds. ASU hasn't exactly dominated us in Tempe. When they've won, it's been by the slimmest of margins.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

carolinacat wrote:
gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We didn't have Bayless in '08 and still only lost in OT. The following year we got hosed with the Dave Libby offensive foul call on Jordan Hill in the final 30 seconds. ASU hasn't exactly dominated us in Tempe. When they've won, it's been by the slimmest of margins.
Yep in those 5 wins they won by a total of 20 points with two overtime wins and a jahii Carson buzzer beater.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

And an early court rushing and a hanging on the rim.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

carolinacat wrote:The celebration at McKale is fun. But frankly, there's nothing sweeter than beating ASU up there. You don't need to gloat. Just the look of frustration on the faces of ASU fans is something to behold. You almost want to walk up and inform the younger generation of ASU fans that this is how life is and its never too late to leave the dark side.
What, all 17 of them?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Rough game last night. Reminded me of Nick Johnson becoming invisible in February's past. Hopefully he gets back into the groove on Saturday.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

I don't think we can expect York to be the type of player to carry us in every big game. That's asking an awful lot for a player like him. Yes, he could've shot it better last night but that's going to happen. I would prefer he not force bad shots and shoot us out of games. A lot of guys on the team weren't really sharp the first 25-30 minutes last night. Had York knocked down an extra shot or two, the analysis of his performance would be different.

I don't think UCLA is a very good defensive team and it's frustrating to not make them pay when you get open looks. Alford is a defensive liability for them, which is why they switch to zone so often. If Allen or Simon were more reliable outside shooters, we'd be a really tough team to defend.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

3-10 is going to happen with York or any shooter like him. He was 2-5 from deep. With how that game was playing out last night, with them being in that 8-14 point lead range for a lot of it, any 3 was big for us, and almost all of them fault like they kept the game from getting out of hand or ending, and his were no exception. We just got to deal with the fact that when one goes in, another is coming. Sometimes they will fall and sometimes they wont. They did a great job on him defensively last night. A great job on Trier too.