Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RichardCranium

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by RichardCranium »

3goggles wrote:Kareem Abdul jabar has eligibility left???
Well it is a fact that Kareem Abdul Jabbar never played one minute of college BBall, so...
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

"Anytime somebody tells you you can go out there and be yourself and do what you do best, it makes you feel confident and establish your comfort level," said Trier, who has 41 points on 20 shots the past two games.

So much for Steve Alford's comment that Miller is too controlling of his players on the court.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

carolinacat wrote:"Anytime somebody tells you you can go out there and be yourself and do what you do best, it makes you feel confident and establish your comfort level," said Trier, who has 41 points on 20 shots the past two games.

So much for Steve Alford's comment that Miller is too controlling of his players on the court.
Steve Alford is a fucking douchebag. Nobody should ever listen to what he has to say.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:
carolinacat wrote:"Anytime somebody tells you you can go out there and be yourself and do what you do best, it makes you feel confident and establish your comfort level," said Trier, who has 41 points on 20 shots the past two games.

Steve Alford is a fucking douchebag. Nobody should ever listen to what he has to say.
Unless you rape someone. Then you should welcome his unflagging support.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Trier making a case to be a one and done in a weak draft class if he keeps this quality of play up.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

Unless you rape someone. Then you should welcome his unflagging support.
Touche.

But at least at UCLA there's nobody around to watch you play (or commit any assaults).
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Cool article I came across earlier. Not sure if its been posted

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... 0-recruit/" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The best part is there is still so much room for improvement from him on the defensive end.

So this D1 level emergence we are seeing offensively...that we mostly expected but are still amazed to see...is only one piece of the puzzle. He has the physical attributes and the competitive nature and career goals to become, let's say, fair to good defensively this year.

And that is what is so much fun, for me, with this year's team. Fun style of ball, lowered expectations without having to drop off the radar, and while senior led, still influenced enough by young players to be a team that improves greatly from tip to final buzzer. The last two years have been a treat, but heartbreaking to see come up short of a goal they really deserved, most notably Rondae and TJ. This year, we have some expectations, but watching every game is a little more fun because it isn't so life and death...at least not for me. While last year had some adjustment to Stanley to account for, what we rolled out on day one wasn't a lot different than what we left the court with in the Elite Eight, which was good, because we were wire to wire good. This team has a lot of room to potentially grow, and get us to the 2nd week and things could get real fun...
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Well said, EV.

I was sitting on the couch during the Fresno St. game and realized that, in any time the last two years, during that game I would have been yelling, screaming, pissed off, nervous as all hell...but I was calm, had faith we would pull it out, and just enjoyed watching. What a difference tempered expectations bring! It really was more enjoyable and like you said it will make any game we have in the second weekly a likely "we've got nothing to lose" game, kind of like the Duke game in 2011 for me.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Very cool to see Allonzo coming into his own. Look for him to be a major factor for Arizona going into the new year. With Zeus coming back healthy and when Gabe finds his shot,..wow. Scoring opps should become available everywhere.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Gabe is shooting 40.7% from three. If that is with him losing his shot, he will be Salim when he finds it, lol.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Gabe is shooting 40.7% from three. If that is with him losing his shot, he will be Salim when he finds it, lol.

40% wow. Didn't know that number was that high. Pretty cool.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

rgdeuce wrote:Gabe is shooting 40.7% from three. If that is with him losing his shot, he will be Salim when he finds it, lol.
Would be nice if he found his FT stroke. Hitting 65%, which isn't god awful but certainly could be better. I think he's missed his last 3 or 4 FT attempts...in critical situations vs. Gonzaga & Fresno. Overall, team shooting only 67%. Not too good. Ristic's golden sombrero performance (0-5) didn't help.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

RA's numbers not bad. 53% fg 70% ft's

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

HiCat wrote:RA's numbers not bad. 53% fg 70% ft's

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... a-wildcats" target="_blank
His numbers look terrific. RA has a shot at Pac player of the year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

RA's a high energy work horse. Just keeps on truckin, with a 6th sense for coming up with the ball on critical plays.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

RA is not a glamour player, and that seems to be a requirement in our dumbass conference for player of the year. They largely ignore very important things and intangibles. Regardless, I think his numbers are going to take a bit of a dip because Zeus should be back, Trier is emerging as our big scorer, and we are going to be playing tougher opponents with a little better size most nights. Think hes probably a lock for a first team nod though.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

EVCat wrote:The best part is there is still so much room for improvement from him on the defensive end.

He has already improved a ton defensively, no reason to believe he won't keep moving in the right direction and fast.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ChooChooCat wrote:Trier making a case to be a one and done in a weak draft class if he keeps this quality of play up.
I don't see him being here next year, but we'll see
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA lists Trier at 6'6", although ESPN has him at 6'4".

Anthony Gimino has a new story up on Trier: http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12-today/ari ... s-arrived/" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:UA lists Trier at 6'6", although ESPN has him at 6'4".

Anthony Gimino has a new story up on Trier: http://www.todaysu.com/pac-12-today/ari ... s-arrived/" target="_blank
He doesn't look 6'6
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

HiCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:UA lists Trier at 6'6", although ESPN has him at 6'4".

He doesn't look 6'6
Includes the hair
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Not 6-6. No bigger than Simon or Dickerson, who were listed at 6-5 and were shorter.

Don't understand gaming height. Like they'll never be measured by the NBA?
Right where I want to be.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:Trier making a case to be a one and done in a weak draft class if he keeps this quality of play up.
Sorry, I do not see this at all. He's a good player, but no way is he NBA ready. He has good strength for the D1 level, but not the League (and the next time I hear an announcer say he is just like Stanimal my head is going to explode).

I don't think he is big, athletic or skilled enough to make it into the lottery as a 2, or a good enough shooter (so far) to make it in the first round. I know the NBA drafts on upside, but I don't think he has enough raw potential to be a 1-and-done high draft pick.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

He's more ready than Grant Jerrett was. I agree he's a late 1st rounder in the best case scenario and should def stay but Arizona doesn't have the best luck w this type of thing.

Also whoever said GJ would be just like Wiltjer as a senior this year was spot on. They had extremely similar games. At least Kyle was smart enough to transfer to a team not quite as stacked as Kentucky so he could develop. Now he will be a 1st round draft pick next year.

What a fool GJ was. He will never get more than a cup of coffee in the league again.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PennZona20 wrote:He's more ready than Grant Jerrett was. I agree he's a late 1st rounder in the best case scenario and should def stay but Arizona doesn't have the best luck w this type of thing.

Also whoever said GJ would be just like Wiltjer as a senior this year was spot on. They had extremely similar games. At least Kyle was smart enough to transfer to a team not quite as stacked as Kentucky so he could develop. Now he will be a 1st round draft pick next year.

What a fool GJ was. He will never get more than a cup of coffee in the league again.
No kidding, good post PennZona20....Grant made a terrible and foolish decision for sure.....having said that, I made a ton of them when I was his age too ;-). This whole 'stress over early departures' really takes away some of my love for the NCAA game....thank you NBA! :-(
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Oh I did as well, but I'd like to think none of my young dumb decisions cost me millions.

Anyway I agree they really need to implement the baseball rule in college hoops. Either go pro out of HS or make it a 2 year minimum of u choose to go to college.
Bangkok Wildcat

PennZona20 wrote:Oh I did as well, but I'd like to think none of my young dumb decisions cost me millions.

Anyway I agree they really need to implement the baseball rule in college hoops. Either go pro out of HS or make it a 2 year minimum of u choose to go to college.
Exactly what I was thinking....this would make the game so much better for the fans, easier on the Coaches, and I would think it would even benefit the NBA with more developed young players.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona coach Sean Miller is hoping that Allonzo Trier can follow in the footsteps of some of his other former stars and experience a breakthrough after his latest performance.

The freshman will try for another high-scoring game when the 13th-ranked Wildcats continue their homestand Sunday against Missouri.

Trier had 27 points on 8-of-11 shooting and six rebounds in an 85-72 win over Fresno State on Wednesday. The swingman, who matched his scoring output from his prior two games, looks like he's building toward becoming a more consistent performer since tallying five points in back-to-back contests last month in a California tournament.

Miller is now banking on his highly touted recruit turning into a reliable threat like Derrick Williams, Aaron Gordon and Stanley Johnson before him.

"Eventually, you come to it with all these guys," Miller said. "As you learn who they are, a trust starts to develop. And once we see they are really working hard to do what we ask of them, it's just a matter of time."

Trier will get a familiar place to keep honing his game with Arizona (8-1) getting four more chances to play in Tucson before its Pac-12 opener Jan. 3 at Arizona State.

"I felt like coach had a lot of confidence in me," Trier said. "Anytime somebody tells you that you can go out there and be yourself, do what you do best, it feels good. It allows you to be comfortable."

Arizona will try to extend its NCAA-best home win streak to 44 games when it faces a program that's dropped 16 straight on the road dating back to February 2014. Missouri is 0-3 away from home with two neutral-site losses to Kansas State and Northwestern State last month.

The Tigers (5-3) have won three straight since then after beating Nebraska-Omaha 85-78 on Wednesday. Freshman forward Kevin Puryear, averaging a team-best 14.1 points on 54.7 percent shooting, had 18 against the Mavericks and grabbed a season-high eight rebounds.

Missouri's other top scorer is also a freshman, point guard Terrence Phillips (10.0 ppg). He had 14 points Wednesday and a combined 27 in the past two games.

"We're feeling good. We're playing with confidence after losing three straight," Phillips said. "We've got to continue this confidence, continue playing together and playing hard as we go to Arizona."

The Wildcats didn't have their leading scorer, Ryan Anderson, for last season's matchup against the Tigers in the Maui Invitational because he was sitting out following a transfer from Boston College.

The No. 3-ranked team won 72-53 while holding Missouri to 36.4 percent shooting and a 3-of-13 performance from 3-point range. Arizona was en route to a 34-win campaign - one shy of matching its school mark - and a second straight regional finals appearance in the NCAA tournament.

The Tigers, meanwhile, were on their way to a nine-win season under first-year coach Kim Anderson, their worst since going 3-23 in 1966-67. The schools split their previous two meetings with Arizona winning in the 1994 NCAA regional finals.

Missouri has lost its last eight games against Top 25 teams by an average of 19.5 points, with five of those matchups coming last season. The Tigers have also dropped 14 of their last 15 road contests versus ranked teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... na-preview" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona can throw away all the stats on its offense and start over now that Trier has been unleashed as a missile propelled toward the rim by an irrational force, which will be some serious **** for opposing defenses to deal with, change the spacing, and improve everyone's efficiency.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

First 30 point game? When is it coming?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: No kidding, good post PennZona20....Grant made a terrible and foolish decision for sure....
Actually it was God who made the decision for him.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

rgdeuce wrote:First 30 point game? When is it coming?
Hopefully @ucla in a rout
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Main Event wrote:
Wow. Did Aaron or Stanley ever win that?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Stanley won it twice:

2014-15 Pac-12 Players of the Week
Dec. 1 Stanley Johnson, Fr., Arizona
Jan. 19 Stanley Johnson, Fr., Arizona

Rondae last year:
Feb. 16: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, So., Arizona

I don't believe aaron ever won it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bayless won it after scoring 31 and 33 on the Bay Area trip. Before that, he scored 39 against ASU. Team also had Jordan Hill and Chase Budinger. Lost 15 games. League was so stacked with talent. Love, Westbrook, Harden, DeRozan, Ryan Anderson, Robin and Brook Lopez, O.J. Mayo.

All freshman team: Harden, Bayless, Love, Mayo, Davon Jefferson.

Love was POY. Can you name the only other freshman to do that? (Can't believe what a different player Love is now).
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Gumby in full on quiz mode now.
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Awesome! Bear Down Zo.
Zero

Post by Zero »

gumby wrote:Bayless won it after scoring 31 and 33 on the Bay Area trip. Before that, he scored 39 against ASU. Team also had Jordan Hill and Chase Budinger. Lost 15 games. League was so stacked with talent. Love, Westbrook, Harden, DeRozan, Ryan Anderson, Robin and Brook Lopez, O.J. Mayo.

All freshman team: Harden, Bayless, Love, Mayo, Davon Jefferson.

Love was POY. Can you name the only other freshman to do that? (Can't believe what a different player Love is now).
Shareef. I was a huge a fan.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yep. Big-time recruit out of Georgia.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Already knows its in

Sweet belt

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That's some good form, take note Tollefsen!
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Jefe wrote:Already knows its in

Sweet belt

Wow. Never seen a ball look so comfortable in someone's hand who's hand wasn't Jordan sized. And yeah, he looks like he's enjoying himself out there. Glad we have him.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

DaddyO'Cat wrote:
Jefe wrote:Already knows its in

Sweet belt

Wow. Never seen a ball look so comfortable in someone's hand who's hand wasn't Jordan sized. And yeah, he looks like he's enjoying himself out there. Glad we have him.
I love the look on Zo's face in this photo and the ones from another thread. So many players are grimacing, look confused, perplexed, or hurt in these candid shots. Trier's face seems to be saying, "I got you, Sucka!"
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

His recent play has people thinking he will be turning pro after this year. He is projected as a first-round pick. If he continues to play like he has, his stock will definitely go up.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft" target="_blank

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2016-nba-mock-draft.html" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it's worth the discussion at this point, Irish -- but for him to go im told it would need to be a top 15(ish) lock.

we will see I guess
wooha

Post by wooha »

DraftExpress (as of 12/18):
2017 Mock Draft: 33rd
NCAA Freshmen: 18th

Though I bet Givony hasn't seen much of him at this point.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

wooha wrote:DraftExpress (as of 12/18):
2017 Mock Draft: 33rd
NCAA Freshmen: 18th

Though I bet Givony hasn't seen much of him at this point.
In terms of NBA projections, those look about right to me.