let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: let's talk '18

Post by UAEebs86 »

Committed at 1:30 in the morning?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I'm sure Romar was a big help. Great news.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Committed at 1:30 in the morning?
Midnight Lute, meet Early Morning Miller.

Great get!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rock the Casbah, Shareef.

Is that the third power forward we've pulled from that school? Ira Lee, Isaiah Fox.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:Committed at 1:30 in the morning?
Nice add. Hopefully Shareef is a multi-year stretch 4 in the Brandon Ashley mold. I think he has a lot of those same tools as Ashley.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Well good morning. We're gonna have a lot of schollies to hand out in 18, this one still surprises me
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Yup. I see 7 likely if both alkins and Trier leave.

Ayton is 100%
Talbot is 100% if we don't use 13 this year besides him
3 seniors
I'd say trier is more than likely and alkins is 50/50 if u are being generous. Going to be a big big class.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona lands Class of 2018 star Shareef O'Neal, son of Shaquille O’Neal
The 6-9 forward is ranked 31st in the Class of 2018 by 247Sports

by Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS 2h ago • 1 min read

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... lle-oneal/" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Irish27 wrote:I'm sure Romar was a big help. Great news.
UW wasnt recruiting him according to sources but the timing is interesting

I wonder if he's done growing. Massive hands and still growing into his body. He's got a great outside shot
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:
Irish27 wrote:I'm sure Romar was a big help. Great news.
UW wasnt recruiting him according to sources but the timing is interesting

I wonder if he's done growing. Massive hands and still growing into his body. He's got a great outside shot
I mean, think about the genes...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.gq.com/story/shaq-son-birthd ... amborghini" target="_blank

Shaq’s Son Had the Rager Birthday Party You've Always Dreamed Of

Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Super interesting & exciting.

I typed out a lot more but deleted and want to leave it at that.
prh

Post by prh »

Interested in how the roster is going to shape up. I've imagined Akot being more Rondae like than Bash, is Shareef expected to continue growing into a PF? (as similar heights but various levels of athleticism/polish)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Well, won't be OAD because of financial hardship.
gumby

Post by gumby »

prh wrote:Interested in how the roster is going to shape up. I've imagined Akot being more Rondae like than Bash, is Shareef expected to continue growing into a PF? (as similar heights but various levels of athleticism/polish)
Long and slim now. Moves well. Not a power forward at this point, but he's only a junior.

I wonder how he compares to teammate Ira Lee.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

gumby wrote:
prh wrote:Interested in how the roster is going to shape up. I've imagined Akot being more Rondae like than Bash, is Shareef expected to continue growing into a PF? (as similar heights but various levels of athleticism/polish)
Long and slim now. Moves well. Not a power forward at this point, but he's only a junior.

He's a better prospect than Lee. The top 40 ranking is warranted. Plus I know his pops values education so I def see him here for 2 years.

He's a lot like a smoother Bash actually. Akot is like Rondae. Randolph / alkins as our NJ .... get u a top pg to be TJ - lite and find a C Zeus and we have our 2013-14 team again
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PennZona20 wrote:
gumby wrote:

He's a better prospect than Lee. The top 40 ranking is warranted. Plus I know his pops values education so I def see him here for 2 years.

He's a lot like a smoother Bash actually. Akot is like Rondae. Randolph / alkins as our NJ .... get u a top pg to be TJ - lite and find a C Zeus and we have our 2013-14 team again
He'll easily be a PF. He's still a HS junior. Give him another year and he's really close to Ashley.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

More athletic than Ashley, no?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

As an aside, this brings a lot of flash to the program that can help recruiting against other "flashier" programs aka Kentucky. Shaq was a three year guy at LSU, and his big jump was between freshman and soph year, and he was the AP player of the year as a sophomore. He still came back and played his Jr year, and he finished his degree a few years later. I believe he has a graduate degree now as well.

Look, Shareef isn't going to be a 7 footer, but he has athleticism that is developing like his his dad's did, and he absolutely comes from the right family and upbringing. Shaq has always been a very smart and grounded guy to go along with his skill and outrageous personality. This is a really good get and fit for Miller.

Also, fuck you Bill Murray. We've got Shaq.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

splitsecond wrote:As an aside, this brings a lot of flash to the program that can help recruiting against other "flashier" programs aka Kentucky. Shaq was a three year guy at LSU, and his big jump was between freshman and soph year, and he was the AP player of the year as a sophomore. He still came back and played his Jr year, and he finished his degree a few years later. I believe he has a graduate degree now as well.

Look, Shareef isn't going to be a 7 footer, but he has athleticism that is developing like his his dad's did, and he absolutely comes from the right family and upbringing. Shaq has always been a very smart and grounded guy to go along with his skill and outrageous personality. This is a really good get and fit for Miller.

The name recognition is definitely more of a pr benefit than you typically get in the #31 player in the nation. Having Shaq at games would be a big deal in raising our profile into that top echelon in the eyes of a casual fan.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
splitsecond wrote:As an aside, this brings a lot of flash to the program that can help recruiting against other "flashier" programs aka Kentucky. Shaq was a three year guy at LSU, and his big jump was between freshman and soph year, and he was the AP player of the year as a sophomore. He still came back and played his Jr year, and he finished his degree a few years later. I believe he has a graduate degree now as well.

The name recognition is definitely more of a pr benefit than you typically get in the #31 player in the nation. Having Shaq at games would be a big deal in raising our profile into that top echelon in the eyes of a casual fan.
Okay, maybe I don't want to become a casual fan after all, because that's about the stupidest thing anyone could ever think.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:[The name recognition is definitely more of a pr benefit than you typically get in the #31 player in the nation. Having Shaq at games would be a big deal in raising our profile into that top echelon in the eyes of a casual fan.
Agreed. Especially if Shareef plays well.

You see Xavier getting tons of press because of Bill Murray or Northwestern because of JLD. Shaq courtside rooting on a successful with the best uniform colors in the nation - that's money in the bank.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What are the odds he ever makes it on campus?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
That's an awesome 3 minute long commercial for our program.
ASUHATER! wrote:What are the odds he ever makes it on campus?
:roll:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Shareef O’Neal explains why he committed to the Wildcats

He was impressed by UA’s campus and how the team has a family vibe
by Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Apr 20, 2017, 12:06am PDT

The Arizona Wildcats landed a high-profile recruit in Shareef O’Neal, the son of NBA legend Shaquille O’Neal, on Wednesday morning and later in the day he explained on TNT’s postgame coverage of the NBA Playoffs why he chose the Wildcats.

“Arizona, I love the school, the staff treats me like family,” Shareef told the TNT panel which included Shaq, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Ernie Johnson. “I went on a visit with my dad and … I loved it once I got there. The campus is beautiful and the program was awesome.”

Arizona’s style of play piqued O’Neal’s interest, too.

“The good thing about it was how the bigs get to play like guards and I think that’s a big part of my game today,” said Shareef, a 6-foot-9 forward. “... So I feel like I fit in there really well.”

There is still a long way to go before O’Neal’s career with Arizona begins, but if/when it does, Shaq will be a regular visitor at McKale Center.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ng-tnt-nba" target="_blank
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

You're nothing if not consistent.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Que?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Shaq's fairly well known, though he's no LaVar Ball. Just ask LaVar Ball.
gumby

Post by gumby »

As opposed to dying?

Shareef picked up on "family vibe." Must not be on Twitter, where these guys hate each other!!!! :D
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I mean I'm not saying he won't end up on campus. But who knows with kids these days. Ferguson left a hole in my heart. Along with all the other kids that change their mind well after their commitment.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Shaq is one of the most vociferous proponents of the need of future NBA players to have the college experience. Not just for basketball but also for preparing for life. And that's this kid's own father. If you think that's just something Shaq says to feel better about himself and to lie about what college meant to him, then think of the kid's grandfather on the question of college and NBA readiness. So while anything could happen, that's the case with any recruit who commits to any program, but this one seems notably lower risk.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I mean I'm not saying he won't end up on campus. But who knows with kids these days. Ferguson left a hole in my heart. Along with all the other kids that change their mind well after their commitment.
Such a weird take and post. Do you need a hug? This isn't football recruiting, relax.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I mean I'm not saying he won't end up on campus. But who knows with kids these days. Ferguson left a hole in my heart. Along with all the other kids that change their mind well after their commitment.
Such a weird take and post. Do you need a hug? This isn't football recruiting, relax.
It's not a weird take at all. It's the simple truth if college recruiting in 2017.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Crossroads isn't a fly by night prep school. His eligibilty is solid. Shaq (as other have noted) has always been pretty vocal about pushing college as necessary preparation.

People can always jump to other schools. There's no real way to account for that so far ahead.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
It's not a weird take at all. It's the simple truth if college recruiting in 2017.
It is weird & you quoted a post directly AFTER the post that explains why. Which is extra weird. I typed a bunch of things out last night about how coachable he may be because he's so privileged but deleted them...and I already regret typing that because who knows. But LH explained really simply and well that him showing up on campus is fairly close to the least of concerns.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

He has his Doctorate
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

This is a GREAT PICKUP. Not including the fringe benefits of shaqs kid exposure.

I think he's fairly underrated and a worker. I think his ranking should be somewhere in the mid-20s.

He's probably still growing but as of now he's a bit of a tweener stretch 4 like Bash if he doesn't grow 2 more inches. I think it's safe to say he will be here 2+ years. My guess is 3, but it's too early to project but kids in the 20-30 range that are likely not OAD are more valuable than their ranking.

Great pickup.
Azcats94

Post by Azcats94 »

My question is, how does O'Neals commitment affect Bagley's decision? He is the prize in 2018. Bagley isn't being recruited to play the 5. Makes me wonder if Bagley has tipped his hand to our staff.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Azcats94 wrote:My question is, how does O'Neals commitment affect Bagley's decision? He is the prize in 2018. Bagley isn't being recruited to play the 5. Makes me wonder if Bagley has tipped his hand to our staff.
There are several opposing thoughts on this:

1. Some think UCLA leads, but it's not something that can't be overcome.
2. Some think Arizona leads, but, again, it's nothing incredible.
3. Most think Bagley is mostly open to most of his favored school. So, who knows...
4. A few still tell me Bagley and Overseas is a real possibility.

Arizona took Barcello despite rumblings Bagley and he didn't get along. Arizona has now taken a 4/5-star PF at the same position as Bagley in the same class.

Honestly, we can read into it way too far. Maybe Sean is no longer allowing recruits to direct whom he takes. He passed on Nigel Williams Goss because players hated him. Passed on Tyler Dorsey because players hated him.

Not saying it would have happened, but imagine that as a starting backcourt?

Sean Miller needs to do what's best for his program in real time, not hypothetical or hindsight. Barcello is a 3/4-year type who can dribble and shoot with the best of them. And O'Neal is a high upside athlete who can shoot, and make impact off the bench immediately and focus on getting stronger for eventual focal point status.

Bagley is a play immediately, play a lot, give the ball, get out the way player who is definitely a one and done, and who may be a never-school prospect.

They all can play together. I doubt they'd even be on the floor at the same time much.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

First off, Bagley can easily play the 3 in the NBA. He's a lot like Porter but better. I can definitely see us going small w him and Shareef on floor too (although it still wouldnt be THAT small). Even if we get a guy like Bol or Chance is actually the starting C as a senior I think a bagley, shareef, chance/bol frontcourt can work for stretches.

I doubt this affects his decision but you never know. Plus as JMarks said ..... bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. We have no clue if Marvin is even going to college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No it's not. There's a very select few basketball recruits where your question would've been a valid concern. Keyword few. Shareef O'Neal is not one of them. You're just being a schmuck for the sake of it.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Ebi, Jennings, Withey, Leaf, Ferguson just off the top of my head. I wouldn't say 'hater's concerns are invalid. Kids change their minds. All. The. Time.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No it's not. There's a very select few basketball recruits where your question would've been a valid concern. Keyword few. Shareef O'Neal is not one of them. You're just being a schmuck for the sake of it.
It is. It's the simple truth if college recruiting. Period.

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Puerco wrote:Ebi, Jennings, Withey, Leaf, Ferguson just off the top of my head. I wouldn't say 'hater's concerns are invalid. Kids change their minds. All. The. Time.
Well he can't go straight to the league like Ebi, haven't heard of qualifying issues like Ferg and Jennings, Sean isn't retiring like Lute so can't bolt like Withey, so unless we have a falling out w/ his AAU team (Nike) like TJ (Adidas) I think we'll be fine.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Puerco wrote:Ebi, Jennings, Withey, Leaf, Ferguson just off the top of my head. I wouldn't say 'hater's concerns are invalid. Kids change their minds. All. The. Time.
Well he can't go straight to the league like Ebi, haven't heard of qualifying issues like Ferg and Jennings, Sean isn't retiring like Lute so can't bolt like Withey, so unless we have a falling out w/ his AAU team (Nike) like TJ (Adidas) I think we'll be fine.
Plus, we essentially upgraded from Leaf to Lauri. That's 5 guys in 15 years, too.

Ferguson and Jennings were all academics and that is a complete non-issue with Shareef. I honestly don't blame Withey much with the coaching situation we had going on at the time.

I mean, yeah, it's always a possibility. There are no particularly concerning factors apparent with Shareef though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Plus, we essentially upgraded from Leaf to Lauri. That's 5 guys in 15 years, too.

Ferguson and Jennings were all academics and that is a complete non-issue with Shareef. I honestly don't blame Withey much with the coaching situation we had going on at the time.

I mean, yeah, it's always a possibility. There are no particularly concerning factors apparent with Shareef though.
And how would anyone know for sure at this point anyway? Was Hater actually trying to find out a probability percentage or just being a wet blanket? My money is on the latter.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

PennZona20 wrote:First off, Bagley can easily play the 3 in the NBA. He's a lot like Porter but better. I can definitely see us going small w him and Shareef on floor too (although it still wouldnt be THAT small). Even if we get a guy like Bol or Chance is actually the starting C as a senior I think a bagley, shareef, chance/bol frontcourt can work for stretches.

I doubt this affects his decision but you never know. Plus as JMarks said ..... bird in the hand is worth more than 2 in the bush. We have no clue if Marvin is even going to college.
OTOH, we might have one of these players. I think the days of projecting the current year -- hell, the current week -- are gone. Constant moving parts. Can't recruit based on what you think other guys will do. Can't accept offers based on what other guys will do.

What a time to be a coach. A player. A fan.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I think the Alex/Marvin friction is highly overstated.

Not sure the dads see eye to eye, but I think that may be associated with the kids incorrectly
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:

He has his Doctorate
My dream is we hire Luke Murray next year and have BOTH!