let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Nico could even be a lotto pick.

I think it’s reasonable to assume he and JG are OAD. It sucks, but that’s the game you play with elite freshmen. There’s a heightened urgency to win immediately. Previous Miller teams have thrived with elite freshmen: Gordon, SJ, Lauri, Ayton. It’ll just be a matter of whether the rest of the roster is good enough to have the success we’re envisioning.

Probably covered elsewhere, but how likely is it that we see a three guard starting unit next season with NM, JG and BW? Those three plus Jeter and one more big would seem to be our best 5. How good is Stone Gettings?
I guarantee NM, BW, and JG start next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I think it’s reasonable to assume he and JG are OAD. It sucks, but that’s the game you play with elite freshmen. There’s a heightened urgency to win immediately. Previous Miller teams have thrived with elite freshmen: Gordon, SJ, Lauri, Ayton. It’ll just be a matter of whether the rest of the roster is good enough to have the success we’re envisioning.

Probably covered elsewhere, but how likely is it that we see a three guard starting unit next season with NM, JG and BW? Those three plus Jeter and one more big would seem to be our best 5. How good is Stone Gettings?
Yeah. I mean, those are unquestionably our best three guards. I was just wondering if we had a different option at that 3 spot.

NM
JG
BW
IL
CJ

Or could Zeke or Stone challenge for a starting spot? I actually think Ira is going to be much better next year, surrounded with smarter, better offensive players. Ira could be a Bennet Davison-type player if things shake out the right way.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I have heard Nico would stay if he felt like he could improve his standing and get into the lottery if he was not there after next year.

Green is gone

Who knows but I have heard its not a foregone conclusion either him or Zeke leave. Obviously playing well next year would change that but then also that means we are probably good so

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah. I mean, those are unquestionably are best three guards. I was just wondering if we had a different option at that 3 spot.

NM
JG
BW
IL
CJ

Or could Zeke or Stone challenge for a starting spot? I actually think Ira is going to be much better next year, surrounded with smarter, better offensive players. Ira could be a Bennet Davison-type player if things shake out the right way.
Starting to have concerns about Chase Jeter coming back next year after this injury scare for him...just don't have a good feeling about it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah. I mean, those are unquestionably our best three guards. I was just wondering if we had a different option at that 3 spot.

NM
JG
BW
IL
CJ

I'd assume Gettings or Nnaji will be your starting 4 man next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Gettings must be better than I realize.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Gettings must be better than I realize.
Certainly hope he is!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Mannion #8
Green #13

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft" target="_blank

ESPN had Green #7 Mannion #17
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CCC would you expect Ira to come back? Feels like at minimum he would have 20min a game whether off the bench or starting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
CCC would you expect Ira to come back? Feels like at minimum he would have 20min a game whether off the bench or starting.
At this moment yes.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Is getting better than Ira Lee? Who would he be compared to? I hope he's better than Luther...
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
At this moment yes.
Ira is growing into one of my favorite players. Really want him to play four years and graduate. Reminds of a Lute Era player. Someone who plays significant minutes, seldom starts, and has plenty of memorable and impacting moments.

It seems to me they have been working with him on a baseline jumper. If he can perfect that 10 foot baseline jumper and just be a junkyard dog... he will get more than his share of PT.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:Is getting better than Ira Lee? Who would he be compared to? I hope he's better than Luther...
My thought is either Miller decides to go with experience (Gettings) or talent (Nnaji). Both can equally stretch the floor, although Gettings may be better there. Miller may just go with the guy who best compliments the starting 5, which theoretically should be Jeter. Lee is literally best as a back up 5 man honestly.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can’t wait to see that kid play at McKale.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
A midcourt angle:
Awesome.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

When he does that in the tourney for Arizona, he’ll get called for an offensive foul.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

They get better attendance than most PAC teams
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:They get better attendance than most PAC teams
Better talent too.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:They get better attendance than most PAC teams
Better talent too.
And better results
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

https://twitter.com/BFlinnElevate/statu ... 9879168000" target="_blank

If Jeter leaves, wouldn't mind replacing him with Ballo if there's any way we can pry him away from Gonzaga...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:https://twitter.com/BFlinnElevate/statu ... 9879168000

If Jeter leaves, wouldn't mind replacing him with Ballo if there's any way we can pry him away from Gonzaga...
The one comment on that tweet....of course.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

The one comment on that tweet....of course.
Classssssic. Those jokes never get old!
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

How about we land him and keep Jeter for another year.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

MC1983 wrote:

That would be great, but I would guess that he wouldn't come here if Jeter is coming back...too crowded of a front court. Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong on that though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MC1983 wrote:

Let's keep Jeter and then see what happens. Keeping Jeter is imperative.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MC1983 wrote:

Let's keep Jeter and then see what happens. Keeping Jeter is imperative.
Wholeheartedly agree.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

good bye #1 recruiting class and any chance that 19 was going to be a good year for AZ Basketball.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

This is going to be a pretty depressing thread pretty soon.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Assuming we find some way to escape the NCAA/FBI jungle we may still have a shot at Ballo

https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 128837727/" target="_blank

Ballo previously told 247Sports that his list of schools also included Arizona and Baylor. He said on Thursday that he would still like to take an official visit to Arizona, although a date has been scheduled.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Some good news about Mannion and his desire to play for Miller.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 812854002/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wouldn't start panicking yet, guys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I wouldn't start panicking yet, guys.
Too late.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Fucking rollercoaster :lol:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Green says he will wear #0 at AZ
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Jefe wrote:Green says he will wear #0 at AZ
I wouldn’t mind another Agent 0. I really would like a sharpshooter and that sharpshooter to put on #20. And NM has my blessing to put on 10 too
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Jefe wrote:I really would like a sharpshooter
I will just settle for a shooter....
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
Randolph is a shooter, too. His shots just don't go in.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

zonagrad wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
I bet his shots go in if his feet aren't moving. There's a metric somewhere but I'm not going to dredge it up.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
I bet his shots go in if his feet aren't moving. There's a metric somewhere but I'm not going to dredge it up.
This is what I noticed. He doesn’t set his feet when shooting. The only shots a player can make without being set are layups and floaters. And floaters take a lot of practice. If a shooter is moving horizontally around 3-point range it is nearly impossible to make a shot. Randolph seems to lack fundamental skills of setting his feet when shooting, something he should have learned long ago. He may have good athleticism and potential, however, how teachable is he?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It's more about balance than just setting your feet - your feet can be set but you are falling back or sideways and that can be the difference.

I actually think he has a good technical stroke and have seen him take plenty of good shots. You hear CSM talk a lot about "confidence" and you'd be amazed how much that actually plays into how well a player shoots.

Some guys can do it in practice but not in games (Barcello) so not sure what Randolph's problem is.

Not sure how hard he works in practice but if I were him I would add another 500 practice shots a day. Sometimes it's just that simple.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Yeah, his stroke looks good, but if he's in transition, is dribbling or moving in any way such that he has to engage that thing between his ears he just makes me cringe. Set plays or shots made from 3 off someone else's drive and kick, FTs, if he knows beforehand exactly what's coming, are good shots for him. All the rest...oh brother.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

But he's going to kill it for the rest of the season.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Catintheheat wrote:. Randolph seems to lack fundamental skills of setting his feet when shooting, something he should have learned long ago. He may have good athleticism and potential, however, how teachable is he?
See, this is something that bugs me. It almost sounds like a recruiting failure. It's very risky offering scholarships to players who lack these fundamentals, and it feels like we've had a lot of them lately. Randolph and Akot for sure. I even think Rawle left a lot to be desired fundamentally. Every time he dribbled I got nervous.

I wonder if our coaches become enamored with sheer athleticism to the neglect of things like shooting form, dribbling, defensive positioning, boxing out, etc. If a player hasn't developed a basic skill level in these areas before college, he's always going to be struggling to catch up, which is what I think we're seeing with Randolph.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:. Randolph seems to lack fundamental skills of setting his feet when shooting, something he should have learned long ago. He may have good athleticism and potential, however, how teachable is he?
See, this is something that bugs me. It almost sounds like a recruiting failure. It's very risky offering scholarships to players who lack these fundamentals, and it feels like we've had a lot of them lately. Randolph and Akot for sure. I even think Rawle left a lot to be desired fundamentally. Every time he dribbled I got nervous.

I wonder if our coaches become enamored with sheer athleticism to the neglect of things like shooting form, dribbling, defensive positioning, boxing out, etc. If a player hasn't developed a basic skill level in these areas before college, he's always going to be struggling to catch up, which is what I think we're seeing with Randolph.
Yeah, we need more guys like Barcello, who have shooting form nailed down.

At 17, there aren't a ton of guys who have fundamentals and athleticism both. Name me how many freshmen in this class have them? RJ Barrett was shooting 32% from 3 before he lit Virginia up.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Koloko looks like he has pretty good hands in those highlights. Looks like he has pretty quick twitch athleticism too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Help is on the way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The more I watch Armstrong, the more he reminds me of Randolph, hopefully with a better basketball IQ.

Koloko...he has some potential, but he needs to develop his body and maybe an offensive game outside layups and dunks.

Please just settle things with Miller, bring them in and next year will be like we're used to.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Please just settle things with Miller, bring them in and next year will be like we're used to.
The collective hope of Wildcat nation.