let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: let's talk '18

Post by catgrad97 »

Private institution. Don't have to report what the publics do to the NCAA. The chief Duke advantage.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Zion Williamson to Duke holy crap, monster class.
And the FBI is nowhere to be found...
Let’s all just pretend a half mil didn’t just change hands.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:Private institution. Don't have to report what the publics do to the NCAA. The chief Duke advantage.
If this were true, wouldn't there by other private schools doing very well with recruiting? Gonzaga? Stanford? LMU? The Ivies?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Private institution. Don't have to report what the publics do to the NCAA. The chief Duke advantage.
If this were true, wouldn't there by other private schools doing very well with recruiting? Gonzaga? Stanford? LMU? The Ivies?
Ivy league does not have athletic scholarships.

The question isn't just reporting, it's where the money comes from. USC is private, but where did their $ come from. Fwiw, Gonzaga does very well for their size and Stanford could.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

The question isn't just reporting, it's where the money comes from. USC is private, but where did their $ come from. Fwiw, Gonzaga does very well for their size and Stanford could.
Ivies may not have athletic scholies, but if we're calling private schools (like Duke) cheaters, why couldn't Ivies be finding other creative ways to entice athletes to commit?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Ivies may not have athletic scholies, but if we're calling private schools (like Duke) cheaters, why couldn't Ivies be finding other creative ways to entice athletes to commit?
Because ultimately Ivies don't give a rat's ass about athletics. They don't need a successful athletic program to be able to get people interested to apply to their schools. The fact that they are an Ivy school is enough based on reputation alone. Duke of course has a positive reputation academically as well, but basketball provides an edge over Ivy schools that they wouldn't have otherwise.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Mark Titus talks about this as a recruiting advantage all the time on his One Shining Podcast.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kruger
YoDeFoe wrote:
Mark Titus talks about this as a recruiting advantage all the time on his One Shining Podcast.
And using coaching USA basketball and Jeff Capel
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

There are recruiting advantages...

But the "qualifying for Duke"...there has never been an expectation that an athlete, or any special talent exception, actually qualify for an institution under the normal guidelines. The NCAA guidelines are the same across the board for Stanford, Duke, us, etc. Partial qualifiers and that kind of thing allow for some movement, but no one who has ever played for Duke actually got into Duke on merit. Or Stanford.

They play in the same pool as Fresno State when it comes to academically qualifying for NCAA Athletics.
DiehardDave37

Dupe!

Post by DiehardDave37 »

:oops:
Last edited by DiehardDave37 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

The Ivies have grants provided by rich and famous fat cat graduates.
I'm surprised that Texas ever has a down year. I hear there is a lot of oil money flowing there. I hear it more about them than OK. I don't know why.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

7 footer #21 Moses Brown to UCLA
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I'm surprised that Texas ever has a down year. I hear there is a lot of oil money flowing there. I hear it more about them than OK. I don't know why.
A&M has been the biggest beneficiary, I'd wager. That's a big part of the reason why their expectations have sky rocketed since the mid-2000s: the influx of oil money to their boosters. Specifically shale oil money from the Permian Basin (W. Texas) and the Eagle Ford play (S. Texas). Bunch of ranchers and old land holders just made a ton on land leases, many A&M grads, and a bunch more cash has been made by A&M grads working those deposits (upstream exploration).

I'm speculating but that's my take from working a lot in Houston, Austin, and San Antonio over the last five years.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Yeah, it makes sense that oil men would go to A&M rather than Texas.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

EVCat wrote:There are recruiting advantages...

But the "qualifying for Duke"...there has never been an expectation that an athlete, or any special talent exception, actually qualify for an institution under the normal guidelines. The NCAA guidelines are the same across the board for Stanford, Duke, us, etc. Partial qualifiers and that kind of thing allow for some movement, but no one who has ever played for Duke actually got into Duke on merit. Or Stanford.

They play in the same pool as Fresno State when it comes to academically qualifying for NCAA Athletics.
Clearly, athletes are given latitude when it comes to meeting admission standards, but private institutions do have rigid, strict standards that they adhere to -- it is very difficult to qualify for those institutions without meeting a number of highly competitive academic criteria. This is not Kentucky or Kansas getting a guy in that normally would not qualify -- this is Duke, arguably one of the top ten academic universities in the nation. Even looser athletic standards at Duke should require kids to have respectable, legitimate GPAs and test scores (and some probably do on occasion). The fact that any kid who wants to play basketball for Coach K can qualify for one of the finest institutions in the country is a farce, which everyone in the media seems to overlook. And Stanford does not have the same lax admission standards as Duke for its athletes.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Back to Arizona. What a wasted class. It could have been one of Miller's best, with possibly two-to-three top ten commits. Fortunately two kids stayed committed (with the ability to still decommit), but it is discouraging to see everything unravel. The university needs to get in front of this FBI/NCAA situation and come to some sort of resolution because the longer this cloud of uncertainly hangs over the program, the likelihood future recruiting is going to take a hit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:7 footer #21 Moses Brown to UCLA
That has nothing to do with the fact he's an UnderArmour kid obviously.

Meanwhile in Tucson.....Bueller? Bueller...?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... 2018-oneal" target="_blank

Lets hope whatever sanctions hit us in the offseason don't drive this kid to ucla or asu
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... 2018-oneal

Lets hope whatever sanctions hit us in the offseason don't drive this kid to ucla or asu
He'll be at AZ. Not worried.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

He scored 12 of his team’s 14 points in overtime after a 75-75 deadlock in regulation. His basket in the final seconds of regulation sent the game into overtime. Crespi rallied from a 10-point deficit in the final two minutes.

Crespi improved to 20-2 and stayed unbeaten in the Mission League.

:shock: :D
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

TNT doing a Shaq/Shareef short doc thingy rn.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Offer the guy already for fuck sakes Sean, he's by far and away the best talent available in your territory and he fits your system.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ChooChooCat wrote:Offer the guy already for fuck sakes Sean, he's by far and away the best talent available in your territory and he fits your system.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Thank you 6 pound 12 ounce baby jesus!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nice call Choo. He has been your target for awhile
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gershon has one.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... redictions" target="_blank
0 to 100 baby!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Wouldn't you know it we offered Tevian Jones too.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Have we been recruiting Doutrive for a while? What about Jones?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Have we been recruiting Doutrive for a while? What about Jones?
Phelps and Romar have gone to watch Doutrive a couple of times and finally Miller went to check for himself last night and offered him and his teammate a scholarship last night. As far as Jones goes he's actually from Arizona (or at least played in the state last year) and he visited us. He's very tight with Reef and both Jones and Doutrive actually played on Reef and Bol's AAU team as well. I know Phelps has been keeping tabs on Jones, but I'm not sure to what extent. Either way we're finally recruiting the two best remaining prospects in our region and will probably land at least one of them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Have we been recruiting Doutrive for a while? What about Jones?
Phelps and Romar have gone to watch Doutrive a couple of times and finally Miller went to check for himself last night and offered him and his teammate a scholarship last night. As far as Jones goes he's actually from Arizona (or at least played in the state last year) and he visited us. He's very tight with Reef and both Jones and Doutrive actually played on Reef and Bol's AAU team as well. I know Phelps has been keeping tabs on Jones, but I'm not sure to what extent. Either way we're finally recruiting the two best remaining prospects in our region and will probably land at least one of them.
Thanks, Choo. That all sounds promising. What’s your feeling on Williams? Think he’s heading elsewhere?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Thanks, Choo. That all sounds promising. What’s your feeling on Williams? Think he’s heading elsewhere?
As long as Sean Miller is our coach and we don't get absolutely reamed by the NCAA prior to the summer he will be at Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
As long as Sean Miller is our coach and we don't get absolutely reamed by the NCAA prior to the summer he will be at Arizona.
I don’t think we’re getting reamed. And I think Miller will be at AZ for a long time. So I do expect BW to be a Wildcat.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Yessss

Rain dance is working... keep it up :D
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Wouldn't you know it we offered Tevian Jones too.
Kansas is one over their scholarship limit already for 2018 counting their planned departures. Don't see them as a threat here. Jones noted previously that he wants to go to a winning program so that should also help our case.

Jones is averaging 20 and 10 in his senior year of high school player. His older brother was a bit of a shit head, getting kicked off of both Mizzou and Fresno teams, so if we get Tevian I hope he learned from his brother's mistakes.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

At last...some good news. Awesome actually. Keep it coming.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Upgraded to "warmer" with Devonaire Doutrive. Gershon and Jerry Meyer think he will choose UA.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Upgraded to "warmer" with Devonaire Doutrive. Gershon and Jerry Meyer think he will choose UA.
Yeah I think he's pretty much a done deal. Jones will require more work however.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Upgraded to "warmer" with Devonaire Doutrive. Gershon and Jerry Meyer think he will choose UA.
Yeah I think he's pretty much a done deal. Jones will require more work however.
Why is that about Jones? We've got two of his AAU teammates in Williams and Reef, and he previously listed Arizona as one of his dream schools where he'd like to play alongside Reef. I know we're late with the offer but our relationship seems really strong.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Tevian Jones:
Contenders: Arizona, California, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Illinois, Mississippi State, UNLV and Xavier, among others.

Buzz: One of the hotter names in the country, Jones has really taken off as a senior, thanks to rapidly improving ball handling and jump shooting. Illinois has been really active and his latest offer came after Sean Miller of Arizona watched him. Oregon is expected in this week and could become a contender with an offer. He's yet to set or take any official visits and will schedule them at the conclusion of his senior season.

Prediction: He's a tough call until he sets visits, but I'll go Illinois for now because they were the first major to jump onboard this winter.
Devonaire Doutrieve:
Contenders: Arizona, Georgetown, UNLV and others.

Buzz: The most recent offers for the high-scoring combo guard have come from Georgetown and Arizona. That offer from Sean Miller has generated a lot of buzz, and the Wildcats look to be making their move.

Prediction: Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Why is that about Jones? We've got two of his AAU teammates in Williams and Reef, and he previously listed Arizona as one of his dream schools where he'd like to play alongside Reef. I know we're late with the offer but our relationship seems really strong.
Sorry, just saw your post, but as Bossi mentioned in the post above there he's generated a lot of buzz and some schools I.E. Illinois have been on him longer, while we backed off him and prioritized bigger names (Little/Barrett) and then disappeared from recruiting 2018 altogether. He's no sure thing and we're going to have to work for it to land him, but certainly doesn't mean we can't. Doutrive on the other hand you can pretty much write in stone.

On another note Rivals has Doutrive criminally underranked.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Thanks for the insights, Choo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Since I had a very unproductive morning of work, I instead decided to do some research as to who could be a grad transfer candidate for us this year. Obviously no guarantee these guys will be a grad transfer, but they are eligible to do so.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... on-menzies" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-mekowulu" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jah-minnie" target="_blank

I'm real productive when I'm bored obviously.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

I am very excited for a team of 4 and 3 star athletic players who come into the system ready to be molded.

Look at Nova or UVA, that's what we should be. Fuck the one and done overload, those programs are much more interesting
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Since I had a very unproductive morning of work, I instead decided to do some research as to who could be a grad transfer candidate for us this year. Obviously no guarantee these guys will be a grad transfer, but they are eligible to do so.

Is that first kid Marvin Menzies son? If so, I doubt we're beating UNLV out for his services.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Since I had a very unproductive morning of work, I instead decided to do some research as to who could be a grad transfer candidate for us this year. Obviously no guarantee these guys will be a grad transfer, but they are eligible to do so.

Is that first kid Marvin Menzies son? If so, I doubt we're beating UNLV out for his services.
Is Marvin Menzies from Manchester, England? Does Marvin Menzies have the genes to produce a child that would grow to 7'3 285lbs? lol. All in all I don't think they're related, especially since the Menzies kid is white, and if they were related he probably wouldn't have been at Seattle U for the past 4 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Is Marvin Menzies from Manchester, England? Does Marvin Menzies have the genes to produce a child that would grow to 7'3 285lbs? lol. All in all I don't think they're related and if they were he wouldn't have started his career at Seattle U, but rather at NMSU or at the very least transfer to UNLV last season when Marvin got the job there.
I don't know much about Marvin Menzies. Maybe Marvin is the government father but his wife was cheating on him? Maybe he's part of the large Las Cruces British community? Lots of possibilities here.