let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Since I had a very unproductive morning of work, I instead decided to do some research as to who could be a grad transfer candidate for us this year. Obviously no guarantee these guys will be a grad transfer, but they are eligible to do so.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... on-menzies" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... n-mekowulu" target="_blank
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... jah-minnie" target="_blank

I'm real productive when I'm bored obviously.
Is that first kid Marvin Menzies son? If so, I doubt we're beating UNLV out for his services.
Is Marvin Menzies from Manchester, England? Does Marvin Menzies have the genes to produce a child that would grow to 7'3 285lbs? lol. All in all I don't think they're related and if they were he wouldn't have started his career at Seattle U, but rather at NMSU or at the very least transfer to UNLV last season when Marvin got the job there.
I don't know much about Marvin Menzies. Maybe Marvin is the government father but his wife was cheating on him? Maybe he's part of the large Las Cruces British community? Lots of possibilities here.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I'll take any one of the 3. Menzies is my first choice. He looks and sounds like a beast. I'm a genealogist. The same last name might carry some weight and it just as well might not.
I'd also like Minnie the Pgh kid. I'm from there also. They make good savage life teammates (apologies to Rawle). He could also develop into a good stretch 4, since that is in vogue these days.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Is J'Raan Brooks, PF from Washington, an option?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote:Is J'Raan Brooks, PF from Washington, an option?
St. John's commit

edit: NEVERMIND, just decommitted.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He was originally committed to USC so idk. Looks like Arizona never offered. If he was a center maybe.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:He was originally committed to USC so idk. Looks like Arizona never offered. If he was a center maybe.
Yeah doubt we're the team with Lee and O'Neal both occupying the same skill set and size as Brooks. Unless he wants to be a four year rotation player.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So our greatest remaining ‘18 need is size, right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
NYCat wrote:He was originally committed to USC so idk. Looks like Arizona never offered. If he was a center maybe.
Yeah doubt we're the team with Lee and O'Neal both occupying the same skill set and size as Brooks. Unless he wants to be a four year rotation player.
I don't know. There are 3 types of players you can't have too many of in college. I'd say athletic, 6'8-6'9 posts with skill are one type.

When Jeter sits, we'll be playing a 2 PF post rotation most likely. I would think the minutes are there, bc a good player can keep Jeter to 25 mpg unless Jeter is waaay better than I think he is.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
I don't know. There are 3 types of players you can't have too many of in college. I'd say athletic, 6'8-6'9 posts with skill are one type.

When Jeter sits, we'll be playing a 2 PF post rotation most likely. I would think the minutes are there, bc a good player can keep Jeter to 25 mpg unless Jeter is waaay better than I think he is.
I love me some versatile 6'8" guys in college ball. And we've been thirsty for them for years now.

I just don't think Brooks is looking for 10min/g as the fourth option in the post for the next two years (at least). Not that it'd be a bad role for him, just guessing he's hoping for more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I love me some versatile 6'8" guys in college ball. And we've been thirsty for them for years now.

I just don't think Brooks is looking for 10min/g as the fourth option in the post for the next two years (at least). Not that it'd be a bad role for him, just guessing he's hoping for more.
Yeah, there are always two parties in recruiting. If we were selling him, I'd sell him that we're playing a pair of 6'8 dudes in the post for 15+ MPG for the forseeable future, and he could be one of them. Adding to the 40 mpg a 6'8 dude would get at PF alone.

I think we'd have 55 MPG avail for 3 guys who are 6'8. Whether that's too little for him...?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Already recruiting/offered a 6'8 4 from Washington in the '19 class

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaden-McDaniels-46046881" target="_blank
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Am I reading that right? 247 is saying we have 0 PFs now? What are Pinder and Lee? He is listed at 175 lbs. Chris Rounds, here he comes. :shock:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Am I reading that right? 247 is saying we have 0 PFs now? What are Pinder and Lee? He is listed at 175 lbs. Chris Rounds, here he comes. :shock:
Lee and O'Neal are both PF's who should be here in '19 barring transfer.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... ton-hagans" target="_blank

What's the going rate for a 5-star PG?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Shareef to UCLA.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Longhorned wrote:Shareef to UCLA.
Dear Lord,

Am I being punished?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

btfd16 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Shareef to UCLA.
Dear Lord,

Am I being punished?
Yeah, for all the good stuff that's happened to Arizona basketball recently.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The price we have to pay for our coach's vindication: he leaves.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Thank you sweet baby Jesus
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Well, he'll definitely get time, shots and chances to lead for the forseeable future.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Damn. What a stud.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:
I'm not seeing that reply by Williams...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I'm not seeing that reply by Williams...
Yeah I haven't seen that reply. If true though build that kid a fucking statue and send every attractive girl on campus to his dorm room.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Sahweeeeeeeet!!!

That is the kind of kid we want here!

Wonder if we can get a confirmation from Schlumnutz.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Maybe Arizona has become more popular with recruits since the ESPN story broke. Lol.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Maybe Arizona has become more popular with recruits since the ESPN story broke. Lol.
Scheer's tweet was in regards to what recruiting looked like prior to this ESPN story.

On a side note I've been told not to be surprised if O'Neal decommits from UCLA. The O'Neal family watched the Miller presser and are feeling an extreme amount of remorse and guilt. They never expected ESPN to be the lying schills that they are and I certainly don't blame them for that. Now I wouldn't expect Reef to end up back at Arizona, as that wouldn't look good for him, but don't be surprised if he decommits and ends up at a school outside of the Pac-12 as a "favor" to Miller and Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
Scheer's tweet was in regards to what recruiting looked like prior to this ESPN story.

On a side note I've been told not to be surprised if O'Neal decommits from UCLA. The O'Neal family watched the Miller presser and are feeling an extreme amount of remorse and guilt. They never expected ESPN to be the lying schills that they are and I certainly don't blame them for that. Now I wouldn't expect Reef to end up back at Arizona, as that wouldn't look good for him, but don't be surprised if he decommits and ends up at a school outside of the Pac-12 as a "favor" to Miller and Arizona.
I don't wish Shareef ill. I'd take him back.

I remember back to Friday, I was certain Miller was gone and our program would be wandering in the wilderness for 5 year minimum. I can understand why Shareef would decommit if he only gets 4 years of that.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Doutrieve was looking like he was going to commit this week, is that done? Jones probably looking like he's going illinois
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Doutrieve was looking like he was going to commit this week, is that done? Jones probably looking like he's going illinois
Who knows at this point? So many things went topsy turvy. Brandon Williams is still up in the air, maybe we can convince Doutrive to come out for a visit still, Jones was always going to be decided after the regular season and probably tourney are over. At this point it's all on Sean Miller selling every one on the fact that he's going to be Arizona's head coach next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Doutrieve was looking like he was going to commit this week, is that done? Jones probably looking like he's going illinois
Who knows at this point? So many things went topsy turvy. Brandon Williams is still up in the air, maybe we can convince Doutrive to come out for a visit still, Jones was always going to be decided after the regular season and probably tourney are over. At this point it's all on Sean Miller selling every one on the fact that he's going to be Arizona's head coach next season.
That press conference was a good start. Miller brought his A game for that.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Even though Reef thinks he's a wing I would want him back just to get some size. Just roll with 3 wings.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't see Reef changing his mind again. He already looks pretty flaky, and another switch would make it worse.

Let him go play for Alford. See how that works out. My guess: a middling Pac finish or two and a premature NBA draft entry.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:I can't see Reef changing his mind again. He already looks pretty flaky, and another switch would make it worse.

Let him go play for Alford. See how that works out. My guess: a middling Pac finish or two and a premature NBA draft entry.
I don't think he's flaky. Did any of us honestly think Arizona basketball wasn't DOA in the hour after the ESPN report dropped? I did. If I was a high schooler, I wouldn't want to walk into a program that was about to lose a coach and get hammered by the NCAA. Pretty much everyone thought that's what we were.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I can't see Reef changing his mind again. He already looks pretty flaky, and another switch would make it worse.

I don't think he's flaky. Did any of us honestly think Arizona basketball wasn't DOA in the hour after the ESPN report dropped? I did. If I was a high schooler, I wouldn't want to walk into a program that was about to lose a coach and get hammered by the NCAA. Pretty much everyone thought that's what we were.
He may not be flakey, but unless he had a reason other than the Miller situation, he's sure dumb. Why not wait until the conclusion of the Miller situation? What's the rush?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s so nice just to see this thread bumped and updated
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just can't believe he decommitted and committed in 2 days. That's weird unless he was already looking for a way out without looking like he wasn't a man of his word
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:I just can't believe he decommitted and committed in 2 days. That's weird unless he was already looking for a way out without looking like he wasn't a man of his word
UCLA was his backup from the get go the second the Ball family split ways with that program. It's not that he wasn't a man of his word, he was just prepared for the worst with Arizona due to the FBI stuff.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I don't know why Williams is deciding this weekend BTW. If he chooses to stay but Miller is gone after the season, so is Williams.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrMeow wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He may not be flakey, but unless he had a reason other than the Miller situation, he's sure dumb. Why not wait until the conclusion of the Miller situation? What's the rush?
I don't know, I must be dumb too. When fhat article broke, I thought it was a conclusion to the Miller situation. I thought he was done. It wasn't until Sunday/Monday I had any hope, and even Wed/Thurs, we had peoe talking about a negotiated split.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I just can't believe he decommitted and committed in 2 days. That's weird unless he was already looking for a way out without looking like he wasn't a man of his word
UCLA was his backup from the get go the second the Ball family split ways with that program. It's not that he wasn't a man of his word, he was just prepared for the worst with Arizona due to the FBI stuff.
But why not wait a couple days to see what actually had happened to see what AZ does? He didn't walk away, he ran!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
But why not wait a couple days to see what actually had happened to see what AZ does? He didn't walk away, he ran!
Read my original post, the family feels awful about it, but they didn't expect ESPN to have such shoddy journalism. Why would they? It's hard to blame them for preparing for the doomsday scenario they thought could come to pass and then acting on it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrMeow wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

This is what I'm saying. What's the rush?
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Jaleyk Felton transferring from UNC. No clue what he did to get suspended or why he is leaving, but it seems to be a decent available body (based on his HS days). Just throwing things out there and see what sticks.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Jaleyk Felton transferring from UNC. No clue what he did to get suspended or why he is leaving, but it seems to be a decent available body (based on his HS days). Just throwing things out there and see what sticks.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sexual assault, no thanks.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Read my original post, the family feels awful about it, but they didn't expect ESPN to have such shoddy journalism. Why would they? It's hard to blame them for preparing for the doomsday scenario they thought could come to pass and then acting on it.
Again, why the rush? Was Alford going to close him out if he didn't commit in two days? Maybe dumb is a family trait.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

UCLA got Reef instead of Jordan Brown lol
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

NYCat wrote:UCLA got Reef instead of Jordan Brown lol
I wonder if the 2 players suspended from the China fallout leave for a fresh start. Although they probably would have left in December. Seems to me that UCLA will have the scholarships available to Brown. I don't think Reef is any type of threat to his playing time.