let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SunnyAZ

Re: let's talk '19

Post by SunnyAZ »

Nico assist to Josh!
Last edited by SunnyAZ on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

SunnyAZ wrote:Nico assist to Josh!
And Josh returns the favor. Nico has been the best player so far and pretty much all the best players are in the game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Randolph is declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Chicat wrote:Randolph is declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent.
Hopefully he gets some good workouts out of it.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Team USA puts Scottie Lewis on Nico. Probably the best perimeter defender in the game. Interesting to see how this goes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Randolph is declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent.
I'm thinking not hiring that agent is a solid decision.

Nico is legit. I'm really excited to see him at Arizona.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Nico is really fuckin good
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

One complaint about Nico: he has been super ball dominant this game. He's playing more like Harden or CP3 where they basically do everything and everybody else is there to finish one of his passes (either on a dive off the PnR or a spot up). Hopefully he gets a little more like Nash or Kidd where they give the ball early and just keep the ball moving instead of just dribbling a lot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Like that Nico's dad has Arizona gear on.

If Nico plays like CP3, he should play like CP3. He can make those plays for people. I'd rather watch him dominate the ball on pick and rolls than watch PJC try to run a pick and roll in late clock.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Big fan of Green's energy and D too. He could be our best wing defender from day 1, and we've missed that NJ, Rondae type of guy on the wing. They're flexing him onto Anthony even.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Green reminds me of Stanley except a lot better passer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One small thing about Nico, notice how as soon as he catches an outlet, his head is up and looking to throw the ball ahead. I love that instinct in a PG.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Main Event wrote:Nico is really fuckin good
He reminds me of Austin Rivers
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
Don't put that evil on us. I've been nothing but nice about your new man-baby HC.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

MrBug708 wrote:
Better passer and more of a pure point than Austin Rivers. My favorite comp is Goran Dragic...kid is going to light it up next year. Not sure we’ll be seeing him for more than one year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any vids of Nico tonight? Missed the game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Any vids of Nico tonight? Missed the game.
Game ended two minutes ago. Wait a bit and hit YouTube.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

If you have ESPN you can watch the whole game on WatchESPN
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7VM-g0J--w" target="_blank

Josh Green DX interview.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He's had a shoulder issue in the past and apparently this is the other shoulder. Put him in bubble wrap until November, he's way too important.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Game ended two minutes ago. Wait a bit and hit YouTube.
Thanks, Spiff. I just thought maybe someone found it before I could. There’s now a vid of all his highlights last night. He’s a special player. No way he stays longer than one season. His single season impact could be bigger than any freshman we’ve had under Miller.

Speaking of Miller, the “let’s hire Luke Walton!” tweets were out of control yesterday.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hire Walton as what? To fill the vacant assistant role? That is about all he is qualified for in college basketball. I would take Jason Terry over him in a heartbeat as an assistant coach
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:Hire Walton as what? To fill the vacant assistant role? That is about all he is qualified for in college basketball. I would take Jason Terry over him in a heartbeat as an assistant coach
You would hire Jason terry over Luke Walton for our vacant assistant coach role?
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Newportcat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Hire Walton as what? To fill the vacant assistant role? That is about all he is qualified for in college basketball. I would take Jason Terry over him in a heartbeat as an assistant coach
You would hire Jason terry over Luke Walton for our vacant assistant coach role?
In a heartbeat, at least as an assistant. Our guard play has been horrible. I also think he would connect with these kids as a recruiter much better. Luke would cost way too much in comparison. To me if I was filling that asst role with an Ex UofA guy, I would choose the jet.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Something about Green is Nick Johnson-y.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Something about Green is Nick Johnson-y.
A lot about him is.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Good, because he is one of my faves, his third year he was Dyn-o-mite!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote: He's had a shoulder issue in the past and apparently this is the other shoulder. Put him in bubble wrap until November, he's way too important.
And so it begins.....
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Going to be so damn good
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

azcat49 wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
In a heartbeat, at least as an assistant. Our guard play has been horrible. I also think he would connect with these kids as a recruiter much better. Luke would cost way too much in comparison. To me if I was filling that asst role with an Ex UofA guy, I would choose the jet.
Interesting

I would take Luke in a heart beat

But don’t disagree about our guard play
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I haven’t read anything to the contrary so I would assume that Luke will be paid his ‘19/20 salary by the Lakers. You wouldn’t take Luke as Special Assistant for a year for free?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh gosh yes Chi. He would bring some thoughts to how to play offense and creat shots for our guys do yes, Thad is a brilliant idea. If we could only make that happen
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Luke is going to be the coach of the Kings.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Does Arizona keep Nico Mannion's commitment, if Miller gets let go after his trial summer? Who was his second choice? Duke?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Luke is going to be the coach of the Kings.
Then he’ll get the chance to coach the guy he actually wanted in the 2017 draft.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

enfuego wrote:Does Arizona keep Nico Mannion's commitment, if Miller gets let go after his trial summer? Who was his second choice? Duke?
Miller ain't going nowhere. This trial is a colossal nothing burger. GFY.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:Does Arizona keep Nico Mannion's commitment, if Miller gets let go after his trial summer? Who was his second choice? Duke?
Sean Miller’s trial?

Your trolling, much like Bill Self’s coaching, is steadily getting worse and less effective.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote: Interesting

I would take Luke in a heart beat

But don’t disagree about our guard play
Thought this was interesting enough to share.

One of my closest friends went to college with one of the Lakers’ video editors. This guy’s at all practices and games, and has gotten to know Luke pretty well the last few years.

His impression is that Luke will never be a college HC, that he has no interest in it. Luke loves the NBA and will often say things to the effect of “I don’t know why guys like Calipari and Self don’t take pro coaching jobs.” Luke’s perception of college coaching, according to this guy, is that it’s far more trouble than it’s worth.

Take it for what it’s worth. But I imagine this will come as disappointing hearsay to those here who really see Luke as a possible AZ coach someday. If Luke had interest in college, don’t you think he’d be going after jobs at that level? Why would he so quickly take the Sacramento job if the endgame was a solid NCAA gig?

The guy is young, of course, and has a lot of career ahead of him. But I think this take on Luke is legit. If Miller should be let go anytime soon, I don’t think Luke is a realistic option.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I have heard similar things too in terms of not liking how the recruiting game works

I have also heard the only job he would ever consider in college is Arizona given his connections to the school and his wife being from Tucson.

Keep in mind though coaching careers in the nba are so short lived. Here today gone today

I easily see why PayPal Cal has stayed in college. Shit he also makes a ton more money doing it too

In college coaches are the stars. In the nba, I could not even name many coaches anymore

I think luke really wants to say fuck you to the Lakers and that’s why he took the Kings job. I also do not see him taking some random college job either
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Luke is going to be the coach of the Kings.
Sweet!

I may have consider season tickets.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:I have heard similar things too in terms of not liking how the recruiting game works

I have also heard the only job he would ever consider in college is Arizona given his connections to the school and his wife being from Tucson.

Keep in mind though coaching careers in the nba are so short lived. Here today gone today

I easily see why PayPal Cal has stayed in college. Shit he also makes a ton more money doing it too

In college coaches are the stars. In the nba, I could not even name many coaches anymore

I think luke really wants to say fuck you to the Lakers and that’s why he took the Kings job. I also do not see him taking some random college job either
I guess we’ll see just how real that “only job he would ever consider” sentiment truly is.

I actually hope the AZ job remains Miller’s for a long while since if he still has that job 5 years from now, it has to be because he turned things around in a major way. I’m not sure how much longer he’ll stay if there isn’t significant progress in 2019-20. Two seasons? One?

And the next time the job opens up, I expect a lot of interest from distinguished, deserving coaches. AZ is the best job in the Pac (or maybe Oregon), and I trust we’ll be pleased with whoever next coaches this team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:I have heard similar things too in terms of not liking how the recruiting game works

Like Larry Brown said, the main difference in coaching college and the NBA is that in college, the players still listen to you.

Saying that, recruiting just has to be a nightmare.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Like Larry Brown said, the main difference in coaching college and the NBA is that in college, the players still listen to you.

Saying that, recruiting just has to be a nightmare.
Yep. You gotta think this is why some outstanding college coaches like Donovan and Stevens have taken advantage of NBA opportunities. The longer Luke stays as an NBA coach, and the more success he has, the less likely I think it is he ever coaches college, even AZ.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Luke was just the Lakers HC (and didn't do a terrible job), why would he take a college gig after that?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SunnyAZ wrote:Luke was just the Lakers HC (and didn't do a terrible job), why would he take a college gig after that?
Because he doesn't want a college gig, even a very good one. That's sort of the point.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

SunnyAZ wrote:Luke was just the Lakers HC (and didn't do a terrible job), why would he take a college gig after that?
He isn’t taking any college job for sure and I think only would take the Arizona job and even then it would not be guarenteed

I know he rebuffed UCLA pretty quickly when they reached out to him

I also think he has a strong desire to prove that he is a good coach and will be motivated to do that with the Kings
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA didn't reach out to Luke haha
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrBug708 wrote:UCLA didn't reach out to Luke haha
Yes they did, nothing formal but they did