The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Captain Obvious

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by Captain Obvious »

DrWildcat wrote:Preseason media poll is out...motivation.

TEAM (first-place votes) – POINTS
1. Oregon (9) – 291
2. Colorado (9) – 288
3. Washington (6) – 273
4. Arizona (2) – 263
5. USC (1) – 198
6. Arizona State – 187
7. Oregon State – 161
8. UCLA – 148
9. Utah – 131
10. Stanford – 84
11. Washington State – 47
12. California -35
I actually think this is pretty accurate. I think we will struggle in the first half of the Pac schedule and hit our stride in the second half. I'm fine with that. You can have the Pac 12 championship. I really don't care. With our talent and potential we need to aim higher. Nobody really remembers or celebrates conference titles these days (unless you're a Kansas fan). The standards are higher now. We need to make the most of what we have and get the most out of this season. Having a real PG that can score and loads of talent is a luxury we have to take full advantage of.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:Preseason media poll is out...motivation.

TEAM (first-place votes) – POINTS
1. Oregon (9) – 291
2. Colorado (9) – 288
3. Washington (6) – 273
4. Arizona (2) – 263
5. USC (1) – 198
6. Arizona State – 187
7. Oregon State – 161
8. UCLA – 148
9. Utah – 131
10. Stanford – 84
11. Washington State – 47
12. California -35
I actually think this is pretty accurate.
Of course
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:There's going to be no food in McKale Center this coming season? So weird. I hope they let us bring food in, then. My wife and I don't have enough of a time window to go out to dinner before games.
I had a churro at the Red Blue game. All the vendors were serving just like normal. Beer line was 30 mins long

I did see that you cannot bring old cups in and get $3 refills on soda like always. Same charge as buying a new large cup which is $7. At least at football games. Corey Williams was pissed about it
Thank you! Too bad about the beer line, but that's a relief.
wtf they're not doing refill pricing any more?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Jefe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:There's going to be no food in McKale Center this coming season? So weird. I hope they let us bring food in, then. My wife and I don't have enough of a time window to go out to dinner before games.
I had a churro at the Red Blue game. All the vendors were serving just like normal. Beer line was 30 mins long

I did see that you cannot bring old cups in and get $3 refills on soda like always. Same charge as buying a new large cup which is $7. At least at football games. Corey Williams was pissed about it
Thank you! Too bad about the beer line, but that's a relief.
wtf they're not doing refill pricing any more?
The vendor at the UCLA football game who sold me the overpriced $7 coke said I could use the cup at either venue for $3 refills.
Longhorned

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Who’s going to carry around an old cup their whole life hoping for a discounted refill?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PAC12 Media Day: Miller interview:

https://youtu.be/wGslddAL8XA" target="_blank
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote:Who’s going to carry around an old cup their whole life hoping for a discounted refill?
That may or may not be a metaphor for my entire life. Don’t judge me!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's early of course, but Doutrive is sporting the gold jersey.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's early of course, but Doutrive is sporting the gold jersey.
Wow that’s great news if our hope to cut Smith out of the rotation is going to come true. Doutrive being a legitimately good first guard/wing off the bench will make a big difference to this year’s team.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Any update on Baker's status? Do we know around when they should have an answer? And are we being optimistic?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:Any update on Baker's status? Do we know around when they should have an answer? And are we being optimistic?
I'm pretty convinced it isn't happening, so I don't think I'm being optimistic.

If Doutrive is really gold jersey worthy, I'm not sure we need Baker this year, though.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
billk78 wrote:Any update on Baker's status? Do we know around when they should have an answer? And are we being optimistic?

If Doutrive is really gold jersey worthy, I'm not sure we need Baker this year, though.
yeah, I am not very optimistic about Baker. No inside info, just doesn't feel likely to me.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

yeah, I am not very optimistic about Baker. No inside info, just doesn't feel likely to me.
Just timing alone...the good waiver cases usually happen fast.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

As a full blown Doutrive doubter to start the season... this is a wild turn of events for me.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I just don’t think in any world Miller doesn’t play Smith. He will get 12-20 a night worst case
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Guys, Smith isnt getting cut from the rotation.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

As a full blown Doutrive doubter to start the season... this is a wild turn of events for me.
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think every single Doutrive doubter on the site can admit to suspecting that, on the inside, Doutrive may be a basketball phenomenon born in a bench rider's warmup suit. And that all it would ever take to shed that suit is turning on his buying-in switch.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:Guys, Smith isnt getting cut from the rotation.
I mean nor should he be. Miller said it just like we keep saying it: Smith provides a ton of value if he sticks to what he does well, playing hard defense and shooting open threes.

We've got a truly excellent 3&D wing standing 6'5" with a plus wingspan, that's an asset - he just needs to only do those two things.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
I mean nor should he be. Miller said it just like we keep saying it: Smith provides a ton of value if he sticks to what he does well, playing hard defense and shooting open threes.

We've got a truly excellent 3&D wing standing 6'5" with a plus wingspan, that's an asset - he just needs to only do those two things.

CSM should have him do 20 push ups every time he puts the ball on the floor.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

YoDeFoe wrote:

It's not happening...he is what he is at this point imo. The team is much better off playing Mannion, Hazzard, Doutrive, and Green all the minutes they can handle at the 1-3. I would bet Miller disagrees, but doesn't necessarily mean he's right.

That being said, Doutrive having the gold jersey is a positive sign that hopefully Miller is coming to terms with the fact that Doutrive is a legitimate talent and Smith is just not someone that should be playing 10+ mins on a really good team.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:Who’s going to carry around an old cup their whole life hoping for a discounted refill?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

YoDeFoe wrote:

I truly regret calling Smith "truly excellent" at anything goddamn I should calm down sometimes.

Anyways, maybe he can play his role and do like his first year here and take >70% of his shots from three and do like last year and play good D and maybe this season do both at the same time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Doutrive can do things Smith can't. If Doutrive passed Smith up, that would be a very positive overall sign for our season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I truly regret calling Smith "truly excellent" at anything goddamn I should calm down sometimes.

Anyways, maybe he can play his role and do like his first year here and take >70% of his shots from three and do like last year and play good D and maybe this season do both at the same time.
That's one of the confounding things about Smith. He's shown he can be just a catch and shoot guy in 2 full seasons. Trying to be more than that is not going well. You would think he would/could just revert to form relatively easily.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CSM needs to pull Smith as soon as he plays outside his role. I feel this is the time in the last 3 years that Sean will have the personnel to sit guys who aren't playing within their roles
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dylan Smith conf stats

I want his 2017-18 Pac-12 conference offense and 2018-19 defense.

15min/g of play, 4 attempts, 3 from three, 40 / 40 / 85 shooting splits, 1:1 A:TO

Get 5 points, a couple rebounds, and an assist in his fifteen minutes of play, and go all out blanketing his man on the other side. That's not a sexy role but that's the box he can work within.

Completely agree that Miller needs to pull Smith if he steps outside that role. It's for the good of the team but it's also for Smith - if he's going to get a contract anywhere (overseas, obv) he needs to play to his strengths. 3&D isn't a bad strength to bank on.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

84Cat wrote:CSM needs to pull Smith as soon as he plays outside his role. I feel this is the time in the last 3 years that Sean will have the personnel to sit guys who aren't playing within their roles
He needs to get back to this. Liked the time he pulled all 5 starters at Cal. They got the message and stormed back to win. Lute was great as using the pine to get what he wanted
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azcat49 wrote:
84Cat wrote:CSM needs to pull Smith as soon as he plays outside his role. I feel this is the time in the last 3 years that Sean will have the personnel to sit guys who aren't playing within their roles
He needs to get back to this. Liked the time he pulled all 5 starts at Cal. They got the message and stormed back to win. Lute was great as using the pine to get what he wanted
Thankfully this season we have the depth at the two/three/four where if someone isn't getting it, Miller can pull them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kentucky is supporting his appeal. Heard the staff is actually pretty optimistic it gets approved, but who knows?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PieceOfMeat wrote:wtf they're not doing refill pricing any more?
My mistake, I believe they still are but haven't tried it yet. Corey Williams was pissed he had to pay $7 and they gave him a cup from last season

I have a cabinet full haha, I even have cups from the 90s. Always bring 2-3 to bball games for friends. We go to 7-11 and pick up mini bottl, ehhh maybe I should stop there
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Kentucky is supporting his appeal. Heard the staff is actually pretty optimistic it gets approved, but who knows?
That's cool of Cal. I respect that about Cal, he's never been an A-hole to transfers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
That's cool of Cal. I respect that about Cal, he's never been an A-hole to transfers.
He would've liked Jemarl to stay, but obviously his program was far from hurt by his departure, so no reason to be bitter on his end.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

If Baker gets the nod, who gets pushed out of minutes? Smith? Doutrive? Max? Or some combination of all 3?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Lute used to do it on turn-overs...if Miller did this Ira Lee might grow up a little bit...last year his first touch the first half of the season seemed to be a turnover...

"Use the pine, turnovers decline"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:If Baker gets the nod, who gets pushed out of minutes? Smith? Doutrive? Max? Or some combination of all 3?
Likely a combo of all 3.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:If Baker gets the nod, who gets pushed out of minutes? Smith? Doutrive? Max? Or some combination of all 3?
Likely a combo of all 3.
Ideally it fully cuts out Smith from the rotation and leaves 5 guys playing all of the mins at the 1-3...that would be a dream come true. Full steam ahead on FF hopes if Baker is cleared.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Baker getting eligibility is a win/win. We get a shooter who knows how to play and we eliminate Smith from the rotation.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Baker for BWill. Is that an upgrade? I think it might be not only because he is healthy but we trade proven defense for maybe a little less offense
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Nice to see the team offer some transparency. Also, WOW Zeke - getting his game going early.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

In the old country, we called that jersey color "oatmeal"
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

If by "carry around" you mean stick in a cupboard and pull out for gamedays (at home or going to a game) then a lot of people. Families in particular can bring their cups to a handful (or a lot more if you count sports other than just fb and mbb) games a year and save enough cash to make a difference. Also, wtf is wrong with reusing a plastic cup?

I guess not all of us have Longhorned money.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
If by "carry around" you mean stick in a cupboard and pull out for gamedays (at home or going to a game) then a lot of people. Families in particular can bring their cups to a handful (or a lot more if you count sports other than just fb and mbb) games a year and save enough cash to make a difference. Also, wtf is wrong with reusing a plastic cup?

Larry, what did I tell you? Get your goddam dirty fingernails out of my plastic cup. I gotta spend three bucks to drink out of that thing again.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Nice to see the team offer some transparency. Also, WOW Zeke - getting his game going early.
It's nice seeing DD and Zeke winning the gold jersey early. I sort of expect Nico, Green and Jeter will be great. Guys outside of those 3 being ready to go goes a long way in how good we wind up being.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Larry, what did I tell you? Get your goddam dirty fingernails out of my plastic cup. I gotta spend three bucks to drink out of that thing again.
If your friend Larry is sticking his dirty fingernails in your cup, maybe you shouldn't invite larry along. Also, dish soap.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m seriously considering purchasing and carrying around an Argentina bombilla mate straw.

Anything that cuts down on plastic waste is a win in my book.

I personally love my collection of plastic cups going back to the early 2000s. Good mementoes good time me and easy to continue to use. I taken em whenever we have moved.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

So Oregon takes a hit with N'Faly Dante lacking first semester eligibility... can't even practice with the team until Dec at the earliest. Will be tough to work him in as a less experienced player who should be a rising HS senior, has played organized ball in the US for only three years, and speaks English as a second language.

I personally hadn't put a lot of stock in projections that Dante would be an impact freshman for the Ducks - despite his 7'5" wingspan and good defensive timing, he's limited offensively and lacks physical maturity. To me he was just a slight upgrade on Francis Okoro (who owns a 7'3" wingspan and has a year in the system under his belt). I'm curious if Dante even plays this season or if he opts for the pro route (just a gut feeling).

Anyways - small shake-up in the Pac-12 as we head into the season. The Ducks were likely always better suited featuring their collection of incoming wings more than their two monster bigs, so I don't think this knocks them off the preseason throne.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: so I don't think this knocks them off the preseason throne.
But would you take Oregon's roster over ours?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Without N'Faly, I definitely would not take Oregon's roster over ours.

Also - I am getting excited to hear about our secret scrimmage with St. Mary's tomorrow...they're a legit top 25 caliber team, will be interesting to hear how we do.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Without N'Faly, I definitely would not take Oregon's roster over ours.
Me neither. And I may be in the minority, but even *with* N'Faly, I'd still take our roster. Give me the experience of upperclassmen like Jeter and Lee over a raw freshman. N'Faly isn't Ayton. He's a very tall, very athletic player, but in the footage I've seen, he doesn't look like he's simply a game-changer. Don't even think he'd be Oregon's best player.