Tarczewski

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Machina

Re: Tarczewski

Post by Machina »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
Machina wrote:Miller will just need to find a way to eliminate the TOs come March.
So now you're blaming the coach for Kaleb's glass hands?
Evidence you see what you want and not what I actually type.

In March TOs need to be at a minimum. I am saying Miller will need to find a way to get the defensive production from Kaleb without playing 4 on 5 when the Cats have the ball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Ironically Sean Miller talked about Zeus's defense in his presser today. Someone should tell him to read this thread before hand next time
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

“I would say that some of what Kaleb brings to the table in terms of his overall value you don’t really see on the stat sheet,” Miller said. “He’s where he’s supposed to be, he’s physical, he’s hard-working, he’s hard-playing, he’s very determined on defense and that impacts a lot for our team.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

He said some other stuff too.

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 333a3.html
But the process has stalled a bit lately. Tarczewski struggled offensively in No. 7 UA’s 81-78 loss at ASU, and Miller was asked Tuesday whether “Zeus” has met his expectations so far this season.

“Probably not right now,” Miller said.

Tarczewski did grab nine rebounds at ASU, after he had averaged just 2.9 in his previous seven games, but missed passes and shot just 1 for 6 from the field.

He totaled two points and has averaged 6.8 over his past six games.

“Where his struggles are right now are on offense, catching the ball, finishing, having confidence,” Miller said. “I think he’s lost some confidence, but I believe he can get his confidence back, and it’s up to us as a coaching staff to help him get that confidence back.”

“We’re a better team when he can contribute 10 points or more, and he’s certainly capable.”

Although Miller said after the ASU game that the Wildcats lacked “rim protection,” Miller did not express much disappointment about Tarczewski’s rebounding and defense, in part because forwards Stanley Johnson (6.8) and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (6.4) are grabbing a big share of rebounds.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
az91

Post by az91 »

Even Miller has admitted to being disappointed by Tarc's performance this year. I appreciate his honesty.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Really? I'd like to see where he "admitted" he was "disappointed" by Zeus's performance this year...
az91

Post by az91 »

Olsondogg wrote:Really? I'd like to see where he "admitted" he was "disappointed" by Zeus's performance this year...

This is inferred in this part of the article: "...Miller was asked Tuesday whether “Zeus” has met his expectations so far this season.

“Probably not right now,” Miller said." Is it not a disappointment when you cannot meet expectations?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Olsondogg wrote:“I would say that some of what Kaleb brings to the table in terms of his overall value you don’t really see on the stat sheet,” Miller said. “He’s where he’s supposed to be, he’s physical, he’s hard-working, he’s hard-playing, he’s very determined on defense and that impacts a lot for our team.
So wait, this quote tells you that he's a great defender? You certainly read what you want to.
Machina

Post by Machina »

threenumberones wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:“I would say that some of what Kaleb brings to the table in terms of his overall value you don’t really see on the stat sheet,” Miller said. “He’s where he’s supposed to be, he’s physical, he’s hard-working, he’s hard-playing, he’s very determined on defense and that impacts a lot for our team.
So wait, this quote tells you that he's a great defender? You certainly read what you want to.
Not sure great is the right word but best option in the paint by a long way on this team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Last time I saw Korcheck play outside of garbage minutes two players drove right by him on consecutive possession and he was immediately yanked.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

az91 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Really? I'd like to see where he "admitted" he was "disappointed" by Zeus's performance this year...

This is inferred in this part of the article: "...Miller was asked Tuesday whether “Zeus” has met his expectations so far this season.

“Probably not right now,” Miller said." Is it not a disappointment when you cannot meet expectations?
You might get a different sense of Miller's tone if you watch the press conference where that's taken from.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Merkin wrote:Last time I saw Korcheck play outside of garbage minutes two players drove right by him on consecutive possession and he was immediately yanked.
Same thing happened to DR on Saturday
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

az91 wrote:

“Probably not right now,” Miller said." Is it not a disappointment when you cannot meet expectations?[/quote

He was asked a question and his answer was tantamount to blowing off the question. Read into it if you'd like, but Miller doesn't disparage players in pressers.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

threenumberones wrote:

Where did I say he was a "great" defender? I said his value is not on the offensive end.

You are clueless by the way...Miller and others have consistently praised Zeus's impact in the games on the defensive end. Keep hating on him if you want, but lets not put words in peoples mouths or try draw lines to get the conclusions that you want.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Olsondogg wrote:
threenumberones wrote:

Where did I say he was a "great" defender? I said his value is not on the offensive end.

You are clueless by the way...Miller and others have consistently praised Zeus's impact in the games on the defensive end. Keep hating on him if you want, but lets not put words in peoples mouths or try draw lines to get the conclusions that you want.
Since you don't even read what I write, how in the fuck would you know what I think.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I know what the fuck you think from the stupid fucking shit you type. Pretty simple.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I think Zeus was far more aggressive the past two games and I like what I saw from him. Sort of surprised nobody commented on this yet (unless of course it was in other threads), but I think he is showing better decisiveness in the post and has been more active (yes, I know he only had 4 boards last game) on the glass as well.

Anyone else notice this/feel a little better about Zeus moving forward?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dcZONAfan wrote:I think Zeus was far more aggressive the past two games and I like what I saw from him. Sort of surprised nobody commented on this yet (unless of course it was in other threads), but I think he is showing better decisiveness in the post and has been more active (yes, I know he only had 4 boards last game) on the glass as well.

I think every once and a while things break in a struggling player's way and it feeds his confidence and gives him a new start. I hope that's what we see moving forward. Not a player who logs a double-double, but a player who can catch more than half of his passes and demand a double team, and who can continue to do everything else he does so well.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Longhorned wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:I think Zeus was far more aggressive the past two games and I like what I saw from him. Sort of surprised nobody commented on this yet (unless of course it was in other threads), but I think he is showing better decisiveness in the post and has been more active (yes, I know he only had 4 boards last game) on the glass as well.

I think every once and a while things break in a struggling player's way and it feeds his confidence and gives him a new start. I hope that's what we see moving forward. Not a player who logs a double-double, but a player who can catch more than half of his passes and demand a double team, and who can continue to do everything else he does so well.
for sure, I'm never going to expect a double double from Zeus because he is definitely not a great rebounder, but those who complain about his rebounding totals are overlooking the elite rebounders at every other position (besides Ashley at PF). TJ, elite for a PG. Stanley (and hell, even Gabe is a damn good rebounder) at SG, and Rondae at SF, all excellent. Doesn't mean I don't wish Zeus would grab a few more and hang on to the ones that slide out of his hands, but his offense has always been much more concerning to me than his defense and hopefully he is feeling better about his last few games
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What we should probably consider when looking at Zeus's rebounding numbers is that our packline defense encourages long range, low percentage shots, which often result in long rebounds. It's not as if TJ is mixing it up for rebounds 3 feet from the basket consistently. He's getting long rebounds that he's in great position for around the free throw line extended. Zeus isn't going to leave his man to range 15 feet out to snag a rebound to pad his numbers. Because he knows that if he doesn't get it, and the other team does, their center is now wide open for an easy layup or dunk.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

Zeus will never put up big rebounding numbers, because he never goes for the ball. That doesn't mean he isn't hugely important to our team rebounding as a whole. If you watch, he's the only one who consistently puts a body on someone. He clears tons of space for TJ, Rondae, and Stanley to fly in and get the ball. Just because the numbers aren't there doesn't mean he doesn't add value.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hopefully Zeus stays with the energy he's shown the last two games.

He's great at being a straight-up body on defense. And I hope nobody's asking him to go get rebounds outside of the key, no matter how far out he hedges on screens when we have the ball.

What I expect he should know by now is to get those hands above the shoulders when the ball's in the air or when he faces up. Nobody's doubling him anymore.

Make 'em pay for it, and not with any more of those stupid f*cking fadeaways that even Bill Walton calls out. Joe Blair hasn't taught this guy drop steps and glass angles? Please.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAGreg wrote:Zeus will never put up big rebounding numbers, because he never goes for the ball. That doesn't mean he isn't hugely important to our team rebounding as a whole. If you watch, he's the only one who consistently puts a body on someone. He clears tons of space for TJ, Rondae, and Stanley to fly in and get the ball. Just because the numbers aren't there doesn't mean he doesn't add value.
He's definitely a value add on the defensive side of the ball; the wonder is the offensive side. Sometimes I watch games and wonder to myself, with all the drivers and guys that can get the ball to the rim (TJ, Rondae, Stanley), would we be better off running a Marc Eaton style offense with Zeus to get him out of the lane.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote:
UAGreg wrote:Zeus will never put up big rebounding numbers, because he never goes for the ball. That doesn't mean he isn't hugely important to our team rebounding as a whole. If you watch, he's the only one who consistently puts a body on someone. He clears tons of space for TJ, Rondae, and Stanley to fly in and get the ball. Just because the numbers aren't there doesn't mean he doesn't add value.
He's definitely a value add on the defensive side of the ball; the wonder is the offensive side. Sometimes I watch games and wonder to myself, with all the drivers and guys that can get the ball to the rim (TJ, Rondae, Stanley), would we be better off running a Marc Eaton style offense with Zeus to get him out of the lane.
There's nothing like the 1/8 second of apprehension when a driver drops a pass to Zeus to grab and finish. It's worse than Kyryl, because Zeus can pull it off often enough that you don't completely lose hope.

I agree that he does his job rebounding. He's surrounded by a lot of really good rebounders, so the measure for him is more about keeping his man off the glass vs building gaudy numbers. I don't think the gaudy numbers ever come with how many good rebounders we have.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Zeus all of a sudden started pulling down 12 rebounds a game, RHJ, Stanley, and Bash would see their numbers cut and some of us would be asking what's wrong with them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Chicat wrote:If Zeus all of a sudden started pulling down 12 rebounds a game, RHJ, Stanley, and Bash would see their numbers cut and some of us would be asking what's wrong with them.
yep
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Unless of course both teams shoot around 25%, then enough rebounds for everyone.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I cannot wait for the Zeus redemption thread in about a month or so. Gonna be fun.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Unless of course both teams shoot around 25%, then enough rebounds for everyone.
If we shoot 25%, the story will not be rebounding, no matter how many Zeus pulled down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This is the best 12 minutes Zeus has ever played.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Looks like the Washington trip made a difference with his confidence
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Irish27 wrote:
Almost fell out of my chair with this one!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This is the best 12 minutes Zeus has ever played.
Yep. Jeezus. If this is how he's gonna play for the rest of the season, Kaminsky should be afraid.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Glad he is playing better. I will feel really good if he does it against a UCLA and a Utah
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Its obvious for Tarc's recent better play, Rockyraccoon. No doubt he provided some guidance and downloaded some of his vast knowledge on Tarc and Miller and bam, results.

Thanks Rock
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Its obvious for Tarc's recent better play, Rockyraccoon. No doubt he provided some guidance and downloaded some of his vast knowledge on Tarc and Miller and bam, results.

Thanks Rock
Maybe Rocky has become the George Costanza/enfuego of the board. What ever he says, the opposite comes true.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

50 boards as a team tonight. 22 o boards.
az91

Post by az91 »

Another nice game by Tarc. Let's hope he can continue to play well down the stretch.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

I won't go so far as to quote Mr. Wolf, but I am trying to temper my expectations by reminding myself it was just USC, just USC, just USC.
RockyRaccoon

Give it up for Zeus

Post by RockyRaccoon »

As most people on this board probably know, I have plenty of criticisms of Zeus' game mostly revolving around his natural basketball skills and athletic ability. The truth is, he still can't catch, he still doesn't have great court awareness, and he still doesn't have a real feel for the post.

These past few games however, he is doing something that can't necessarily be coached, he is playing physical and aggressive and the results have been excellent.

Well done Zeus, keep it up. You might be the biggest key to the team's future...
I...drink...your...MILKSHAKE!

"I'm better at life than you." -RockyRaccoon/Richard Sherman

"Those that don't understand the importance of great coaching, don't understand the game." -RR

"WATCH THE GAMES" -RR
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Irish27 wrote:
That's hilarious.

But, doesn't he know, there's no premium on this site! ;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Harvey Specter

Re: Give it up for Zeus

Post by Harvey Specter »

RockyRaccoon wrote:As most people on this board probably know, I have plenty of criticisms of Zeus' game mostly revolving around his natural basketball skills and athletic ability. The truth is, he still can't catch, he still doesn't have great court awareness, and he still doesn't have a real feel for the post.

These past few games however, he is doing something that can't necessarily be coached, he is playing physical and aggressive and the results have been excellent.

Well done Zeus, keep it up. You might be the biggest key to the team's future...
I made the mistake of forgetting to log in when I got on the board and saw your post.

I am not sure what you do professionally, but you might consider getting a patent on the mirrors you have in your house and licensing the rights to sell them to furniture manufacturers.

You know... The ones where you see Pete Newell when you look in the mirror. :lol:

You can get started her www.uspto.gov
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I spent the entire morning trying to remember that mistaken nickname Zeus got last year (or the year before that?) from that announcer. The BIG ZOO!!!!!

That needs to come back
gumby

Post by gumby »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

for sure, I'm never going to expect a double double from Zeus because he is definitely not a great rebounder, but those who complain about his rebounding totals are overlooking the elite rebounders at every other position (besides Ashley at PF). TJ, elite for a PG. Stanley (and hell, even Gabe is a damn good rebounder) at SG, and Rondae at SF, all excellent. Doesn't mean I don't wish Zeus would grab a few more and hang on to the ones that slide out of his hands, but his offense has always been much more concerning to me than his defense and hopefully he is feeling better about his last few games
Right. Tarc's rebounding would be a greater concern if we weren't a good rebounding team. But if some other Cat collects the ball, why sweat it?
Right where I want to be.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I would have left Zeus in just so he could get a double double. I think he had 9 boards when he left with about 5 minutes left.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Irish27 wrote:
Love this drive-by. Why do descriptions of Premium always sound like Hell?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote: Right. Tarc's rebounding would be a greater concern if we weren't a good rebounding team. But if some other Cat collects the ball, why sweat it?
I think it just jumps out more on games where we are getting beat on the glass, or if its 50/50. When you look at our size and defense, that shouldn't be happening outside of a few teams in the nation. If Rondae and Stanley grab 16 boards between them, that's cool. But if we are even on rebounds with another team, or getting beat and they grabbing offensive boards, and those guys got 16 and Zeus and Bash got 3 between them, that is an issue.

Not the only issue in our three losses, but:
-Oregon State (275th in nation in rebounding) outrebounded us 32 to 26. Zeus had 0 boards Bash had 3. Our point guard and Rondae led the team w 6.
-UNLV killed us 46 to 33. UNLV's starting bigs alone had 9 offensive rebounds. Bash had 9 boards, Zeus had 3 (did have some foul trouble). But allowing that many offensive boards is inexcusable.
-No beef at all with the ASU game
gumby

Post by gumby »

Sure. By the same token, it wasn't Zeus getting beat defensively in those losses. Isolate Stanimal's numbers in losses.

We lead the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. It's like leading the nation against the run, but complaining that a particular lineman has fewer tackles than last year.

Of all the things to sweat, this is a minor one.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.