Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Parker Jackson-Cartwright

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The thing with PJC is that because of his size, he can't get away with the same mistakes other people can. Picking up your dribble against pressure is always bad, but it's double the issue when you aren't big enough to be able to effectively see over the pressure.

The transition thing is one thing I was hinting at when I said PJC is more fast than quick. Let him get up a head of steam in the open court and he can create angles. In the half court, he isn't great at breaking a defender down without a running start.

I think he can give us solid minutes, but he has less margin for error on things like shooting, ballhandling and moving his feet on D than a bigger player. That's why I'm not sure he's ever our starter.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

he followed up two solid games at home that fit his style perfectly with an absolute clunker last night.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

With Kobi coming in I dont see him getting much PT next season. He needs to do a whole lot better over the next 2 months to earn 5mpg in '16/17
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thru twenty games, having as many turnovers (31) as FG's made (31), for a player who averages over twenty (20.9) mins per game, is god awful
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Maybe it's my eyes deceiving me, but I think Cal only ran a zone press when PJC was our primary ballhandler. He handled it ok, but I do think it says something about other teams and their perception, bc I really don't remember it when Allen was our primary ballhandler.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Maybe it's my eyes deceiving me, but I think Cal only ran a zone press when PJC was our primary ballhandler. He handled it ok, but I do think it says something about other teams and their perception, bc I really don't remember it when Allen was our primary ballhandler.
I noticed that as well. Stanford did the same thing. I don't think opposing teams have a lot of respect for PJC.

If an opposing defense doesn't respect you and extends itself way out (even to the point of calling it a press, either half-court trap or simply extended D) you simply have to attack it and make them pay. Simply breaking the trap and trying to initiate your half court offense isn't enough and usually your half-court set is compromised because it is pushed too far out. If an opponent extends that much pressure, you make them pay by attacking it AND trying to score. We have bigs who can finish inside (assuming they catch the damn ball - RA & Tarc). It's frustrating to see teams pressuring us. We should want teams to try and do that because we should be getting layups and easy lob dunks all day long. PJC is still to hesitant in breaking the pressure. He has a penchant for bad decision making on the traps and that's why opponents are using it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

He was the difference down the stretch. The steal, the three, the assist to York, drawing the charge, the layup. Game over.
Right where I want to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He played well and Miller really rode him in keyvspots. Good to see but we need to see that translate to the toad.

Two up tempo teams coming up this week so hopefully we see that road breakthrough with Parker
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

PJC was a difference maker last night. (like Gabe) PJ made good decisions, good passes, and hit some nice shots.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:He played well and Miller really rode him in keyvspots. Good to see but we need to see that translate to the toad.

Two up tempo teams coming up this week so hopefully we see that road breakthrough with Parker
That's it. The toad is now a euphemism for away games.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Toad warriors!
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

On the toad again
I just can't wait to get on the toad again
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

I toad you guys we'd jump over the Beavs last night. Toad you so!
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:On the toad again

A long and winding toaaaad. La, la la.....
gumby

Post by gumby »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:On the toad again
If you don't stop it, you'll get warts.

"We thought you was a toad." -- "O Brother Where Art Thou"
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

another great home game for PJC - 16pts / 4ast / 2reb / 1stl on 2tos vs. ucla
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:another great home game for PJC - 16pts / 4ast / 2reb / 1stl on 2tos vs. ucla
That's how he needs to shoot it.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

13-25 behind the arc in PAC 12 play.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Parkers family came down from LA for the game. We need to make sure they make it down more often lol. Apparently his dad is 6'2 or 6'3, poor parker :(
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Not to put a damper on his consistent shooting post non conf slump, but he gets a lot of open looks from 3. Teams sag off him a lot and lately, he's been making them pay.

York would shoot 70% from those looks.

Just need PJC to be a little more consistent on the road and he will always have an important role on this team.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

His 3s tonight largely came off kickouts from our bigs when doubled. I dont care who you are or whats going on, if you can hit half of those, there is absolutely no reason to complain, Ill take it anytime because thats a really good number and its gonna make teams think twice about doubling our bigs. Hes shooting over 50% from deep in conference play. Yes please
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Awesome game for Parker, he really is pretty steady shooter and hit that big 3 near the end.........notice that after the big dagger 3 he was immediately pulled out of the game for an apparently ill/dying Kadeem - a puzzling move but one that seems to happen often (hot player subbing out). Was the reason:

a) The player's allotted 4-minute "war/stint" happened to run out
b) Players that hit big shots need to sit and reflect on how out-defending the other team is the goal of basketball, not scoring points
c) A magic 8 ball is consulted when making substitutions
d) The staff needed an extra set of hands to chart how many times the opponent draws Tarc/Ristic out to the arc for an easily converted high pick and roll layup

you make the call!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RiseAndFire wrote:Awesome game for Parker, he really is pretty steady shooter and hit that big 3 near the end.........notice that after the big dagger 3 he was immediately pulled out of the game for an apparently ill/dying Kadeem - a puzzling move but one that seems to happen often (hot player subbing out). Was the reason:

b) Players that hit big shots need to sit and reflect on how out-defending the other team is the goal of basketball, not scoring points
d) The staff needed an extra set of hands to chart how many times the opponent draws Tarc/Ristic out to the arc for an easily converted high pick and roll layup

you make the call!
The only call I'll make is that you are in the running for an illustrious award you won't put on your resume.

Save the Monday morning quarterbacking for losses... Not wins where the team plays like dogshit for much of the game and guts out a win down the stretch.

I'd say considering our personnel, what we lost from last year, and how close we are to being a 1-2 loss team through conference play - this has been a masterful coaching job. Don't condemn excellence because it isn't perfection,
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

RiseAndFire wrote:Awesome game for Parker, he really is pretty steady shooter and hit that big 3 near the end.........notice that after the big dagger 3 he was immediately pulled out of the game for an apparently ill/dying Kadeem - a puzzling move but one that seems to happen often (hot player subbing out). Was the reason:

you make the call!
Purely defensive reasons in my mind. I believe Kadeem matched up with Hamilton after the timeout. Allen guarded Hamilton well in the 2nd half.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

you make the call!
There's the RiseandFire we all know and love! :roll:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

you make the call!
Hey coach, I take it you've never heard of subbing out offense for defense when you're up late in the game? With how much you claim to know about the game, I figured you'd be familiar with that concept. Guess not.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

you make the call!
Such a miserable, angry troll.

Parker is doing what he needs to, which is knock down open looks. Either he gets what he got last night or a team can't double and Zeus, Anderson and Ristic have that much more room to work.
gumby

Post by gumby »

you make the call!
e) You're still bummed Tim Floyd didn't get the job.
f) Peter Dinklage can post you up.
g) You struggle to accept success.
h) Sucks living under the Mill Avenue Bridge.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

gumby swing and miss and wow so personal. ouch ! safe space please no microaggressions!

my god lighten up ITS A GAME! and none of you has ever wondered this about Millers substitutions ? please

Right, I'm no coach just a basketball aficionado, but can NBA Legend and noted UA homer Bill Waltn weigh in on PJCs odd/funny benching? he may know a thing or two. Oh he did in his in game commentary? Can a NBA HOFer have an opinion on that or not qualified according to message board commandos here?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

When Bill Walton asked why PJC was on the bench I thought, "Because we need a taller defender out there you shroom-fried simpleton" and put the game back on mute.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Certainly was a defense for offense swap. PJC hits that shot, we are up 4 and just need stops. PJC easy to "rise and Fire" over given his size. Not rocket science man
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:gumby swing and miss and wow so personal. ouch ! safe space please no microaggressions!

my god lighten up ITS A GAME! and none of you has ever wondered this about Millers substitutions ? please

Right, I'm no coach just a basketball aficionado, but can NBA Legend and noted UA homer Bill Waltn weigh in on PJCs odd/funny benching? he may know a thing or two. Oh he did in his in game commentary? Can a NBA HOFer have an opinion on that or not qualified according to message board commandos here?
People definitely tune in to hear Walton's sober X and O discussions. Also, you seem to miss the irony in your point given that you are a message board superstar criticizing the best young coach in college basketball.

I don't wonder about Miller's substitution patterns. He rewards practice play and looks at the big picture in terms of establishing rotations.

I'm impressed you strung together multiple posts without using the word zone, though.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Parker was written off for dead weeks ago and is now becoming a quiet assassin on this team. I met his father before the game, really nice guy. And it is indeed true - he is about 6'1 or 6'2
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yep. Good thing Miller didn't give up on him. But there was that one substitution when ....
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I'm so glad something has clicked with PJC. He seems to building confidence every game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Far outplaying Kadeem Allen, sick or not.

Allen still can't defend, grabs the players once he gets passed them. Allen did get explosive once the game was decided.

PJC still deserves to start.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Coach has got to love these stats
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If you want to play deep into March, you need solid pg play..... Starting to get it consistently. Next weeks road games will be a good test
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

84Cat wrote:Coach has got to love these stats
Coach must not know that PJC is too short, not quick enough, and should transfer at the end of the season.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Unbelievable turnaround for the kid. And it isn't spectacular or flashy... until you see the end result at the end of the game. Just steady, does what he needs to do, is working harder on defense (this to me makes me the happiest), and hits the open shot. He is getting better with the ball too. Making teams pay for doubling our bigs takes us from a good offensive team to an elite one. Clearly, the first half was all mental. The slow start got to him, or him showing up this year thinking the job was his got to him and he pressed when he got behind.. Got to be one of the two. Hopefully he keeps this up. A few games back someone tweeted his conference 3pfg% was above 50 percent. It's gotta be close to 55% now.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am still waiting to see him consistently be at least average when not playing at home. Playing at home has never been the issue.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's good to see him hitting J's. That opens his entire offense up. The threat of his 3 allowed him to upfake the defender and get into the lane a few times last night.

Kadeem looked like he was getting back from the illness too. That's where we want to be, with both guys producing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It still amazes me how so many people are shocked and surprised when players under Miller improve from year to year. (Or even month to month).
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:It still amazes me how so many people are shocked and surprised when players under Miller improve from year to year. (Or even month to month).
+1
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Far outplaying Kadeem Allen, sick or not.

Allen still can't defend, grabs the players once he gets passed them.
I wonder whether this is taught, especially when you're outnumbered in transition. As the dribbler approaches, foul him, rather than give up the layup or the pass. Then, ball out of bounds, and it's 5 on 5.

Allen seems to do this a lot. And, really, why not, if the other team isn't in the bonus and you're not in foul trouble?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm really glad he has improved, and his confidence is sky high, but before we anoint him the next great UA PG, he does need to improve his away stats.

Which I think he will.

gumby wrote:

I wonder whether this is taught, especially when you're outnumbered in transition. As the dribbler approaches, foul him, rather than give up the layup or the pass. Then, ball out of bounds, and it's 5 on 5.

Allen seems to do this a lot. And, really, why not, if the other team isn't in the bonus and you're not in foul trouble?

Wasn't Allen's 3rd foul still in the first half, or early second half with Zeus and ??? protecting the basket?

Although I most certainly agree with the concept in transition.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:

Exactly, Gumby.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Wasn't Allen's 3rd foul still in the first half, or early second half with Zeus and ??? protecting the basket?
No - The TV announcers said it was his third before the half, and there was even a stat shown on the tube. But during half time the stats only showed him two fouls.

They even keep saying ASU was in the 1 and 1 bonus when we got our sixth team foul, in reality we only had five. Someone was off, Oh well.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

gumby wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. It's either that, or I'm beat and I'm gonna try to sneak this hand in to cheat a little. We've seen him defend without his hands, and even get beat and work to recover without fouling. Ideally, in those one on one situations on the perimeter you got help and you can save those fouls for turning up pressure/aggression, but we all know how the help is on this team. He doesn't leave many fouls on the floor.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:

I would think this is strategy. With the current officiating regarding charge/block and handcheck, the only way to stop a player going to the rim in transition is to get 100% in front of him and draw the charge or block the shot.

When we have a legit 2 man rotation, fouling in those situations removes any possibility of a 3 point play and we can absorbe the foul trouble. Even if you don't commit the foul intentionally, there's probably still a 75% chance the defender draws a foul if they just try to play normal D. Those are good fouls.