Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I mean I'm not saying he won't end up on campus. But who knows with kids these days. Ferguson left a hole in my heart. Along with all the other kids that change their mind well after their commitment.
Such a weird take and post. Do you need a hug? This isn't football recruiting, relax.
It's not a weird take at all. It's the simple truth if college recruiting in 2017.
No it's not. There's a very select few basketball recruits where your question would've been a valid concern. Keyword few. Shareef O'Neal is not one of them. You're just being a schmuck for the sake of it.
It is. It's the simple truth if college recruiting. Period.
Simple truth in college basketball? You're wrong. Period. Stop talking.

If Coach Miller leaves then fair enough, but unless you're expecting that you're wrong.

Also why say this for O'Neal and not Akot?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:Ebi, Jennings, Withey, Leaf, Ferguson just off the top of my head. I wouldn't say 'hater's concerns are invalid. Kids change their minds. All. The. Time.
Ebi? One of these things is not like the others...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Withey actually didn't change his mind, it was changed for him. Jeffree was OK with Lute retiring. It was just his mom Deb who was quite upset when her student told her about Lute during class when someone texted the student.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Simple truth in college basketball? You're wrong. Period. Stop talking.

If Coach Miller leaves then fair enough, but unless you're expecting that you're wrong.

Also why say this for O'Neal and not Akot?[/quote]

Why say it at all.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Ebi, Jennings, Withey, Leaf, Ferguson just off the top of my head. I wouldn't say 'hater's concerns are invalid. Kids change their minds. All. The. Time.
Que?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Que?
Ebi is a different era of college basketball with a different issue that doesn't exist anymore.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Que?
Back when kids could go from high school right to the NBA.
Right where I want to be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:
Puerco wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Que?
Back when kids could go from high school right to the NBA.
Oh, right. Sorry, wasn't limiting my point to jumping to the league. The Leaf and Withey experiences were just as painful as the Ferguson, Jennings, and Ebi ones. I'm never really comfortable till a kid is on campus.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's fine to have a general pessimism about recruiting. But if anyone doesn't enjoy recruiting news because of that pessimism, it may be better not to follow recruiting at all. The whole complicated mess is managed by people who have communications and contingencies in place that we as fans have no awareness of. Even the decisions of the recruits are based on considerations unknown to fans, in spite of what the recruits and their handlers say to the press.

This message has been brought to you by casual fans, who are simply happier for learning about new Arizona players for the first time after fall semester starts, often not before Blue Red.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Having a few concerns shouldn't keep us from enjoying something, right? Like if you were worried about some germs on your fork, would it keep you from enjoying that ribeye?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:Having a few concerns shouldn't keep us from enjoying something, right? Like if you were worried about some germs on your fork, would it keep you from enjoying that ribeye?
I don't get much joy out of recruiting, and I do aspire to become a casual fan.

If a rude waiter tongues my fork, it does keep me from enjoying that ribeye. But that only happens to me twice a week maximum. Maximum.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Probably vegans. Uppity bastards.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If that ribeye is on my plate, it's right where I want it.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

What would be the ideal team for 2018?

Who are the players that come back? Randolph, Barcello, Lee, Smith. Anyone else?

You've got to assume we are going to add one-two more players this year, whether it be transfer or incoming freshman, that could be around for 2018.

Akot and O'Neal are already committed, who else would you like to add? Obviously Bagley would be target number 1. I'm hoping we add Brandon Williams and Bol Bol. If that is the case, who do you see as the starters, and do we need to add any more players?

My lineup would be:
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Bagley
Bol Bol

We would be extremely young, starting all under-classmen. Because of this, I think it is almost a necessity to add a guy this year like Cam Johnson or Chase Jeter (or both) that would be here in 2018.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

McKale Midwest wrote:What would be the ideal team for 2018?

Who are the players that come back? Randolph, Barcello, Lee, Smith. Anyone else?

You've got to assume we are going to add one-two more players this year, whether it be transfer or incoming freshman, that could be around for 2018.

Akot and O'Neal are already committed, who else would you like to add? Obviously Bagley would be target number 1. I'm hoping we add Brandon Williams and Bol Bol. If that is the case, who do you see as the starters, and do we need to add any more players?

My lineup would be:
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Bagley
Bol Bol

We would be extremely young, starting all under-classmen. Because of this, I think it is almost a necessity to add a guy this year like Cam Johnson or Chase Jeter (or both) that would be here in 2018.
Ideal?

Duval
Alkins
Trier
Bagley
Ayton

Frontcourt bench: Comanche, Bol, Lee.

Perimeter bench: Randolph, Smith, Barcello, Brandon Williams.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lol he certainly didn't say realistic.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

My lineup would be:
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Bagley
Bol Bol

Ideal?

Duval
Alkins
Trier
Bagley
Ayton

Maybe I should have used the word "realistic" instead of ideal.

But man, what a team that would be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

McKale Midwest wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

My lineup would be:
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Bagley
Bol Bol

Ideal?

Duval
Alkins
Trier
Bagley
Ayton

Shoot, I even forgot Akot. Sub him for Smith.

If we're speaking realistically, I think you did a pretty good job.
McKale Midwest

Post by McKale Midwest »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

My lineup would be:
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Bagley
Bol Bol

Ideal?

Duval
Alkins
Trier
Bagley
Ayton

What about Shareef? I would rather have him than Lee.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

McKale Midwest wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
McKale Midwest wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

My lineup would be:
Williams
Randolph
Akot
Bagley
Bol Bol

Ideal?

Duval
Alkins
Trier
Bagley
Ayton

What about Shareef? I would rather have him than Lee.
Ok, dammit, you're right. Throw Shareef into the frontcourt mix.

Bagley and Ayton start, and Shareef, Comanche, Bol and Lee is a nice 3 deep.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

5 Star Forward locked in on AZ & Oregon

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/under-arm ... 50884.html" target="_blank
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dmjcat wrote:5 Star Forward locked in on AZ & Oregon

These Yahoo links never actually take me to the story people intend them to. Anyone else have this problem with Yahoo?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Puerco wrote:

These Yahoo links never actually take me to the story people intend them to. Anyone else have this problem with Yahoo?
Your problem is that you're in 2017, and Yahoo is in 1997. Remember to downdate your browser settings periodically.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Longhorned wrote:
Puerco wrote:

Your problem is that you're in 2017, and Yahoo is in 1997. Remember to downdate your browser settings periodically.
Marissa was certainly a modern CEO
After nearly five years, Marissa Mayer's tenure as C.E.O. of 90s-era Internet corpse Yahoo is nearly over. Despite a series of questionable management practices—spending $3 billion on acquisitions, including $1.1 billion to purchase Tumblr, the largely failed micro-blogging site; wasting money on expensive hires like ad man Henrique de Castro, who was paid $109 million for 15 months of work; and the failure to prevent two high-profile hacking incidents affecting more than a billion Yahoo user accounts last year—Mayer will walk away from Yahoo with $186 million in Yahoo stock, stock options, and restricted stock units.

On June 8, Yahoo shareholders will vote on whether to sell off Yahoo's web assets to Verizon, a deal nearly a year in the making, according to a proxy statement Yahoo filed with the S.E.C. on Monday. Should the same company board that approved Mayer’s compensation package in the first place vote yes, Mayer will walk away with the money, which will fully vest at the time of the vote. In total, Mayer will have made “well over $200 million” during her tenure as Yahoo C.E.O., including salary, bonuses, and other payouts, The New York Times reports.
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/ ... hoo-payout

90's internet corpse... lol

Chi can aspire to that 15 month salary.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://youtu.be/ru28ptXuDQk" target="_blank

Bol vs Bagley.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/rivals-ro ... 50133.html" target="_blank

EVANS: It might not be based solely on last year’s results but it is more about Sean Miller’s willingness to buy into the one-and-done idea that his recent teams have displayed. Arizona already sits with the best class in 2018 thanks to the commitments of five-star juniors Emmanuel Akot and Shareef O’Neal. Arizona can be seen as the favorite for Marvin Bagley, Brandon Williams and Gerald Liddell and an upcoming visit from grad-transfer wing Cameron Johnson should also not be forgotten.

PEEK: Arizona is a school I heard consistently during interviews this past weekend. Marvin Bagley, Cam Reddish, Miles Norris, Taeshon Cherry and Tre Jones all said they have Arizona in the mix. Not to mention the Wildcats already landed 2018 five-star Shareef O'Neal and are still in the running for top 2017 five-stars Brian Bowen and Trevon Duval. Also, Sean Miller's hire of Lorenzo Romar seems to be a good move for recruiting as well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/news/rivals-ro ... 50133.html

EVANS: It might not be based solely on last year’s results but it is more about Sean Miller’s willingness to buy into the one-and-done idea that his recent teams have displayed. Arizona already sits with the best class in 2018 thanks to the commitments of five-star juniors Emmanuel Akot and Shareef O’Neal. Arizona can be seen as the favorite for Marvin Bagley, Brandon Williams and Gerald Liddell and an upcoming visit from grad-transfer wing Cameron Johnson should also not be forgotten.

PEEK: Arizona is a school I heard consistently during interviews this past weekend. Marvin Bagley, Cam Reddish, Miles Norris, Taeshon Cherry and Tre Jones all said they have Arizona in the mix. Not to mention the Wildcats already landed 2018 five-star Shareef O'Neal and are still in the running for top 2017 five-stars Brian Bowen and Trevon Duval. Also, Sean Miller's hire of Lorenzo Romar seems to be a good move for recruiting as well.
Arizona is not the favorite for Marvin Bagley at the moment.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

jahvon quinerly plz
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Is anyone? Everything I see about Bagley tends to be in the "your guess is as good as mine" vein.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Is anyone? Everything I see about Bagley tends to be in the "your guess is as good as mine" vein.
UCLA.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

UCLA.
Hmmmmmmmmmm... He wants to play in a loud arena. Are you really sure he wants to play in the Pauley Mausoleum??? :lol:

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... eybl-video" target="_blank

On the Arizona Wildcats (2:53 mark in the below video), Bagley tells Rivals’ Krysten Peek, “I’ve been to Arizona multiple times since seventh grade. Every time I go there, it’s just like a calm feeling I get. The program is great and I’ve been to a couple of games and it’s just loud in that arena. That’s the type of atmosphere I’d like to play in.”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

That's a cute quote. From what I understand here's the order:

1. Overseas
2. UCLA
3. Arizona
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Bagley is assured of playing in a loud and raucus Pauley at least once a year: when Arizona visits UCLA.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Where Bagley goes will have a lot to do with whether he toes the family line and continues to allow his dad to "manage" him, or whether he stands up for himself and conducts his own business based on his head/heart.

Sadly, it is very unlikely Jr stands up to Sr. Jr is a good kid. And like the kid of an alcoholic who does everything perfect to make sure not to make mom or dad angry, Jr just does what he needs to do in order to keep dad from blowing up (clarification: not saying dad is an alcoholic. Just that the need for Jr to please Sr to keep Sr from getting angry is similar).
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Just a reminder that at this time last year ..... no one thought we'd pull Ayton and overseas was a prevailing thought for him as well.

Granted from what I understand Ayton's mother and Bagley's father are two completely different animals to recruit, but just worth mentioning. Plus Romar can't hurt when trying to reason w Senior.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what's seniors deal? Must be a real asshole if his rep precedes him this much.

Any good/bad stories?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

CalStateTempe wrote:So what's seniors deal? Must be a real asshole if his rep precedes him this much.

Any good/bad stories?

I don't know much as I'm an east coaster. But I've heard comparisons to Lavar Ball thrown around minus the incredibly stupid diarrhea of the mouth that Lavar has. By all accounts he's a helicopter dad living vicariously through his kid though. And there's the yanking his kid out of schools for not meeting his demands on getting MB3 the necessary exposure w big time TV games v powerhouse prep schools, etc.

Lavar Ball is worse , but just like he is worth dealing w to get Lonzo, sr is worth dealing w to get jr. And at least in this situation u don't have to deal w him for 2 other marginally talented kids as well.

The problem is getting sr to realize Arizona is best for his kids development for 1 year before he goes #1 in draft, which he will.

Also, at the end of the day, Miller isn't going to let any parent tell him how to coach, substitute , or run his team, and sr may find a coach like Alford w less of a backbone more appealing to his wishes.
gumby

Post by gumby »

PennZona20 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:So what's seniors deal? Must be a real asshole if his rep precedes him this much.

Any good/bad stories?

I don't know much as I'm an east coaster. But I've heard comparisons to Lavar Ball thrown around minus the incredibly stupid diarrhea of the mouth that Lavar has. By all accounts he's a helicopter dad living vicariously through his kid though. And there's the yanking his kid out of schools for not meeting his demands on getting MB3 the necessary exposure w big time TV games v powerhouse prep schools, etc.

Lavar Ball is worse , but just like he is worth dealing w to get Lonzo, sr is worth dealing w to get jr. And at least in this situation u don't have to deal w him for 2 other marginally talented kids as well.

The problem is getting sr to realize Arizona is best for his kids development for 1 year before he goes #1 in draft, which he will.

Also, at the end of the day, Miller isn't going to let any parent tell him how to coach, substitute , or run his team, and sr may find a coach like Alford w less of a backbone more appealing to his wishes.
So then it wasn't true! :mrgreen:

Some reason the overly involved dads like UCLA?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:

Any good/bad stories?

So then it wasn't true! :mrgreen:

Some reason the overly involved dads like UCLA?
Alford is all about them obviously.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Miles Norris announcing his commitment tomorrow, very likely to Oregon due to O'Neal committing here.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:That's a cute quote. From what I understand here's the order:

1. Overseas
2. UCLA
3. Arizona
Based on...?? Think it's all rumors at this point. He's got UK and Duke in the mix, so even though he's a west coast guy, I would say his recruitment is far from settled. No clear leader at this point. If anything, I'd give AZ a slight edge for reasons noted upthread.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:That's a cute quote. From what I understand here's the order:

1. Overseas
2. UCLA
3. Arizona
Based on...?? Think it's all rumors at this point. He's got UK and Duke in the mix, so even though he's a west coast guy, I would say his recruitment is far from settled. No clear leader at this point. If anything, I'd give AZ a slight edge for reasons noted upthread.
Overseas leads by a vast margin. You may be right after all on Arizona's position over UCLA, but it's meaningless if he's headed overseas anyways.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Bagley should go to China.

Not for the money. For the branding.

LaVar fucked up. Nobody in LA likes him, and most are indifferent to UCLA hoops. Fan support isn't the hype machine maybe he banked on. Yes it's LA. Lots of media.

But China has a billion sets of eyes and feet.

I seriously doubt Bagley plays college ball.

Now, maybe that changes if Daddy gets offered a coaching position.

Maybe that gets Daddy to think about himself long enough to kee Marvin in the states for 1 year.

But I haven't heard anything from anyone that tells me anything but overseas.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

If Bagley does go, Brown wouldn't be a bad backup option. Shame the best UA kid goes to Oregon
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

anyone know about this? if i remember correctly he visited az?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote: anyone know about this? if i remember correctly he visited az?
I don't believe he did. Rumor has been that he's reclassifying to 2017, but if he does then Syracuse is the likely spot.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
A1RZONA wrote: anyone know about this? if i remember correctly he visited az?
I don't believe he did. Rumor has been that he's reclassifying to 2017, but if he does then Syracuse is the likely spot.
i think you're right, we went and saw him. got that mixed up.

"Ayala said Oregon, Miami, Syracuse, Arizona and Maryland all watched him this weekend at Basketball City. Indiana also offered Ayala on Monday, too, he said."

Seems to be all cuse.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Still a class of 2017 recruiting effort =)