Allow Beachcat to stay?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Should BeachCat be able to post going forward?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 88

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Allow Beachcat to stay?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:The anonymity of the internet has abased human beings into sociopaths with avatars.
Maybe I was that to begin with. You don't know me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:The anonymity of the internet has abased human beings into sociopaths with avatars.
You don't have an avatar.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'd vote to let him back after the season for a final chance.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:It was more than fair to consider a return before he came back with the response Chi posted mere moments after "leaving".

He provides nothing of substance to the board. If people want him back, restrict him to his own forum/thread so that those that want to engage that shit can go there. Otherwise, it pollutes otherwise good threads.
See, that's why I think the suspension is more about how he behaves than the bet. If he wasn't consistently trolling and dropped the non-apology at the end, people would be willing to overlook the bet, at least IMO.

That's a reason I tend to skew towards letting him control his own destiny. Keep with posts that show the reason no one minds that he got banned to begin with and let him go for good. If he actually values posting here, he can show it and make amends by cutting the bs.
Yeah, if he had come in and said, "Holy crap, what a game. I'm an idiot. That will teach me to bet against the Cats ever. Any chance we can say bygones and I can stick around? Willing to eat as much crow as possible to make that happen." and then watched for the responses, I'm sure most people, especially in the afterglow of such a huge win would have been fine with him staying.

But to just announce he's sticking around and that "it's just a message board" and then to finish it off by saying to hold the elementary school-level insults and taunts? What an asshole.

THIS. Ban him. At the very least until after the season is over, including Dance.
gumby

Post by gumby »

rgdeuce wrote:In defense of the guy, it is pretty apparent there are some underlying mental health concerns. If he isn't a concern troll or a wolf in sheep's clothing troll, he is a case study for generalized anxiety disorder. I've felt bad for the dude on multiple occasions.
Yeah, something is amiss, for sure.

KS
RA
LM
DS
PJC

Some klnd of obsessive something

KP
AT
CC
KA

No way we beat the Bruins! Miller is great.

Heh
Right where I want to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alright I say we close it here, he's not worth more than 4 pages of discussion quite frankly. We have an overwhelming majority.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

3 month ban, subject to reconsideration and majority vote of approval after April.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

HiCat wrote:3 month ban, subject to reconsideration and majority vote of approval after April.
I agree, that's a separate vote.

And should he come back, he should honor his word and never come back.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You don't have an avatar.
Only on the internet.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow, just ignore him. Its hilarious how wrong he has been, what are we gonna do without the comedic relief? If he really wants to be on here he will find a way back in
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Who's going to tell him when he's off the banned list?!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Who's going to tell him when he's off the banned list?!!
He messaged the Admin account right after he got banned.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Has he even written a mea culpa? Apology? Or some kind of explanation and promise not to be such a negative tool (at times)?

Damn, if it were me and I really cared about being banned or not, I'd at least send out a statement/apology if I actually cared.....and this discussion has been going on for how long now?

Edit, I see he his banned....has he submitted any apology anywhere?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Has he even written a mea culpa? Apology? Or some kind of explanation and promise not to be such a negative tool (at times)?

Damn, if it were me and I really cared about being banned or not, I'd at least send out a statement/apology if I actually cared.....and this discussion has been going on for how long now?

Edit, I see he his banned....has he submitted any apology anywhere?
Not yet.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I'd like to see T Bag come back. Dude was money on his ban vote
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hi, everyone. What follows was sent to the admin yesterday. So yes, I did attempt to apologize.

"I readily admit that I made a huge mistake agreeing to that bet. I'm a UofA alum (class of '99) and love the Cats. I should know better than to antagonize the team or their fans. I get carried away sometimes. I'll learn from this experience and keep it in check moving forward. I feel terrible about this and do apologize."

I'm sorry to anyone I may've offended. I've followed this thread and now wonder if I should seek psychological counseling or something. It's a serious subject, and I do appreciate the concern, if that's what it is.

Lastly, I just want to express heartfelt, unwavering support for the UofA. I love the school, its teams, and its community. It's an exciting time to be a UofA fan, and like all of you, I can't wait for March.

Bear Down!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Actual humility . . . Interesting.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, thank you Beachcat. What you say rings true. I'm going to have faith that you aren't a UCLA fan pretending to be an Arizona fan just to disrupt threads.

What do we do about the vote tally? Like I said above, I'd change my vote but I can't. Maybe others would change their vote as well, but can't.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think I'm just going to refrain from discussing UCLA. It seems to get me in trouble.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Okay, thank you Beachcat. What you say rings true. I'm going to have faith that you aren't a UCLA fan pretending to be an Arizona fan just to disrupt threads.

What do we do about the vote tally? Like I said above, I'd change my vote but I can't. Maybe others would change their vote as well, but can't.
Banned until after the season is my vote.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Beachcat97 wrote:Think I'm just going to refrain from discussing UCLA. It seems to get me in trouble.
Dude, what gets you in trouble is that you don't believe that CSM is a witch. Which seems silly, considering the evidence at hand.

Rest of the board: We are 18-2 w/ BC97 here. Do we really want to mess w/ that JUJU right now??
Bangkok Wildcat

Beachcat97 wrote:Hi, everyone. What follows was sent to the admin yesterday. So yes, I did attempt to apologize.

"I readily admit that I made a huge mistake agreeing to that bet. I'm a UofA alum (class of '99) and love the Cats. I should know better than to antagonize the team or their fans. I get carried away sometimes. I'll learn from this experience and keep it in check moving forward. I feel terrible about this and do apologize."

I'm sorry to anyone I may've offended. I've followed this thread and now wonder if I should seek psychological counseling or something. It's a serious subject, and I do appreciate the concern, if that's what it is.

Lastly, I just want to express heartfelt, unwavering support for the UofA. I love the school, its teams, and its community. It's an exciting time to be a UofA fan, and like all of you, I can't wait for March.

Bear Down!
Impressive mea culpa....well-said. Hope you will come back after whatever price is that you will have to pay. Bear Down.

EDIT: Too bad you waited so long or I wouldn't have voted to ban you......which I didn't take lightly.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

To be fair, he could not post that earlier and he DID reach out to me earlier.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Okay, thank you Beachcat. What you say rings true. I'm going to have faith that you aren't a UCLA fan pretending to be an Arizona fan just to disrupt threads.

Banned until after the season is my vote.
Agreed.
Bangkok Wildcat

UAdevil wrote:To be fair, he could not post that earlier and he DID reach out to me earlier.
Ah, ok thanks for the clarification UAdevil.....fairness is very important.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I say let him stay. I never voted before. There are some serious things to get upset with in this world today... crappy message board posters isn't high on my list
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Sorry as well for even creating a need for this thread! I know you'd all rather be discussing other things.

Two games this week. Bear down!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Seems kind of messy to have individual votes for different outcomes. Would there be widespread objection to allowing Beachcat to come to his own decision about what kind of self-ban to impose (if any) in lieu of his earlier decision to leave the board permanently? It was, after all, his voluntary decision, and the only talk of board-based ban came about after his ignoring of the issue, which his recent posts seem to correct.
Bangkok Wildcat

Longhorned wrote:Seems kind of messy to have individual votes for different outcomes. Would there be widespread objection to allowing Beachcat to come to his own decision about what kind of self-ban to impose (if any) in lieu of his earlier decision to leave the board permanently? It was, after all, his voluntary decision, and the only talk of board-based ban came about after his ignoring of the issue, which his recent posts seem to correct.
Seems fair to me....but I would also think the Mods have enough reason for some sort of probation as well....his statement above was a good first step though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Hi, everyone. What follows was sent to the admin yesterday. So yes, I did attempt to apologize.

Bear Down!
I am good with this although I think a regular season ban might he good. He could come back for the PAC tourney.

I do appreciate his apology and I know I would miss this board if I lost my privilege to post
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Alieberman wrote:I say let him stay. I never voted before. There are some serious things to get upset with in this world today... crappy message board posters isn't high on my list
I don't disagree with that. But what you say and what you post matter. If not this might as well be a Trump campaign. There has to be accountability otherwise this becomes just another crappy message board.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Would there be widespread objection to allowing Beachcat to come to his own decision about what kind of self-ban to impose (if any) in lieu of his earlier decision to leave the board permanently?
I object. He trolled the whole community. He bet the whole community. He then welched on that bet and called the whole community a bunch of ten-year-olds. Just because he went through withdrawal and knows he has to seem contrite doesn't seem like nearly what should be coming to him.

Ban until the end of the season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Needs to be a ban until the day after the ncaa title game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I'm on board with chi and choo. He made his bed..he at least needs to nap in it. We should welcome him back on April 4th. If we make the final 4, let him back early, so that all of us cats fans (even obnoxious message board posters...bad ones) will be able to share the moment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Seems kind of messy to have individual votes for different outcomes. Would there be widespread objection to allowing Beachcat to come to his own decision about what kind of self-ban to impose (if any) in lieu of his earlier decision to leave the board permanently? It was, after all, his voluntary decision, and the only talk of board-based ban came about after his ignoring of the issue, which his recent posts seem to correct.
As I've posted, I care less about his past than I do his future. If he gives thoughtful, non-trolling posts, that is more worthwhile than any punishment, self imposed or otherwise. If he reverts to what caused these issues, that eliminates any need to forgive and forget.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I agreed with a ban until after the season on page 1. No need to put a date on it. Ever the optimist, I don't want Beachcat back until after the championship celebrations are done in Tucson.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Beachcat97 wrote: I know you'd all rather be discussing other things.

not really
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The bet was really stupid and impulsive. First time I've ever taken a "board bet," and it'll also be the last. I do apologize for it and hope most of you, like Spiff, can focus on the future not the past. From here on out, I'll be following the examples of the many excellent posters here, and not trolling or doing the things that got me into this spot. I love this site (obviously) and forum and want to be a part of it over these next few months as we chase a national title. Stupidly, I should've thought about that before I made the bet.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:The bet was really stupid and impulsive. First time I've ever taken a "board bet," and it'll also be the last. I do apologize for it and hope most of you, like Spiff, can focus on the future not the past. From here on out, I'll be following the examples of the many excellent posters here, and not trolling or doing the things that got me into this spot. I love this site (obviously) and forum and want to be a part of it over these next few months as we chase a national title. Stupidly, I should've thought about that before I made the bet.

How are you posting?

Look - I can't stand you as a poster. But I voted to have you reinstated at the end of the season.... but after reading your post above, I have changed my mind. (not that it matters)

The part in bold above is a flat-out fucking lie. You made the EXACT same bet previously - that if you lost you would leave the site... I believe 2 years ago. I don't recall what it was over, but I am sure someone could scrub the archives and find out.

Regardless... UCLA and UO were both going 17-1 in Conference. Definitively - right BeachCat?

Don't go to Vegas...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The bet was really stupid and impulsive. First time I've ever taken a "board bet," and it'll also be the last. I do apologize for it and hope most of you, like Spiff, can focus on the future not the past. From here on out, I'll be following the examples of the many excellent posters here, and not trolling or doing the things that got me into this spot. I love this site (obviously) and forum and want to be a part of it over these next few months as we chase a national title. Stupidly, I should've thought about that before I made the bet.
The part in bold above is a flat-out fucking lie. You made the EXACT same bet previously - that if you lost you would leave the site... I believe 2 years ago. I don't recall what it was over, but I am sure someone could scrub the archives and find out.
I have no recollection of this. But I believe you and certainly regret it if I did this in the past.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hows UCLA looking now Beachcat?

#papertigers.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Ban from the UA hoops board only till after the NCAA championship game.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Ban from the UA hoops board only till after the NCAA championship game.
Agreed. And we'll reinstate the ban until we come to some other consensus or solution. BC got his chance to state his case, now it's up to the community.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Ban from the UA hoops board only till after the NCAA championship game.
Agreed. And we'll reinstate the ban until we come to some other consensus or solution. BC got his chance to state his case, now it's up to the community.
Add some karma into the mix.

...only after the Arizona NCAA championship game.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Makes sense procedurally. There's a majority vote to ban. Had Beachcat voluntarily proposed a self-ban until after the tourney, for example, there would be something to work with his earlier agreement to leave the board and the majority sentiment that he honor his word. But he proposes to return immediately. So what we could do after the tourney is hold a vote to reinstate.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Personally, I'm with Alieberman. I think posters should be accountable to themselves. If someone goes back on his word, he incurs de facto consequences. I don't want to vote for de juris consequences. I'd say leave it up to the poster. But a vote is a vote, and co-ops honor votes.
walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

What's wrong with speaking your mind? I do it and sometimes it gets me in trouble. It's only human nature.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

walk-on-wildcat wrote:What's wrong with speaking your mind? I do it and sometimes it gets me in trouble. It's only human nature.
It's not about speaking your mind. He made a bet with the board and refused to pay up. Whether he's a shitty poster or not is a secondary issue.