Lorenzo Romar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Lorenzo Romar

Post by Chicat »

Zero idea what enfuego is talking about. Here is a screenshot of the last recorded deletions:

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:What a joke.
What about it is a joke?
There is a thread on here blasting him for years and now he's a great pick up?

edit to add: Apparently that thread has been deleted? That's very Kentucky fan-esque.
I have no knowledge of such a thread ever existing
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What about it is a joke?

edit to add: Apparently that thread has been deleted? That's very Kentucky fan-esque.
I could have sworn it was this board.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sure he may have been blasted but only because he was pretty good and he was a rival. Make no mistake though, even from the days of Lute Olson, AZ coaches, players and fans respected and liked Romar.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

You're the only one laughing, which considering it's you is understandable. What's really a joke is your boy's rug.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azcat49 wrote:Sure he may have been blasted but only because he was pretty good and he was a rival. Make no mistake though, even from the days of Lute Olson, AZ coaches, players and fans respected and liked Romar.
And many here thought UCLA was crazy not to hire him instead of Alford.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Even if Romar got criticism from this board it had every thing to do with being a head coach at a rival. If we were in a position where Romar would be the choice to replace Miller then this board would be in utter meltdown. The guy is being brought in as the Associate Head Coach as being any thing less wouldn't fly for a guy who was a head man for the past 21 years. The man has his positive and his negatives, but the vast majority of his negatives are mitigated due to the fact he's not the head man and his positives will all be utilized on the recruiting trail and being a second or third father to recruits just as he always has been. It doesn't take a genius to see the positives bringing Romar in as the top assistant brings.

Kansas fan outrage is Kansas fan BS. Enjoy the Lawson brothers and the drama they'll bring you friend.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Sure he may have been blasted but only because he was pretty good and he was a rival. Make no mistake though, even from the days of Lute Olson, AZ coaches, players and fans respected and liked Romar.
And many here thought UCLA was crazy not to hire him instead of Alford.
That is Corrrrr ect.
ChooChooCat wrote:Even if Romar got criticism from this board it had every thing to do with being a head coach at a rival.
Exactly. Enfuego may be flat-out wrong about a conspiratorial deletion of a thread bashing Romar, but let's not let that make us lose sight of his larger point's lack of logical coherence.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This whole situation really required Miller and Romar to check their egos at the door and realize that they both can benefit from the other. It takes some stones to do that. Especially with an in conference rival.

Kudos to both men.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

wyo-cat wrote:This whole situation really required Miller and Romar to check their egos at the door and realize that they both can benefit from the other. It takes some stones to do that. Especially with an in conference rival.

Kudos to both men.
Plus it finally reveals that, all along, Coach Romar secretly has loved Arizona most of all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
enfuego wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What about it is a joke?

Here's the Washington thread. Take what you want:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... =23&t=2308" target="_blank
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

enfuego wrote:
You would swear wrongly then.

It's never been on this site. I can't speak to the other site that existed a few years back, as it may have existed there, but it hasn't existed here since this site was created.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Enfuego...lol.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

The only resounding criticisms of Romar are as follows:

1. A bit too much of "roll the ball out there" type of coach.
2. At one point his quantity of "force outs" led to phrase Romar'd.

That's basically it. Neither will have the negative impact as Associate Head Coach, and the roll the ball out there, let the talent play is a bit more of what this team needs. Miller needs to let players play to strengths in certain situations.

But Romar is widely praised as a recruiter, evaluator of lower rated prospects, or guard development, of being a players coach, a father figure, a moral man, an ethical man, and someone well liked by the vast majority of everyone.

Is he a great head coach candidate for Arizona? Hell no.

But he's an Alvin Gentry type of assistent. Spoken incredibly highly of, innovative, influential, but for some reason struggles to be consistently good as head coach.

The Warriors right now wouldn't be the Warriors we know without Gentry.

The Clippers have basically fallen apart since Gentry left.

Arizona is getting a coach who adds to Arizona's strengths and improves their weaknesses. I'm excited to see PJC inter the tutelage of a coach that helped create Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas, and Trier under the tutelage of a coach who has had 6-7 NBA wings drafted, including one multiple time All-Star.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Scene: Miller having dinner with Romar:

Romar: I'm thinking of accepting your offer to join the program.
Sean: Have the lobster.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

"The Lobster?" Is that Ayton's nickname?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RaisingArizona wrote:"The Lobster?" Is that Ayton's nickname?
I think that might be crustaceanist.
gumby

Post by gumby »

En fuego is thinking of Basnight ... all too often.
Right where I want to be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:The only resounding criticisms of Romar are as follows:

1. A bit too much of "roll the ball out there" type of coach.
2. At one point his quantity of "force outs" led to phrase Romar'd.

That's basically it. Neither will have the negative impact as Associate Head Coach, and the roll the ball out there, let the talent play is a bit more of what this team needs. Miller needs to let players play to strengths in certain situations.

But Romar is widely praised as a recruiter, evaluator of lower rated prospects, or guard development, of being a players coach, a father figure, a moral man, an ethical man, and someone well liked by the vast majority of everyone.

Is he a great head coach candidate for Arizona? Hell no.

But he's an Alvin Gentry type of assistent. Spoken incredibly highly of, innovative, influential, but for some reason struggles to be consistently good as head coach.

The Warriors right now wouldn't be the Warriors we know without Gentry.

The Clippers have basically fallen apart since Gentry left.

Arizona is getting a coach who adds to Arizona's strengths and improves their weaknesses. I'm excited to see PJC inter the tutelage of a coach that helped create Nate Robinson and Isaiah Thomas, and Trier under the tutelage of a coach who has had 6-7 NBA wings drafted, including one multiple time All-Star.
So, I'm not really on the train that Miller needs to relax on the reins, but I still see Romar as a positive in dealing with players as follows: with a focused, intense coach, Romar can be a counterpoint and the good cop to Miller's bad cop.

Coaching staffs can benefit from this. You have a taskmaster and the guy players see more as a friend and someone who supports them. I get a sense Book already does this, but Romar brings so much more gravity with his prior record.

This frees Miller up to be Miller and lets Romar do what he naturally does too. When Miller criticized himself against Xavier for not building the players confidence, well, now Romar can do that. It is more natural for Romar than Miller anyways, and lets both of them play to type.

Then, you add in recruting and all else mentioned above, and...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
So, I'm not really on the train that Miller needs to relax on the reins, but I still see Romar as a positive in dealing with players as follows: with a focused, intense coach, Romar can be a counterpoint and the good cop to Miller's bad cop.

Coaching staffs can benefit from this. You have a taskmaster and the guy players see more as a friend and someone who supports them. I get a sense Book already does this, but Romar brings so much more gravity with his prior record.

This frees Miller up to be Miller and lets Romar do what he naturally does too. When Miller criticized himself against Xavier for not building the players confidence, well, now Romar can do that. It is more natural for Romar than Miller anyways, and lets both of them play to type.
Great call. The good cop/bad cop is very effective.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Book has always been the good cop guy. Now we have 2 good guys.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I am not a fan of Xs and Os Romar, and I made my opinion known that I thought he made bad in-game decisions from time to time. I also criticized their home court practice of playing super physical then coming unglued over and over again at every call until the refs just get afraid to make another call, but that is really more a criticism of the refs.

But, damn...as an associate head coach/assistant coach and recruiter? I could think he was the worst head coach in the PAC (I did not) and still think this is a steal and a home run, because Sean Miller is still the head coach, but we get all the attributes that got Romar a job and a run of successful teams at UW. And his weaknesses are mitigated by the fact that he isn't our head coach. And I wouldn't want him to be. But that is a far stretch from being disingenuous about his abilities in being excited about his hire as our associate HC.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

More of this to come!

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

SM needed to change something up to take this program to the next level. Next to convincing Mark D'Antoni to join in order to spark some offense, this is the next best thing. I hope Romar can stick around for 2-3 years so we can really gauge if this move makes a difference.

I haven't watch Romar closely enough to know whether he would be good to eventually take on the HC job, if Sean thinks he would be a good fit, I do to. That said, I think this shows Sean thinks this program can have sustained success and he doesn't have to go to NC or Kentucky.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

UALoco wrote:SM needed to change something up to take this program to the next level. Next to convincing Mark D'Antoni to join in order to spark some offense, this is the next best thing. I hope Romar can stick around for 2-3 years so we can really gauge if this move makes a difference.

I haven't watch Romar closely enough to know whether he would be good to eventually take on the HC job, if Sean thinks he would be a good fit, I do to. That said, I think this shows Sean thinks this program can have sustained success and he doesn't have to go to NC or Kentucky.
Hate to nitpick, but our program has had sustained success. Miller has won or shared the Pac 12 regular season title 4 times. He's been to 3 Elite Eights. We finished the season in the top 10 and are poised to start next season in the top 5. We've been at a very high level since 2013 (that's five straight seasons). I don't think there are many programs in the country that can match Arizona's success in the last five years. It just hasn't translated to a Final Four. Kansas has had the same issues the last five seasons. Great overall resume. Dominant in conference play. Elite eights but no Final Four.

I'm guessing Miller believes bringing in Romar just makes a great thing even better.
gumby

Post by gumby »

zonagrad wrote:
UALoco wrote:SM needed to change something up to take this program to the next level. Next to convincing Mark D'Antoni to join in order to spark some offense, this is the next best thing. I hope Romar can stick around for 2-3 years so we can really gauge if this move makes a difference.

Hate to nitpick, but our program has had sustained success. Miller has won or shared the Pac 12 regular season title 4 times. He's been to 3 Elite Eights. We finished the season in the top 10 and are poised to start next season in the top 5. We've been at a very high level since 2013 (that's five straight seasons). I don't think there are many programs in the country that can match Arizona's success in the last five years. It just hasn't translated to a Final Four. Kansas has had the same issues the last five seasons. Great overall resume. Dominant in conference play. Elite eights but no Final Four.

I'm guessing Miller believes bringing in Romar just makes a great thing even better.
While we're nitpicking, it's Mike D'Antoni.
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

A few unlucky bounces doesn't change the fact that we are one of the five best programs/jobs in the country right now. When you weight all the pros and cons for every program, only 1 or 2 programs would be an upgrade from what Miller has here, one being the school we all worry about him leaving us for.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

rgdeuce wrote:A few unlucky bounces doesn't change the fact that we are one of the five best programs/jobs in the country right now. When you weight all the pros and cons for every program, only 1 or 2 programs would be an upgrade from what Miller has here, one being the school we all worry about him leaving us for.
At this point, the only job I could see Miller leaving for is in the NBA. If a pro team comes after him hard, the money may be too tough to turn down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:A few unlucky bounces doesn't change the fact that we are one of the five best programs/jobs in the country right now. When you weight all the pros and cons for every program, only 1 or 2 programs would be an upgrade from what Miller has here, one being the school we all worry about him leaving us for.
This. We consistently finish in the top ten and pull big time recruiting classes. KY, UNC, Duke, Kansas and Arizona pull that off. The only program I could see someone arguing knocks us out of that group is Louisville.

UCLA has history, but this was their best season since Miller took over and we still beat them 2 of 3. We don't look up at too many programs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:UCLA has history, but this was their best season since Miller took over and we still beat them 2 of 3. We don't look up at too many programs.
The Pac has been AZ's league for a while. Yes, Oregon and UCLA (and further back, Cal and Stanford and UW) occasionally have a good season (or two to three year run), but only AZ has had an elite coach in charge for the better part of the last 30+ years, and has had sustained excellence over that period. I think Altman is a terrific coach, and Oregon will remain strong as long as he's there. Howland was obviously very good at UCLA. Montgomery was very good at Stanford. The list of elite Pac coaches in the modern era is on the short side, and we've had two of them.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

How do you define right now? Because I don't think Arizona is all time and not sure they are top five now.

Duke
Kentucky
North Carolina
Kansas
Louisville

All of those are for sure above Arizona all time and right now and we still have a lot of schools to go through.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
How do you define right now? Because I don't think Arizona is all time and not sure they are top five now.

Duke
Kentucky
North Carolina
Kansas
Louisville

All of those are for sure above Arizona all time and right now and we still have a lot of schools to go through.
Do we have more to go through? I'm pretty sure those are the only other top contenders.

As I posted, I disagree about Louisville. There's the stripper investigation plus a sort of meh history in the 15 years prior to Pitino and having Kentucky in state. I understand an argument for Louisville over us, but do not agree with it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Duke
Kentucky
North Carolina
Kansas
Louisville

Do we have more to go through? I'm pretty sure those are the only other top contenders.

As I posted, I disagree about Louisville. There's the stripper investigation plus a sort of meh history in the 15 years prior to Pitino and having Kentucky in state. I understand an argument for Louisville over us, but do not agree with it.
I don't see that scandal as that big of a deal. But more final fours all time and recently and three titles and one being four years ago, I would say they are.

Gonzaga
Michigan State
Florida
Syracuse
UCONN
UCLA

I would put Arizona 3rd on that list right now as I define right now as the last 8 years or so
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hey, if we're arguing about whether AZ belongs among a group that includes UNC, Duke, UK, Kansas, and L'ville, I'd say we're in pretty good shape.

The main reason we're not undeniably among these teams is because we haven't gotten to the FF consistently, or recently. We've been as consistent as anyone in terms of league titles, conference tourney performance, recruiting, etc. But the glaring weak spot is zero FFs in 16 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Duke
Kentucky
North Carolina
Kansas
Louisville

I don't see that scandal as that big of a deal. But more final fours all time and recently and three titles and one being four years ago, I would say they are.

Gonzaga
Michigan State
Florida
Syracuse
UCONN
UCLA

I would put Arizona 3rd on that list right now as I define right now as the last 8 years or so
Who is above us? I would laugh at anyone besides MSU.

If you say UConn, I'm really, really going to laugh. They were under .500 and have missed the tourney 2 of the last three years (the third, they were one and done). Two fluke runs don't mean a healthy program.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UCONN has how many titles? I would gladly miss the tournament a few more times to win a few more titles. Are you going to say 1997 was a fluke run?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:UCONN has how many titles? I would gladly miss the tournament a few more times to win a few more titles. Are you going to say 1997 was a fluke run?
I actually agree with PHX on this. I'll take UConn's record over the past two decades over ours.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah, Spiff, I can't see your argument about us being recently better than a team who's won two nattys recently. Sorry.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:UCONN has how many titles? I would gladly miss the tournament a few more times to win a few more titles. Are you going to say 1997 was a fluke run?
In terms of what is a better job, repeated success is better than two runs. The question is pretty simple, if you took over a program today, would you rather have Arizona or Uconn?

I think that's a no brainer. Unless you're counting on lightning striking thrice, Arizona is in a much stronger place.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
In terms of what is a better job, repeated success is better than two runs. The question is pretty simple, if you took over a program today, would you rather have Arizona or Uconn?

I think that's a no brainer. Unless you're counting on lightning striking thrice, Arizona is in a much stronger place.
I see your points and agree to an extent but you are bragging about being a semi less successful Andy Reid
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:Yeah, Spiff, I can't see your argument about us being recently better than a team who's won two nattys recently. Sorry.
RG had posted about what the better job was, not who has been recently better. Like I posted above, for someone taking over today, Arizona is a better setup than Uconn, and I don't see much debatable about it.

What is a better situation is different from who has been better lately.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Puerco wrote:Yeah, Spiff, I can't see your argument about us being recently better than a team who's won two nattys recently. Sorry.
RG had posted about what the better job was, not who has been recently better. Like I posted above, for someone taking over today, Arizona is a better setup than Uconn, and I don't see much debatable about it.

Even then since their title UCONN has been a bit of a fire dumpster based on their prior reputation. It's hard to look at us and at them and say UCONN has recently been better than Arizona regardless of our Final Four shortcomings.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:What is a better situation is different from who has been better lately.
Okay, I get you. AZ is a better job; I agree. But UConn has been the better program for the past two decades.

Looking forward, I would be fairly surprised if UConn does better over the next 5 to 10 years than AZ.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:What is a better situation is different from who has been better lately.
Okay, I get you. AZ is a better job; I agree. But UConn has been the better program for the past two decades.

Looking forward, I would be fairly surprised if UConn does better over the next 5 to 10 years than AZ.
Jim Calhoun is a hall of fame coach. Kevin Ollie so far not so much.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

March Madness is premised on insane things happening in a one-and-out tourney. Of course Arizona is a stronger program than UConn.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Even then since their title UCONN has been a bit of a fire dumpster based on their prior reputation. It's hard to look at us and at them and say UCONN has recently been better than Arizona regardless of our Final Four shortcomings.
See, I tend to agree with that, at least to the extent that I think the "who has been better lately" argument is apples and oranges. Arizona is consistent success without the peaks. UConn is boom or bust, and increasingly leaning bust.

I think who has been better is arguable, but Arizona is 100% a stronger program. I'm not sure how much longer until Ollie is on the hot seat. They are fading fast and don't exactly have a ton of incoming help.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Romar getting $400K.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... aign=share" target="_blank
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

EVCat wrote:I am not a fan of Xs and Os Romar, and I made my opinion known that I thought he made bad in-game decisions from time to time. I also criticized their home court practice of playing super physical then coming unglued over and over again at every call until the refs just get afraid to make another call, but that is really more a criticism of the refs.

But, damn...as an associate head coach/assistant coach and recruiter? I could think he was the worst head coach in the PAC (I did not) and still think this is a steal and a home run, because Sean Miller is still the head coach, but we get all the attributes that got Romar a job and a run of successful teams at UW. And his weaknesses are mitigated by the fact that he isn't our head coach. And I wouldn't want him to be. But that is a far stretch from being disingenuous about his abilities in being excited about his hire as our associate HC.
The really good thing about this is that Romar and Miller don't have the same weaknesses - it should be a really good learning experience for both of them.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Hopefully Miller allows Romar to lift these guys up during tough games. Some players need tough love but sometimes you really just need someone who says they believe in you. I think Miller's intensity, for all that it is good for, has led to some of our guys getting psyched out in big games.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Miller is a witch. Or maybe it was all Jon?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-h ... ashington/" target="_blank

March 15th

(Are you thinking head coach or assistant. I talked to a few folks connected to the NBA and they floated your name in connection with the Los Angeles Clippers. It was kind of surprising to me, but thought I’d run that past you.)

“Wow. We’ve talked enough where I’ve said I wouldn’t consider the NBA, but as I went on and gotten older I said maybe. But right now at this point, I just don’t know which way God is leading and door is going to open. That is certainly something that would be an exciting option. There’s no doubt about it. We’ll see. I’ve been coaching in college though so that’s where I’ve been for 21 years as a head coach.”

(I just don’t see you as a college assistant coach right now.)

“Yeah, that wouldn’t be something I would really look to do right now I don’t think.”