The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Koloko listed by Eric Bossi of Rivals as one of ten players who could outplay their ranking.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ir-ranking" target="_blank
I'm not sure Koloko will play much, but that's in large part because Jeter, Nnaji, Lee and Gettings is a deep, talented rotation.

He looked much further along than I thought he'd be in the red/blue game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Koloko listed by Eric Bossi of Rivals as one of ten players who could outplay their ranking.

I'm not sure Koloko will play much, but that's in large part because Jeter, Nnaji, Lee and Gettings is a deep, talented rotation.

Rivals rated him as a 3 star and not even in their top 150 prospects. 247 on the other hand had him as a 4 star and in their top 100. From the way he looks so far 247 was much more accurate than Rivals was (far from surprising). If he ends up a starter at Arizona let alone ends up a NBA draft prospect, which appears very likely, then he would have grossly outplayed his Rivals ranking, which I think is Bossi's point.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

If history is any indication, Jeter is bound to get banged up and miss some time. I just don't think he's built for 25minutes/game. Hopefully he'll hold up all season and reach his full potential. But that's a big if. If Jeter is out, that offers Koloko some opportunity as a rim protector and low post option. Gettings is more of a stretch/perimeter player who can spread the floor. And Lee is undersized but very strong. The whole dynamic offers some strange matchup issues for opponents (and for Arizona). Lots of different types of players on this roster.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:If history is any indication, Jeter is bound to get banged up and miss some time. I just don't think he's built for 25minutes/game. Hopefully he'll hold up all season and reach his full potential. But that's a big if. If Jeter is out, that offers Koloko some opportunity as a rim protector and low post option. Gettings is more of a stretch/perimeter player who can spread the floor. And Lee is undersized but very strong. The whole dynamic offers some strange matchup issues for opponents (and for Arizona). Lots of different types of players on this roster.
Seems likely that Zeke will get any center minutes not taken by Jeter, but agreed it's great to have Koloko for depth this season and potential to be an impact player in the coming seasons.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
zonagrad wrote:If history is any indication, Jeter is bound to get banged up and miss some time. I just don't think he's built for 25minutes/game. Hopefully he'll hold up all season and reach his full potential. But that's a big if. If Jeter is out, that offers Koloko some opportunity as a rim protector and low post option. Gettings is more of a stretch/perimeter player who can spread the floor. And Lee is undersized but very strong. The whole dynamic offers some strange matchup issues for opponents (and for Arizona). Lots of different types of players on this roster.
Seems likely that Zeke will get any center minutes not taken by Jeter, but agreed it's great to have Koloko for depth this season and potential to be an impact player in the coming seasons.
That's basically what I thought. PF is too clogged with good players if we don't flex Nnaji to C to free him some minutes.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Miller needs to take advantage of different matchup problems his post players can cause. What works against Oregon may not work against UW, and vice versa.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Never saw any "combine" stats besides Stone's mile record. Weight lifting, verticals? etc. Devonaire or Josh have a 40" vert?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:Never saw any "combine" stats besides Stone's mile record. Weight lifting, verticals? etc. Devonaire or Josh have a 40" vert?
I don't remember where I heard it but it was from somewhere official during a broadcast or interview: Stone Gettings and Zeke Nnaji both put up huge bench press numbers (something like Ayton's 19 reps of 185).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... the-quack/" target="_blank

I ask in seriousness, is Pritchard really the best player in the Pac?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/p ... 019-10-24/" target="_blank

Arizona comes in at #17.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... the-quack/

Sophomore season Pritchard would be the fav heading into this season (coming off 15 / 4 / 5 on 45 / 41 / 78 shooting). But last season Pritchard's shooting really slumped in the middle of the year and while his production came up towards the end of the season, he never found his efficiency - especially from deep (shooting in the low thirties). Still he avg'd 16 / 4 / 5 / 2 over the last 11 games and was the reason the Ducks made the tournament.

He's a senior, he's been on several US Basketball teams, he's been the Pac-12 tournament MOP, he's made an all conference team. It's a safe pick to go with Pritchard.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azgreg wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/p ... 019-10-24/

Arizona comes in at #17.
This poll makes more sense to me than the media poll - Arizona at 17, Oregon at 14, and UNC at 11 is a the kind of tighter grouping that I would expect based on the rosters and coaches there. I'm specifically focused on those three as they all feature significant roster turnover with reliance on two incoming five star players and two grad transfers. There shouldn't be much space between them and that's what you see here.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... the-quack/

He's a solid point guard. And when surrounded by good players -- he doesn't need to carry a team but stays within himself. Put too much on his shoulders and he'll struggle to make shots he shouldn't be taking.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This is not a take I would have expected:

There are some question marks, however, namely the fact that none of Arizona’s big men are all that impressive. I don’t think anyone will feel all that comfortable with the likes of Chase Jeter, Stone Gettings and Ira Lee. That said, there are a couple of promising freshmen in the mix, and they may just be good enough for Arizona to win the Pac-12.

Chase Jeter is a former five star and a preseason all conference player who is on the Kareem watchlist. Ira Lee had a 120 ORtg and 20 PER in conference last season. Stone Gettings was an all conference player in the Ivy and has shown he's a very versatile big. And then of course there's Zeke Nnaji who was already a borderline five star that has gotten rave reviews. All backed up by Christian Koloko, a legit rim protecting seven footer, if need be.

I wouldn't point to our post players and say "that's the weakness." For me the bigger question mark is depth of quality ball handling and an uneasiness over projected performance at the two and three, both starters and depth.

Should we reconsider our post quality?
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

There are some question marks, however, namely the fact that none of Arizona’s big men are all that impressive. I don’t think anyone will feel all that comfortable with the likes of Chase Jeter, Stone Gettings and Ira Lee. That said, there are a couple of promising freshmen in the mix, and they may just be good enough for Arizona to win the Pac-12.

Chase Jeter is a former five star and an all conference player who is on the Kareem watchlist. Ira Lee had a 120 ORtg and 20 PER in conference last season. Stone Gettings was an all conference player in the Ivy and has shown he's a very versatile big. And then of course there's Zeke Nnaji who was already a borderline five star that has gotten rave reviews. All backed up by Christian Koloko, a legit rim protecting seven footer, if need be.

I wouldn't point to our post players and say "that's the weakness." For me the bigger question mark is depth of quality ball handling and an uneasiness over projected performance at the two and three, both starters and depth.

Guess it depends on how much you value the opinion of Rob Dauster.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Chase Jeter is a former five star and a preseason all conference player who is on the Kareem watchlist. Ira Lee had a 120 ORtg and 20 PER in conference last season. Stone Gettings was an all conference player in the Ivy and has shown he's a very versatile big. And then of course there's Zeke Nnaji who was already a borderline five star that has gotten rave reviews. All backed up by Christian Koloko, a legit rim protecting seven footer, if need be.

When Brandon Williams was healthy, Chase Jeter played better. When you have limited talent on the perimeter, your post players find life a lot tougher. The more talent at the point and perimeter, the better matchups for your post players.

I like the balance of talent and the skill sets of our players. We don't need Jeter to be the next DeAndre Ayton. We need him to be able to score in the post when he's defended by just one player who isn't an All-American. And he's proven he can do that. If opponents want to double our post players, I'd think they're gonna pay a heavy price when Mannion and Gettings are getting open looks from 3 and Doutrive and Green are are cutting to the basket for dunks.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Would anyone here take Pritchard over Nico?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:Would anyone here take Pritchard over Nico?
Nope.

Here's a debate question: Pritchard or McConnell?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

When Brandon Williams was healthy, Chase Jeter played better. When you have limited talent on the perimeter, your post players find life a lot tougher. The more talent at the point and perimeter, the better matchups for your post players.

I like the balance of talent and the skill sets of our players. We don't need Jeter to be the next DeAndre Ayton. We need him to be able to score in the post when he's defended by just one player who isn't an All-American. And he's proven he can do that. If opponents want to double our post players, I'd think they're gonna pay a heavy price when Mannion and Gettings are getting open looks from 3 and Doutrive and Green are are cutting to the basket for dunks.
That's how I feel about Jeter as well. 1 on 1 in the post, he consistently scored. He's not Kevin McHale, who will still score if doubled, but if the D doubles him, we've already won.

He is a solid rebounder, blocks a few shots and draws a lot of charges. He is not a guy you think will become a monster. Nico, Josh and Nnaji are our guys with monster ceilings. He is a solid anchor who can do what you need your post guy to do efficiently and demand respect.
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He is a solid rebounder, blocks a few shots and draws a lot of charges.
Not that I disagree with your overall point, but saying that Chase Jeter blocks a few shots is a pretty odd way of twisting his shot blocking deficiency into a positive. Jeter's inability to block shots would be a big problem if he wasn't so fundamentally sound with his footwork and defensive positioning, to your point.

Also, I don't consider Jeter a solid rebounder. In fact, now that there are more adept rebounders around him, I think his average goes down from an already meager 6.6rpg.

And while the charges drawn are awesome, there's considerable downside putting your bigs in the position to get in foul trouble that often. It's also antithetical to the idea of preserving Jeter's health over the course of a season.

Personally I'd like to see Jeter only out there for 20-25mpg, with Nnaji playing close to as many minutes at center. He would be a really solid role player in a front court built around Nnaji at the 5.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the biggest question mark with Jeter is durability above anything else - cant do or not do any of the points made above in street cloths, and the man has never played a full season.

that post for the second day in a row on this board is for Choo
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

zonagrad wrote:
Nope.

Pritchard vs McConnell is not even a question in my mind, TJM all day every day. I think in the Pritchard vs Mannion debate, I'd take Pritchard the first 3 months of the season, Mannion the rest of the way.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

terryarms wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:He is a solid rebounder, blocks a few shots and draws a lot of charges.
Not that I disagree with your overall point, but saying that Chase Jeter blocks a few shots is a pretty odd way of twisting his shot blocking deficiency into a positive. Jeter's inability to block shots would be a big problem if he wasn't so fundamentally sound with his footwork and defensive positioning, to your point.

Also, I don't consider Jeter a solid rebounder. In fact, now that there are more adept rebounders around him, I think his average goes down from an already meager 6.6rpg.

And while the charges drawn are awesome, there's considerable downside putting your bigs in the position to get in foul trouble that often. It's also antithetical to the idea of preserving Jeter's health over the course of a season.

Personally I'd like to see Jeter only out there for 20-25mpg, with Nnaji playing close to as many minutes at center. He would be a really solid role player in a front court built around Nnaji at the 5.
His block percentage was higher at Duke and higher than Ayton at that point. He was lower than Ayton last year.

I think the best comparison for Jeter in terms of shotblocking and rebounding is Dusan Ristic. His block % was 0.7% higher than Dusan and Dusan's overall rebound % was 0.3% higher than Jeter.

In both areas they were very close, and I'd class them similarly as solid, not exceptional. Jeter is a much better overall defender than Dusan due to lateral movement.

I'm not arguing he is outstanding, but he gives solid production. Between the charges and some shotblocking, at least the D has to consider him on drives.

One of the basic ideas I'm rolling with is that we look to guys like Jeter for glue, and guys like Nico, Josh and Zeke to be breakout stars.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Blocked shots is a Sean Miller issue not a particular player issue. We have been 5th or worse in blocks in the conference in 8 out of 10 years despite our front court consistently being bigger and arguably more talented then the majority of teams in the Pac 12/10.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Seems protecting the 3 ball going up is more important than protecting the rim
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azgreg wrote:
That dude is 45
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:His block percentage was higher at Duke and higher than Ayton at that point. He was lower than Ayton last year.

I think the best comparison for Jeter in terms of shotblocking and rebounding is Dusan Ristic. His block % was 0.7% higher than Dusan and Dusan's overall rebound % was 0.3% higher than Jeter.

In both areas they were very close, and I'd class them similarly as solid, not exceptional. Jeter is a much better overall defender than Dusan due to lateral movement.

I'm not arguing he is outstanding, but he gives solid production. Between the charges and some shotblocking, at least the D has to consider him on drives.

One of the basic ideas I'm rolling with is that we look to guys like Jeter for glue, and guys like Nico, Josh and Zeke to be breakout stars.
He averaged 0.6 blocks in 24 mpg at Arizona (his numbers at Duke are irrelevant for obvious reasons). That's not a positive contribution shot blocker at the 5 no matter how you slice it. Comparing him to Dusan in shot blocking further solidifies the point that Jeter is bad at blocking shots. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Green provides more shot blocking than Jeter this season.

That said, I'm with you on Jeter as a glue guy. I want him out there to play solid fundamental defense, not make mistakes, and put up some opportunistic high percentage shots. I just don't think his value will at all be related to shot blocking, and only marginal in the area of rebounding.

His contributions will be the ones that don't necessarily fill up the columns on the box score, but help teams win games. He can be that smart, steady player that helps pace the game for our high end talent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Let's be honest any shot blocking you get in the packline defense is merely a bonus. More often than not they will come from off the ball situations. Jeter's job defensively is to hedge on the perimeter, get back on his man immediately, and be tall. Blocking is literally 1000% optional.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:Blocked shots is a Sean Miller issue not a particular player issue. We have been 5th or worse in blocks in the conference in 8 out of 10 years despite our front court consistently being bigger and arguably more talented then the majority of teams in the Pac 12/10.
Should've just quoted this post. Packline gonna packline y'all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:the biggest question mark with Jeter is durability above anything else - cant do or not do any of the points made above in street cloths, and the man has never played a full season.

that post for the second day in a row on this board is for Choo
My man!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
Nope.

I wouldn't take Pritch over Nico either. And yeah, TJM over Pritch all day. Like, not even close.

That said, I do think Pritch is among the current most valuable players in the Pac, and it's clear that Oregon's fate this year is tied to his performance. Still, I look around the league and see some guys I'd probably take ahead of him.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

zonagrad wrote:
Nope.

Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

zonagrad wrote:
Nope.

Seriously? There is a debate there? Is Pritchard that good?
McConnell is the correct answer.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:Seems protecting the 3 ball going up is more important than protecting the rim

I thought the packline tries to force bad 3-point shots to go up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Let's be honest any shot blocking you get in the packline defense is merely a bonus. More often than not they will come from off the ball situations. Jeter's job defensively is to hedge on the perimeter, get back on his man immediately, and be tall. Blocking is literally 1000% optional.
This is a good point. The packline is supposed to stop penetration with help, not a rim protector. Jeter's ability to draw charges is actually more in keeping with packline.

Looking back, even a freak athlete like Aaron Gordon only had a 3.4 block %. Zeus never got higger than 4.9%.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azgreg wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/p ... 019-10-24/" target="_blank

Arizona comes in at #17.
They’re the preseason Number one for the first time - now a major player out indefinitely

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ot-injury/" target="_blank
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I've said "the packline doesn't want you to get blocks" about a hundred times but Virginia had two guys with >10% block percentages last season and at least one starting post player with a 5% or greater block % since 2013. 5% is a nice round "that's pretty good" block rate... 8% gets you into "very good... 10% or larger is elite.

So the point probably has merit - dudes aren't driving to the rim worried about Chase Jeter or any of our guys for that matter. Curious if there's a way to see opponent field goal percentage at the rim by season and see how we've ranked historically.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:I've said "the packline doesn't want you to get blocks" about a hundred times but Virginia had two guys with >10% block percentages last season and at least one starting post player with a 5% or greater block % since 2013. 5% is a nice round "that's pretty good" block rate... 8% gets you into "very good... 10% or larger is elite.

So the point probably has merit - dudes aren't driving to the rim worried about Chase Jeter or any of our guys for that matter. Curious if there's a way to see opponent field goal percentage at the rim by season and see how we've ranked historically.
Reminds me of Marc Gasol being DPOY over Ibaka, despite Serge's insane block numbers. People knew not to mess with Gasol.

Not saying that's the scenario here, just that there's a lot more complexity around this topic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I've said "the packline doesn't want you to get blocks" about a hundred times but Virginia had two guys with >10% block percentages last season and at least one starting post player with a 5% or greater block % since 2013. 5% is a nice round "that's pretty good" block rate... 8% gets you into "very good... 10% or larger is elite.

Play to your players' strengths right? I mean the packline isn't designed to draw charges, but Chase Jeter is certainly a plus in that regard.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It was a smaller sample size, but Jeter was 6.7% his sophomore year at Duke. For me, a big aspect of being a rim protector is just making them think about you. Even if you don't block a ton of shots, if the opponents have to worry you can or might take a charge, you're providing something.

I'm interested to see if Zeke can help our interior D. He has length.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Play to your players' strengths right? I mean the packline isn't designed to draw charges, but Chase Jeter is certainly a plus in that regard.
Right, and in some ways, taking charges down in the paint is a way to protect the paint similar to the way a big-time shot blocker would protect the paint.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Perhaps I am remembering wrong, but I thought Virginia adjusted their PNR coverage based on personnel. That said, Miller's packline protects the paint with positioning. Thats the entire point. Guys arent asked to come off the weak side to block shots, because the entire team is tasked with being human barriers on the way to the paint. This can be schemed against, but in general, it is why you dont see many guys block shots at the rim in Tucson.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
Dying to know what his case was.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Josh Green with the gold jersey this week. Joins DD and Nnaji as winners... I’ll echo 97 and say hopefully that means these guys are doing great against good competition.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Dying to know what his case was.
I’d assume he used the same “no roster spot open for me” argument that won Grimes his waiver from KU to Houston.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The Chico State game this friday is NOT listed on any TV network. Does anyone know if the game will be broadcast on radio?

Edit: I just checked the AZ website again and the UA will live-stream the game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

On my pac 12 channel it says “live sports”. I wonder if they will slot it in there?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

To reiterate: the Chico State exhibition will be live streamed at ArizonaWildcats.com beginning Friday at 6:30pm Mountain Time.

I've never watched a live stream through the Arizona website, but I'll just have faith that there will be an obvious link and a good broadcast.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I think that's how it was last year. Can't remember if the game was up for watching after its over though. I see "Live Sports" from 6-8 on P12. Hmmm

Just went back 2 seasons, exhibition games were on P12
ChooChooCat wrote:Dying to know what his case was.
Did AZ support it? Curious how much pull the prior team has in getting these approved. There really are no "set" transfer rules