Bill Walton - Legend

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Reydituto

Re: Ban Bill Walton Petition

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:
Reydituto wrote:
gumby wrote:Give me who committed fouls. Graphics on stats. More crowd noise.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-ooooooooooooooooooooooooooring ...
Always the game to watch ....
That goes without saying. No one is saying basketball isn;t enough, or that they "need" more "color" in their color commentary while tuning into a game they purposely chose to see, some are just saying they prefer it, and enjoy it.

You could also just put ham & cheddar on white bread with a little bit of mayo, but I like toasted multi-grain bread, ripe tomatoes, gem lettuce leaves, havarti cheese, onion jam and stone ground mustard on my ham & cheese sandwiches. Maybe some avocado instead of the mayo.

Now I'm hungry ...
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Me, too. Hope they can get it on the menu, instead of LSD.

Walton on Thursday. Throw it down!!!
Right where I want to be.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/02/2 ... dia-circus

First paragraph is quite an opening to the interview.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

gumby wrote:Me, too. Hope they can get it on the menu, instead of LSD.

Saying Bill is "LSD" on that "menu", is an overstatement.

Saying Bill has taken LSD in the course of his life, is not.

I did throw down a Ham & Havarti sandwich on multigrain though. Was out of onion jam unfortunately.
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Reydituto wrote:
gumby wrote:Me, too. Hope they can get it on the menu, instead of LSD.

Saying Bill is "LSD" on that "menu", is an overstatement.

Saying Bill has taken LSD in the course of his life, is not.

I did throw down a Ham & Havarti sandwich on multigrain though. Was out of onion jam unfortunately.
Do you make your own onion jam? Don't tell me it's another TJ's product that I have drive two hours to obtain.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I figured it was dunk that makes opponents cry.

But

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/ch ... zed-onions

Next trip! (No, not that kind, Bill)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:I figured it was dunk that makes opponents cry.

But

That's definitely a taste for me. I also like a cheddar and Branston pickle sandwich. And that Cotwald cheese.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Longhorned wrote:Do you make your own onion jam? Don't tell me it's another TJ's product that I have drive two hours to obtain.
Yes. I use sweet onions (Vidalia, Walla Walla, Az Gold, Hawaiian whatever), about 3-4 depending on size, cut into strips, add 1-2 TB of raw or light brown sugar, an ounce or so of good balsamic vinegar, and cook slowly for about 90 minutes in a non-stick pan with a touch of olive oil, adding 1/4 cup of water every 30 minutes to deglaze and scrape the pan. It's basically Martha Stewart's recipe with a couple of tweaks. Sometimes I put a couple stalks of rosemary and pull them out at the end, sometimes a quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice right at the end.

Never seen it at Trader Joe's.
gumby wrote:I figured it was dunk that makes opponents cry.

But

Love that cheese, have a brick of it at home.

I'm hungry again.
gumby

Post by gumby »

No, not that kind of brick, Bill.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Loved Lunardi setting Walton straight on how seeding works. Also shot down him down on our SOS historically. On the other hand, happy birthday to Levi Strauss. Who knew?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Loved Lunardi setting Walton straight on how seeding works. Also shot down him down on our SOS historically. On the other hand, happy birthday to Levi Strauss. Who knew?
Bill's naivete about how college basketball works is annoying.

Saying that Arizona needs to schedule Kentucky and Duke was stupid. Does Duke need to schedule Arizona? Does Kentucky? It's funny how he's talking "Conference of Champions" bullshit one minute and then he's talking about how the conference does Arizona no favors the next and how they need to schedule like they're a mid-major to get any respect.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

He also said Washington and Colorado would both be top-12 nationally if fully healthy...that's quite a stretch.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Switched to NBA channel during commercials. It was Bulls and Sonics, 1996. Walton on the mike totally engaged in the game. He's coasting now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Some people might label me a curmudgeon or a hater, but I honestly believe he's doing a disservice to his employers and to the fans.

I get it that the tangent thing is schtick. It's played up by the networks (Walton's World, birthdays, etc.) and by his broadcast partners to varying degrees. But I don't think it's ok to largely ignore the game people have tuned into see. I don't watch the Cats play to see and hear Walton pontificate on only those things that interest him. I genuinely care about the game and the teams involved. And I genuinely do not care what Walton's thoughts are on a whole host of topics.

Last night when Pasch kept saying let's get back to the game and Walton went off about how if the Colorado players didn't care, why should he, I thought that was a fairly stupid thing to say. Of course the Colorado players care. And quite obviously the Arizona players care a lot. And Arizona was playing a fairly superb all-around game. Everyone was involved on both ends of the court and they were running all aspects of the game nearly to perfection for long stretches. To blithely dismiss that as beneath your capacity to notice because the game was a blowout is idiotic and it's patently unfair to the fans who are invested in their teams.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yosh Katz
11 hrs · Los Angeles, CA
For all you Bill Walton haters, Arizona has not lost a game that Walton has called since March 2, 2013 at UCLA, a streak of 20 wins for UA.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I enjoy listening to Walton when we are playing teams like Pacific, UTEP, and Washington St, but not when we are playing top notch teams
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
Last night when Pasch kept saying let's get back to the game and Walton went off about how if the Colorado players didn't care, why should he, I thought that was a fairly stupid thing to say. Of course the Colorado players care.
Not according to Cryin' Tad in the presser.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

lol, a polarizing figure. That's exactly what ESPN wants and exactly what gets ratings. Otherwise, it's just another game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Yosh Katz
11 hrs · Los Angeles, CA
For all you Bill Walton haters, Arizona has not lost a game that Walton has called since March 2, 2013 at UCLA, a streak of 20 wins for UA.
Couldn't have done it without him. We're also undefeated when I watch with my pet unicorn.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:lol, a polarizing figure. That's exactly what ESPN wants and exactly what gets ratings. Otherwise, it's just another game.
Message: College basketball not interesting enough on its own, so throw in a side show. Maybe they'll start interviewing stars of ABC shows during the games.

"Tune into Arizona-Utah, where Jimmy Kimmel will reveal tonight's guests!"

BTW, Battier was horrible in the studio. Guy's been playing in the NBA for a dozen years, so drop him in the chair and call him a college basketball expert!

Just the continuing theme of treating this sport like a stepchild. Here comes Kenny, Chuck and Reggie!
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Alieberman wrote:I enjoy listening to Walton when we are playing teams like Pacific, UTEP, and Washington St, but not when we are playing top notch teams
Colorado was far from top notch.

Sincerely,
Judge Elihu Smails
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Reydituto wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I enjoy listening to Walton when we are playing teams like Pacific, UTEP, and Washington St, but not when we are playing top notch teams
Colorado was far from top notch.

Sincerely,
Judge Elihu Smails
But they were tremendous slouches.
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

What's our Fraschilla record?
gumby

Post by gumby »

With Pasch. We're undefeated with him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Honest question for the board: Would anyone here want to listen to Bill Walton and Dave Pasch do an NCAA Tournament game?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Chicat wrote:Honest question for the board: Would anyone here want to listen to Bill Walton and Dave Pasch do an NCAA Tournament game?
Maybe a 1 vs 16 when its over 10 minutes in. They kill time great but if the game is close...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gilbertcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Honest question for the board: Would anyone here want to listen to Bill Walton and Dave Pasch do an NCAA Tournament game?
Maybe a 1 vs 16 when its over 10 minutes in. They kill time great but if the game is close...
Yeah, but unless it's Arizona, or literally the only game on for a stretch, you're not watching a 1 destroy a 16.

But if it's a 1 vs. 16 and the game is close and the historic upset is brewing, do you really want to hear Walton waxing poetic on everything but the game and Pasch's awkward silences?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ours? An honest yes. I love Walton, and I can see how in a tight game against a great team, he could be annoying. He lightens the tensity up for me in those games though, which is good, because I am a screamer and my blood pressure is always through the roof in big games. In games against weak opponents though, I think a lot of people hate just to hate.

I wouldn't want him doing anything past the sweet 16 though. I am used to certain voices in those elite 8 and on games though, so that is part of it.
Zero

Post by Zero »

"I have milked a cow and I have been milked"
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Zero wrote:"I have milked a cow and I have been milked"
That elicited the longest silence ever from Dave P.... :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

No way. I enjoy Walton in meaningless games, but was so thankful he was not calling the Utah game last week. He would have completely ruined the big game feel.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Tensity? :)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i guess i wouldn't mind him in a 15-2 or 16-1 game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:
No way. I enjoy Walton in meaningless games, but was so thankful he was not calling the Utah game last week. He would have completely ruined the big game feel.
We're in our 10th consecutive week of "Must Sweep," which were the meaningless games? And why wasn't I informed in advance?

Walton and Enberg did the 2001 Regional Final against Illnois, a tense, emotional, lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-oo-ng struggle (57 fouls). I would take that Walton, but not Sideshow Bil.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

As always it depends on the alternative. Pasch/Walton are far from the worst duo.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If anybody else still has the tape, go back and listen to Walton commentate with Dick Enberg (IIRC?) on the Arizona Elite Eight victory over Illinois in 2001.

Sure, it was punctuated by the "Throw it down, big fella!" comment towards Loren Woods, but most of the rest of it (again, IIRC) was quite lucid and engaged with the action--especially compared to now, when he's practically contractually obligated to riff himself and his personality.

It's sort of like what happened to Dick Vitale, only over the course of one decade instead of three. All that's left may be the persona.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Yes.

I think Walton gets bored easily, especially with mediocrity - which, let's face it, describes the majority of the Pac-12 this season. Most NCAA Tournament games are not boring, involve good teams playing decent basketball, & usually the quality of play it increases as we go deeper into the tourney. So, I have no problem believing he'd be more focused as the games increase in gravitas. Sure, he might get a little repetitive, but he can still break plays down.
Last edited by Reydituto on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:Walton and Enberg did the 2001 Regional Final against Illnois, a tense, emotional, lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-oo-ng struggle (57 fouls). I would take that Walton, but not Sideshow Bil.
It's been quite a few bong hits since 2001.
gumby

Post by gumby »

True. Plus being milked has to take a toll.
Zero

Post by Zero »

pc in NM wrote:
Zero wrote:"I have milked a cow and I have been milked"
That elicited the longest silence ever from Dave P.... :lol:

It was perfect! :D
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

Bill Walton is great. Change the title of this thread.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

On TOS the equivalent thread was "Shit Bill Walton Says"
-JB
gumby

Post by gumby »

Well, it started as a thread pointing out the existence of the petition. Became the shit he says ever since.

Did he thank Lute for water in the desert?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I would watch a game I wasn't interested in and wouldn't otherwise watch if they were calling. They are my favorite announcing team.
Zero

Post by Zero »

I'm gonna miss hearing Bill after the pac12 tourney.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ASUCatFan wrote:
I would watch a game I wasn't interested in and wouldn't otherwise watch if they were calling. They are my favorite announcing team.
Everyone knows NCAA basketball announcing achieved perfection with Gus Johnson & Bill Raftery, it's a scientific fact.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, but they still think Baja is an island, not a peninsula.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

How many times tonight?...Dave, is that your name?
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

ASUCatFan wrote:
I would watch whatever they were announcing. I wish there was a website that told me exactly what games they were announcing. I would try to find the Walton\Pasch announced games and just watch those. They are the first official "Odd Couple" ESPN announcer pairing. I love it. It's great entertainment!
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azthrillhouse wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:
Everyone knows NCAA basketball announcing achieved perfection with Gus Johnson & Bill Raftery, it's a scientific fact.
True Dat