Allow Beachcat to stay?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Should BeachCat be able to post going forward?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 88

Alieberman

Re: Allow Beachcat to stay?

Post by Alieberman »

I think some people may have changed their vote had they heard beachcat apologize.

He probably shouldn't have been banned before the poll and allowed to defend himself/apologize in this thread.

I know he met a bet and we should all honor our word but this isn't serious stuff here. He sounds honestly remorseful, and I believe we should let him off the hook
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Lol, 5 pages worth of posts on this.

I voted 'no' in the beginning simply because I'm a gambler, and he is the one who made the bet. It would be nice if Vegas let you have your money back sometimes. Chalk it up to a learning lesson for him.

Like Alieb said above, this really isn't that serious, pretty silly actually. I'm down with letting him back now or at least banning him until after the Cats cut down the nets April 3rd. Either is fine in my book.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I think some people may have changed their vote had they heard beachcat apologize.

He probably shouldn't have been banned before the poll and allowed to defend himself/apologize in this thread.
You should probably note that he did have the opportunity to defend himself/apologize and instead he came back with "it's only a message board" and a warning to the community not to act "like you're ten years old". It was only then that he got banned. It's not like the final buzzer sounded at the UCLA game and I dropped the ban hammer. He could have come back with some humility and instead he decided to be his same Beachcat self. It was only after he couldn't post for a few days that all of a sudden he's turned over a new leaf.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I think some people may have changed their vote had they heard beachcat apologize.

You should probably note that he did have the opportunity to defend himself/apologize and instead he came back with "it's only a message board" and a warning to the community not to act "like you're ten years old". It was only then that he got banned. It's not like the final buzzer sounded at the UCLA game and I dropped the ban hammer. He could have come back with some humility and instead he decided to be his same Beachcat self. It was only after he couldn't post for a few days that all of a sudden he's turned over a new leaf.
I agree and I'm not saying you weren't justified in the quick ban. Not saying he handled himself well here.

I just think if someone wants to post here and they are going to at least make an effort not to be a terrible person we should let them

BTW- 95% of Beachcats posts up to this point have annoyed the crap out of me. (But at least they make me laugh)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Either way, looks like we'll get a taste of what conversations are like without the constant, annoying, self-hating digs at Arizona basketball that derail conversations between fans and rivals. Who knows, maybe we'll hate direct discussions and beg him to come back next week. Maybe it will be hard not hearing about how Arizona won't keep it close at Eugene, and how Miller could take a step up by moving to Syracuse.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Wow. This thread has now made me dizzy.

But I think BC97's admission of being antagonistic is impressive & welcomed for sure.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Everyone: I want to remain part of this board and am prepared to honor whatever the group wants to do. So while I do hope to keep my posting privileges, I certainly understand if it's necessary to impose a ban, hopefully just not a permanent one.

Thanks to all who've chimed in. It's given me a lot to think about. You'll be seeing a different tone/vibe from me moving forward.

Bear down!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Things won't change guys...you'll see.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Beachcat97 wrote:Hi, everyone. What follows was sent to the admin yesterday. So yes, I did attempt to apologize.

"I readily admit that I made a huge mistake agreeing to that bet. I'm a UofA alum (class of '99) and love the Cats. I should know better than to antagonize the team or their fans. I get carried away sometimes. I'll learn from this experience and keep it in check moving forward. I feel terrible about this and do apologize."

I'm sorry to anyone I may've offended. I've followed this thread and now wonder if I should seek psychological counseling or something. It's a serious subject, and I do appreciate the concern, if that's what it is.

Lastly, I just want to express heartfelt, unwavering support for the UofA. I love the school, its teams, and its community. It's an exciting time to be a UofA fan, and like all of you, I can't wait for March.

Bear Down!
Very big of you to step up and apologize. I've sent you a PM, better suited there than here on the main board.

I think Beachcat's acknowledgment says quite a bit. He does still need to repay his debt though, so who has first dibs on the Avatar/Name? :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Everyone: I want to remain part of this board and am prepared to honor whatever the group wants to do. So while I do hope to keep my posting privileges, I certainly understand if it's necessary to impose a ban, hopefully just not a permanent one.

Thanks to all who've chimed in. It's given me a lot to think about. You'll be seeing a different tone/vibe from me moving forward.

Bear down!
I blocked you and have been heavily critical of a lot of your posts.

If your words are ones you'll carry through in actions, I respect that. I've always thought you should get a chance to demonstrate that you deserve to be back through actions, so this doesn't really change anything for me. I do genuinely hope that you are invested in following through. That is better for you and the community at large.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alright guys let's wrap this up, who's for a season long ban and then we all move on with our lives? We're just talking two months here, nothing serious, but still gets the point across of don't make bets you can't cash.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Alright guys let's wrap this up, who's for a season long ban and then we all move on with our lives? We're just talking two months here, nothing serious, but still gets the point across of don't make bets you can't cash.
Sounds good to me.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He needs to get what he asked for in his original post. Ban him for however long people want to ban him for...but he boasted, came back and boasted again, and now suddenly found god and changed...

But if you expect different outcomes in the future, shame on you.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Alright guys let's wrap this up, who's for a season long ban and then we all move on with our lives? We're just talking two months here, nothing serious, but still gets the point across of don't make bets you can't cash.
Sounds good to me.
Are there posted forum rules about anything like a 2/3 requirement for banning? If not, this ban is done. If so, then he has to be allowed back now. But if the ban is in place, the only way to bring Beachcat back after the season will be through a vote to reinstate, since this vote didn't include an end date.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Sounds good to me.
Are there posted forum rules about anything like a 2/3 requirement for banning? If not, this ban is done. If so, then he has to be allowed back now. But if the ban is in place, the only way to bring Beachcat back after the season will be through a vote to reinstate, since this vote didn't include an end date.
I think you're making it more complicated and bureaucratic than it needs to be. There's no 2/3 requirement but quite a few posters have said they're cool with letting him back at the end of the season. So let's just let that be the decision.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Kudos for the apology, and I guess I can agree with revisiting this, in limited fashion, (as is being done) after allowing him to say his piece. But I stand by my vote. He voluntarily created and made the bet, himself. This is significant. He wasn't goaded or pushed into anything. And there are consequences. Not to get all stupid and soap-boxing, but especially now in this time and age. Accountability is a must. Ban until at least the post-season.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Sounds good to me.
I think you're making it more complicated and bureaucratic than it needs to be. There's no 2/3 requirement but quite a few posters have said they're cool with letting him back at the end of the season. So let's just let that be the decision.
I'm on board with that.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Olsondogg wrote:Things won't change guys...you'll see.
Don't disagree. This free flowing change from him is just a little too boxed up. Sounds like a 3yr old that just had his monster truck toy taken away - would say or do just about anything to get it back.

Despite his words, I'm still of the position that he should be banned indefinitely and allowed to petition for reinstatement at the end of the season. Not that anyone wants to rehash this subject again, but we can only take what he says at less than face value today. In 3 months after the dust has settled, I think honesty comes out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Why don't we Rochambeau for it?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Why don't we Rochambeau for it?
I go first.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What is this, middle school?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Why don't we Rochambeau for it?
I go first.
This guy gets it.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

By the time a decision is made, the basketball season will be over. :lol:
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I like the lifetime ban that gets paroled after the season.

Lifetime bans get repealed all the time. Parole exists in our judicial system for a reason. But without making him at least live up to the end of this season, nothing changes.

That's all I got. It isn't life or death. But I feel like a bet has to be paid. If we choose to give him some of his money back down the road, that's our business. But he has to at least pay the bet. Plus, it's best for him. If he stays, he is just going to be overly friendly and bland and no one will know if he is sincere or just trolling the result of his trolling. He comes back next season, it's over, move on.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Who is Beachcat?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Maybe a week for every Heh? Ov course, that's like sentencing someone to 356 years of jail time.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:He needs to get what he asked for in his original post. Ban him for however long people want to ban him for...but he boasted, came back and boasted again, and now suddenly found god and changed...

Disagree, but no surprise there. If we banned everyone you don't like for one reason or another it'd be Olsondoggsechochamber.com within a year or two. And I'm guessing not many of us want that.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Puerco wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:He needs to get what he asked for in his original post. Ban him for however long people want to ban him for...but he boasted, came back and boasted again, and now suddenly found god and changed...

Disagree, but no surprise there. If we banned everyone you don't like for one reason or another it'd be Olsondoggsechochamber.com within a year or two. And I'm guessing not many of us want that.
Wise words my Singapore-based Puerco ;-).....I would be happy with a contrite signature and the Mods keeping him on a tight leash for the rest of the season.....he seems to be sincerely apologetic.....I would just hope he would be more positive / constructive with his team criticisms, etc....then again I also defer to the Mods and those who know him better than I do.

BTFD. Peace.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Been based in Switzerland the past few years, brother. It's somehow same-same but different. ;)
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Puerco wrote:Been based in Switzerland the past few years, brother. It's somehow same-same but different. ;)
Wow, very cool....literally ;-). Enjoy the posting and survive the winter....huge change from Singapore!
Beach cats mom

Post by Beach cats mom »

His step father and I had a talk about his behavior. He's been grounded for a week with no bike, no nintendo, and we took down all the UCLA posters in his room.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Beach cats mom wrote:His step father and I had a talk about his behavior. He's been grounded for a week with no bike, no nintendo, and we took down all the UCLA posters in his room.

morning laugh.. :lol:
Bear Down Vegas

I love this.

I'd love it even more if it was actually BeachCat.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I love this.

If it was actually him, he should be allowed to return just for that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:I love this.

If it was actually him, he should be allowed to return just for that.
Seriously. Like when Pee Wee knocked over all the Harleys, but danced his final wish.
Beach cats mom

Post by Beach cats mom »

We've allowed him to have his gameboy again, but he is strictly forbidden from using the internet.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

morning chuckles..hilarious :lol:
Beach cats mom

Post by Beach cats mom »

Disobedience is never funny. We caught him trying to sneak into Worthington's Tavern last year. We ended up giving away the UCLA/Cal State Northridge tickets to the nice young couple down the street as a result.
Bear Down Vegas

Beach Cats Mom bringing the fire. Very welcomed & appreciated.