let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RawleArenas

Re: let's talk '21

Post by RawleArenas »

What people don't seem to realize is that Sean Miller's tenure has helped to maintain our 8th ranking. If the program had nosedived after Miller's hire, we wouldn't even be in the top 20.

I think the real problem is that the rebuild after the FBI scandal is taking longer than expected, and as blue blood fans we are notoriously impatient. But I suspect if we have average results for the next couple of years the situation will likely will work itself out.

What's hurting us more than the scandal is the fact that our 2017 class didn't work out (with the exception of Ayton). If those guys were what we expected we would have been top 10 last year. I have a weird feeling about this team, I think we will be better than expected.

I'm not sure if we have taken a hit on recruiting as much as the top players are going to lesser schools now (like Zaire, Christopher, Maker) or are going to the G league (like Kuminga and Jalen Green). We keep our standards the same as they were 20 years ago without calibrating to today's basketball climate. Even the Kentucky and Duke are not getting five stars across the board like they used to.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Analysis: that’s a lot of excuses

Which, at this point, is usually what it takes to get to “we should give Miller an extension.”

/shrug

We can do this for some more years until more people change their mind.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RawleArenas wrote:What people don't seem to realize is that Sean Miller's tenure has helped to maintain our 8th ranking. If the program had nosedived after Miller's hire, we wouldn't even be in the top 20.

I think the real problem is that the rebuild after the FBI scandal is taking longer than expected, and as blue blood fans we are notoriously impatient. But I suspect if we have average results for the next couple of years the situation will likely will work itself out.

What's hurting us more than the scandal is the fact that our 2017 class didn't work out (with the exception of Ayton). If those guys were what we expected we would have been top 10 last year. I have a weird feeling about this team, I think we will be better than expected.

I'm not sure if we have taken a hit on recruiting as much as the top players are going to lesser schools now (like Zaire, Christopher, Maker) or are going to the G league (like Kuminga and Jalen Green). We keep our standards the same as they were 20 years ago without calibrating to today's basketball climate. Even the Kentucky and Duke are not getting five stars across the board like they used to.
This is a good post, Rawle.

I think most here do recognize that Miller has *kept* us at a high level. Had he gotten some better luck in just one of those three E8s, our perception of him gets even more favorable. But even without a FF, he's won numerous Pac titles, landed numerous elite classes and has had several sexy OOC wins. Miller's tenure at AZ has been largely a success. Not Lute-level, but that's not a fair comparison.

I agree that this year's team may surprise people. We're sneaky deep. Think Akinjo is gonna be fun to watch.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: I agree that this year's team may surprise people. We're sneaky deep. Think Akinjo is gonna be fun to watch.
On paper, it is an intriguing roster, if not an under-the-radar one. It should be interesting, especially if Miller takes advantage of the depth -- he seems reluctant to take advantage of deep rosters (to be fair, he hasn't had many in recent years).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gregg is headed to Zaga.

Remaining recruits to focus on for the fall signing period are Daron Holmes, Shane Nowell (props to Scheer and his crew for being way out ahead on this one), D’marco Dunn, and Jamarion Sharp.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Gregg is headed to Zaga.

Remaining recruits to focus on for the fall signing period are Daron Holmes, Shane Nowell (props to Scheer and his crew for being way out ahead on this one), D’marco Dunn, and Jamarion Sharp.
Well that’s a bummer Choo on Gregg. Of those others who do you feel good about? Isn’t Dunn the kid from Tucson now in NC? One would think NC would be his choice
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

CCC, are you familiar enough with Nowell/Dunn/Mashack to compare/contrast games and fit. Mashack on paper sounded like one of the most Milleresque recruits in awhile.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:

Well that’s a bummer Choo on Gregg. Of those others who do you feel good about? Isn’t Dunn the kid from Tucson now in NC? One would think NC would be his choice
Feel confident in Nowell and Holmes. Dunn likely goes to UNC and I’m unsure on what the staff’s plan is with Sharp (not sure if a backup option if we miss out on Holmes or what).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:

CCC, are you familiar enough with Nowell/Dunn/Mashack to compare/contrast games and fit. Mashack on paper sounded like one of the most Milleresque recruits in awhile.
Dunn is all shooter, Mashack is all athlete, and Nowell has a great midrange game with a lot of Dalen Terry in him in regards to great passing ability and good on the boards. I’m not sure why we prioritized Nowell over Mashack honestly, my guess is to build Jason Terry’s recruiting rep and go from there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bummer about Gregg...

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Whoa, that Sharpe kid looks huge! He could fill the middle LOL

So the Holmes kid is from Phoenix? Reminds me of a right handed Deron Johnson way back when

Can the Nowell kid be another RHJ? Besides for both bring left handed would love for him to be a plus defender
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Whoa, that Sharpe kid looks huge! He could fill the middle LOL

So the Holmes kid is from Phoenix? Reminds me of a right handed Deron Johnson way back when

Can the Nowell kid be another RHJ? Besides for both bring left handed would love for him to be a plus defender
Holmes is from the Phoenix area, yes. Has been to U of A multiple times.

Nowell isn’t the athlete Rondae was.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FWIW Holmes may wait for the Spring to decide, so we may leave the fall with only two commits.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So it sounds like the expectations are that we should get 3 of the 4 kids you outlined with Dunn being the least likely. I like the Holmes kid. Looks long. Would fit the Miller system very well. Bummer he might wait but who could blame him
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

So Mashack is off the board, how far down the list are we now? That is at least 6 swings (Mashack, Silva, Watson, Hickman, Gregg [likely], Banchero [reach], Australian guys and the other guys with limited interest) and misses of various degrees and has me a little worried. I am sure we will get quality players at the end of the day based on history but I would think every spot down the list would be a slightly less favorable fit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:So Mashack is off the board, how far down the list are we now? That is at least 6 swings (Mashack, Silva, Watson, Hickman, Gregg [likely], Banchero [reach], Australian guys and the other guys with limited interest) and misses of various degrees and has me a little worried. I am sure we will get quality players at the end of the day based on history but I would think every spot down the list would be a slightly less favorable fit.
We’re going to land the wing we prioritized after Watson literally any day now. Silva and Mashack weren’t really swings and misses, since we didn’t swing much to begin with. Watson hurt and so does Gregg. The Aussie guys decided going pro was more worth their time and we didn’t invest a lot of time into those recruitments. We’ll walk out of the fall with two commits, prioritize an Arizona native in the Spring, and keep our options open in case of any unexpected defections.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Chances of landing Hardy? He has crystal ball picks for Kentucky. Says he’s mulling the g-league path as well.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:So Mashack is off the board, how far down the list are we now? That is at least 6 swings (Mashack, Silva, Watson, Hickman, Gregg [likely], Banchero [reach], Australian guys and the other guys with limited interest) and misses of various degrees and has me a little worried. I am sure we will get quality players at the end of the day based on history but I would think every spot down the list would be a slightly less favorable fit.
We’re going to land the wing we prioritized after Watson literally any day now. Silva and Mashack weren’t really swings and misses, since we didn’t swing much to begin with. Watson hurt and so does Gregg. The Aussie guys decided going pro was more worth their time and we didn’t invest a lot of time into those recruitments. We’ll walk out of the fall with two commits, prioritize an Arizona native in the Spring, and keep our options open in case of any unexpected defections.
Do you think Nowell has the size and athleticism to play on the wing?

Any thoughts on KJ Allen? Insurance losing Mathurin?
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I like what I've seen from the little tape I could find from KJ Allen. My biggest question is how many spots do we think will be open next year? Do we think Azuolas Tubelis will be a oad? Without him leaving I see probably 3 or 4 spots open as someone is always bound to rather leave early or transfer but if Tubelis leaves we'll have a lot of spots open I think. I guess we'll see
I said what I said and I mean it.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:I like what I've seen from the little tape I could find from KJ Allen. My biggest question is how many spots do we think will be open next year? Do we think Azuolas Tubelis will be a oad? Without him leaving I see probably 3 or 4 spots open as someone is always bound to rather leave early or transfer but if Tubelis leaves we'll have a lot of spots open I think. I guess we'll see
Lee Graduates
Terrell Brown Graduates
Tubelis seems to be projected as OAD
Tubelis does he hang if his brother goes?
Mathurin will have all the opportunity to showcase and blowup
Terry as well, although less likely
Baker could be in line to GT if his role is not what he wants
Also who the hell knows what kids might do

Seems unlikely more than 4 but see final line above.

KJ Simpson
Shane Nowell
DaRon Holmes (ideally)

If Mathurin is the 4th Scholarship, going to need an experienced ready wing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Chances of landing Hardy? He has crystal ball picks for Kentucky. Says he’s mulling the g-league path as well.
He’ll likely commit to UCLA and then end up going pro before ever reaching campus.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

By the wing do you mean the 3? He’s definitely going to play the 2/3 at Arizona. As far as Allen goes he’s pretty much an undersized 4, not sure that’s what you’d want.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

By the wing do you mean the 3? He’s definitely going to play the 2/3 at Arizona. As far as Allen goes he’s pretty much an undersized 4, not sure that’s what you’d want.
Thanks CCC. Yes just questioning Nowell playing the 3. Good to know on Allen. Hope there is an international 3 out there the staff is evaluating.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Thanks CCC. Yes just questioning Nowell playing the 3. Good to know on Allen. Hope there is an international 3 out there the staff is evaluating.
We are.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:This one?

https://twitter.com/mattgoazcats/status ... 40832?s=10" target="_blank
Yup.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Nathan Bittle just transferred to Prolific Prep. Mark Phelps was just hired as the head coach there yesterday. Choo, 2 questions. How is the relationship with Miller and Phelps? Does this help our chances in any way? Any feedback is appreciated.
Miller and Phelps are still more than cool. Nah, Phelps will have literally zero impact on a recruitment that’s literally about over.
So no chance on Bittle? He looks good.
Oregon.
He just made it official. Good call Choo.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Altman and Few have a nice little rivalry going.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Altman and Few have a nice little rivalry going.
Just to be clear Oregon landed Arizona’s top post priority and Gonzaga landed its second. On to #3!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Just to be clear Oregon landed Arizona’s top post priority and Gonzaga landed its second. On to #3!
Yeah. I'm not sure how Miller gets his recruiting mojo back in regions he's traditionally done well. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this turn to the international scene plays out. I think 6 of our 7 freshmen are from outside the U.S. And now we're courting this French player in the '21 class.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
So much for JeT bringing in PNW recruits.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
So much for JeT bringing in PNW recruits.
He’s about to land one literally any day now. He wasn’t involved with Bittle or Gregg either. He’s a Seattle guy not an entire PNW guy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Nowell kid is a Seattle/Terry recruit and he looks to be ours
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49 wrote:The Nowell kid is a Seattle/Terry recruit and he looks to be ours
Shane Nowell has the crystal ball at 100% Arizona. Let's hope he moves up in the rankings. His other top tier schools recruiting him are OK & UW.

Hopefully someone can find some better video of him

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Brandon Jennings?

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Sort of reminder where things are presently at with the program; that would not have happened 8 years ago.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dmjcat wrote:
1 of those schools does not look like the others...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Actual has other decent offers too. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -interests" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Justin Gainey connection there for Marquette. Cal and Dayton have immediate PT. I doubt we lose him to any of those schools, but I’ve seen weirder recruitments.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So are we thinking we end up with Simpson, Nowell, Holmes, and Traoré?

Would mean we lose both seniors and then 2 transfers or early departures for the pros?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:So are we thinking we end up with Simpson, Nowell, Holmes, and Traoré?

Would mean we lose both seniors and then 2 transfers or early departures for the pros?
Simpson, Nowell, and Holmes. My guess is if another spot opens we fill it with a transfer.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:So are we thinking we end up with Simpson, Nowell, Holmes, and Traoré?

Simpson, Nowell, and Holmes. My guess is if another spot opens we fill it with a transfer.
Thanks Choo! Appreciate you as always Sir.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Sort of reminder where things are presently at with the program; that would not have happened 8 years ago.
True, but I also don't think our recruiting strategy is the same as 8 years ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UNC
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
True, but I also don't think our recruiting strategy is the same as 8 years ago.
2020 and 2021 have been much heavier on development. Whatever's driving it, we're getting guys who should be 3-4 year players. We have to hope they stay like that.

Terry, Mathurin and Nowell could be formidable on the wing by the time Terry and Mathurin are juniors. I hope we have the patience to see if Miller's recruiting shift pays those sort of dividends.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Caleb Houstan announces his commitment the 7th. Any chances there?
I said what I said and I mean it.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Caleb Houstan announces his commitment the 7th. Any chances there?
I think he’s only narrowing down to 4 teams. I doubt we’re in contention as he hasn’t really been mentioned much on here
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah we’re not involved here.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Top 30 guard Bryce McGowans decomitted from FSU. Borzello reporting we’ve reached out. There any connection there?