Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by BBQ wildcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:45 am Tommy won't be the guy very long if he rests on Miller's laurels. I don't think he will do that, I'm just saying Tucson loyalty to a basketball coach comes with standards that must meet and bear the burden of history. It gets tougher from here.
Exactly. I am impressed with Lloyd's coaching, after initially having been a huge skeptic. But it will be years 3 and 4 where we will really see how good he is after having all his own players.
Andre Iguodunkya

Post by Andre Iguodunkya »

I didn’t originally want Miller. Then I didn’t originally want Lloyd. Now I don’t know what I don’t want anymore.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Andre Iguodunkya wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:32 am I didn’t originally want Miller. Then I didn’t originally want Lloyd. Now I don’t know what I don’t want anymore.
I just want someone to love me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:35 am
Andre Iguodunkya wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:32 am I didn’t originally want Miller. Then I didn’t originally want Lloyd. Now I don’t know what I don’t want anymore.
I just want someone to love me.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:26 am
Tommy is dorky…but the man knows basketball!!!!!
Tommy is dorky and elfen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reminds me of David Keith.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:35 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:26 am
Tommy is dorky…but the man knows basketball!!!!!
Tommy is dorky and elfen.
If a nice guy is gonna kick your ass it's best to opt for a dorky, elfen ass-kicker.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Live look in on Ricky Bobby's office:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I think Tommy will succeed at Arizona. This year's team might have been mostly Miller's guys, but it's made up of players similar to what Gonzaga has every year. Overseas projects like Koloko and Ballo, Euros who can shoot, like Kerr and Tubelis, and athletic wings like Mathurin and Terry. Play press defense, get in passing lanes, and allow the rim protectors to cover any defensive mistakes. Then run and try for easy buckets on the other end is a great formula. Especially when you have great rim protectors like Koloko, guys who can pass like Kerr and Terry, and finishers like Mathurin. Who wouldn't want to play in this system?

Throw in full crowds at McKale, and the Arizona Basketball brand, and it's a good recipe for success.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:46 am Reminds me of David Keith.
For a second there I thought you meant Keith David.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Lloyd has been helped tremendously by the defensive and rebounding philosophies instilled and taught by Sean Miller.

its like the players went to a one to two year boot camp for toughness and defense and now get to graduate to McKale Center floor and be rewarded under the lights in front of 14,000 adoring fans by playing in a free flowing and fun and care-free environment with a easy(ier) going head coach.

will be interesting to see if this can be a foundation for the players of the future, or if there will be a downward tick in the toughness factor (which was proven to me over and over again on Saturday at Illinois) in the coming seasons when Lloyd gets his own guys.

beyond being skillful and smart, this team is as tough as a bag of rusty nails...and still pissed off at their own school for the self-sanctions and are all playing like it has something to prove.

thx, Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm Lloyd has been helped tremendously by the defensive and rebounding philosophies instilled and taught by Sean Miller.

its like the players went to a one to two year boot camp for toughness and defense and now get to graduate to McKale Center floor and be rewarded under the lights in front of 14,000 adoring fans by playing in a free flowing and fun and care-free environment with a easy(ier) going head coach.

will be interesting to see if this can be a foundation for the players of the future, or if there will be a downward tick in the toughness factor (which was proven to me over and over again on Saturday at Illinois) in the coming seasons when Lloyd gets his own guys.

beyond being skillful and smart, this team is as tough as a bag of rusty nails...and still pissed off at their own school for the self-sanctions and are all playing like it has something to prove.

thx, Sean Miller
This is it.

Can you be a consultant for the coaching staff?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am not corned about Tommy as a recruiter, mainly because he already is a good recruiter, especially internationally. Plus he has good recruiters on his staff in Fois and Murphy. Don’t know that much about Robinson. His players are having fun, and play an open style of basketball. Finally, look at the development of his players. Kriisa learned how to shoot a floater, Koloko, Terry, and Mathurin.

If CTL keeps this up he will be a prime candidate for “Coach of the Year”. I am curious about the last time a rookie coach received Coach of the Year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:44 pm Lloyd has been helped tremendously by the defensive and rebounding philosophies instilled and taught by Sean Miller.

thx, Sean Miller
Nice post. Miller deserves a lot of gratitude because he left the players and program in a position to succeed (despite a distinct lack of admin support).

Lloyd has taken that setup and converted it like Aaron Gordon getting a lob. It's hard to doubt Lloyd can take good players to a good place. The part we don't know is if he can lay the foundation like Miller, but we'll find out.
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You guys are all nailing it when it comes to where we are as a program right now as of today.

And I have to admit I am fucking pumped even though the future has some unknowns like waiting to see how Tommy Man recruits and the pending IARP decision. But god, just thinking about where we were when those 2 dipshits fired CSM and what was going to happen to our beloved program to where we are now...the word giddy does not do justice to how I'm feeling at the moment.

Go Cats!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Five College Hoops Coaches Exceeding Expectations in Year 1

Whether or not they were facing a major rebuild, these men’s programs are all overachieving so far in 2021–22.

Tommy Lloyd, Arizona

The Arizona job was too good to pass up for Lloyd, who had turned down opportunities across the country in the past in favor of staying at Gonzaga under Mark Few. So far, that long education under Few looks like it has paid off. The Wildcats have looked like the best team in the Pac-12 thus far and were incredibly impressive Saturday in a huge road win over Illinois.

Now, it should be noted that Lloyd inherited a far better situation than the others on this list did. All five starters from the team’s win over Illinois played first under Sean Miller, including a pair of clear NBA talents in Bennedict Mathurin and Christian Koloko along with a high-level college PF in Azuolas Tubelis. But player retention is half the battle in the transfer portal age, and Lloyd deserves credit for keeping all this talent in Tucson. Plus, he’s overseen huge strides in the development of Koloko and point guard Kerr Kriisa, who was huge in the second half against the Illini.

The Gonzaga influence is obvious in Lloyd’s X’s and O’s on both ends of the floor. Combine that high-level tactical ability with the elite talent the Wildcats have, and there’s a reason Arizona, at 9–0, is so tough to beat.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/12/13/f ... haka-smart
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:55 pm
Lloyd has taken that setup and converted it like Aaron Gordon getting a lob.
all i can see in my minds eye is Aaron Gordon flying threw the air against Gonzaga in the 2014 Tournament hammering an ally-oop on the break as Arizona smashed the Zags and ran them off the floor in an absolute bludgeoning while Lloyd had the best seats in the house - so we know he knows how that feels, hes just now on the other side. the right side.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:58 pm
all i can see in my minds eye is Aaron Gordon flying threw the air against Gonzaga in the 2014 Tournament hammering an ally-oop on the break as Arizona smashed the Zags and ran them off the floor in an absolute bludgeoning while Lloyd had the best seats in the house - so we know he knows how that feels, hes just now on the other side. the right side.
You're getting me pretty pumped to play Gonzaga, 97! Would be amazing to be seeded in their region in March.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:19 pm
You're getting me pretty pumped to play Gonzaga, 97! Would be amazing to be seeded in their region in March.
I'd rather see that game in the Final 4
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona and Gonzaga are on a collision course to both be seeded in the WEST Region - its already been made so
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:30 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:19 pm
I'd rather see that game in the Final 4
Can you imagine? My Dad asked me if a coach had ever won a national title in his first year as a head coach. Tubby won with UK, but he'd already coached at Tulsa and Georgia. So I remain unsure on this question.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:34 pm Arizona and Gonzaga are on a collision course to both be seeded in the WEST Region - its already been made so
Yeah, if Gonzaga, UCLA, and UA are the three best teams in the west, UCLA will get shipped to another region. Only way I see that going differently is if the Bruins are the #1 overall seed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:38 pm
97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:34 pm Arizona and Gonzaga are on a collision course to both be seeded in the WEST Region - its already been made so
Yeah, if Gonzaga, UCLA, and UA are the three best teams in the west, UCLA will get shipped to another region. Only way I see that going differently is if the Bruins are the #1 overall seed.
UCLA is only getting shipped to another region if we beat them at least once. You can't tell me we could lose twice to them and stay in the west.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Took Ollie 2 years since UConn was ineligible his first year.

The only answer: Steve Fisher after Bill Frieder left for ASU.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Best basketball game I ever saw was the Lute Walton led game over Gonzaga in 2003.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:48 pm

Best basketball game I ever saw was the Lute Walton led game over Gonzaga in 2003.
classic, Merk - instant classic
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:46 pm Took Ollie 2 years since UConn was ineligible his first year.

The only answer: Steve Fisher after Bill Frieder left for ASU.
Thanks, Merk! Wow, Fisher.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Was that the Blake Steppe Zaga team?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Was that the triple OT game or something like that?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yes

in 2014 Arizona won by 23 points in the second round of the NCAA's
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Tommy's second radio show starting on Varsity Network.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:57 pm
Going to need to watch this later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec5O_UotklY
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Two things that really stand out for Arizona and why their progress is remarkable:

1. Lloyd inherited an extremely young team. Per KenPom, Arizona ranks 355th out of 358 teams in experience, the lowest among all major conference teams.

2, The Wildcats lost four of their six leading scorers.

Now that reminds me of the year we had Jason Garner and Gill come in. The year before the big names had left. It was also the first time in a number of years that the Wildcats were not in the top 25 initial ranking. They were there two weeks later and never left. Great memories of Lute and the guys.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

That was the best game I ever saw also. Player's just exhausted. Luke Walton just collapsed.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sorry if someone said it and I missed it, but Tommy just said it was Benn who outed the 5 second call to the ref. Fucking cool. Dude is hot as hell and never sweats and has the skycam on as well.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That was a great game but the best game I saw live was UCLA/Dayton in McKale, 1974 I think. Bill Walton, Jamaal Wilkes. Just an insane game and I was like 13 or something. I was hooked on basketball for ever after that game
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Question to Tommy from the audience: With such an international team, can the players badmouth (in a foreign language) the refs and get away with it?

Yep, and the coach too.

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:22 pm Sorry if someone said it and I missed it, but Tommy just said it was Benn who outed the 5 second call to the ref. Fucking cool. Dude is hot as hell and never sweats and has the skycam on as well.
if you re-watch as i have several times, off the inbounds Mathurin gets up on point and the ref starts the count - sometimes the ref wont, but in this case he did and Benn saw it and inched closer as the count got to three and then four holding his hand in the center region of Plummer's (might of been Frazier's) body making sure to maintain contact and when the ref started to motion his arm for the five count he looked right at him and called for it and the ref immediately blew the whistle as his arm pumped to five.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:22 pm Sorry if someone said it and I missed it, but Tommy just said it was Benn who outed the 5 second call to the ref. Fucking cool. Dude is hot as hell and never sweats and has the skycam on as well.
if you re-watch as i have several times, off the inbounds Mathurin gets up on point and the ref starts the count - sometimes the ref wont, but in this case he did and Benn saw it and inched closer as the count got to three and then four holding his hand in the center region of Plummer's (might of been Frazier's) body making sure to maintain contact and when the ref started to motion his arm for the five count he looked right at him and called for it and the ref immediately blew the whistle as his arm pumped to five.
I rewatched it once but didn't zero in on Benn.

~ Wilhoit's Law
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://twitter.com/nacolosimo2/status/ ... 06304?s=21

Some neat highlights in three minutes. Right st the end they have a tight view of Benn on Plummer with the ref counting
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I can't remember the last time I saw 5 seconds whistled. That was awesome, so glad we have Benn and this team as a whole, can't ask for much more.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I guess knowing the rules in crucial moments is a bonus
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:06 am I can't remember the last time I saw 5 seconds whistled. That was awesome, so glad we have Benn and this team as a whole, can't ask for much more.
All he had to do was start dribbling. That’s why you never see that call.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:36 am
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:06 am I can't remember the last time I saw 5 seconds whistled. That was awesome, so glad we have Benn and this team as a whole, can't ask for much more.
All he had to do was start dribbling. That’s why you never see that call.
Yes, that was 100% self inflicted. Either dribble or jab to back Mathurin off a little and no call. Kudos to Mathurin for staying engaged, but 5 seconds is pretty easy to avoid.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Remember when Michael Wright was called for taking too long to shoot a FT during a critical game with UCLA?

Looked like Cockburn took around the same around the time to get a FT off. But if they weren't going to call an offensive foul on him for pushing around Koloko, they certainly wouldn't call that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 am Remember when Michael Wright was called for taking too long to shoot a FT during a critical game with UCLA?
I actually don't remember that. Sounds like possibly a bs call. I remember MW had kind of a set, jerky form on his FT, but it never seemed to take long enough to draw a violation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:02 pm
Alieberman wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:57 pm
Going to need to watch this later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec5O_UotklY
Rewatched it last night. Wow. So many clutch moments by our guys. JG and Luke, in particular. And if you watch closely, you can occasionally see a very young Tommy Lloyd on that Zaga bench!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 am Looked like Cockburn took around the same around the time to get a FT off. But if they weren't going to call an offensive foul on him for pushing around Koloko, they certainly wouldn't call that.
That's why when I see people saying Illinois fans were complaining, I don't get it. Aside from just homerism, the refs let them play for most of the game. Cockburn dropped his shoulder and knocked Koloko back a lot.

The overall #'s weren't particularly odd either. We had more fouls but more FT's.