The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Postmaster »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:I am nearly positive we have run the buckeye call, cant remember what Miller calls it now, as the first set of each half the last 6-7 years, if not since he got here. Watch our opening possession against Gonzaga closely and you'll see it. It became popular because we used to hit Nick on a lob out of that call once a week.
At a bare minimum, we regularly use the PG passing to a wing, then getting back screened by a big with a lob option.

I remember laughing at that when we had TJ initiate that set at PG. He actually got open for a lob a few times and it cracked me up that we were hitting TJ McConnell for an oop.
I did the same. It was funny, because as you mention, we would sometimes just run the back screen lob and thats it for Nick. When they would do the same for TJ, and the set ended or he looped back around to get into motion, it was hard not to laugh.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that with PJC a few times. It was pretty funny.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

gonzaga game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Zeke needs to be better passing out of the double. Nico needs to better driving. Baker and Chase just need to be better. Stone needs to get back.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Just got back to the hotel after that stinker of a game. Thoughts:

1) Nico did stink it up but he had plenty of company. One thing I have noted (during tonights game and the Baylor game) is that Nico appears to be bothered by long athletic guards. He needs to work his way through this.

2) We should have been pressing with 5 minutes left in the game.....not starting at the 1:25 mark

3) Our defense was actually the best I have seen this year.......but we didn't play a complete game and broke down badly several times in the 2nd half.

4) Hazzard should have gotten way more play

5) We missed Pothead Devonaire tonight

6) Miller is still running the same mid-80's mid-major offense he came to Tucson with. His offense places little pressure on defenses and doesn't allow the talent he has to fully shine. I keep praying that he will throw on a tape of either Altmans offense (or Fews offense) and have an Ah-Ha moment.......but I have pretty much lost faith that will ever happen

7) The effect of the NCAA mess/injuries/one and dones has caught up with the Wildcats. We really only have 3 talented players (the three frosh). The other 2 starters include a senior with little mobility or explosiveness (Jeter) and another guy that resembles a RRod walk on (Dylan Smith)

8) At this point if I were to hazard a guess I would say that the UA is a 3rd/4th place team in the PAC12 (at best), out in the Semifinals of the PAC12 tourney, and bounced out of the NCAA in the 2nd round.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

It would appear to me the Pac 12 Basketball Champion has already been crowned. With wins over Washington, Oregon, and Arizona, Gonzaga has earned it as far as I'm concerned. Really doesn't speak too highly for the conference when your 3 best teams lose to the same team from what's basically a mid-major conference. Two of those wins were at Washington and last nights debacle at McKale. I'll give Oregon the most credit since they've played a brutal schedule including an overtime win on the road at Michigan yesterday. Altman is a master at doing more with less. The complete opposite applies to Miller.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Altman is a master at doing more with less. The complete opposite applies to Miller.
Except Altman doesn't really have less.
Captain Obvious

ChooChooCat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote: Altman is a master at doing more with less. The complete opposite applies to Miller.
I agree with you actually and it proves Altman is a better coach and a better recruiter than Miller.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I agree with you actually and it proves Altman is a better coach and a better recruiter than Miller.
I'd argue smarter recruiter.
Captain Obvious

ChooChooCat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Good point. Smarter coach as well.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Petrusev and the Zags started slipping ball screens like crazy in the second half, which in turn really spread us out. They either got a dunk, wide open 3, or a drive out of it. Miller's not going to get rid of the high hedge any time soon, so we either have to ICE more ball screens or dramatically improve our help defense. On offense, it would really help if Nnaji could develop a perimeter shot. Having two bigs clog the lane hurts spacing and our guards ability to drive. Miller has never run much high/low but if Nnaji proves he can hit from the outside maybe we can see more of it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Captain Obvious wrote:It would appear to me the Pac 12 Basketball Champion has already been crowned. With wins over Washington, Oregon, and Arizona, Gonzaga has earned it as far as I'm concerned. Really doesn't speak too highly for the conference when your 3 best teams lose to the same team from what's basically a mid-major conference. Two of those wins were at Washington and last nights debacle at McKale. I'll give Oregon the most credit since they've played a brutal schedule including an overtime win on the road at Michigan yesterday. Altman is a master at doing more with less. The complete opposite applies to Miller.
There can no longer be any doubt - Gonzaga, under Few, is now well-established as the best program in the West....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Two miracles 7 years ago today

https://twitter.com/i/status/1206389023297531905" target="_blank
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Captain Obvious wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Good point. Smarter coach as well.
Altmans teams are always dirty...they either play that way on the court or off the court...the nut doesn't fall far from the tree...just saying.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Altmans teams are always dirty...they either play that way on the court or off the court...the nut doesn't fall far from the tree...just saying.
Yeah, but they get the results don't they?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One big positive I took from Zaga was that Nnaji and Jeter combined for 26 and 23 vs Zaga's bigs getting 25 and 13.

Zaga gave us trouble going small, but the upside is we forced them into it with our post guys answering the bell. Jeter was especially good to see because he's struggled a bit so far.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Zaga gave us trouble going small, but the upside is we forced them into it with our post guys answering the bell. Jeter was especially good to see because he's struggled a bit so far.
Jeter is resilient, I'll give him that. But if I had a dollar for every time he got a shot blocked or a loose ball snagged away from him, I've have a pretty thick wad of cash. He's just not a very athletic or physically aggressive player.

Zeke, on the other hand...much more athletic and aggressive. He was the best player on the floor early in the Gonzaga game. I expect his confidence and skill will just keep improving throughout the season. We're lucky to have him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Zaga gave us trouble going small, but the upside is we forced them into it with our post guys answering the bell. Jeter was especially good to see because he's struggled a bit so far.
Jeter is resilient, I'll give him that. But if I had a dollar for every time he got a shot blocked or a loose ball snagged away from him, I've have a pretty thick wad of cash. He's just not a very athletic or physically aggressive player.

Zeke, on the other hand...much more athletic and aggressive. He was the best player on the floor early in the Gonzaga game. I expect his confidence and skill will just keep improving throughout the season. We're lucky to have him.
Dunno. Jeter was 5-8 with 0 to's and 2 assists. He isn't perfect, but that was a strong showing vs a 4/5 combo as good as there is in CBB.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Common theme: in just a dozen games, every starter has a brilliant games and a stinker or two. That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise as everyone is figuring themselves out and their teammates. Once everyone begins to build consistency, our overall play should improve.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Gettings clears concussion protocol.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... all-injury" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They go small to exploit Zeke on defense. Going to see a lot of that.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:Gettings clears concussion protocol.

Great news.

Stone may not be flashy or a future pro, but he contributes in important ways and extends our bench.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Great news.

Stone may not be flashy or a future pro, but he contributes in important ways and extends our bench.
He would have been helpful vs Gonzaga's small lineup.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Great news.

He would have been helpful vs Gonzaga's small lineup.
Yep like Miller said, when Gonzaga went small ball, and Miller had to counter, Miller said that his young players really didn't have the maturity to do well against the older Zags. Stone would have helped that quite a bit.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

st john's game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Out for St Johns

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We should be okay against St. John's without Stone. Get him some more rest/healing before Pac play starts.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

0-3 against real teams (and AZ was really noticeably outplayed in all three). Not the start one would hope for. Hopefully they build confidence and continue to develop as the season progresses. Wins over Oregon and USC become paramount.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

midnightx wrote:0-3 against real teams (and AZ was really noticeably outplayed in all three). Not the start one would hope for. Hopefully they build confidence and continue to develop as the season progresses. Wins over Oregon and USC become paramount.
Especially since the Gonzaga and St Johns games were blowouts until the final minute. Like Miller said after the Gonzaga game, it was really a 15 point loss. Didn't watch the post St Johns presser but I imagine he said the same thing.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Merkin wrote:
midnightx wrote:0-3 against real teams (and AZ was really noticeably outplayed in all three). Not the start one would hope for. Hopefully they build confidence and continue to develop as the season progresses. Wins over Oregon and USC become paramount.
Especially since the Gonzaga and St Johns games were blowouts until the final minute. Like Miller said after the Gonzaga game, it was really a 15 point loss. Didn't watch the post St Johns presser but I imagine he said the same thing.
Exactly. It isn't so much the loss that is concerning, it is that AZ was getting blown out by the three good teams it played. Even against Baylor AZ was consistently down 10. This team does not look like a title contender, and while there is a lot of basketball left to be played, unless a number of factors fall into place all at once (good draw, two key players get hot, three point shooting consistently, stifling defense, etc.), it is difficult to imagine this team making a deep run.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The only bright spot is, we are still undefeated with Stone.

Get well soon.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We're also undefeated when I wear the old beat-to-shit slippers my wife wants me to throw away. So, there's that.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

dovecanyoncat wrote:We're also undefeated when I wear the old beat-to-shit slippers my wife wants me to throw away. So, there's that.
So it's your fault for not wearing the slippers!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:We're also undefeated when I wear the old beat-to-shit slippers my wife wants me to throw away. So, there's that.
So it's your fault for not wearing the slippers!
I'm going to hell.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

The team, at least at this point, is much worse than I thought it would be. Shooting was supposed to be the real strength of the team this year, but it has been very erratic and downright horrible at times. And they just pretty much fall apart when playing away from home.

Without drastic improvement, I wouldn't bet on us cracking the top 3 in the conference this year. Will Gettings make that much of a difference? Baker was supposed to make a big difference, but he has been average. And Hazzard has not shown himself to be the sharpshooter he was billed to be.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

My expectations for the team have dropped off dramatically. I don't see the UA finishing higher than 4th, with a 7-9 seed in the NCAA tourney and a round of 32 exit.

The next game I have circled on my calendar is the OSU game in Corvallis. If the UA is going to make any sort of run in the conference they need to win all (or nearly all) of their home games and split on the road. If we lose to OSU (I don't see us beating the Ducks) then we probably end up fighting for a 5-7th place finish in the PAC12 and either a 10-12 seed first round NCAA loss or an NIT invite.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Before the season started I didn't let myself get too excited about this team. Returning one starter from probably the worst team in over 30 years is not a recipe for success. After the first few games of the season it looked like we had all the ingredients of a very good team (3pt shooting, great offense, great point guard, unbelievable big man that couldn't miss a shot, etc). I went all in on this team!
Now all of our weaknesses have been exposed (rebounding, a double team that has completely disrupted our offense, 3 starters that are below average defenders, unbelievable bad shooting against decent teams, etc).
The SJ's game was a ice cold bucket of reality.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like this is out of step with the board's opinion, but here goes.

I'm not freaking out. Our offense and defense are at levels that historically are good enough to be national championship contenders. Gonzaga and Baylor are legit top ten teams and have computer #'s at a very high level. SJU was the only truly disappointing game in OOC play. I know that last part won't be popular, but I think it's true.

Most of all, our issues are capable of being solved. We built an early deficit against SJU by comitting 8 early turnovers and missing shots. Zaga and Baylor were very largely on our shooting. Good teams don't have a magical force field around the rim that prevents shots from going in. Obviously, one bad night kills you in the tourney, but there's no immunity from that. We're #12 in AdjO nationally. I'd rather have a baseline of good production and worry about not having a bad night than be average and hoping to catch a heater tourney time.

Illinois is an underrated W and people forget that. Look, there is work to be done and growth is necessary, but we have our most talented players being 3 freshmen. I'm a long ways from cashing things in. We have a base to grow from and it's disappointing to see fans jumping ship.

Have a Happy Holidays!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel like this is out of step with the board's opinion, but here goes.

I'm not freaking out. Our offense and defense are at levels that historically are good enough to be national championship contenders. Gonzaga and Baylor are legit top ten teams and have computer #'s at a very high level. SJU was the only truly disappointing game in OOC play. I know that last part won't be popular, but I think it's true.

Most of all, our issues are capable of being solved. We built an early deficit against SJU by comitting 8 early turnovers and missing shots. Zaga and Baylor were very largely on our shooting. Good teams don't have a magical force field around the rim that prevents shots from going in. Obviously, one bad night kills you in the tourney, but there's no immunity from that. We're #12 in AdjO nationally. I'd rather have a baseline of good production and worry about not having a bad night than be average and hoping to catch a heater tourney time.

Illinois is an underrated W and people forget that. Look, there is work to be done and growth is necessary, but we have our most talented players being 3 freshmen. I'm a long ways from cashing things in. We have a base to grow from and it's disappointing to see fans jumping ship.

Have a Happy Holidays!
I agree with all of this.

Merry Christmas, Spiff and all?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel like this is out of step with the board's opinion, but here goes.

Have a Happy Holidays!
Great post.
Dave

Post by Dave »

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 54bc0.html" target="_blank

You can read this article in the Wildcaster app.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's not one thing that has led to Arizona underperforming in the three losses but a combination of many things that chip away at the team's ability to be successful:

Gettings' injury: while he's not a starter, Gettings' absence took away a key player with a unique and versatile role. He's without question our best perimeter shooting big man. His absence means that teams can more easily double Zeke in the post without worrying about a kick-out to the high post where Gettings can get an open jumper from the elbow or even the 3 point line. That shot is simply not in the arsenal of Jeter or Koloko.

Doutrive: before the suspension, my guess is that the expectations for Devonaire were for him to eventually replace Dylan Smith as a starter. Had Doutrive stayed on course and learned to play within the team concept and smart defense, he would've significantly reduced the minutes for Smith who has shown a penchant for high turnovers and bad shots. Doutrive was also very active on the glass. His absence is clear in our rebounding trouble.

Without Gettings and Doutrive, it makes the roles of guys like Jeter, Smith and the freshmen even tougher. The freshmen mistakes are more glaring because there isn't an open Gettings to get a good shot --- so we're taking bad, quick shots when Gettings could be getting 6-7 quality shots. We're not getting a rebound when Doutrive would be there to get 2-3 offensive boards/game and 3-4 defensive boards/game. Those are lost possessions.

So the learning curve just got longer and steeper because of Doutrive and Gettings. Over the next few weeks, Gettings should (hopefully) get back in his role but it will likely take time. We're not getting Doutrive back but it should be clear to Miller that giving Smith 20+ minutes per game is not good for the team. He can still play an important role in the 10-12 minutes/game scenario as long as he understands he should only take open shots later in the shot clock after the offense has had a chance to get the opposing defense moving and out of position. And Smith should not be trying to do too much off the dribble as he's prone to turnovers. It's up to Baker to step up and be the guy we expect after a redshirt season and a freshman year at Kentucky. Getting' presence should also help reduce minutes for Smith.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Have a Happy Holidays!
All of this is spot on
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

No other thread for this but Terry Armstrong has not scored in the NBL. Last guy off the bench and only when they're up big. He's only logged mins in 3 games

https://nbl.com.au/player/113805/128871 ... -armstrong" target="_blank
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Jefe wrote:No other thread for this but Terry Armstrong has not scored in the NBL. Last guy off the bench and only when they're up big. He's only logged mins in 3 games

https://nbl.com.au/player/113805/128871 ... -armstrong" target="_blank
It's sad and amazing the shitty advice these kids get.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Crazy. I’d almost forgotten about Armstrong. It’s weird how we can’t just have one damn season without getting derailed by an injury, early departure, transfer, decommitment, or other unforeseeable circumstance. I’m sure other programs go through this too, but it feels like it happens to us A LOT.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

I am looking at this season as we have not played well consistently, but who has? It is kind of a weak year for college basketball with no dominant teams that we cant beat. The tournament will be won by a team that has some talent but gets hot for a six game run. We need to get in and anything can happen. I am really looking forward to this years tournament because I think we will see some things we have never seen before. Buckle up, it will be a fun few months for college basketball. Let's flip over to the new year and see what happens.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone see the Wilmer article?

D will pac12 player of the decade, Altman the coach.

Can’t argue with his analysis.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Have a Happy Holidays!
Would say I'm not far off from this. I'm more disappointed that we've allowed our shooting, or wild shot selection and lack of will to score the ball in the paint, to dictate our losses so heavily.

I believe in our offense, but these past few games have been somewhat eye-opening. Still plenty of time to get everything right, but it's just odd as this doesn't feel like a Sean Miller team. Maybe that isn't a bad thing, but the lack of rebounding, defensive miscues, and inefficiency have thrown me for a loop. Part of the reason I've stayed a bit quiet so far. It's hard to get an accurate read on this team, but conference play will provide better context.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier