Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by TheCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:45 pm I can’t fathom how Tommy is not coach of the year at this point. When he wins the pac and gets a one seed it should be unanimous.

If he goes undefeated to end the regular season, and if Arizona enters the tourney with 2 losses, they should draw plans for a second statue outside of McKale.

There isn’t a single media member who thought this could have been done year 1. Not a single person.
Well lets not give media members prognostics any credibility. They did pick us tied for fourth with Oregon State. I heard an interview before the season and you know who said he thought Ariz would be real good....Mic Cronin.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:45 pm I can’t fathom how Tommy is not coach of the year at this point. When he wins the pac and gets a one seed it should be unanimous.

If he goes undefeated to end the regular season, and if Arizona enters the tourney with 2 losses, they should draw plans for a second statue outside of McKale.

There isn’t a single media member who thought this could have been done year 1. Not a single person.
so ive grappled with this and mentioned it a few times several weeks ago (saying if he does it he really can walk on water) thinking it wasnt even a remote possibility of winning out but now, as the season has worn on, it is plausible and not that far fetched at all to think Tommy 'Genius Boy' Lloyd could win out the next eleven games, capturing Arizona's second National Championship with a 37-2 record.

if he does, i hate to say it, but the NBA and its dump-trucks of money will start backing up filled with riches beyond his wildest dreams.

EDIT : 37-2 i left out conf tournament - 5 regular season games, 2 conf tournament, 6 NCAA Tournament games = 13 games left
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:42 pm

so ive grappled with this and mentioned it a few times several weeks ago (saying if he does it he really can walk on water) thinking it wasnt even a remote possibility of winning out but now, as the season has worn on, it is plausible and not that far fetched at all to think Tommy 'Genius Boy' Lloyd could win out the next eleven games, capturing Arizona's second National Championship with a 35-2 record.

if he does, i hate to say it, but the NBA and its dump-trucks of money will start backing up filled with riches beyond his wildest dreams.

Don't worry, the UofA President will get involved!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

so ive grappled with this and mentioned it a few times several weeks ago (saying if he does it he really can walk on water) thinking it wasnt even a remote possibility of winning out but now, as the season has worn on, it is plausible and not that far fetched at all to think Tommy 'Genius Boy' Lloyd could win out the next eleven games, capturing Arizona's second National Championship with a 35-2 record.

Currently have won 8 in a row so that would 18 in a row.

I don't see it happening. We need to lose in the conference tournament!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:57 pm

Currently have won 8 in a row so that would 18 in a row.

I don't see it happening. We need to lose in the conference tournament!
yes i know and its why i have thought its preposterous you are so right...but it would be 37-2 WTF :lol:

and 21 games in a row to win it all
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Guys...I love, love this team. We are not winning out. I expect one more reg season loss, and a loss in the Pac tourney wouldn't surprise me. That leaves us with only 4 losses heading into Selection Sunday and a strong likelihood of being a #1 seed. That's what I'm keeping an eye on.

If we drop one this week, the reactions are going to be annoying af.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:00 pm yes i know and its why i have thought its preposterous you are so right...but it would be 37-2 WTF :lol:

Are you concerned we haven't had a BAD loss yet? A bad loss meaning like losing to a team like Stanford or Washington, a game where just nothing goes right. Pretty much every top team except for Gonzaga has had them and gotten them out of the way.

On one hand this should give us confidence that this team is different and won't lose a bad game. On the other though, it could be coming eventually and it could happen in the tournament in an upset.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

so ive grappled with this and mentioned it a few times several weeks ago (saying if he does it he really can walk on water) thinking it wasnt even a remote possibility of winning out but now, as the season has worn on, it is plausible and not that far fetched at all to think Tommy 'Genius Boy' Lloyd could win out the next eleven games, capturing Arizona's second National Championship with a 37-2 record.

EDIT : 37-2 i left out conf tournament - 5 regular season games, 2 conf tournament, 6 NCAA Tournament games = 13 games left
I brought this up with my buddy from Spokane and he laughed it off and said Tommy is not going anywhere. He left a dream job for another, how much better could life be for a small town dude. He had one job outside of Spokane that he’d consider, and he got it in April.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:34 pm
97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:00 pm yes i know and its why i have thought its preposterous you are so right...but it would be 37-2 WTF :lol:

Are you concerned we haven't had a BAD loss yet? A bad loss meaning like losing to a team like Stanford or Washington, a game where just nothing goes right. Pretty much every top team except for Gonzaga has had them and gotten them out of the way.

On one hand this should give us confidence that this team is different and won't lose a bad game. On the other though, it could be coming eventually and it could happen in the tournament in an upset.
Nothing went right at ucla. I know that’s not what you mean, but that was an awful game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bilas alluded to Koloko being much happier this year and now Kier in today's presser said Benn's having much more fun and actually smiling this year. Hate to see Miller thrown under the bus but they aren't wrong that Lloyd is the happy go lucky leader that has changed it all
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Jefe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:52 pm Bilas alluded to Koloko being much happier this year and now Kier in today's presser said Benn's having much more fun and actually smiling this year. Hate to see Miller thrown under the bus but they aren't wrong that Lloyd is the happy go lucky leader that has changed it all
Winning, and not having your postseason cancelled has a weird effect of making happiness.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

There is no doubt this is Tommy's culture and brand.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 pm There is no doubt this is Tommy's culture and brand.
This is true but on the court this team is Kerr Kriisa personified.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jefe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:52 pm Bilas alluded to Koloko being much happier this year and now Kier in today's presser said Benn's having much more fun and actually smiling this year. Hate to see Miller thrown under the bus but they aren't wrong that Lloyd is the happy go lucky leader that has changed it all
he sure did - said that Koloko was responding to "love" and "encouragement" not being "yelled at" all the time has made a world of difference and hes playing better because of it.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:02 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 pm There is no doubt this is Tommy's culture and brand.
well Kriisa seems up and down to me high and low range of emotions and aloofness sometimes - i dont see this AZ team in that way.

curious
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

As Odogg alluded, Tommy is straightforward and uncomplicated. As someone who has lived in the Spokane world for a number of years I can say that it does not breed dissembling personas. We as fans may not have witnessed all that Tommy is, but he is not going to turn out other than how he represents himself. If he says that this is his dream job then he plans to die here as head coach.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:39 pm I brought this up with my buddy from Spokane and he laughed it off and said Tommy is not going anywhere. He left a dream job for another, how much better could life be for a small town dude. He had one job outside of Spokane that he’d consider, and he got it in April.
good stuff and im not saying he takes it, but rather people will come a callin. and like Rondae, i dont think it would be such a bad thing for AZ to drop one in the conf tournament here coming up in vegas.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i dont know my man part of me wants a toe stub in the conf tournament and part of me wants Tommy to do what no other first year coach has ever done in terms of winning percentage.

mans a basketball Genius
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Tommy's culture allows Kerr to be Kerr...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:10 pm

i dont know my man part of me wants a toe stub in the conf tournament and part of me wants Tommy to do what no other first year coach has ever done in terms of winning percentage.

mans a basketball Genius
Take me off the "lose one now... it will do us good" list

Let's fucking do this
97cats

Post by 97cats »

37-2 has a nice ring to it doesnt it, Ari :lol:
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:06 pm
well Kriisa seems up and down to me high and low range of emotions and aloofness sometimes - i dont see this AZ team in that way.

curious
I mean the swagger and showmanship and in your face theatrics etc, the team oozes Kerr all the way.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:17 pm I mean the swagger and showmanship and in your face theatrics etc, the team oozes Kerr all the way.
agree they do have some of that flava
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm 37-2 has a nice ring to it doesnt it, Ari :lol:
Not bad...
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm 37-2 has a nice ring to it doesnt it, Ari :lol:
Making #38 our second national championship!!!

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I just don’t think this team plans to lose anytime, anywhere. They don’t get rattled, they trust their teammates and coaches, they are genuinely happy to see their teammates do well and they are all fiercely competitive (in their own way) and hate to lose.

Plus, and this might sound sappy, they all love each other.

It’s hard not to be dangerously euphoric about what this team might accomplish.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Their are teams that can beat us but we wont beat ourselves and they will know they have been in a fight if they do win. My fear is some team just going off the hook in scoring and especially in shooting 3's. There are a few teams that can do that. I dare say that Wisc is one.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

TheCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm Their are teams that can beat us but we wont beat ourselves and they will know they have been in a fight if they do win. My fear is some team just going off the hook in scoring and especially in shooting 3's. There are a few teams that can do that. I dare say that Wisc is one.
I am the of the opposite feeling. This team can beat itself with the dreaded combination turnovers and missed FTS. That is my biggest fear with this team.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:46 pm
Yes the hard work is just enjoying the Cats for what they are rignt how :lol: :shock: :lol:
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Lute4God wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:46 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:46 pm
Yes the hard work is just enjoying the Cats for what they are rignt how :lol: :shock: :lol:
but in that they are so much more than we (at least i) anticipated right now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Going back to last spring, I always thought we'd be top 2 by late February and that there would be a Freedom Convoy in Canada.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:00 pm

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!
does AZ have a possible 13 or 14 games left? help me here...
five reg season left, two conf tourney(if necessary), six NCAA = 13?
37total possible with a win out?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:23 pm Going back to last spring, I always thought we'd be top 2 by late February and that there would be a Freedom Convoy in Canada.
well thank god your premonition was right on both
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don’t see Tommy as a NBA guy honestly. He’s definitely more of the guy that likes to teach kids how to play and enjoy the game. His approach to recruiting is also infinitely more garnered for a guy who is in it for the long haul with young players. Now that could change in another 10 years or so, but as of today I couldn’t see him leaving the college game.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Frybry02 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm Their are teams that can beat us but we wont beat ourselves and they will know they have been in a fight if they do win. My fear is some team just going off the hook in scoring and especially in shooting 3's. There are a few teams that can do that. I dare say that Wisc is one.
I am the of the opposite feeling. This team can beat itself with the dreaded combination turnovers and missed FTS. That is my biggest fear with this team.
Meh, it'll be almost all half court games and Arizona is top 6 in 2pt% on offense and defense. Plus half court games usually have less possessions = less turnovers
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 pm

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!
3 conference tourney games. The Cats will start in the quarterfinals.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 pm

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!
5 regular season games
3 possible PAC tourney games
6 possible NCAA games
97cats

Post by 97cats »

38-2!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:32 pm I don’t see Tommy as a NBA guy honestly. He’s definitely more of the guy that likes to teach kids how to play and enjoy the game. His approach to recruiting is also infinitely more garnered for a guy who is in it for the long haul with young players. Now that could change in another 10 years or so, but as of today I couldn’t see him leaving the college game.
im not sure it matters - its when the NBA sees you as an NBA guy that it all changes and all the sudden you become an NBA guy

dude is a genius, Choo

its fucking crazy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:56 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:32 pm I don’t see Tommy as a NBA guy honestly. He’s definitely more of the guy that likes to teach kids how to play and enjoy the game. His approach to recruiting is also infinitely more garnered for a guy who is in it for the long haul with young players. Now that could change in another 10 years or so, but as of today I couldn’t see him leaving the college game.
im not sure it matters - its when the NBA sees you as an NBA guy that it all changes and all the sudden you become an NBA guy

dude is a genius, Choo

its fucking crazy
I’m with you brother, but why hasn’t Mark Few left for the NBA? I’m sure teams have been very interested, but he’s never had the inclination to move because he’s not the NBA type. I view Tommy in the same vein. Like I said though I reserve my right to change this stance in 10 years or so! Lol
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:12 pm I’m with you brother, but why hasn’t Mark Few left for the NBA?
Few not a genius -

this only applies if he wins them all, just want to make sure we all remember that :lol:

but yes, Lloyd is a basketball savant
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

At Gonzaga, Few is a king, in the NBA, Few is just another guy with a DUI.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Honestly, my ultimate hope is that Arizona ends the college basketball post-season with a minimum of a 6-game winning streak - the final W/L totals are irrelevant, for me, beyond that!!!

Just like '97!!

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Ed Cooley is going to win national coach of the year if they keep pulling Ws out of their asses
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:32 am Ed Cooley is going to win national coach of the year if they keep pulling Ws out of their asses
He can have coach of the year. Tommy wants a natty.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

They may pair us up in the tourney and let that decide.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:31 am They may pair us up in the tourney and let that decide.
They were only paired when Providence was slotted as a #4 seed but it's hard to see how they're not in contention for a #2 seed or #3 seed at worst.

They got a couple game lead on Villanova, and control their own destiny.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:17 am
TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:31 am They may pair us up in the tourney and let that decide.
They were only paired when Providence was slotted as a #4 seed but it's hard to see how they're not in contention for a #2 seed or #3 seed at worst.

They got a couple game lead on Villanova, and control their own destiny.
Providence was #15 (closer to a 5 seed than a 3 seed) in the Committee reveal. They need some help to move up
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:32 am Ed Cooley is going to win national coach of the year if they keep pulling Ws out of their asses
Most experienced tournament team in the country - not sure Cooley should get the credit he's getting here.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

If providence were to play us in the tourney and let us stay in the game like they have been everyone else, they have a prayer.

Our spurtability is second to none.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.