Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:Bill Walton is not the problem, it's the counterpart. Bill is fine with Roxy or others, not nearly the schtick that the sideshow Pasch has become.
And Pasch is a phenomenal play-by-play guy without Bill - I've heard him do other games including college football and NBA games.

I can't stand the whole picture-in-picture where ESPN focuses on Bill over the basketball being played, so I'm putting the majority of the blame on Bill being in attendance. But if all it takes is separating these two to get the best out of each then please by all means.

I don't give a shit about Pasch's faith or Bill's love of solar. I'm here for the basketball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Bill Walton is not the problem, it's the counterpart. Bill is fine with Roxy or others, not nearly the schtick that the sideshow Pasch has become.
And Pasch is a phenomenal play-by-play guy without Bill - I've heard him do other games including college football and NBA games.

I can't stand the whole picture-in-picture where ESPN focuses on Bill over the basketball being played, so I'm putting the majority of the blame on Bill being in attendance. But if all it takes is separating these two to get the best out of each then please by all means.

I don't give a shit about Pasch's faith or Bill's love of solar. I'm here for the basketball.
ESPN wants "personalities" on everything. Someone thinks that them together is awesome, and it isn't anyone watching the broadcast.

But guys, it would be sooooooo much worse...thank whatever deity you believe in that Dakich isn't doing games.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:But guys, it would be sooooooo much worse...thank whatever deity you believe in that Dakich isn't doing games.
To the old gods (not older than 6,000 years) and the new (shout out solar).
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Who know who loves this thread. ESPN
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:Who know who loves this thread. ESPN
This thread provides zero advertising revenue or viewership. So “love” is probably the wrong word.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I get frustrated by the split screen thing but that duo is my favorite, it's like if me and my buddy open a bait shop when we are 65, it will be like that, and people will shop for flies and some will enjoy our antics others will tolerate us.... it's early, my analogy is poorly worded but anyway. Funny
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love Bill in games vs teams like Oregon St and Washington St, but hate him in games vs UCLA or any other highly competitive game
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Did you stick around for Bill's interview (of sorts) with Kenny Mayne, though? That was pure gold. I can only imagine Bill Murray being better at it. It was beautiful, and perhaps some of it was the post-win glow, but I knew we were winning for a while. That interview had me in stitches, and sometimes it was rather poignant. Bill can pivot back to hoops whenever he wants, and his observations, when not tongue in cheek, are solid.

I dunno...I hate "ZY Banana, look at the 2 gap, jargon, jargon" analysts. MFer, I can see it. It is on TV. If the viewer cares, they see it. Show something subtle a team did, or a change up and roll back against a prior possession...analyze. But don't squeeze the life out of the game and turn it to algebra. First of all, the idea that you have to have played the game to properly analyze is horseshit. Most professional athletes, especially football, have been on one side of the ball, and mostly in positional work, and have that X/O knowledge, but zero observational ability. The best analysts observe the entire human circus of sport and find the areas that need talk. Howard Cosell called the Jock in Booth craze "The Jockocracy". I agree with him. Bill tries to make that Jock Seat one of fun and frivolity and humor. Most of the time, if a game is tight, or a possession important, he reigns in.

I do prefer him with Ted Robinson or even Roxy, as he respects the hell out of the former and probably doesn't feel the latter can withstand the onslaught as well as Pasch. But I love me some Bill. He adds color to an increasingly boring and parity-filled college hoops landscape.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:I love Bill in games vs teams like Oregon St and Washington St, but hate him in games vs UCLA or any other highly competitive game
That's about where I'm at and that's why I'll mute Walton in a big game. He'll punch up a bad game, but I don't really need it in a close, competitive game.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A solution would be for the broadcaster to flash text on the screen to announce calls on the floor. Bill often doesn't address what just happened. Is it a foul? On whom? If we were at the game, we'd hear the announcement. If Pasch could call the game and Bill commented on the game, we'd know the call.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:A solution would be for the broadcaster to flash text on the screen to announce calls on the floor. Bill often doesn't address what just happened. Is it a foul? On whom? If we were at the game, we'd hear the announcement. If Pasch could call the game and Bill commented on the game, we'd know the call.
If you encourage broadcasters to flash things, Walton is going to get confused and do games pantsless.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Can’t stand the personality, over-hype machine that Bill and Dave have become (following in Vitale’s footsteps, of course) on the “World Wide Leader.” I actually like Bill when paired with Roxy. It seems to me that Roxy is willing to put up with Bill being Bill, and will even play along, but can reign him in deftly when it comes time to get back to the game. His Bill management is often something to behold.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Siempre Verde wrote:Can’t stand the personality, over-hype machine that Bill and Dave have become (following in Vitale’s footsteps, of course) on the “World Wide Leader.” I actually like Bill when paired with Roxy. It seems to me that Roxy is willing to put up with Bill being Bill, and will even play along, but can reign him in deftly when it comes time to get back to the game. His Bill management is often something to behold.
:lol:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Tom Crean is really really good
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Tom Crean is really really good
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Watching the ASU game with Pasch and Fran Fraschilla was incredible and a nice change from Walton....Watching Walton now in the UCLA game reminded me of just how horrible he is IMHO.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Dan hicks and bode miller are awful on olympic skiing.

And not even talking about them declaring a winner with 20 skiers still waiting their turns.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Postmaster wrote:Dan hicks and bode miller are awful on olympic skiing.

And not even talking about them declaring a winner with 20 skiers still waiting their turns.
Miller just was complaining about the line the Italian skier was taking... And she ended up putting up the fastest time :facemeetpalm:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Dan hicks and bode miller are awful on olympic skiing.

Miller just was complaining about the line the Italian skier was taking... And she ended up putting up the fastest time :facemeetpalm:
Well...because Bode would have gone outside the blue, around a tree, stopped to take a hit, started back up around the fence, and placed 2nd.

At least in his early days. Late Bode became a machine.

One of the things children robbed me of, other than sanity and savings, is being able to follow WC skiing closer. But I love them. I do. Almost every second of the day.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not impressed with lavin tonight, quiet, uninteresting, however easy to tune out.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jody seems to be enjoying himself.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wonder how much he'll be enjoying himself when he has to come up with pedestrian stories for a third rate BB program.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

From Conference of Champions to Conference of Cheaters?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuck You Dick Vitale
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bill Walton being personally offended and depressed by the allegations is peak Bill Walton.

How many shrooms is he going to need to get past this spiritually?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The hypocrisy is real
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Keep picking at that scab Dave Pasch. And don’t bother talking about what is a great game.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Chicat wrote:Keep picking at that scab Dave Pasch. And don’t bother talking about what is a great game.
I was going to kill pasch tonight! Holy hell!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I muted the commentary the last 8 minutes of the game. Pasch can go F off.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

WildcatStunner wrote:I muted the commentary the last 8 minutes of the game. Pasch can go F off.
I muted at 4 minutes into the first half. Checked back 3 minutes before halftime and re-muted immediately. Sound on at the beginning of the half but then turned it back off after a few minutes. Cycle repeated a couple times until I turned it off for good with seven minutes left.

It’s so weird watching a game in total silence. But infinitely better than hearing Pasch regurgitate a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors over and over and over and over again even though there was an actual game going on. If I was an Oregon fan, I’d be even more pissed.

Fuck ESPN.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’ll just leave this here cause December was so long ago and this scandal involved rape (yet again) and not players getting paid.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... estigation" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Doug Gottlieb and Gary Parish are fighting on Twitter about Pastner.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Charles is so fucking funny
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Booger McFarland and Jason Witten are fucking terrible.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:Booger McFarland and Jason Witten are fucking terrible.
Honestly I think Tess is bad too. But yeah those two guys are embarrassingly bad
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hmmmmm.... got DukieV on one channel and Dan Dickich on the other?

Guess I’m watching college football.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:Hmmmmm.... got DukieV on one channel and Dan Dickich on the other?

Mute button is helpful.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:
Chicat wrote:Hmmmmm.... got DukieV on one channel and Dan Dickich on the other?

Mute button is helpful.
Not watching hurts ESPN more.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

So the latest ESPN atrocity, I mean “innovation” is Jimmy Dykes (one of the biggest assholes in broadcasting) taking his pompous self onto the court during timeouts to instruct us on some incredibly salient point. And then refusing to leave the court until he finishes his commentary even though the players and refs are coming back onto the court to try to play a basketball game. I think it was Brandon Randolph giving him the side eye during one of our games and trying to process why this jerkoff was in the middle of the court while he’s trying to set up an inbounds play.

Does anybody remember a 100 years ago when NBC (I think) experimented with broadcasting NFL games without announcers? If only . . .
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Dykes ever tries to pull that crap in a Pac-12 game, I hope the refs inbound it and run right over him. He is the Craig James of college basketball.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ESPN + Dykes = Douche 3D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Walton doing any game is an awful thing for me to listen to.

Walton during a loss like last night makes me want to pierce my ear drums with a shard of broken glass.

Someone made the mistake quite some time ago of telling him that everyone loves his schtick. I hope that person gets a venereal disease that makes their dick turn blue and fall off.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Walton doing any game is an awful thing for me to listen to.

Walton during a loss like last night makes me want to pierce my ear drums with a shard of broken glass.

Someone made the mistake quite some time ago of telling him that everyone loves his schtick. I hope that person gets a venereal disease that makes their dick turn blue and fall off.
OTOH, imagine how Walton felt having to broadcast that crappola-fest last night....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:

OTOH, imagine how Walton felt having to broadcast that crappola-fest last night....
Do you honestly think Walton cares? How many times did he say he knew nothing about Baylor? He’s a parody of a joke at this point.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't think Walton even prepares in terms of basketball.

He mixed up a couple of Baylor players a couple of times, Vital and someone else.

My dad listens to the local Tucson radio broadcast while watching the UA games. He especially hates Lavin, not sure why. As a former coach, Lavin brings a lot of insight into the game that non players and former players may not have.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

Do you honestly think Walton cares? How many times did he say he knew nothing about Baylor? He’s a parody of a joke at this point.
In fact, I do think he “cares”. He’s well-known to be a perfectionist, and for having (impossibly) high standards for (his own, and others’) performance...

Last night’s game was a horrible performance throughout by both teams - “basketbawful” - and impossible to derive any enjoyment from, regardless of being invested in either team, or merely a college basketball fan. Both announcers had to fill the time with something- I doubt ANY announcer or commentator would have enjoyed that assignment....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Walton's awesome...I'll skip the in depth analysis on how bad we are
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Walton’s got one thing right and he says it repeatedly during UA games - it all comes down to offense, something Miller has never grasped in 10 years of his myopic emphasis on pack-line defense.Not even top recruits and #1 draft picks will get you anywhere in March with this awful system
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote:
Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:

In fact, I do think he “cares”. He’s well-known to be a perfectionist, and for having (impossibly) high standards for (his own, and others’) performance...
:lol:

Holy shit, thank you. I needed that.