Nico Mannion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:He had one play after the ten minute mark of the second half where he hit another gear to get past his defender and then finished with a nice layup at the rim where I thought, “Oh yeah, that’s what I came to see.”

You can tell he‘ll have more of those moments. It just won’t be consistent at first.
Love the pace that he can play at. Loved the variety of his offensive weapons - bounce passes, dump offs, alley oops, jumper, floater, layup... Offensively you can see how exceptional he can be, like a Trier + TJ combo. TBD on how soon he’ll meet that potential.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:Someone (not me) posted this on FB on University.

This should be shown to every cold weather recruit!

The Law of Unintended Consequences says it will just lead to Kansas coeds dying of exposure in January.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
Why does that guy have a plus sign in [ ] tattooed on his wrist? Is he trying to remind himself to be a positive person?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Nico's freshman season at AZ will most resemble:

(a) Bibby's freshman year
(b) Bayless' freshman year
(c) McConnell's junior year
(d) Gardner's freshman year
(e) none of the above (stupid quiz, BC)
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Nico's freshman season at AZ will most resemble:

I’ll go with c.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

All of the above
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statistically, Bibby. If tournament results match that, I'd be happy.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

(a) but without the steals.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Feels like his game is most reminiscent of TJ's, but he's bigger and more athletic.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

well - i opened this up earlier and was suprised ... plus #15

6 - Nico Mannion | Arizona | Fr | PG | 6-3, 180

Minnesota's glaring roster weakness right now is at point guard; conversely, its glaring roster strength right now is Karl-Anthony Towns. So to maximize Towns' potential, an upgrade at point guard is in order. Mannion may not be the immediate fix, but his scoring and passing could give the bench a desperately-needed boon.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... bleheader/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:well - i opened this up earlier and was suprised ... plus #15

6 - Nico Mannion | Arizona | Fr | PG | 6-3, 180

Minnesota's glaring roster weakness right now is at point guard; conversely, its glaring roster strength right now is Karl-Anthony Towns. So to maximize Towns' potential, an upgrade at point guard is in order. Mannion may not be the immediate fix, but his scoring and passing could give the bench a desperately-needed boon.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... bleheader/
It's possible that Nico is a year or two away from just unleashing his full potential/talent. You rarely see a guy's full ability at the college level, only hints. Maybe the pro game is better suited to Nico's up-tempo, open-court style.

Still, he's gonna have to show *some* kind of flashes of brilliance this year. As highly regarded as he is, he's still gotta earn that lottery spot. Let's revisit this in March.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
A good turnover is when you keep stepping down on the baseline over and over and over again. That’s a move I hope he develops.
for me this is second only behind dribbling off your foot out of bounds - now that’s a good turnover
Long-time fans simply call this kind of turnover the Shakur.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Feels like his game is most reminiscent of TJ's, but he's bigger and more athletic.
I don't think he's as good a defender as TJ, but a better shooter and penetrator. Bibby just seems like a better fit for him.

TJ was solid, but not the kind of guy who could really attack a D. Bibby could attack.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Feels like his game is most reminiscent of TJ's, but he's bigger and more athletic.
I don't think he's as good a defender as TJ, but a better shooter and penetrator. Bibby just seems like a better fit for him.

TJ was solid, but not the kind of guy who could really attack a D. Bibby could attack.
Yeah. I definitely can see that attack element in Nico's game, and I'm excited to see him get more comfortable within our offense. Once he's a little further along with anticipating other guys' cuts to the basket and where guys are on the break, he's going to really thrive. We have to keep in mind that he's still getting to know these teammates in game situations. Not the same as practice.

Man could Bibby slice and dice.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Built for big games
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He reminded me of Salim from three tonight.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

One thing I hope comes from Nico playing here is that high level pg's understand that you can play for Sean Miller and you will be given the keys to the offense. He has micro managed all our guards up to now because we haven't had any nba level guards play here in the Miller era
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

His control over the game made me almost as hard as enfuego gets when he watches dogs screw. I did say almost.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

that floater is wet

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Here's The Athletic's Sam Vecenie on Mannion's 2020 draft position:

11. Nico Mannion

6-3 guard, Pinnacle High School (Phoenix, AZ). Committed to Arizona

I’ll be honest: I wasn’t the biggest believer in Mannion prior to this month. It’s not that I thought he was a bad player or anything, I just wasn’t sure I saw the one-and-done potential that some did. And at McDonald’s, I thought it took him some time to figure out how to attack against length and elite athletes. But here’s the thing: Mannion is an incredibly smart player. So once he showed up to Hoop Summit about two weeks later, it was clear he had figured some things out. What followed in the practices and games was Mannion morphing into the week’s top performer, consistently playing with terrific pace and poise.

Unsurprisingly, Mannion’s skill level is incredibly high. He can hit shots from all three levels, and has a terrific in-between game. I worry about finishing at the basket for a player who isn’t quite as explosive as some other lead guards, but it’s possible that his floater game can help him make up for it. The real place where he excels is running the show as a point guard, though. He is a terrific passer who can drop dimes all over the floor to teammates for efficient shots. Arizona fans are going to love having him next season after the team’s offense plummeted toward the bottom of the Pac-12 this past season in large part due to a lack of cerebral point guard play. I now expect that Mannion will be a one-and-done.
The bolded...that's why I've been so hyped about Nico. He's always had the IQ and skills, and his body has grown to allow him to express them. He knows how to play the game and should be very easy to play with.
I know, I'm quoting myself, but I believe this more and more. He just is such a smart and mature player. It staggers me you can still see he isn't fully adapted to this level yet. When he is, watch out.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

My favorite part of the game was him shit talking the Illinois Guard while we were down like 7 points. Dude is not lacking confidence and that is a beautiful sight that we haven't seen since in recent pg's. This team really felt like it lost its edge and swagger after TJ left. Its back.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:My favorite part of the game was him shit talking the Illinois Guard while we were down like 7 points. Dude is not lacking confidence and that is a beautiful sight that we haven't seen since in recent pg's. This team really felt like it lost its edge and swagger after TJ left. Its back.
Nico is a massive shit talker and always has been. He loves to take it and dish it right back.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i cried last night, thats right, cried.

im not over it, still sad.

i may never get over it, i may never stop looking back

its just so depressing.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:My favorite part of the game was him shit talking the Illinois Guard while we were down like 7 points. Dude is not lacking confidence and that is a beautiful sight that we haven't seen since in recent pg's. This team really felt like it lost its edge and swagger after TJ left. Its back.
Nico is a massive shit talker and always has been. He loves to take it and dish it right back.
Dude thrives on the pressure. It's incredible to see.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:i cried last night, thats right, cried.

im not over it, still sad.

i may never get over it, i may never stop looking back

its just so depressing.
You sure called it. He's gonna score and score and score some more...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
That's the competitive spirit you like. Someone wants to go after you? Go after him harder.

We showed that across the board. Illinois played a very good first half. We kept fighting and when they cooled off in the second, we broke it open.

It's been a couple years since we had guys who wanted to fire back. At PG, it really has been since TJ. That's what I like about Nico and Green. Neither of them is ever looking to let up.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

The way he can see and manipulate the floor at such a young age is amazing. Great example was late in the game on that lob to Zeke.

Nico had been busting them with that floater from the elbow. Before he attacked, he pointed to Zeke basically saying be ready. drives left, draws Zeke's man out of position because of the threat of his floater and then lobs one at the rim for Zeke to slam home.

Miller hasn't had a player who can do that during his time in Tucson. He does now.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:The way he can see and manipulate the floor at such a young age is amazing. Great example was late in the game on that lob to Zeke.

Nico had been busting them with that floater from the elbow. Before the ball screen came, he pointed to Zeke basically saying be ready. He attacks off the screen, draws Zeke's man out of position because of the threat of his floater and then lobs one at the rim for Zeke to slam home.

Miller hasn't had a player who can do that during his time in Tucson. He does now.
We've had good scorers and good distributors. Now we have both in a single player.

One of the things that impresses me a lot about Nico is his ability to go back and forth between a scorer and distributor seamlessly. When Illinois made a mini run to cut to 11, he flipped the switch and hit a driving layup and floater to stop their momentum.

He's good at knowing what the moment calls for.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:The way he can see and manipulate the floor at such a young age is amazing. Great example was late in the game on that lob to Zeke.

Nico had been busting them with that floater from the elbow. Before the ball screen came, he pointed to Zeke basically saying be ready. He attacks off the screen, draws Zeke's man out of position because of the threat of his floater and then lobs one at the rim for Zeke to slam home.

We've had good scorers and good distributors. Now we have both in a single player.

One of the things that impresses me a lot about Nico is his ability to go back and forth between a scorer and distributor seamlessly. When Illinois made a mini run to cut to 11, he flipped the switch and hit a driving layup and floater to stop their momentum.

I said that I thought Nico could be a combo of Trier's scoring and TJ's passing... that's what I saw last night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I said that I thought Nico could be a combo of Trier's scoring and TJ's passing... that's what I saw last night.
I really do like the Bibby comparison. I could see him dicing up a press like Bibby did to Kentucky. Bibby was another who could do everything.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I saw that too and it was glorious
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah in overall game Bibby is a good comparison
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I've said it on TOS and in here all summer. Nico is the best freshman PG we've had since Bibby.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Two biggest trash talkers I have seen at AZ WERE kelvin Eafon and Reggie Geary and both were great leaders. One in football and the basketball. Their confidence was all encompassing. The other players were lifted. 12-1 in one sport and a FF in another. This year will be special
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cover boy!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

How can Nico be a surprise? 247 had him rated the 9th best prospect and their #1 point guard. This article just shows how biased ESPN is.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

in fairness, I read it as Arizona (not necessarily Mannion) is the biggest surprise so far.

f*ck ESPN anyway
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not really seeing how our being undefeated at this point is a big surprise. Zeke’s play and DD’s exit are the only surprises. If we make it to the start of Pac play without a loss, that too would be surprising.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not really seeing how our being undefeated at this point is a big surprise. Zeke’s play and DD’s exit are the only surprises. If we make it to the start of Pac play without a loss, that too would be surprising.
It shouldn't be a surprise since all we've played are cupcakes so far. Baylor and Gonzaga will determine whether we're for real or not. I believe we are and will only get better. One game at a time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On a scale from toilet to sewer, we’re still a stinking turd in a clogged toilet until we play Baylor and prove we should have self-banned from post-season this year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it’s the fashion in which Arizona won its first four games (specifically Illinois and NMST) that has been a surprise to many, not that they are 5-0 or the remainder of the schedule thus far.

again as well, in fairness, the article referenced was written before the uneven performance against NDST, so it was a take at 4-0.

long season to go including road tests which will tell much more about this bunch, but I understand why the piece from ESPN was written - the way in which Arizona has dominated early has been a surprise for me too.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not everyone at ESPN picked Arizona to beat NMSU.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup, it’s the Spanish soccer new media attitude, it’s not good enough to win, but you have to win with style/look good doing so.

Last time I felt this way was the year we were cruising to 40-0 until bash broke his foot against cal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: long season to go including road tests which will tell much more about this bunch, but I understand why the piece from ESPN was written - the way in which Arizona has dominated early has been a surprise for me too.
That's fair, 97. You're right: we ran Illinois out of the building, for instance. I thought we'd win but not by 21.

I think our blow-out victories give a glimpse of this team's potential. We're winning on sheer talent right now. Miller is still figuring out his rotations. Will Smith remain a big minute player? Will Koloko get more minutes? Baker or Hazzard as first guard off the bench? I hope that DD's departure clarifies some things and removes any tensions.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Oh this is cool
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don’t know why we let espn on campus
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don’t know why we let espn on campus
To improve our players’ draft stock/pro options.

They’re certainly not getting any help from the conference or the Pac-12 Network.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Would ESPIN dare to bring game day to McKale for the Zags game. Would that be fun or what
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:Would ESPIN dare to bring game day to McKale for the Zags game. Would that be fun or what
Sort of seems like ESPN crossed the Rubicon a long time ago on that one. I don't think they're ready for the requisite admissions and apologies in the coming weeks to make that kind of live television appearance possible.