The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:Not the "you better be wearing underwear" Steve Kerr era butt huggers?

Is that Booker Turner reffing in the background?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin wrote:Yes they are awesome.

I never really liked the shorts should be longer and wider than the jersey look.

The worst part of this was when in the late aughts, Nike came out with these skin tight tops but keeping the long baggy shorts.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Those weren't like the butt cut in the early 80s. We knew at the time those Nike uniforms sucked.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jason Scheer said today on the radio the Cats do not have any open scholarships for next year. It sounds like everyone is returning. He did say that could change. Smith is probably the biggest question.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Irish27 wrote:Jason Scheer said today on the radio the Cats do not have any open scholarships for next year. It sounds like everyone is returning. He did say that could change. Smith is probably the biggest question.
If so, that is a loaded team. Smith shouldn't see one minute of playing time.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I’m curious to see IF everyone stays, who’s getting more minutes between Doutrive and Armstrong.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Well, if that's true we are going to have a pretty fuckin deep roster.

I love the fact there will be big time competition for playing minutes - will only make us better. It also allows us options if players get injured which we saw first hand this year what happens when you have a thin roster.

Talent and depth...that's a lethal combination. Just please, please no more drama this off season. ;)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:I’m curious to see IF everyone stays, who’s getting more minutes between Doutrive and Armstrong.
It'll be interesting. Armstrong has all the natural tools, while Doutrive has some natural tools, but also a year experience in the system. It's going to come down to defense like it always does. Either way can Dylan Smith GTFO already? I wish you all the luck and prosperity in the world young man, but screw off already please.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Irish27 wrote:Jason Scheer said today on the radio the Cats do not have any open scholarships for next year. It sounds like everyone is returning. He did say that could change. Smith is probably the biggest question.
If that's the case then plan on having a transfer (or two) before Pac 12 play start. Once those guys have 10 games under their belt and see the new allotted minutes, they won't be happy. We'll be playing great mid December, top ten material, then boom..... there goes the bench.

Personally think we will be back to Arizona good next season regardless of who stays.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

midnightx wrote:
If so, that is a loaded team. Smith shouldn't see one minute of playing time.

i wouldn't bet on that.

Sean Miller loves upperclassmen and he loves guys who play defense even more.

If Armstrong shoots 60% from the field and 50% from beyond the arc with zero turnovers.........but fails to get back on defense once or twice I confidently predict that Smith will be out there on the court dribbling the ball off his foot and missing wide open 3's.

Miller is who he is and does what he does.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:I’m curious to see IF everyone stays, who’s getting more minutes between Doutrive and Armstrong.
It'll be interesting. Armstrong has all the natural tools, while Doutrive has some natural tools, but also a year experience in the system. It's going to come down to defense like it always does. Either way can Dylan Smith GTFO already? I wish you all the luck and prosperity in the world young man, but screw off already please.
Would gladly take Hazzard > Smith
Edit- I don’t care that he can’t play immediately
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Would gladly take Hazzard > Smith
Edit- I don’t care that he can’t play immediately
Hazzard can play immediately.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So, are we hiring an asst coach?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:So, are we hiring an asst coach?
Have to officially get rid of Phelps first.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I want to go officially on the record that if Dylan Smith is getting any quality minutes next year, he will invariably cost us a game with:

a. a crucial turnover
b. a bad shot (missed of course)
c. a bad foul
e. all of the above

It will happen. And the response will be: "That's why you don't have Dylan Smith in the game with 28 seconds to play."
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Here are my hopes for next season, that we have:

1. A monster point guard
2. A defensive stopper or two (a la Nick, TJ, AG, RHJ, Zeus)
3. Three capable three point shooters

I'm losing my taste for projecting performance, but I've got a lot of faith in Nico to be #1. Williams could be there too - he'd hit a pretty good groove in conference play (14 & 4 w/45% 3pt shooting) before the knee flare up.

Not sold that anyone will be #2.

Not sold that anyone outside of Nico will be #1. Our best returning three point shooter is Smith, maybe DD (small sample). Green isn't a three point shooter. Armstrong I wouldn't count on to burn it from deep as a freshman. Again, hopefully Williams returns healthy and productive and can be the second of three or more quality deep shooters. Having a forward who can stretch the floor would be great but that's not on the menu.

Hopefully these guys grow a ton over the summer. We'll be hamstrung otherwise.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Here are my hopes for next season, that we have:

1. A monster point guard

I'm losing my taste for projecting performance, but I've got a lot of faith in Nico to be #1. Williams could be there too - he'd hit a pretty good groove in conference play (14 & 4 w/45% 3pt shooting) before the knee flare up.

Not sold that anyone outside of Nico will be #1. Our best returning three point shooter is Smith, maybe DD (small sample). Green isn't a three point shooter. Armstrong I wouldn't count on to burn it from deep as a freshman. Again, hopefully Williams returns healthy and productive and can be the second of three or more quality deep shooters. Having a forward who can stretch the floor would be great but that's not on the menu.

Green shot nearly 50% from 3 this past year. Also if any one is #2 it's him.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Randolph can be a capable (and at times lethal) three-point shooter if he can learn to play within the system while surrounded by talent.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Randolph can be a capable (and at times lethal) three-point shooter if he can learn to play within the system while surrounded by talent.
Or shoot 3 pointers while not fading away...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

1. A monster point guard

I'm seeing that stat now. I'd heard his three point shooting was a deficiency but that's possibly something he's improved on this season. He shot 35% from three on his AAU team (though a small sample, 29 attempts over 8 games). Not a fan of trusting stats from high school basketball outside of official tournaments and AAU.

I'm not comfortable projecting him to be a 38% or better three point shooter, so hopefully I'm very pleasantly surprised.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

1. A monster point guard

I'm seeing that stat now. I'd heard his three point shooting was a deficiency but that's possibly something he's improved on this season. He shot 35% from three on his AAU team (though a small sample, 29 attempts over 8 games).

I'm not comfortable projecting him to be a 38% or better three point shooter, so hopefully I'm very pleasantly surprised.
Yeah I don't expect him to be an ace 3 point shooter, but I think our team as a whole next year will be a solid 3 point shooting team without Smith.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Limited sample size, but DD shot 45% from 3. Significantly higher than anybody else on the team. Not during practice. :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1. A monster point guard

On 1, we should have two capable point guards, barring BWill's knee issues recurring. How those guys grow and meld together for the postseason should be fun to watch.

On 2, I hope we gain by eliminating weaker links. We were actually pretty good last year until Akot, Jeter and BWill all dropped off. Replacing Coleman with Nico and Luther with Nnaji gives us two big upgrades in terms of size and athleticism. Green should be a solid add who can check a smaller 4. What gives me the most hope is not seeing the weaker matchups that the opponent can attack.

3 is sort of similar to 2. We might not have a Salim, York type who snipes from 3, but I feel like we can have a lot of guys above 35% if things go right. We don't have anyone in our perimeter rotation who doesn't demand to be guarded, at least. RHJ and AG, you could sag off. I don't see us having anyone the D will straight sag off.

What I want to see:

1. Nico and BWill mesh to where both are going to be constant playmakers. Having two guys who can immediately make things happen at any given second is a blessing if they can get there.
2. The return of wearing them down. We have the size, depth and talent to crush teams in the last 10 minutes again.
3. A final five emerge. We have depth and ability, but I want to see who asserts themselves as our closers.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Here's my hopes:

1. Improved defense.
Curious to see how much it improves and if it's sustainable to be top tier team. The defense last year was looking good (top 35-40) until the wheels fell out after Akot quit. Nnaji will presumably be starting, which means being new to complex system and having a 6'11 guy out on the perimeter again, the problems with twin towers are still there. Mannion isn't a defensive stopper, Williams is better and has a good wingspan (6'6) to help out. Green is 6'5 but has a 6'10 wingspan which should help defend the SFs or bigger two guards, he can also guard multiple positions. Randolph is not good. Gettings I'm assuming will be Luther-esque, Lee should be better but is undersized, Doutrieve didn't see the floor because he was bad.

Smith will likely play because Miller trusts him and can competently defend.

2. Rebounding.
Well the size of size of a healthy Jeter & Nannji should be an automatic improvement. Green is a good wing defender with his wingspan. This area should be the most improved, can't afford to get killed on the boards again. Hoping Lee becomes a Draymond Green type or Dejuan Blair.

3. 3pt shooting.
I see Green's 3pt shooting, but I don't believe he'll be that good in college. I'm thinking a better defender than Stanley and similar offensively. I think the spacing will have to come from Mannion & Williams. I think we'll struggle here yet again unless Randolph just becomes a lights out catch and shoot 3pt sharpshooter and doesn't Kobe his shots.

4. Miller trusting his two guards.
I will be really disappointed if Mannion has to waste 5+ seconds to get the call of what to run from Miller. In transition, Mannion, Williams, Green are all capable of pushing the ball, hopefully they do it. That will be important, getting the defensive stop, rebounding, pushing the ball because I think the struggle to shoot from outside will make it a struggle to score in the half court. Either Mannion or Williams should be on the court an any given time (barring injury, blowouts or foul trouble). When they're on the floor together, they could solve the 3pt shooting problem, hard to stop two playmakers who can handle the rock, score, and distribute. They can create offense by themselves.

5. Development.
Guys like Doutrieve, Lee, Randolph need to take a leap.

6. A really solid 7-8 man rotation.
I'm thinking the closeout rotation will be Mannion-Williams-Green-Lee-Jeter unless you need size then substitute Nnaji for Lee

I think the 7-8 core that gets most minutes will be

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter

Lee or Gettings
Randolph
Smith (unfortunately) or Doutrieve if Miller trusts him (won't)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Here's my hopes:

1. Improved defense.
Curious to see how much it improves and if it's sustainable to be top tier team. The defense last year was looking good (top 35-40) until the wheels fell out after Akot quit. Nnaji will presumably be starting, which means being new to complex system and having a 6'11 guy out on the perimeter again, the problems with twin towers are still there. Mannion isn't a defensive stopper, Williams is better and has a good wingspan (6'6) to help out. Green is 6'5 but has a 6'10 wingspan which should help defend the SFs or bigger two guards, he can also guard multiple positions. Randolph is not good. Gettings I'm assuming will be Luther-esque, Lee should be better but is undersized, Doutrieve didn't see the floor because he was bad. Smith will likely play because Miller trusts him and can competently defend.
Mannion isn't a stopper, but I think he can be a solid defender who puts in a lot of effort. He was asked to take it easy on defense in HS for obvious reasons. Doutrive didn't come back to not play, he's buying in, I think his defense after year 1 will be much improved much like York's was and Kadeem as well. Randolph needs to buy in, he could be a solid defender with his length, truthfully he's a 3 and D guy in the pros if he grows a brain. I still don't think Smith will be on next year's roster.

NYCat wrote:2. Rebounding.
Well the size of size of a healthy Jeter & Nannji should be an automatic improvement. Green is a good wing defender with his wingspan. This area should be the most improved, can't afford to get killed on the boards again. Hoping Lee becomes a Draymond Green type or Dejuan Blair.
Good stuff.
NYCat wrote:3. 3pt shooting.
I see Green's 3pt shooting, but I don't believe he'll be that good in college. I'm thinking a better defender than Stanley and similar offensively. I think the spacing will have to come from Mannion & Williams. I think we'll struggle here yet again unless Randolph just becomes a lights out catch and shoot 3pt sharpshooter and doesn't Kobe his shots.
Gettings & Nnaji are both capable 3 point shooters as well, which will help spacing when Jeter is down low.
NYCat wrote:4. Miller trusting his two guards.
I will be really disappointed if Mannion has to waste 5+ seconds to get the call of what to run from Miller. In transition, Mannion, Williams, Green are all capable of pushing the ball, hopefully they do it. That will be important, getting the defensive stop, rebounding, pushing the ball because I think the struggle to shoot from outside will make it a struggle to score in the half court. Either Mannion or Williams should be on the court an any given time (barring injury, blowouts or foul trouble). When they're on the floor together, they could solve the 3pt shooting problem, hard to stop two playmakers who can handle the rock, score, and distribute. They can create offense by themselves.
I don't think trusting his guards will be an issue this year.
NYCat wrote:5. Development.
Guys like Doutrieve, Lee, Randolph need to take a leap.
We can only hope. Doutrive and Lee are bought in.
NYCat wrote:6. A really solid 7-8 man rotation.
I'm thinking the closeout rotation will be Mannion-Williams-Green-Lee-Jeter unless you need size then substitute Nnaji for Lee

I think the 7-8 core that gets most minutes will be

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji
Jeter

Lee
Randolph
Smith (unfortunately)
Gettings
Replace Smith with Doutrive.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One more hope. Better uniforms.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gettings & Nnaji are both capable 3 point shooters as well, which will help spacing when Jeter is down low.
I'm hopeful on Nnaji as a contributor from outside the arc but from what I've seen Gettings can be more than capable. Every comp I've heard is Luther and with how Luther was shooting in the second half of conference play, all our opponents had to respect him. I will take that again in a heartbeat (even if its off the bench). Nothing will space out the floor for us more than a big who can really shoot it. Our big men group may not be as talented and deep as our backcourt but there is definitely a really nice mix of play-styles that can give us some different looks for either more shooting, defense or rebounding depending on who is at the 4. Up to Miller to get creative with that position. The 5 as well to a lesser extent.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I suppose I'd forgotten about Gettings.

A line-up of Mannion, Williams, Green, Gettings, Jeter could be great... Those first four guys can all pass, can score from all three levels, and are well sized for their positions. Jeter is then tasked with a Zeus role, which we seems well suited for (be a mature leader, move your feet on defense, rebound, screen, get buckets at the rim). Gettings's three point shooting solves my "where is the third shooter" concerns (and from the PF position to boot, which is my favorite to space the paint).
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So Smith needs to leave for Hazzard to come?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:So Smith needs to leave for Hazzard to come?
That's how the math would work, but shouldn't we shut the door on grad transfer rentals? Especially when we already have two lead guards and five guys hunting for the other two wing spots.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

There’s no substitute for guards who can easily create shots for themselves and others.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Josh Green playing on ESPN rn.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Nice watching Green here. Impressed that he makes an impact without needing the ball in his hands. Passes the ball well, sees the floor, has an open offense attitude. Obviously a heck of a finisher, he's known for being athletic but its less his bounce and more his speed that impress me. He really gets down the court with a quickness. Playing great defense today - I'm not sure his man even attempted a shot in the second half. FWIW, Green's jumper was off today, think he was 0-4 on jumpers in the second half, 2-6 from three in the game.

With Green, Williams, and Mannion we should have three players in the backcourt who are ready, willing, and able to move the ball and create offense. For all the complaints about a stagnant Miller offense, having the personnel with the passing ability and the attitude to share the ball should be transformative. If that's the team culture next season then our offense is going to be really special.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Does Green have a little Nick Johnson in his game? That's been my impression.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Does Green have a little Nick Johnson in his game? That's been my impression.
Yes. Imagine Nick Johnson, but a better 3 point shooter with a NBA body and arguably a better passer as well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jesus. Gonna pray to the basketball gods now that we have him for more than one season.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Gershon gives a player comp in Green's 247 recruiting page.

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Green-46037279/" target="_blank

scouted 9/28/2018
NBA Comp:
Johnathan Simmons

Evaluation:
Extremely athletic and versatile wing; should be able to play the two and the three at the next level on both sides of court. Talented slasher due to high level body control and quick first step. Much improved shooter; now has legitimate range to three, even if he’s more lethal as slasher. Elite in transition due to motor and physical tools. Plus rebounder for wing; uses his athleticism and motor to grab boards in and out of area. Very high feel; passes ball well and reads opponents well on defense. Elite athleticism gives him significant upside. Continued progress as shooter while improving ball skills against pressure will determine hitting potential. Lottery pick upside if skill can continue to catch up to athletic gifts.

Simmons averaged 14.7/5.0/2.2 in his only season at Houston (2 years in Junior College before Houston). I predict similar numbers for Green at Arizona.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ons-1.html" target="_blank

NJ is also pretty good comp it seems, but Green will be more instant impact player. NJ averaged 8.9/3.3/2.4 as a freshman, his Jr. season was 16.3/4.1/2.8

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... son-1.html" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Sporting News 2019 Rankings (DeCourcy)

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... dgei068fyp" target="_blank

UA #22

Oregon #6
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Terry Amstrong wins National Slam Dunk Contest
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:Sporting News 2019 Rankings (DeCourcy)

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... dgei068fyp" target="_blank

UA #22

Oregon #6
That would be a nice ranking to begin the season. We’ll have to roll through the non-con season pretty convincingly in order to persuade people we’re really back.

I just wanna see this team steadily improve from game to game. Miller has to figure out his best rotations, and we need the upperclassmen to set the tone and expectations for the freshmen. I hope this team takes pride in being part of this program, however briefly, and wants to give Tucson something to remember.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:Terry Amstrong wins National Slam Dunk Contest
Next year's Doutrive, I'm calling it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:Terry Amstrong wins National Slam Dunk Contest
I've said it before, but he reminds me a lot of Randolph, hopefully just with better basketball IQ. He has a lot of the physical skills.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
How so? Like, he’ll barely play when he should be playing more?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
How so? Like, he’ll barely play when he should be playing more?
*Points to nose*

Although it'll be solely cause of defense much like Doutrive.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So annoying...DWWD
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Would love to see them get back to an elite defensive team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:So annoying...DWWD
If DWWD squanders this '19 class, there are gonna be some pretty unhappy campers around here.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is why Miller gets the big bucks and is the face of the organization.

Is the tournament fair, absolutely not, but it’s time to deliver.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "We do what we do" is Miller's response to the question of how his team will contend with an upcoming opponent's strengths and approach to the match up, and therefore = "We're not going to get away from our own strengths by trying out some gimmick and hope it works." It doesn't mean, "We're going to do the same thing every year regardless of personnel, and in spite of repeated failures."
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:So annoying...DWWD
Maybe DWWD caused Quinerly to ride the pine at Villanova.

I'd say the DWWD is less about the coach and more of an indictment on the AAU system, where star athletes who win slam dunk contests have never been held accountable on the defensive side of the floor and have no idea about defensive assignments. And why should they when the style they play is all about going for a spectacular block?

Lute was really no different. There were guys who could look great in pickup but were so fundamentally empty they couldn't play right away, or at least not consistently.

Guys like Doutrive and Armstrong can be special players if they learn the mental side of the game. Right now, they're the type to go for 30 points in the Red/Blue and then get less than 10 minutes in the first exhibition.