Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EVCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:http://www.bruinzone.com/b12/messages/3738.shtml

Ah, this is cute. Russ is still lurking around these parts, and claims to know what the hell he is talking about.
Wow. That guy *has* to be following AZ hoops closer than he's ever followed UCLA, which is weird. He sounds legitimately paranoid in that thread, like AZ's ongoing dominance of UCLA has him in need of medication and rest.
That's one odd dude. He is running over there reporting on "what Arizona fans are saying" like message boards are private or like there is some kind of rule that you must be a fan and in the know/important to post. Who cares what Arizona fans are saying on message boards? 97% of it is a guess, and the "insider" people often just read the situation and speculate.

My favorite is his "The Arizona fans have decided to take the route of playing the 3 compromised players and then vacating the title. I don't know why they are taking this action" like Arizona fans decide what happens. We are fkn JOKING about the Win and Vacate. Fans can't decide what the program does. He is all straight faced and serious about it, like "I cannot believe the Arizona fans want to do this. Baffled..."

Or, just quote him

"There are long threads on UA boards where fans are saying win and dare them to vacate, that seems to be the Arizona stance as baffling as it is." Baffling.

Yeah...that's our stance. Win and Vacate. Or Win and Don't Vacate. Are we supposed to say Don't Win So We Don't Have to Vacate? Or Win and Watch as Alford is Hauled Off in Handcuffs for Providing AD Funds to Compton Magic. Or Win and Nothing Happens Other Than a KickAss Parade and Event in the Stadium. Or Win a National Title in Hoops Following a Surprising 10 Win Season in Football and Enjoy May as the Baseball Team Plays into June and Wins the CWS Title. Or so many others.

Russ Smith: "There are long posts on their boards where Arizona Fans are predicting 10 wins for the football team and a CWS Title for the baseball team, while claiming that Steve Alford is going to be arrested."
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Russ has figured it out. This board covertly runs the U of A Athletic Department.

Now we have to send Erik Prince to put a hit on him and silence the truth. Sucks to be him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

wyo-cat wrote:Russ has figured it out. This board covertly runs the U of A Athletic Department.

Now we have to send Erik Prince to put a hit on him and silence the truth. Sucks to be him.
It is nice to know any random thing I say becomes word of Arizona fans. He's going to love my opinions on the moon landing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

An old link, but it offers a way out for Book. He just needs to adopt Jahvon Quinerly and he's in the clear.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... n/1702147/" target="_blank
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

Just so frustrated that this has completely stalled our recruiting. I get that there's some apprehension to sign w/ Arizona, but literally, we're getting no attention save for Williams and O'Neal, who've been committed for some time. At this moment, with how the investigation has transpired, other schools have been getting hit harder, plus our AD and school president wouldn't give Miller a vote of confidence if they felt he was running a dirty program.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:An old link, but it offers a way out for Book. He just needs to adopt Jahvon Quinerly and he's in the clear.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... n/1702147/" target="_blank
would be a beautiful ending to a questionable situation
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Didn't know where to put this, but how much of an impact were the UCLA trio supposed to have? I know LiAngelo is a bench guy, but what about the other two?
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Book plead not guilty - for you legal minds, what does this mean?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Statfreak77 wrote:Book plead not guilty - for you legal minds, what does this mean?
It is worth roughly as much as my opinion.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Statfreak77 wrote:Book plead not guilty - for you legal minds, what does this mean?
There are sound legal arguments, which came out at the time of the indictments, stating he will win his case likely on appeal. NCAA violation doesn't necessarily mean a federal crime was committed.

Also means he hasn't flipped.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ZONACAT wrote:
There are sound legal arguments, which came out at the time of the indictments, stating he will win his case likely on appeal. NCAA violation doesn't necessarily mean a federal crime was committed.

You are definitely an optimistic and adventurous fellow.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ZONACAT wrote:

One of the issues that gets pushed out of notice is "standing", what right does the FBI have to prosecute these guys for some of the crimes...

Without doing a HUGE dog and pony show and defending Book at all, I can see where a decent lawyer would go after the issue of Book "harming" the University...

If there is no paper trail to a student or family then the issue of harm to the Uni via a misappropriated scholarship (ie: is student got recruitment money and no longer qualified for a grant)then all the FBI has is claims of wire fraud...and in the case of being the recipient its a little harder to prove wrong doing...its illegal to bribe, but its not illegal to wire money, so they have to prove "bribe" and they have to prove "harm" to the university...

If all they have is phone records (and Book was smart enough to only deal in cash) it gets harder to prove...

I dunno...when you have wiretaps what you have is conversations...and as a lawyer all you have to do is prove reasonable doubt to the jury.

My daughter is a DA and she has gone to trial with phone records and photos of bails of pot and guns and tons of cash recovered at the residence and lost cases...juries don't trust the "man" if this is going to jury he may actually get off.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:

One of the issues that gets pushed out of notice is "standing", what right does the FBI have to prosecute these guys for some of the crimes...

Without doing a HUGE dog and pony show and defending Book at all, I can see where a decent lawyer would go after the issue of Book "harming" the University...

If there is no paper trail to a student or family then the issue of harm to the Uni via a misappropriated scholarship (ie: is student got recruitment money and no longer qualified for a grant)then all the FBI has is claims of wire fraud...and in the case of being the recipient its a little harder to prove wrong doing...its illegal to bribe, but its not illegal to wire money, so they have to prove "bribe" and they have to prove "harm" to the university...

If all they have is phone records (and Book was smart enough to only deal in cash) it gets harder to prove...

I dunno...when you have wiretaps what you have is conversations...and as a lawyer all you have to do is prove reasonable doubt to the jury.

My daughter is a DA and she has gone to trial with phone records and photos of bails of pot and guns and tons of cash recovered at the residence and lost cases...juries don't trust the "man" if this is going to jury he may actually get off.
LATimes reported this morning that USC's Bland pleaded not guilty, and that all other defendants to the FBI's actions have done likewise. Bland's attorney explained "We don't have any evidence , which I assume to mean it hasn't been available to him from the FBI.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

If cleared, we don't bring him back right?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Nah, go get Adam Cohen from Stanford.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Jefe wrote:If cleared, we don't bring him back right?
No, because he broke NCAA rules.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Won't coach college ball again
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And then the schools get caught holding the bag for the NCAA infractions. The shoe companies are the bad guys along with the unscrupulous agents.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

On UA's signees, Alkins' foot and Trier's would-be 30

While Miller says he’s looking for a class of five guys, the fact is that he will likely lose at least six or more next spring.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... op-story-1" target="_blank
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

NYCat wrote:Nah, go get Adam Cohen from Stanford.
OK, Scheer.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

EOCT wrote:
LATimes reported this morning that USC's Bland pleaded not guilty, and that all other defendants to the FBI's actions have done likewise. Bland's attorney explained "We don't have any evidence , which I assume to mean it hasn't been available to him from the FBI.

By now the lawyers involved would have a decent amount of discovery, they do not necessarily get it all, but there can be no surprises going into trial, so for Blands attorney to say they don't have any evidence is actually a pretty big deal (at least regarding Bland)...

I kinda wondered how much evidence the FBI actually had when they said "We have your playbook"...that is kind of not professional...it is not typical lawyer speak for a case with a ton of evidence...

My gut feeling is the FBI hoped they could bluff enough and get others to turn on the shoe companys/coaches but in truth this is not as big a deal as everyone imagines...the FBI does not get to make up evidence and if defense attorneys say they have received none then there's a good chance we've heard just about everything the FBI has in evidence.

It doesn't mean Book gets off, and it certainly doesn't mean the NCAA plays nice...but they kinda set the tone with UMC and the Pac 12 is already being pretty proactive about this stuff now with their own UCLA/Larry Scott based committee...

One other thing to note, even though this is an ongoing investigation the guys charged are guaranteed to have a speedy due process...speedy means at least in 70 days, so while the rest of the investigation can move forward at a snails pace the guys charged have already had a case brought before a judge or grand jury so the evidence against them is in already...and by law that evidence must be shared with the defense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Submitted without comment:

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/fr ... ule12.html" target="_blank

(4) Notice of the Government’s Intent to Use Evidence.

(A) At the Government’s Discretion. At the arraignment or as soon afterward as practicable, the government may notify the defendant of its intent to use specified evidence at trial in order to afford the defendant an opportunity to object before trial under Rule 12(b)(3)(C).

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/fr ... ule10.html" target="_blank

This rule defines the scope of arraignmemts.

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/fr ... ule16.html" target="_blank
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Something to keep an eye on: There are now over 1,500 sealed indictments filed in federal district courts across the country, and that number is jumping by about 100 filings each day in the recent week. Unheard of levels, DOJ is going hard after something(s). We can all speculate as to who/what is in those sealed indictments, but with that many I would NOT rule out stuff that would put other top programs in the same situation we are in. They are not going to stop with the dozen or so schools and call it a day. It's a dirty game and in these times, you cant hide when you have eyes on you.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't 99.9% off all perps arrested plead not guilty in order to get a better deal from the DA?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EOCT wrote: LATimes reported this morning that USC's Bland pleaded not guilty, and that all other defendants to the FBI's actions have done likewise. Bland's attorney explained "We don't have any evidence , which I assume to mean it hasn't been available to him from the FBI.

I wouldn't look into that too much. Defense attorneys always play that "they got nothing" game. The FBI aren't the ones who give him the evidence, basically how it works is the FBI (or any other agency) compiles all of their evidence and forwards to the US Attorney's Office and from there, the US Attorney's Office decides if they have enough there and if so, if they want to pursue the case. As I mentioned in my last post, there are over 1,500 sealed indictments sitting in federal courts across the country right now. That is unheard of and it isn't even close. That does not include filings that are unsealed, which tells you the DOJ is really busy right now. Too busy to file on this type of stuff with the prayer that the FBI will deliver on the bigger fish. They are also too busy to be filing cases that are an uphill battle to win, they want slam dunks and if they have "uphill battles," they are mostly only going to involve BIG TIME players (eg: the shoe companies and other large corporations and entities). Bottom line, the US Attorneys would not be filing unless they were extremely confident it will lead to a win at trial or a guilty plea to avoid trial.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Merkin wrote:

Don't 99.9% off all perps arrested plead not guilty in order to get a better deal from the DA?
Yeah, completely standard. Attorneys need time to review the prosecution's evidence (discovery), develop strategies for trial, interview third parties and do their own investigations, file motions (such as motions to suppress particular evidence that may be tainted or unlawfully obtained so it cant be used against them in trial), do legal research, negotiate plea agreements for their clients, etc. More evidence can trickle in after charges are filed, and in those cases, obviously even more time is needed for defense attorneys to rinse and repeat what I just said.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Nah, go get Adam Cohen from Stanford.
This is the correct answer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:Russ has figured it out. This board covertly runs the U of A Athletic Department.

It is nice to know any random thing I say becomes word of Arizona fans. He's going to love my opinions on the moon landing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo" target="_blank
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

rgdeuce wrote:Something to keep an eye on: There are now over 1,500 sealed indictments filed in federal district courts across the country, and that number is jumping by about 100 filings each day in the recent week. Unheard of levels, DOJ is going hard after something(s). We can all speculate as to who/what is in those sealed indictments, but with that many I would NOT rule out stuff that would put other top programs in the same situation we are in. They are not going to stop with the dozen or so schools and call it a day. It's a dirty game and in these times, you cant hide when you have eyes on you.

Ummm you know this sounds sensational...but I would personally like to see some kind of evidence that this is 1. Not normal, or 2. Has anything to do with the case in hand...

If you are suggesting that there are 1500 sealed indictments related to college BB then the game is over.

If you are getting your info from 4chan...please stop.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Ya they wanna build a strong case against a multi billion dollar company ADIDAS. that will equal a nice payday for the feds
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Then circle around and nab the ncaa
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Something to keep an eye on: There are now over 1,500 sealed indictments filed in federal district courts across the country, and that number is jumping by about 100 filings each day in the recent week. Unheard of levels, DOJ is going hard after something(s). We can all speculate as to who/what is in those sealed indictments, but with that many I would NOT rule out stuff that would put other top programs in the same situation we are in. They are not going to stop with the dozen or so schools and call it a day. It's a dirty game and in these times, you cant hide when you have eyes on you.

Ummm you know this sounds sensational...but I would personally like to see some kind of evidence that this is 1. Not normal, or 2. Has anything to do with the case in hand...

If you are suggesting that there are 1500 sealed indictments related to college BB then the game is over.

See page 17. These numbers are from all of 2006. I'll see if I can track down reports from other years.

https://www.fjc.gov/sites/default/files ... alCaFC.pdf" target="_blank

Here is a spreadsheet from all of the sealed filings filed in federal district courts across the nation since October 30, 2017. You need a google/gmail account to access, which you probably have. 1,428, I estimated and was a little off. Regardless, the sealed criminal indictments filed in the last three weeks dwarfed all of 2006 from the first link. These numbers were pulled from PACER (not by me) and I have seen multiple sources access PACER and verify. You can verify on your own, if you want to pay for PACER access. Aside from what I am posting, I am friends or acquaintances with quite a few criminal attorneys and I've had several tell me they have never seen these numbers in such a short period.

https://doc-0c-18-docs.googleuserconten ... j1p0muiosb" target="_blank

I'm not saying many, a few or even any of these sealed indictments are related to college basketball. These numbers do tell you several things though: something big is going down across quite a bit of the country, and the DOJ is very busy right now. There are multiple reasons why indictments will be sealed, but more times than not it involves complex and/or large conspiracies and/or key players they don't want to tip off. Common sense tells you with the DOJ being this busy, they would not be going after Mr. USC unless they had a solid case AND they are looking big picture. Large, complex conspiracies involve extensive manpower to build cases for grand jury indictment, trial preparation and lengthy trials (for those who do not take pleas).

Knowing the DOJ doesn't have the manpower to waste their time during these busy times, even if just 2 or 3 out of the 1400 plus sealed indictments involved this type of stuff, we have seen how many schools can get dragged into even one conspiracy. And if they reach their big goal of the shoe companies, not many good schools not going to get dragged into the mess.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

rgdeuce wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

See page 17. These numbers are from all of 2006. I'll see if I can track down reports from other years.

https://www.fjc.gov/sites/default/files ... alCaFC.pdf" target="_blank

Here is a spreadsheet from all of the sealed filings filed in federal district courts across the nation since October 30, 2017. You need a google/gmail account to access, which you probably have. 1,428, I estimated and was a little off. Regardless, the sealed criminal indictments filed in the last three weeks dwarfed all of 2006 from the first link. These numbers were pulled from PACER (not by me) and I have seen multiple sources access PACER and verify. You can verify on your own, if you want to pay for PACER access. Aside from what I am posting, I am friends or acquaintances with quite a few criminal attorneys and I've had several tell me they have never seen these numbers in such a short period.

https://doc-0c-18-docs.googleuserconten ... j1p0muiosb" target="_blank

I'm not saying many, a few or even any of these sealed indictments are related to college basketball. These numbers do tell you several things though: something big is going down across quite a bit of the country, and the DOJ is very busy right now. There are multiple reasons why indictments will be sealed, but more times than not it involves complex and/or large conspiracies and/or key players they don't want to tip off. Common sense tells you with the DOJ being this busy, they would not be going after Mr. USC unless they had a solid case AND they are looking big picture. Large, complex conspiracies involve extensive manpower to build cases for grand jury indictment, trial preparation and lengthy trials (for those who do not take pleas).

Knowing the DOJ doesn't have the manpower to waste their time during these busy times, even if just 2 or 3 out of the 1400 plus sealed indictments involved this type of stuff, we have seen how many schools can get dragged into even one conspiracy. And if they reach their big goal of the shoe companies, not many good schools not going to get dragged into the mess.
The second link no worky...

All I'm suggesting is that sealed DOJ indictments are not a big deal, it protects their methods...basically what you've told me is there is a rumor from criminal attorneys that there are about 1500 sealed indictments from the DOJ and this is news somehow...but so far nothing even resembling evidence of this claim is to be found...a pdf from 2006? thats 11 years ago...and I can tell you this much...wiretaps are hard to get because every T must be crossed and every I dotted or it gets thrown out...once you expose the crime with charges your wiretap is done...nobody is wearing a wire right now trying to bring down new criminals in THESE cases...

My daughter is one of 2 people in her entire district in N California that are authorized to write wiretap subpoenas...its very precise work and not even her immediate boss gets to know what she is doing, they are that stringent on the State level...I can't imagine there is more evidence coming out...not really...

Everyone likes to parrot the mantra that this corruption is rampant in college hoops, tons of schools are gonna go down...I say thats a false narrative built on imagination...sure there are some bad eggs...but maybe just a handful at most...

I still maintain we've seen the worst of this entire fiasco as far as the Feds are concerned.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

I agree it's likely over imo. Anyone else doing similar things surely have stopped for now and got rid of most evidence. If they wanted to round up more small fish aka coaches this would still be unknown to everyone cause the fbi would still be undercover with wiretaps etc. Dawkins says he wanted to continue to recruit more assistant coaches. I do think the fbi has a lot more evidence and phone taps then what they released in the indictment release.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

A USC spokesman referred to a statement the school issued earlier this month, saying Melton was being held out as a precaution.

Podberesky said federal prosecutors from New York interviewed Melton for about 40 minutes last month in Tucson, Ariz. In advance of the meeting, the attorney said the prosecutors’ told her they had no reason to believe Melton knew anything about the matter.
Why?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
A USC spokesman referred to a statement the school issued earlier this month, saying Melton was being held out as a precaution.

Podberesky said federal prosecutors from New York interviewed Melton for about 40 minutes last month in Tucson, Ariz. In advance of the meeting, the attorney said the prosecutors’ told her they had no reason to believe Melton knew anything about the matter.
The numerous direct flights from NY to Tucson.
Why?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
The second link no worky...

All I'm suggesting is that sealed DOJ indictments are not a big deal, it protects their methods...basically what you've told me is there is a rumor from criminal attorneys that there are about 1500 sealed indictments from the DOJ and this is news somehow...but so far nothing even resembling evidence of this claim is to be found...a pdf from 2006? thats 11 years ago...and I can tell you this much...wiretaps are hard to get because every T must be crossed and every I dotted or it gets thrown out...once you expose the crime with charges your wiretap is done...nobody is wearing a wire right now trying to bring down new criminals in THESE cases...

My daughter is one of 2 people in her entire district in N California that are authorized to write wiretap subpoenas...its very precise work and not even her immediate boss gets to know what she is doing, they are that stringent on the State level...I can't imagine there is more evidence coming out...not really...

Everyone likes to parrot the mantra that this corruption is rampant in college hoops, tons of schools are gonna go down...I say thats a false narrative built on imagination...sure there are some bad eggs...but maybe just a handful at most...

I still maintain we've seen the worst of this entire fiasco as far as the Feds are concerned.
I'll see what I can do about the second link when I get on my home laptop tonight.

We have multiple credible sources saying the end goal are the shoe companies. If the FBI was worried about cover ups, we wouldn't know anything about Book, Louisville, Miami, USC, etc. That stuff would have remained sealed. Wiretaps in these times aren't as big of a deal when you have text messaging, social media and email, all of which are permanent and readily available through subpoena. These guys can sit there and delete every email and whatever else til they are blue in the face, yahoo and gmail and hotmail all have their own copies. Also, this was a three-year investigation, we don't know what they already have and what stages they are in each respective investigation.

As for the sealed indictments themselves - this is something I have been keeping up with for over a year. I'm not going to get into exactly what because quite a bit of it is tied to the political world. Of course, politics is tied to money, big business, etc., and when you are digging through corruption, you are going to come across more AND come across people who know someone who knows someone who is doing XYZ for a completely unrelated business scandal. These people cut deals, which is how this particular investigation came to fruition. You also got to realize it is very possible the FBI has been sitting on quite a bit of evidence for years - former FBI directors and Attorney Generals may have prevented things going further because they wanted to focus on other illicit activity.

As for the number of sealed indictments being out of the ordinary, I can make that call on my own (I cant explain how I can, for good reasons). I could tell something big was going down before it got over 800. Multiple attorneys who have been doing this for a long time confirmed what I already knew. The NCAA part IS purely speculation on my part, but that speculation isnt too much of a reach when you look at what has happened so far, multiple reliable sources (here and in the media) talking about how huge of a problem this is, and having a good understanding of how the DOJ and federal law enforcement agencies operate. Ask yourself this: why would the FBI in these busy times say, hey we are going to take down 10-12 programs and/or coaches, ruin a few kids amateur statuses and call it a day? One, you aren't going to fix anything doing that and two, there is no incentive to do so. However, Nike and Adidas are big businesses and this problem on a grand scale = civil forfeiture money (10s or maybe even 100s of millions) and actually chopping off the head of the snake. And people playing with dirty money usually have their hands in several different things. To be clear, I highly doubt even 1% of these indictments involve this stuff, but common sense tells you the FBI wouldnt even be touching this stuff if there werent bigger plans and it is highly possible that 2, 3, 4 of those indictments involve some form of illicit activity within NCAA basketball, possibly even football at this point. The FBI doesn't always operate how you see in the movies. Its not always 100 percent secrecy til its time to nail em and then they nail em. Sometimes they want stuff out there, it puts heat on people and you dont have to have formal indictments to put heat on people. Think of that old saying: When you turn on the lights, the rats scatter. People make mistakes when the light is on. That is when Coach A finds out what is going on and calls Assistant Coach C to make sure their ducks are in order and their stories are straight without realizing that the FBI has been watching and listening to Assistant Coach C for a year.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

^^^^All of this assumes a huge mistrust of university coaches...a sentiment I do not share...in my experience university level people are generally well educated, financially secure and economically healthy people who like the stability and consistency university employment offers...coaches may fall a little outside of this matrix but not much at all...I've stopped believing in huge conspiracy's because I trust people...they are either better than I assume or dumb enough to not be able to pull it off for very long at all...the only folks I DON'T trust are government types...there the conspiracies are real.

Frankly I'm not buying the "huge shoe company/many coaches payoff" cover-up...a few bad eggs? Sure thats normal, a huge cover-up? Nope.^^^^
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CatFanOneMil wrote:^^^^All of this assumes a huge mistrust of university coaches...a sentiment I do not share...in my experience university level people are generally well educated, financially secure and economically healthy people who like the stability and consistency university employment offers...coaches may fall a little outside of this matrix but not much at all...I've stopped believing in huge conspiracy's because I trust people...they are either better than I assume or dumb enough to not be able to pull it off for very long at all...the only folks I DON'T trust are government types...there the conspiracies are real.

Frankly I'm not buying the "huge shoe company/many coaches payoff" cover-up...a few bad eggs? Sure thats normal, a huge cover-up? Nope.^^^^
Which is more believable to you? 1) Sean Miller is a dirty coach; or 2) Sean Miller, like most other coaches, is a good guy in a dirty game that cannot be cleaned up (albeit temporarily) until federal authorities intervene.

Regardless, there are plenty of "well educated, financially secure and economically healthy people with stable employment" who have been convicted of white collar crimes. We can at least agree on our distrust of some government types. Keep in mind though, sometimes "decisions" made by these government types are made to help out their business buddies or lobbyists and/or protect those people's asses. Nike and Adidas would be no different than Halliburton or Enron. Money is the root of all evil and the biggest driving force behind just about everything in our world.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

This article is making the claim that the FBI is basically going after Dawkins as the fall guy and that is kinda pretty much it...

It is odd if the article is true that he is living at his parents house...hardly the lifestyle you'd expect from a big roller...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/def ... -scandal-1" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Merkin wrote:
Poor Tugs.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Statfreak77 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Poor Tugs.
Really sucks for the kid, but there's no way in the world any one should've paid $100K to land him. Good player, but yeah he's not that good.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
This has to come as a shock to Rick Pitino.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Louisville will allow him to transfer. Why would anyone risk it?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Sorry if this has been discussed already but remember a few years back when Book was suspended? Or took leave from the program for a bit if I am recalling that correctly....anyone know the backstory on that?

Thanks in advance.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already but remember a few years back when Book was suspended? Or took leave from the program for a bit if I am recalling that correctly....anyone know the backstory on that?

Thanks in advance.
Believe Miller found out that Book was Ace's (PGU) inside guy in the program.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Then does the FBI probe have something to do with Ace's disappearance? I don't follow him. Is he still dead?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Then does the FBI probe have something to do with Ace's disappearance? I don't follow him. Is he still dead?
There are all kinds of rumors out there about that dick "ace"...his twitter account suddenly came back to life a few months ago and then died again...(pgu)...

There were rumors he was being investigated by the IRS and if that was the case there's a strong chance that he might have been one of the threads that lead the FBI to Book...I would not doubt it because he seemed to have some sort of inside line even after the Bookline was cut by Miller...

Millers biggest mistake in the last few years was NOT firing Book when he found out about the Ace info feed...he went soft and gave him another chance which Book either used to fuck us or was already using to fuck us...

As far as Ace, there were the obvious rumors of his demise, which I doubt, my gut instinct is he went to a soft jail for tax evasion...he was a known gambler/money flasher....all that gets reported to the IRS by the casinos...he is probably some richer dudes bitch in the Nevada Penal system somewhere.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Merkin wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already but remember a few years back when Book was suspended? Or took leave from the program for a bit if I am recalling that correctly....anyone know the backstory on that?

Thanks in advance.
Believe Miller found out that Book was Ace's (PGU) inside guy in the program.
Aww, thanks Merkin...that sounds credible and I now recall speculation as such. Looking back and with how sleazy Ace was/is....in hindsight that now looks more ominous :-(. Man, yet again, this thread is sooo depressing yet needed.

Bear Down and thanks again Merkin.