The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but "We do what we do" is Miller's response to the question of how his team will contend with an upcoming opponent's strengths and approach to the match up, and therefore = "We're not going to get away from our own strengths by trying out some gimmick and hope it works." It doesn't mean, "We're going to do the same thing every year regardless of personnel, and in spite of repeated failures."
It has a secondary meaning of "escape goat for people when they disagree with strategic or personnel decisions Sean Miller makes."
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

There was a moment last week in Santorini when I was in desperate need of an escape goat myself. :P
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

dmjcat wrote:Sporting News 2019 Rankings (DeCourcy)

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-bas ... dgei068fyp" target="_blank

UA #22

Oregon #6
#22 -/+ is probably accurate. Still too much unknown for a higher ranking. He also has Zags #20 so that should be a good litmus test for Arizona, something I don't think the Wooden classic would do.

I'm sensing a 2012/2013 esque season imo, top recruiting class with some returning talent after missing the tournament, eliminated in the S16

Anyway..

Vegas has Arizona as the best odds in the conference (25/1, Oregon 30/1). UCLA 100/1, USC 100/1, Washington 100/1,

Arizona opponents:
Gonzaga is 10/1
Illinois is 100/1
Baylor is 500/1
St John's 200/1
UCF 1000/1
Providence 500/1
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't know, I see our talent level as significantly higher than #22 nationally. If we start Nico, BWill, Green, Nnaji and Jeter, that's 3 ex-McDonald's AA's and 5 top 30 kids.

We have a slightly lower rated but more experienced bench. I don't care about preseason rankings, though. They matter zilch.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't know, I see our talent level as significantly higher than #22 nationally. If we start Nico, BWill, Green, Nnaji and Jeter, that's 3 ex-McDonald's AA's and 5 top 30 kids.

We have a slightly lower rated but more experienced bench. I don't care about preseason rankings, though. They matter zilch.
Lists typed up by some guy always matter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I don't know, I see our talent level as significantly higher than #22 nationally. If we start Nico, BWill, Green, Nnaji and Jeter, that's 3 ex-McDonald's AA's and 5 top 30 kids.

Lists typed up by some guy always matter.
Only one list is really correct.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... on-top-25/" target="_blank
There is so much that is going to happen between now and the time that next season starts that it almost seems foolish to publish a preseason top 25 today.

But we’re doing it anyway!

A couple of notes: Who is going to head to the NBA is very much in the air right now. There are still a number of freshmen that have yet to announce where they are playing their college ball. The transfer market has barely heated up. For decisions that are up in the air, you’ll see an asterisk next to their name. We’re making predictions on what certain players will do and ranking based off of them.

So with all that said, here is the preseason top 25.

14. ARIZONA
WHO’S GONE: Justin Coleman, Ryan Luther
WHO’S BACK: Brandon Randolph, Dylan Smith, Chase Jeter, Brandon Williams, Alex Barcello, Ira Lee,
WHO’S COMING IN: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Zeke Nnaji
PROJECTED STARTERS: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Brandon Randolph, Ira Lee, Chase Jeter
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

NYCat wrote:http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/ ... on-top-25/
There is so much that is going to happen between now and the time that next season starts that it almost seems foolish to publish a preseason top 25 today.

But we’re doing it anyway!

A couple of notes: Who is going to head to the NBA is very much in the air right now. There are still a number of freshmen that have yet to announce where they are playing their college ball. The transfer market has barely heated up. For decisions that are up in the air, you’ll see an asterisk next to their name. We’re making predictions on what certain players will do and ranking based off of them.

So with all that said, here is the preseason top 25.

14. ARIZONA
WHO’S GONE: Justin Coleman, Ryan Luther
WHO’S BACK: Brandon Randolph, Dylan Smith, Chase Jeter, Brandon Williams, Alex Barcello, Ira Lee,
WHO’S COMING IN: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Zeke Nnaji
PROJECTED STARTERS: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Brandon Randolph, Ira Lee, Chase Jeter
Probably a little low. AZ is most likely a top ten team next year.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Well if you wanted Miller to change anything in system, tonight gave you an answer.

Do What We Do
prh

Post by prh »

Do what we do just win a title after a bunch of years of unmet expectations. Interesting
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

prh wrote:Do what we do just win a title after a bunch of years of unmet expectations. Interesting
Arizona definitely isn't the only one paddling on that ship.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Such a far cry from when Arizona went to play at Charlottesville
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:Well if you wanted Miller to change anything in system, tonight gave you an answer.

Do What We Do
At least it gets rid of the packline can't make a final four or win a natty talk.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 25-2019-20" target="_blank
17. Arizona Wildcats
The first team in the rankings that didn't play in this year's NCAA tournament, the Wildcats are going to rely heavily on the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. The headliners are top-10 guards Josh Green and Nico Mannion, who played together on the AAU circuit and will start immediately next season in Tucson. Freshman Brandon Williams was one of the bright spots for Sean Miller this season, and he's the top returnee on the perimeter. Assuming that there are no Arizona-related issues in this month's FBI trial, the Wildcats are a clear-cut top-20 team.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The packline can win a natty but it won't make you a sandwich.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Longhorned wrote:The packline can win a natty but it won't make you a sandwich.
Well UVA also had the #3 ranked offense and I think their defense was a lot worse in the tourney.
But I think you can win with basically any defensive scheme if you execute it at a high level and have the right type of players.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Irish27 wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 25-2019-20
17. Arizona Wildcats
The first team in the rankings that didn't play in this year's NCAA tournament, the Wildcats are going to rely heavily on the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. The headliners are top-10 guards Josh Green and Nico Mannion, who played together on the AAU circuit and will start immediately next season in Tucson. Freshman Brandon Williams was one of the bright spots for Sean Miller this season, and he's the top returnee on the perimeter. Assuming that there are no Arizona-related issues in this month's FBI trial, the Wildcats are a clear-cut top-20 team.

Cool.

But why the last line? Again, epsn.
Assuming that there are no Arizona-related issues in this month's FBI trial, the Wildcats are a clear-cut top-20 team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:Do what we do just win a title after a bunch of years of unmet expectations. Interesting
And my god the luck it took to get there.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I was having this argument with my roommate, he doesn't like me "disparaging" UVA, but I strongly believe this was one of the luckiest teams ever. They had >90% chance to lose three games in a row late and somehow found a way to win. Good for them to put themselves in position of course to win these games, but it just shows how much luck is involved in winning games in March. Luck that up to now, Miller has not really gotten much of.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I was having this argument with my roommate, he doesn't like me "disparaging" UVA, but I strongly believe this was one of the luckiest teams ever. They had >90% chance to lose three games in a row late and somehow found a way to win. Good for them to put themselves in position of course to win these games, but it just shows how much luck is involved in winning games in March. Luck that up to now, Miller has not really gotten much of.
Yeah, I'm pretty bitter about it to be honest. UVA is a deserving champion, but my god between the referees saving them in the Final Four game and the amazingly fortunate lucky final play of regularion in their Elite 8 game, I just have to bite my tongue. I'm unsure what basketball gods Arizona has pissed off, but man we need to sacrifice someone to these gods soon to get some damn luck in this Miller era.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty bitter about it to be honest. UVA is a deserving champion, but my god between the referees saving them in the Final Four game and the amazingly fortunate lucky final play of regularion in their Elite 8 game, I just have to bite my tongue. I'm unsure what basketball gods Arizona has pissed off, but man we need to sacrifice someone to these gods soon to get some damn luck in this Miller era.

haha agreed, we have been remarkably unlucky but I think that has to turn around sometime soon....right? Right?

I think we should be a back-end top 10 team in preseason polls but it seems like our range is more like 14-22, which I guess is still reasonable. That being said, just looking at the expected returning rosters, next year feels wide open. Teams like UK and Duke and Gonzaga that have been great the last few years I think will take a big step back. Feels to me like the two Michigan teams should be preseason 1/2 in some order, with UVA right behind them. After that, it's wide open.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Apparently everyone here has forgotten the three close (lucky???) wins in Arizona's 1997 championship run...

... Round of 32 - U of A, 73 - College of Charleston, 69

... Great 8 - U of A, 96 Providence, 92 (OT);

... National Championship - U of A, 84 Kentucky, 79 (OT)

If you think there wasn't considerable "luck" in that run, then you most likely didn't watch every game!!!

Let's be honest - our NC team was fully capable of beating and/or losing to anyone....

I doubt that many national championship runs don't include some "LUCK"
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:Apparently everyone here has forgotten the three close (lucky???) wins in Arizona's 1997 championship run...

If you think there wasn't considerable "luck" in that run, then you most likely didn't watch every game!!!

Let's be honest - our NC team was fully capable of beating and/or losing to anyone....

I agree with this, and with the necessity of luck to make a Final Four and to win a natty any year. But man, on the unlucky end, I still can't get over that phantom offensive foul called on Nick Johnson at the close of the first Wisky Elite Eight game with Aaron Gordon with position under the basket.

By contrast, Virginia got that technically correct foul call at the end against Auburn while shooting a 3-pointer after getting away with the double-dribble, but that's a call officials don't usually make. Instead, they make the team with the ball on the final possession win it without a whistle, with the unique exception of calling a phantom offensive foul on Arizona.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

pc in NM wrote:Apparently everyone here has forgotten the three close (lucky???) wins in Arizona's 1997 championship run...

Oh of course we had luck in 1997 to win the ship, but it seems like our luck has fully run out since then. That was 22 years ago...it's time we get a bit lucky again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This was 22 years ago. We've had every thing but luck since.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:

Oh of course we had luck in 1997 to win the ship, but it seems like our luck has fully run out since then. That was 22 years ago...it's time we get a bit lucky again.
Should've read this post first lol.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:

I agree with this, and with the necessity of luck to make a Final Four and to win a natty any year. But man, on the unlucky end, I still can't get over that phantom offensive foul called on Nick Johnson at the close of the first Wisky Elite Eight game with Aaron Gordon with position under the basket.

By contrast, Virginia got that technically correct foul call at the end against Auburn while shooting a 3-pointer after getting away with the double-dribble, but that's a call officials don't usually make. Instead, they make the team with the ball on the final possession win it without a whistle, with the unique exception of calling a phantom offensive foul on Arizona.
I agree wholeheartedly!!

I also wish I had the equanimity of Bruce Pearl as evidenced by his response to those egregious calls...

... but, I don't!!

I still can't get over the "lucky" ride Jay Williams took on on Jason Gardener's back in 2001!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:

What I can't get over that year was Ashley's broken foot. If that doesn't break, we win a NC and are 50/50 to go undefeated. Fact.

14-15 is also very frustrating for me. We faced arguably the best offensive half of basketball in tournament history and still almost won.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spiff I am with you in Ashley’s broken foot.

That year was the year...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

These way too early rankings are worthless but they are incredible content because there's nothing else to talk about

So far Arizona has been ranked

Vegas/ceaser's palace: 25/1 (top 10)
Sporting news: #22
NBC: #14
ESPN: #17

Now another one

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... igan-state" target="_blank
14. ARIZONA
This season: 17–15, missed NCAA tournament

Although it would appear Sean Miller’s fate as head coach is up in the air, Arizona should be fine so long as it can keep incoming standouts Nico Mannion and Josh Green in the fold. The Wildcats will be expected to help revive a down Pac-12, and both freshmen should be immediate starters, are ready to make an impact, and will help turn things around. Transfer Stone Gettings will also be eligible. They’ll need to get more out of Brandon Williams, and this will be a guard-driven team, but there’s almost no way they can be quite this bad again. This could be a bounce-back year if things shake out for the positive, but there’s still some roster flux that has to play out.
And another

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... texas-tech" target="_blank
21. Arizona Wildcats

2018-19 Record: 17-15

2018-19 Finish: No Postseason

With the team’s three leading scorers returning and the nation’s (currently) top-ranked recruiting class on its way to Tucson, it’s looking like last season’s disaster may wind up being an isolated incident.
Another

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... xt-season/" target="_blank
17. ARIZONA
Coach: Sean Miller
2018-19 record: 17-15

Notable players definitely gone: Justin Coleman, Ryan Luther

Other expected departures: N/A

Notable players expected to return: Brandon Randolph, Brandon Williams, Chase Jeter, Dylan Smith, Ira Lee, Devonaire Doutrive, Alex Barcello

Expected additions: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Zeke Nnaji, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Stone Gettings
Another
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 381228002/" target="_blank
25. Arizona (17-15). While coach Sean Miller's future is uncertain (he's at the center of a bribery trial), perhaps his parting gift to the program would be one of the best freshman classes in the country. Nico Mannion, Josh Green, and Zeke Nnaji are five-star talents good enough to get the Wildcats back to contending status.
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

And this beauty by Jeff Goodman. I guess we are adding another top 10 player to this class. Everyone, please meet Josh White.

https://watchstadium.com/news/preseason ... 4-08-2019/" target="_blank

23. ARIZONA: The key for the Wildcats will be the upcoming FBI investigation. If they come out of that unscathed, then they will likely add a couple of top-10 freshmen – Nico Mannion and Josh White – to a team that returns enough solid players from last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:And this beauty by Jeff Goodman. I guess we are adding another top 10 player to this class. Everyone, please meet Josh White.

23. ARIZONA: The key for the Wildcats will be the upcoming FBI investigation. If they come out of that unscathed, then they will likely add a couple of top-10 freshmen – Nico Mannion and Josh White – to a team that returns enough solid players from last year.
Cats should get Josh Yellow, Josh Purple and Josh Blue to have an all Josh color team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There's a reason why ESPN sent Goodman to East Bumfuckestan to follow the Ball circus.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Arizona is not winning the championship anytime soon if they're not a #1 seed. That's also the only way we're making a final four imo, have to be a #1 seed
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:And this beauty by Jeff Goodman. I guess we are adding another top 10 player to this class. Everyone, please meet Josh White.

Cats should get Josh Yellow, Josh Purple and Josh Blue to have an all Josh color team.
We're the Resivoir Dogs of college basketball.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:

Josh Blue plays soccer. he is pretty funny though.

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Question, which team do you think is better, this year's team or the 2012-2013 team?

Both teams had returning talent, top recruiting class, missed the tournament, etc. But both still haven't proved themselves enough.

2013 recruiting class:
Kaleb Tarczewski (#8)
Brandon Ashley (#18)
Grant Jarrett (#9)
Gabe York (#62)

2019 class:
Nico Mannion (#10)
Josh Green (#11)
Zeke Nnaji (#35)
Terry Armstrong (#53)
Christian Koloko (#168)

Here's the basketball reference page for the 2013 team

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2013.html" target="_blank

Mark Lyons (Sr.) =/< Nico Mannion (Fr) -- this is is kind of a tossup, Mannion is talented but Lyons was tough and won the Florida game and was also the leading scorer. Nico being more of a true point might be better for the team

Solomon Hill (Sr.) > Brandon Randolph (Jr.) -- Solo is so much better

Nick Johnson (So.) > Brandon Williams (So.) -- NJ & BW both 5★s or borderline five star/top 30 players. IDK how Williams will play out but NJ had to Solo & Lyons we're the main scorers, might be a tossup,

Kevin Parrom (Sr) < Josh Green (Fr) -- have to think Green is better even though Parrom's toughness was incredible

Kaleb Tarczewski (Fr) < Chase Jeter (St.) -- I think experience wins out here (if healthy)

Brandon Ashley (Fr) = Zeke Nnaji (Fr) -- tossup

Grant Jarrett (Fr) < Ira Lee (Jr) -- Jarret was talented but didn't get to play unfortunately, Lee wins by default because he'll have to play and doesn't have the post depth the '13 team had

Jordin Mayes (Jr) < Devonaire Doutrieve (So) -- DD wins by default because Mayes got 11mpg and the team was really only 7 deep. Have to think DD will play more than that.

Gabe York (Fr) = Terry Armstrong (Fr) -- both won't play much

Angelo Chol (So) = Christian Koloko (Fr) -- same as above

The Rest of the '13 team were walk on. The '20 teams still has Gettings, Barcello (who won't play), Smith (?)

I think the 2013 might be better? At least the core 5-7, while this year's team will have more depth at wing/guard, the former had post depth. Nico might be able to swing this to the '20 team single handedly. But I like the core of the '13 team better, if only Turner wasn't a knuckle head
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

'13 team was better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's about even between 12-13 and next year talent wise, but I think roster wise, next year is much more balanced.

We had zero true PG's 12-13 and a glut of posts. Next year, we have two true points and a balance of talent throughout positions. 12-13, our biggest issue wasn't ability, it was balance and players fitting together.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That 2013 incoming class was so overrated. And Tarc simply wasn't at all the talent he was evaluated to be. If Jeter can have a healthy season, his team defense will be on par with Tarc as a senior, but with the difference being that he can defend athletic big men and he isn't a black hole on offense.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I agree with Spiff, it's all about the point guards. It is still to be determined which team has the better shooters. That is where Virginia was elite, they had multiple good shooters from distance
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:That 2013 incoming class was so overrated.
I was thinking the same thing. These were all future NBA players. All 5 star, all top 5 players in their position.

Kaleb Tarczewski (#8)
Brandon Ashley (#18)
Grant Jarrett (#9)

Don't think any of them was able to get a cup of coffee in the league.

Even York was a 4 star #11 SG.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:I agree with this, and with the necessity of luck to make a Final Four and to win a natty any year. But man, on the unlucky end, I still can't get over that phantom offensive foul called on Nick Johnson at the close of the first Wisky Elite Eight game with Aaron Gordon with position under the basket.

This has been burning my ears since I watched that Final Four game. That mother fucking foul call on Nick Johnson.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:That 2013 incoming class was so overrated. And Tarc simply wasn't at all the talent he was evaluated to be. If Jeter can have a healthy season, his team defense will be on par with Tarc as a senior, but with the difference being that he can defend athletic big men and he isn't a black hole on offense.
I will say this for that class, outside of Grant Jerrett, all of those guys were bought in. That may have been due to the leadership of Johnson and McConnell, but ultimately guys buying in is what this program needs above all else.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:That 2013 incoming class was so overrated. And Tarc simply wasn't at all the talent he was evaluated to be. If Jeter can have a healthy season, his team defense will be on par with Tarc as a senior, but with the difference being that he can defend athletic big men and he isn't a black hole on offense.
I will say this for that class, outside of Grant Jerrett, all of those guys were bought in. That may have been due to the leadership of Johnson and McConnell, but ultimately guys buying in is what this program needs above all else.
Guys buying in for three or four seasons....

― Kinky Friedman
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

84Cat wrote:That is where Virginia was elite, they had multiple good shooters from distance
Three highly productive three point shooters. And they needed every one of them in that title game. Solid defense and a pass-friendly, no ball stopping offense.

Possible for us to reproduce that blueprint.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Guys buying in for three or four seasons....
That'd be great, but at this point I'd accept any form of baby steps.
prh

Post by prh »

Guards win in the tournament. Even the TJ years, we really only had one other top level guard (NJ, Stanley). Our guard talent will be much better this year, just a matter of whether it comes through.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Nike hoop summit is Friday

Josh Green is officially 6'6, up from 6'5
Wingspan: 6'10¼

Nico is 6'3 with a negative wingspan (6'2)

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Green's measurables remind me of Rondae.