Gabriel MF York!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

rgdeuce

Re: Gabriel MF York!

Post by rgdeuce »

Newportcat wrote:
You clearly do not know any Kansas basketball fans

You also clearly do not know many Arizona basketball fans outside of people on this board. I do not know a single Arizona basketball fan who looks back at either one of the last two years with fondness.

Its college basketball, one game can define a whole season. Beauty and Pain of NCAA Tourney
I know more than just a few Kansas fans and they all love that Team. I also have a brain and understand how most logical and rational fans think. Nobody looks back on the last two teams w fondness eh? That must be why TJ McConnell is now the most loved Arizona basketball player of all time. Or why fans go nuts over Aaron Gordons dunk contest, or continue to follow and pull for guys like Stanley and Rondae in the NBA like they are their brothers or sons. And no, one game does not define a whole season unless its a loss that keeps you out of the NCAA tournament. Its a free for all shitfest where the best teams can go home as easily as they can move on. Which is why a 32-2 team can lose in the sweet 16 and still be ranked in the top 5 at the end of the season polls and some cinderella who makes a final four may not necessarily be ranked in the top 5 in the same poll. Its the reason why Miller said his "im not going to apologize for going 34-4 (or whatever it was)" comment. The "fans" he told to go root for ASU, he was speaking to YOU.

There is a reason why you are in the minority here with your "beliefs" on how college basketball works. It isn't the website. Your understanding of things falls in line with the frontrunning, casual fans who post on the Daily Star comments.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newport is being such a chode. You really gotta stop posting until we get to a final four since this is all so meaningless to you.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Newportcat wrote:How is it Idiotic? I think any season at Arizona that does not end in a Final Four is basically an irrelevant season just like fans of top programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Michigan State do. Those fans do not get excited about losing in Elite 8 games. You think Kansas fans look back at their 1997 team with pride...hell no I have a buddy who is a Kansas fan and he will still say the 1997 was the best team at Kansas not to make a final four and is pissed we beat them.
Re: 96-97 Kansas team. Yes, they do look at that team with pride. That team was loaded and considered one of the greatest teams of all time, by their fans and everyone else. Pierce, Lafrentz, Vaughn, Pollard, and plenty more. That team beats a ton of past national champions in a best of three. They just caught a team of destiny on the wrong night. But I can promise you most Kansas teams have a great fondness of that team. They only lost one other game all year. So you look at them more as one of the greatest teams to not win a title or make a final four, not these chokers that fell short, as long as you have a moderately realistic view of how crazy the tournament and sports in general can be.

And no, you dont get excited about LOSING in the elite 8. But reaching the elite 8 is still an accomplishment that is celebrated by everyone at the time, doesn't matter which school. The Derrick Williams elite 8 team, that was easier to swallow because nobody expected us to get there and we knocked off Duke in the process. It still hurt, but you look back at it with fondness. Same with the last two teams, both can go down as all time great Arizona teams, even without the big prize at the end. Yes, it was disappointing to fall short both times, especially with how good we were, but, you threw out that Kansas team right? All three of those Arizona elite 8 teams went further. One game does not define a whole season. One game does not make a season a failure, but it can enhance a failing/mediocre/good season into something more.

You also clearly do not know many Arizona basketball fans outside of people on this board. I do not know a single Arizona basketball fan who looks back at either one of the last two years with fondness.

Its college basketball, one game can define a whole season. Beauty and Pain of NCAA Tourney
No, YOU clearly do not know any Kansas BB fans. At least not any whose fandom predates that '97 team.

Your friends must be quite an assortment, continuously denigrating players and teams that accomplished more of consequence before they could legally drink than you and your "overachiever posse" will before you are food for worms. And please don't try and argue that fact with some "I am really good at my job (that is meaningless to everyone but my family)" nonsense.

Maybe you are, but I doubt you are in the top 2.3% as many years than not. And in case you are wondering, that is 8 divided by 351.

You enjoy being miserable... That's your issue. But at least you take some pleasure in it.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:Quick question: how many of you remember where you were when D-Will had "the block?" Ok great. Yes, a year without a FF can still be relevant.
I remember removing my shirt and running around the house when he hit the 3 point play against Texas.
I remember being in an airport during that game. During the time before the 5 second call, I finally found a TV and tried to change the channel. Next thing I know the TV is static and making a lot of noise. Ran away and found my girlfriend just as she started screaming "We won! We won! WTF WTF we won!!!"
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I remember moments before D Will's three point play throwing a pair of toe-nail clippers and they bounced and hit the oven door in my apartment and took a chip out of the paint. It was primer grey underneath. Then going nuts over the three point play. I distinctly remember the crying UT girl in the stands who threw up the hookem horns sign and laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. I remember a close game with Duke that got out of hand in the matter of minutes and all you could do is bask in the glory. I remember last year, hearing D'angelo Russell this, Russell that, and watching our boys completely shut him down. It was a work of art. I remember my stomach turning against Xavier, and TJ putting the team on his back and willing that victory, I remember his butter smooth pull up jumper a step or two inside the 3 pt line that finally put that feeling at ease. The year before that I remember everyone worried about Gonzaga being a giant killer and us beating the absolute piss out of them. I remember Nick Johnson sucking the place up the whole San Diego State team, and then erasing it all by throwing the team on his back and going absolutely crazy in the games closing minutes. They are all big games and big moments. Getting to elite 8s just means u get to feel more of them every season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:I remember moments before D Will's three point play throwing a pair of toe-nail clippers and they bounced and hit the oven door in my apartment and took a chip out of the paint. It was primer grey underneath. Then going nuts over the three point play. I distinctly remember the crying UT girl in the stands who threw up the hookem horns sign and laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. I remember a close game with Duke that got out of hand in the matter of minutes and all you could do is bask in the glory. I remember last year, hearing D'angelo Russell this, Russell that, and watching our boys completely shut him down. It was a work of art. I remember my stomach turning against Xavier, and TJ putting the team on his back and willing that victory, I remember his butter smooth pull up jumper a step or two inside the 3 pt line that finally put that feeling at ease. The year before that I remember everyone worried about Gonzaga being a giant killer and us beating the absolute piss out of them. I remember Nick Johnson sucking the place up the whole San Diego State team, and then erasing it all by throwing the team on his back and going absolutely crazy in the games closing minutes. They are all big games and big moments. Getting to elite 8s just means u get to feel more of them every season.
Other moments just in the last 3-4 years:

The Florida miracle.
Nick's game saving block against SDSU in Hawaii.
Slapping Duke around in Anaheim.
Slapping Duke around in NYC.
TJ's goodbye.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Other moments just in the last 3-4 years:

The Florida miracle.
Nick's game saving block against SDSU in Hawaii.
Slapping Duke around in Anaheim.
Slapping Duke around in NYC.
TJ's goodbye.
Derrick Williams' block in the whiteout vs Washington; that big second half comeback in Ann Arbor in a game that felt like a Saturday afternoon elite 8 game; we can go on and on. And I was watching that MSG Duke game in Las Vegas with my brother-in-law, a Duke fan, so that made it even sweeter.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:
Newportcat wrote:How is it Idiotic? I think any season at Arizona that does not end in a Final Four is basically an irrelevant season just like fans of top programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Michigan State do. Those fans do not get excited about losing in Elite 8 games. You think Kansas fans look back at their 1997 team with pride...hell no I have a buddy who is a Kansas fan and he will still say the 1997 was the best team at Kansas not to make a final four and is pissed we beat them.
Re: 96-97 Kansas team. Yes, they do look at that team with pride. That team was loaded and considered one of the greatest teams of all time, by their fans and everyone else. Pierce, Lafrentz, Vaughn, Pollard, and plenty more. That team beats a ton of past national champions in a best of three. They just caught a team of destiny on the wrong night. But I can promise you most Kansas teams have a great fondness of that team. They only lost one other game all year. So you look at them more as one of the greatest teams to not win a title or make a final four, not these chokers that fell short, as long as you have a moderately realistic view of how crazy the tournament and sports in general can be.

And no, you dont get excited about LOSING in the elite 8. But reaching the elite 8 is still an accomplishment that is celebrated by everyone at the time, doesn't matter which school. The Derrick Williams elite 8 team, that was easier to swallow because nobody expected us to get there and we knocked off Duke in the process. It still hurt, but you look back at it with fondness. Same with the last two teams, both can go down as all time great Arizona teams, even without the big prize at the end. Yes, it was disappointing to fall short both times, especially with how good we were, but, you threw out that Kansas team right? All three of those Arizona elite 8 teams went further. One game does not define a whole season. One game does not make a season a failure, but it can enhance a failing/mediocre/good season into something more.

No, YOU clearly do not know any Kansas BB fans. At least not any whose fandom predates that '97 team.

Your friends must be quite an assortment, continuously denigrating players and teams that accomplished more of consequence before they could legally drink than you and your "overachiever posse" will before you are food for worms. And please don't try and argue that fact with some "I am really good at my job (that is meaningless to everyone but my family)" nonsense.

Maybe you are, but I doubt you are in the top 2.3% as many years than not. And in case you are wondering, that is 8 divided by 351.

You enjoy being miserable... That's your issue. But at least you take some pleasure in it.
Harvey, I actually do not have a job but started and now run two successful companies. I also hate to burst your bubble but been in the top 2.3% for awhile now too. As I said before, if you knew me, you would realize making the argument that I am not successful in real life is a really dumb argument.

Sorry that my expectations are the same as our recruits for our program and do not get super excited at regular season, PAC 12 tournament, or early NCAA games that no fans outside of die hards in our program will ever remember. We still have a shot at making a Final Four but if we do not, this year will be a completely irrelevant year and I can not see any fans saying "Remember the 2016 team". Sorry if people think I am a chode for saying that but it is the Truth. In college basketball, you are remembered for how you perform in the NCAA Tournament and making Elite 8's is not what Elite programs are known for. If you are ok with our program not being an Elite program then I can see why you would be really excited about former events like dramatic victories in the Round of 32, or PAC 12 Tournament titles or PAC 12 regular season championships. Personally at this point I only get excited or remember things from the prism of viewing our program as the elite program it once was and should be. The only thing Miller can do which will bring me great joy for our team is making a Final Four. Really surprised others do not feel the same way as I can not think of a single fan I know who feels differently especially after the past two years. We could go undefeated next year but if we lose in the Elite 8 again, we still will have accomplished nothing when comparing us to other Elite programs.
My goal is to win a national championship! Anything less is unacceptable and I’m going to do anything I can to get it done. The Final Four next year is in Phoenix so that would be crazy for our fans.

We’ll have big expectations, but I don’t want anything less than that!
- http://usatodayhss.com/2016/the-rawle-a ... a-wildcats
On if his experience at Arizona lived up to expectations: “No. We lost in the Elite Eight. I watched that happen last year. I didn’t come to Arizona to lose in the Elite Eight again. Simple as that. I didn’t come here to play for second place, third place, I came here to play for the championship…

“We lost the game to get to the Final Four. So, no.
- http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 030dc.html

I bet some fans here still fondly remember when the Suns beat the Lakers in the playoffs in like 2006 and 2007
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I agree that teams are remembered for the NCAA Tourney the most......so many of Lute's teams were powerhouses during the year, won the P10 and P10 Tourney but then had first round flameouts or under-performed in the Big Dance......yet he's a HOF'er and remembered mostly for his NC and 3 Arizona Final Fours.

But, I also do think winning the conference and conference tourney is very important as well......

Harvey, Newport and others who are attacking each other......can y'all try to be more civil towards each other please?

In the end, we are all passionate Wildcat fans.....it's cool to disagree with each other but keeping it civil benefits us all......this is also why I don't post anymore in the Politics thread ;-)......

Damn, I really, really hope this team can make it to the Sweet 16.....for this team that would be a good goal.......sadly, anything more would be pure icing IMHO. Disappointing to have such a low expectation this year......anyways, BTFD and PEACE!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Im personally rooting for a good ol fashioned prison shanking in here
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He is Gabriel MF York if he can get an NBA look! Not sure how that happened with average defense and less than average handles, but Steve Kerr had a long NBA career with less athleticism, although a better 3 pt shot.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zero chance
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chicat wrote:
Hell yeah sacto!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's amazing how players can absorb their coach's style of communication/rhetoric: Gabe's countenance, gesticulation, and voice pitch are so reminiscent of CSM.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Totally. He even made a few CSM facial gestures.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

scored 18pts
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

luteformayor2 wrote:scored 18pts
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

He got signed by the Hornets?

damn wanted him in Sac. Congrats Gabe.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not signed. Just getting a chance in summer league.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gabe is probably the best Arizona performer in summer league so far.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Gabe is probably the best Arizona performer in summer league so far.
I assume you are only referring to Arizona players on our team last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Gabe is probably the best Arizona performer in summer league so far.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nice, good luck NJ
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Actually, going to Vegas 7/27-29, will there be summer league games?

Which teams will should I go see to cheer for the cats?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
No. Nick and Stanley are both shooting under 30% from the field.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Well if your just looking at FG%, then Brandon is the guy you want. He is shooting over 50% with 8 RPG to boot. I personally think Stanley, Nick, and Brandon are having a better summer league so far and I am a huge Gabe York guy. The game is more than just shooting.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Well if your just looking at FG%, then Brandon is the guy you want. He is shooting over 50% with 8 RPG to boot. I personally think Stanley, Nick, and Brandon are having a better summer league so far and I am a huge Gabe York guy. The game is more than just shooting.
I'm not just looking at shooting, but under 30% is pretty bad. Lotta Cats to root for.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Headed to Italy:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The money must be pretty good over there, given how quickly some of these guys jump at the opportunity to leave and abandon (at least temporarily) the NBA dream.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

York never had a chance for the NBA, same with Anderson. Fun to play in the summer leagues, something to tell your kids, but very cool, Italy is much nicer that other places to play.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Good for Gabe. Hope that he takes full advantage of all the cultural opportunities. Cremona is just a beautiful place to spend a season or so.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Beachcat97 wrote:The money must be pretty good over there, given how quickly some of these guys jump at the opportunity to leave and abandon (at least temporarily) the NBA dream.
Their dream of making the NBA starts in Europe. A lot of these guys were never good enough, at least in college, to make the league.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TucsonClip wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:The money must be pretty good over there, given how quickly some of these guys jump at the opportunity to leave and abandon (at least temporarily) the NBA dream.
Their dream of making the NBA starts in Europe. A lot of these guys were never good enough, at least in college, to make the league.
True. More and more guys are taking a path to the NBA that goes through Europe. I bet the money is decent, though. Like, probably six figures, right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
It was gonna be Europe or D League for Gabe next year regardless. There's no way he was going to make an NBA roster right off the bat. The work he needs can be in Italy or a D league city. I'd pick Italy too.

The only way I'd go otherwise is if he had a legit chance to make a roster this year. That way, you look for a mid-year callup, but I doubt there was any chance of that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
It was gonna be Europe or D League for Gabe next year regardless. There's no way he was going to make an NBA roster right off the bat. The work he needs can be in Italy or a D league city. I'd pick Italy too.

The only way I'd go otherwise is if he had a legit chance to make a roster this year. That way, you look for a mid-year callup, but I doubt there was any chance of that.

Europe is financially better too than the D league. Making $100K+ instead of $25K. NBA summer leagues only pay per diem, there is no salary.

There are 6700 American basketball players playing in overseas professional leagues. Just be like Mike Wright (RIP) and the rest of Arizona players who weren't NBA good and and had a very long and successful career overseas.

Very few Americans go college => Europe => NBA. Although some like Jordan Farmar go: college => NBA => Europe => NBA
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Europe is financially better too than the D league. Making $100K+ instead of $25K. NBA summer leagues only pay per diem, there is no salary.

There are 6700 American basketball players playing in overseas professional leagues. Just be like Mike Wright (RIP) and the rest of Arizona players who weren't NBA good and and had a very long and successful career overseas.

Very few Americans go college => Europe => NBA. Although some like Jordan Farmar go: college => NBA => Europe => NBA
The major disadvantage of Europe is that you can't be called up for a 10 day contract. D League leaves you one NBA injury from potentially being in the show.

I don't see that with Gabe, though. Regardless of whether he goes D League or Europe, he needs to show something sustained if he is going to get consideration from the league. It will probably take a very good season to get him to the point of potentially sticking.

Might as well spend that year getting paid more and not having to hang out in Reno and Fort Wayne.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Beachcat97 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
True. More and more guys are taking a path to the NBA that goes through Europe. I bet the money is decent, though. Like, probably six figures, right?
Probably in that range. He'll be making more playing in Italy than he would have in the D-League.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I would bet he gets a contract for about 80-100k a year
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd love to live in Cremona.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Cant beat making close to six figures in your early 20s playing a game. Especially overseas, getting to travel and see many different places and experiencing a new culture. Good for him. While I'm a person who lives life with no regrets, I sometimes kick myself for turning down an opportunity to play professional baseball overseas. My two friends had the times of their lives, and baseball is so small-time over there compared to soccer and basketball, and the pay is not even close either.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Phenomenal

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

that 40-footer at the buzzer
// wide-eyed emoji
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

When Gabe cooks he turns into Klay Thompson - lite minus a few inches.

He's probably going to throw in a few terrible games but when he gets going he can take over a game at any level.

Also loved his lefty layup. After getting swatted so much by Centers trying to posterize ppl like it was still high school he finally is realizing he can make off balanced layups instead of getting rejected when he goes hard to hole and uses his bounce.

I could see this kid getting a 10-day contract or two in his career.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Great vid of York. Thanks Jefe!

Question: Why are there 3 arc lines? Is the HS 3 point line smaller and is this arena used for HS games then?